1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Union Jack India Pale Ale - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Union Jack India Pale AleUnion Jack India Pale Ale

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: GClarkage on 08-14-2007)
View: Beers (63) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Union Jack India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,160 | Reviews: 1,096 | Show All Ratings:
raiser

Tried this at a tasting of IPA's at Pacific Park
Market in Aliso Viejo. It was one of the better
brews opened, and was in GREAT company including
90 minute, Stone 10th IPA (3L), Dales Pale, Hop
Henge, Port 2nd Anniv, GF West Coast IPA

A: light orange, small white head, good retention.

S: Pungent hops, fruity fruity fruit.

T: bitter hops with sweet tangy fruit and citrus, and a touch of caramel malt to finish.
This is the fruitiest IPA I have had yet.

M: Crisp carbonation, with medium body.

D: A pretty good IPA all-around. This was recommended to me earlier in the day by Jeff at O'Shea brewing (owner) as his session beer. I can see why. It's readily available, not unreasonably priced, extremely drinkable.
It's a flavor explosion for an IPA. If you like fruit beers and hop beers, this is a great combination of the two.

05-25-2008 03:13:52 | More by raiser
timholio

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

I thought this was a British beer I had not heard of yet when I ordered it...its a CA brew. Anyway I was completely fooled and it compares well to a Fullers ESB but is milder and no 'fruity' undertone. Lots of citrus,piney, lovely hops not overpowering.

The 7.5% is surprising I would have thought it was lower. I would drink this again, even as a session beer.

03-25-2010 01:21:25 | More by timholio
Melikeydahop

3.88/5  rDev -8.7%

I was excited to try this brew...saw this one at the local beer shop a couple of months ago, missed my opportunity then..wasn't about to miss it a second time. Bottled on 5/24/12..so very fresh

It has a nice amber appearance, bout one finger of thick off white head, and a nice hoppy citrus smell (mostly grapefruit), with maybe a little butterscotch in there as well. The nose reminds me a lot of Stone IPA. Was excited to get into this.

Unfortunately for me Union Jack fell far short on taste, which in my book is 80 percent of the experience. This brew clocks in at 7.5% ABV and you can taste every bit of that, especially when it warms. Like a shot of rotgut vodka on the back end. Yes it has some nice hoppy grapefruit and caramel flavors but when I can taste the booze on a single IPA, I'm very dissapointed..If you're looking for an IPA to try and haven't tried Ithaca's Flower Power (my personal fav..a very underrated beer IMO), Stone IPA, or Green Flash's West Coast IPA, try those before you give this one a whirl.

06-21-2012 00:02:47 | More by Melikeydahop
WalterHeisenberg

New Mexico

4.98/5  rDev +17.2%

Poured into giant beer mug
A: Hazy yellow. Nice foamyfat head. Good lacing. Some carbonation.head dies to a foamy cap. In my opinion a sign of quality.
S: malty citrus hoppy orange lemon bready! Smells good
T:Orang citrus hoppy first bready maltycitrusy finishes malty bready bitter orande rind Minimal bitterness.Very nicely balanced. Lingering bitter aftertast.Smooth rich tasty. No hint whatsoever ever of the 7.5%. Nice!
M:Thick smooth
O:Nice high abv!looks tasty IS mighty tasty. I feel like this drinks big more like a a DIPA Verybalanced. Not a hop bomb or maybe the bitter is well balanced.but really excellent smooth smooth smooth. A bit spendy but you what you pay for.Can't wait to get ahold of a double jack !!

04-23-2013 01:09:35 | More by WalterHeisenberg
Edward19

4.65/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Purchased at Wegman's in Liverpool NY. Poured into a snifter. Great smell - piney and grapefruit. Taste is similar to the smell. Nice dry finish. Nice mixture of malts and hops. Overall an outstanding beer. I would definitley get again. The beer was at room tempurate when consumed.

