Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

Union Jack India Pale Ale | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Union Jack India Pale AleUnion Jack India Pale Ale

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Added by beerguy101 on 10-09-2003

Reviews: 1,303 | Ratings: 6,294
4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

Review from notes - Quaffed on 2/27/12. Bottled on 1/20/12

Pours a nice golden body, small bubbly white head. Nice lacing and retention.

Aroma packed with lots of citrus, particularly orange and grapefruit. Hint of malt in the background, nothing overly noticeable.

Taste has lots of bitter citrus notes like lemon and grapefruit upfront. Pale malts provide a slight but good foundation. Superb flavor, bitter and refreshing.

Medium in both carbonation and body.

Great brew, one that I could see myself buying regularly.

4.64/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours clear orange into a tulip glass from a 330ml can; head is white, 4 fingers high, and smooth with moderate retention. It takes ages to lessen.

The nose is all clementines, grapefruit, lychee, apricots, and some pine underneath. It isn't overpowering like some AIPA's but I got a noseful the second I opened the can. There's also a floral quality to this aroma, as well as a malty, hoppy base.

The taste follows the nose, and then some; tropical fruit, grapefruit, citrus, and melon assault the tongue followed diligently by big resiny pine forest, grass, floral notes, and then coasted over in a fresh, bitter wave of hops which chase the fruit all the way down. It's gorgeously refreshing, sweet, and cool with beautifully balanced flavours. I was shocked to discover this was 7.5% ABV, you can't tell in the slightest.

In the mouth it feels as smooth, wet, and fresh as fruit juice, no oiliness, clinging or drying quality. It's light-medium bodied, with low carbonation.

This for me is one of the better AIPA's out there in terms of balance, and overall refreshing quality. My go-to IPA from now on, this is outstanding.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Here is my re-take on this fine IPA.

Pours a nice honey gold color with a decent 1 finger head. After a few minutes, head dissipated to a very fine ring around the edge of glass.

Aroma is of strong hops. Mostly C-hops with some light sweetness. Main components are cool herbal hops, grapefruit, light lemon, apricot and pine. This is a looking to be one good IPA.

This is a good IPA. No, its a great IPA. Firestone Walker really pulled out all the stops to make this monster of a beer. Begins with a good hop punch upfront with grapefruit, light pineapple, and various citrus flavors, then slowly gives way to a sweet caramel malts which really brings this tropical IPA into line. Damn tasty.

Mouthfeel was superb. Like Sculpin, AleSmith IPA, and Blind Pig, it is big, full and viscous. Excellent in every respect.

Drinkability is damn dangerous. I couldn't believe that this was a 7.5 ABV beer. Its so good that Union Jack just replaced Torpedo as my IPA of choice!

3.42/5  rDev -19.1%

A: golden honey with hints of orange
S:lots of crisp grapefruit rind, pine, bread -- very nice.
T: big rich full; lots of malt, hops, and alcohol. Noticeable heat in the finish. The hops and malt are well integrated creating a cohesive taste. This alcohol is really at the high limit of American IPA so it's not really my preferred style. I find it just too much unless I was having it with a big tasting meal.
M: massive. Very full bodied.
O: I can't really find much fault in this beer but I doubt I'd order it again. I'm looking for more subtlety in an American IPA. I feel that the alcohol level and taste makes this really more of American Double / Imperial IPA which starts at 7%.

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

Served in a Duvel Tulip.

A: One finger of white froth that settled quickly leaving plenty of lacing. Clear straw color with amber highlights is an inviting sight.

S: Pine needle scent hits the nose with light malt backing.

T: Taste follows the nose with intense pine resin and a refined bitter finish. Not a malty IPA, the hops are front and center.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation

O: A quality IPA from Firestone Walker. They know how to brew hop nectar beers in the West coast style!

4.39/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear copper with a minimal head and thin, stringy lacing. Citrus and pine on the nose, backed by caramel and some toasty breadyness. Hops hit first (as they should), with tangerine, lemon, and pine, followed suit by the caramel and bread from the malts. Very well balanced, a nice hop profile that doesn't overwhelm the palate. Finishes a bit dry for my taste, but drinkability is high. Damn tasty; this one will definitely be added to my regular rotation.

3.88/5  rDev -8.3%

What hop head doesn't love the smell on this beer? The flavor is super clean, but compared to a lot of others I'm just left wondering: what does this beer do for me besides deliver the essence of hops?

IPA had never been so one-dimensional before I tasted this. This beer is polarizing to me, because after drinking it, I am not reaching for another, but I can't deny that it was very very well made. So? I think its WAY over-rated.

The double jack, on the other hand, holds my interest.

4.57/5  rDev +8%

Poured from a 22oz. into Kilkenny pint glass.
First thing that hit my nose was apple. I was pleasantly surprised. Maybe the smallest carbonation bubbles I've seen in an IPA. Golden-amber with a beautiful, sticky head. Bitter, but not over-powering.
This is one of the better IPAs I have had in a while.

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

12 oz bottle into a chalice

Ap- pours a dark hazy light copper color with a 1/4inch head that has OK retention

Ar- citrus, fruit, grapefruit, honey

T- the malts are balanced well with the hops and there is a great citrus representation from the hops

M- medium bodied, sticky, well carbonated for this style

O- Great brew, found this one in IL for $12.99/sixer and I am glad I got the chance to try it. Wishing I would have bought the double jack though...

4.31/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Orange body with a creamy white head. Smells peachy, Citrus and pine bring up the rear. Big citrus pine flavors with mild bitterness. Really smooth mouthfeel. Goes down too easy. Awesome IPA!