11-22-2013 01:41:58 | More by Edward19
FitnessForBeer

4.16/5  rDev -2.1%

Part of variety pack

A: pours a dark golden straw color. Finger and half of head, disappeared quickly
S:floral and citrus smell, very west coast.
T: dark sweet malts caramel, hop bitterness balanced nicely on end. Can tell it's bigger IPA with more abv.
M: great, like any IPA the hops just seem to coat the inside of your mouth and you keep getting that taste
O: solid IPA, though with so much great IPAs in Cali not sure I would purchase again over something I can get regularly like sucks or sculpin

03-28-2014 23:40:20 | More by FitnessForBeer
Bluetick

4.72/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Dark Orange

S - Pine Hops with a hint florals peach

T - Strong hops at first with floral and peachy notes in the middle, clean aftertaste

M - A bit heavy, but too much so. Heavier than say Racer 5.

D - Very drinkable. By the third one, you may feel a bit full.

One of my favorite IPAs. I buy it regularly at the house. Just as good on draft as well.

07-20-2009 23:54:16 | More by Bluetick
nassaubeercop

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

Served from a fresh filled growler from the local beer store into a pint glass.

A- Amber with two fingers of white sea foamy head which stayed viable while drinking. (I read several reviews which stated the head dissipated quickly, this was not the case (maybe the growler was the difference?)) As I drank and the level of beer in the glass went down, uneven rings of lace were left on the glass where the head had once been.

S- Piney hops, very pleasant.

T- Lots of bitter hops, some citrus notes. Just the right amount of bitterness.

M- Medium with some carbonation, nice bitter aftertaste in the back of the mouth.

O- If you like hops you will enjoy this beer, if hops aint your thing then move along this beer is not for you.

Serving type: growler

08-18-2011 17:30:15 | More by nassaubeercop
mcslain

4.48/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours with modest white head and is a surprisingly pale ale like gold. Hints of red shine through, but this is a light and clear looking brew.
Nose is good, you can smell grapefruit hops and the promise of some alcohol.
Taste is light, crisp, full of grapefruit and citrus hops. Some pineapple and tropical fruit, but make no mistake, primarily grapefruit. The hops taste is not the smack you in the face double IPA variety however. The beer is so light malt wise that it allows the hops that are there to really shine. Yet it remains balanced. This is exactly what I aim for when I make home brew.
Mouth and carbonation are perfect for this beer. I hate to say its a hop delivery system, because this beer isn't a hop bomb. But everything is clearly set up for the hops. Just a really well made beer. Goes onto my 'search out and purchase when seen' list.

03-27-2012 00:21:13 | More by mcslain
kjlcm

New Hampshire

4.6/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle

a - Hazy gold appearance with a solid white laced head, A ice level of carbonation,

s - A perfect citrus, grapefruit hop smell in my book! Very hoppy without the cat pea smell some beers tend to get.

t - Nice hop bite but some balance as well. The hops are certainly not overwhelming. Definitely a very balanced IPA.

m - Solid mouthfeel with a pleasant aftertaste.

o - A solid IPA. Definitely a staple in our household. Higly recommended.

08-17-2013 23:58:09 | More by kjlcm
BrewThru_29

3.96/5  rDev -6.8%

Appearance: Clear, bright gold. 2 finger head that slowly recedes and leaves nice lacing. Nice!

Smell: Pale malts. Citrus. Maybe a little pine.

Taste: Actually pretty sweet up front. Bittering hops on the tail end, but in a good way.

Mouthfeel: Nothing incredible here. Nothing bad either. Not harsh for the ABV, but I've had smoother as well. Overall, nothing to complain about. Very drinkable.

Overall: Last beer of my sixer. Very good IPA. I will buy it again come summer.

03-04-2014 00:25:19 | More by BrewThru_29
BTodd

4.14/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle poured into pint glass.

A-Fairly light in color, with a hint of orange. Nice, fine head dissipating relatively quickly.

S-Assertive hops with floral and green notes. Less pine than some others I've had. Slight, sweet malt aroma as well.

T-Hop balance for sure, but like smell, nice malt to back it up. Floral, citrus hop flavor is prominent for me.

M-Lively carbonation with good mouthfeel that isn't too heavy.

O-A great IPA that will be a go-to for me from here on. It's readily available and not too highly priced with all the other IPAs in this realm increasing.

03-22-2014 16:48:55 | More by BTodd
HopHeadLouie

4.88/5  rDev +14.8%

Love is not a strong enough emotion for how I feel about this beer! Hot Damn! I'm ready to make a serious commitment to you Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA you beautiful bastard! I have not been too impressed with previous FW offerings, but this is damn near perfection! Pungent hops blast the nose, I'm thinking Cascade, not sure. Smells terrific! Pours orange copper with perfect head. Taste is out of this world! A rich tapestry of oily west coast hop flavor, grapefruit and pine balanced to perfection. At 7.7 it feels like a DIPA but it so well integrated and drinkable that it deserves it's own classification, maybe IPA+ This is a truly special beer!

05-13-2008 17:17:02 | More by HopHeadLouie
jamdugan

Oregon

4.72/5  rDev +11.1%

Matt Brynidlson is a master brewer. I know he's good friends with Vinnie Cilurzo of Russian River, and it shows in his ability to make an IPA. Matt started off studying hops in the lab, and later became a brewer. He knows how a West Coast IPA should taste and smell. This is one of the best IPA's you'll find on the West Coast. Much respect to the Firestone Walker crew for pushing the envelope of craft brewing in America.

02-19-2009 05:57:11 | More by jamdugan
malthegal

3.93/5  rDev -7.5%

A - Good lacing, nice foamy white head. Golden amber in color

S - Caramel, pine, and oak hints.

T - Lots of lingering bitter aftertastes, nicely balanced with its initial sweetness.

M - Excellent carbonation, smooth, medium-bodied.

D - A very enjoyable drink, but would probably only have one per sitting due to its sweetness.

05-17-2010 03:42:56 | More by malthegal
SFGuy187

4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

This is my new favorite go-to single IPA.

A: Pours a nice orange-yellow with excellent carbonation and head retention. Lacing is prominent on the glass.

S: Bouquet of pine and citrus ... well balanced on the nose and definitely a west-coat IPA.

T: A little bitter up front but well balanced by the malt character. Grapefruit, pine resin and assorted citrus. It's a delight.

M: This is a very aggressive single IPA but it drinks very well at 7.5%. Carbonation is strong and the balanced bitterness with the malts goes down well.

O: Dangerously drinkable. I've had a few sessions where I forgot this weighed in at 7.5%. My favorite representation of the west coast single IPA at the moment.

05-31-2011 23:25:03 | More by SFGuy187
dbhall

South Carolina

3.88/5  rDev -8.7%

nice fluffy white head about a quarter inch. appearance was a little bit amber with bubbles racing up the glass.
smell of citrus and a little pine, but honestly my smell was off because of allergies which could also affect the taste.
taste was a good character of resin and orange peel.
little watery, but overall good mouthfeel.
good ipa that i wouldnt hesitate to drink again.

06-01-2011 19:16:22 | More by dbhall
thebornotaku

So I figured -- I've had the DBA, and I've had the Double Jack (Firestone's Double IPA), I've had 805, I've had nectar ales... but I realized... I never had their normal IPA! After trying their Double IPA two days ago at a bar (It was really good, by the way... if you like IPAs, give it a try), I figured I should pick up their normal IPA and give it a shot. So, here goes...

Picked up a 22 from work. Initial impressions good, bottle presentation is on par with everything else Firestone does. Well designed label, no-nonsense. My only complaint is that I wish they gave descriptions of their beers (what makes it special, etc) on the label but no worries. 7.5% ABV and a 22 means this'll be a good "after-work" beer.

Cracked the cap and immediately you're greeted with a nice balanced hop profile, citrusy aromas and a little fruit too. It's a pleasant and inviting smell. On we go...

Pours well, a nice rich amber color that's not too dark. About on par with pretty much every other IPA I've had in terms of color. The head is minimal (keep in mind though: I pour my beers very carefully because I _do not_ like head on my beers), lacing on the glass is good and so far, about 1/4 glass in, it's still retaining a small white head right on top. In this glass (regular pint glass shape, it's actually a SF Giants world championship glass), there's plenty of bubbles coming up through the beer.

On to the important thing though...

The taste.

This is where the Union Jack stands out. The citrusy aromas from earlier carry on in to the flavor, and this beer is a little fruity and citrusy up front with the hops coming in quickly for that distinct IPA hop bitterness. It's smoother than other IPAs I've had, and more balanced. The bitterness carries through to the aftertaste and lingers a little bit, making you want more. It's a wee bit malty too, which is nice because it makes this beer a lot more balanced than other IPAs, too.

Overall, I would highly recommend this. I've yet to have anything from Firestone Walker that I haven't enjoyed, and this is no exception. More aggressive than the DBA (which is still one of my favorites), and less aggressive than the Double Jack. Firestone did a good job on this beer and on all their other brews, too. If you're ever debating, then debate no longer.

04-15-2012 07:35:32 | More by thebornotaku
BERNUTBAG

4.9/5  rDev +15.3%

This is one of the best IPA's that i have had next to Zombie Dust, Heady Topper, and the Furious,This beer just came to new hampshire, awesome!! I would of gave it all fives, but the smell is very light on this one. Specially after you take a wiff of Heady Topper. will keep this one on stock for sure.

05-12-2012 12:48:16 | More by BERNUTBAG
CushyGig

4.38/5  rDev +3.1%

Nose was very sweet and fruity with notes of pineapple and mango. A slightly hazed yellow-orange beer. the head with thin but liked to produce a lot of lace. Flavors dry and citrusy but with a firm malt background and complimenting hoppiness rather than being cumbersome. Bitterness really only evident in the aftertaste where it rounds things out and reminds you that you are drinking an IPA. The beer has a very clean, crisp, slightly spicy freshness that is quite nice.

09-14-2011 20:59:55 | More by CushyGig
adkrogue

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from bottle into a chalice glass.

A: Almost an amber color, not quite as dark or deep but a nice orangish color with a creamy just off-white head. I poured this 20 mins ago and let it settle and the head hasn't dissipated at all.
S: Floral, grapefruit. Definitely more floral than piney.
T: Delicious? It is a really really good IPA. Hoppy but not overwhelming. Hops taste like they smell to me, floral, citrusy. A bit more pine in the taste than I picked up in the nose. Crisp, clean. Really balanced with the malts and the alcohol is subtle. Doesn't take like 7.5%. Nice clean finish with no lingering bitterness.
M: Best part. Medium body but so smooth. Its silk, in a delicious beer. This beer is making love to my mouth.

05-10-2012 00:20:10 | More by adkrogue
Streetcore

4.3/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle

A: Light amber with a sticky white head.

S: Grapefruit, pungent hops, musty, ripe citrus, soft pineapple, fresh cut grass, some floral notes coming through

T: Lemon zest, grapefruit, light biscuity malt, herbal, mint

M: Light mouthfeel, some slick hop oils sticking around

O: This is my first brew from Firestone and it won't be the last!

05-10-2012 02:39:30 | More by Streetcore
slader

3.96/5  rDev -6.8%

Solid example of the IPA style. Definitely a big beer with a robust flavor that lingers. I like that the name is representative of the styles roots. I've never met a Firestone I didn't like. I'll admit that sometimes I have trouble fulfilling the 250 character requirement for these reviews!

06-20-2013 03:43:03 | More by slader
harveystarr

Ontario (Canada)

3.89/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Single bottle from Premier Gourmet in Amherst, NY enjoyed outside on the patio on a warm calm evening.

Billed as a big IPA but big time quaffable if you ask me. Smooth and complex, mixing pine, fruit together in one hop drenching. I'm not usually a big IPA or hopheads guy, but when it's right, it's right.

I'll be buying more this summer.

06-27-2013 01:36:25 | More by harveystarr
Shooter1960

4.79/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Great beer. The taste doesn't slam you in the mouth with hops but delivers a good strong hop presence that is consistent throughout. Very good mouth feel, light lacing on the glass. Unfortunately it is not available in Florida and I only get to try it when traveling in the northeast.

06-28-2013 20:08:25 | More by Shooter1960
Union Jack India Pale Ale from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.