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

A: Pours a 2 finger fluffy white head. Color is an deep orange straw yellow. Just what I'm looking for in an IPA. Lacing and glass retention are standout, with layers of foam adhering to the glass like superglue. Great looking beer!

S: Single threaded hoppy two-punch. Pine needles, grapefruit, lemon, orange, rock candy.

T: Strong hop presence permeates through every flavor. The traditional pine, citrus, lemon, biscuit flavors are present. The ending manifests itself through bits of caramel that absorb all moisture from your mouth.

M: Creamy and smooth. Carbonation is perfect for the style. The lingering flavor of the hops tantalizes you long after the beer is gone.

O: It's the drinkability quality that brings this beer to the top for me. Don't get me wrong, it’s not Hopslam or Heady Topper, but in terms of a "Go To" IPA, this one should be at the top of your list.

4.36/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12oz. bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Brilliant brassy amber hue with a large off-white creamy head. Great head retention with gorgeous lacing left down the glass.

S: Humongous grapefruit aroma from a relentless barrage of hops. Slightly pungent. Absolutely lovely. This is what an AIPA should smell like.

T: Tons of citrus fruit. Massive grapefruit profile, fresh orange and tangerine. A little bit of pineapple adds a nice tropical twist underneath. Firestone Walker understands that as important as the hops are, they're not the only necessary element. An understated, but present, caramel malt backbone. You'd be hard-pressed to find a better example of a perfectly balanced IPA.

M: For an IPA, this one has a huge body, but it's not clunky. As smooth as silk and pleasantly creamy without going overboard. Carbonation is crisp and light and honestly couldn't be improved.

O: This is admittedly my first offering from Firestone Walker and it's probably the best first impression that you could get from a brewery. These guys have their head completely wrapped around what a great AIPA should be and they deliver. Flavors are flawlessly balanced and out-of-this-world delicious. Mouth presence is huge, but works great. This is just an overall world-class brew that needs to be experienced. By everyone.

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

Light orange color in the class, no haze at all and very few bubbles, with a quickly dissipating head. The smell is sweet and strong with piney hops. The mouthfeel is sticky and almost perfect--just a tad lighter than some other big IPAs that I love (e.g., Ruination). The taste is true to style with plenty of hoppy goodness. There is also a nicely sweet finish, sweeter maybe than any IPA I've had before--not quite what I'd call sugary, but close. All in all, this beer goes exceptionally well with the Mexican food I brought home.

2.91/5  rDev -31.2%

Thanks to BrewBakerE for this brew:

A - Transparent honey colored brew with a perfect two finger fluffy white head that hung around for a long time before slowly disipating leaving a heavy lace.

S - Smells sweets with a decent presence of floral and citrus malts with a honey sweet malt.

T - Murky citrus hops and a subtle caramel malt. Not much there. I wonder if I got a bad bottle.

M - Smooth, almost non existant, carbonation and a bitter aftertaste.

D - Not what I had hoped it would be. Would only try another another bottle to re-review it.

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%

Lucked into a 6-pack of this at Ralph's. It wasn't even in their inventory. Lucky me. Poured into a pint glass.

A: Dark for an IPA, dark amber or orange really. I get almost no head, although with a fairly cold pour, and decent lacing.

S: Sweet citrus flavor (orange) and citrus hops Smells almost more like an IIPA to me. Very nice.

T: Clean opening with just a touch of sugary malt, followed quickly by the hops. A bit of citrus, but the quality is mostly resiny and bitter.

MF: Thin body, and smooth for the style. Carbonation is pretty subdued, but an extremely crisp and clean beer. Aftertaste is bitter and long lasting. Not a lot of warming with this one, but you do notice the 7.5% after a while.

D: Surprisingly sessionable considering the ABV. A couple bottles will give you a nice buzz but you won't regret it in the morning. The flavor is excellent...just a little extra malt gives this an almost IIPA like quality. One of the best IPA's I've had, right up there with Stone and AleSmith IMO.
I gotta give it to FW. Don't just love Double Barrel, but the IPA and pale ale are awesome.

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

Haven't reviewed an IPA in a while.

A - Perfectly clear, fresh honey golden color. The head is a bit sudsy. Laces a bit, kind of sparse.

S - Wow. Piney citrus. Loads of hop aroma.

T - The flavor is sweeter than I expected. With the nose, I expected a haymaker of hop bitterness, but it was actually fairly subtle to me. The hop flavor is more citric than anything.

M - Medium-bodied, nice feel.

D - Although it's a little sweeter than I prefer for the style, I certainly wouldn't refuse two or three.

4.68/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured a 12oz bottle into a pint.

Appearance: a light golden clear golden color with a nice head in the pour and sticks around until the last sip leaving rings of lacing.

Smells: there is a big pine like hop that comes through with a mild malt sweet malt hint.

Tastes: I like the huge pine hop note in the front, but then it fades to a sweet floral character that balances this west coast IPA beautifully. I pick up a faint biscuit/ bread like hint that is unique in a great way.

Mouthfeel: there is a good amount of carbonation in this brew, and super enjoyable. I didn't believe this was 7.5%, because there is little to no burn and the balance between the hops and malt are so refreshing it leaves my mouth watering for more.

Overall: I picked up a case and wish I would have gotten more. If this stays consistently on the shelf at my local shop, I will pick it up regularly. Great Job again Firestone Walker, even though you probably know that.

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A. Pours a beautiful golden bronze color. Less than a finger worth of head from a bottle dated 7/29. Nice bubble retention while sipping, like tiger stripes.

S. Grapefruit - citrus focused. Alcohol is present to the nose, but nicely blended with other aromas of banana peel, pine cones and citrus zest. Quite yummy.

T. True to the nose, tons of grapefruit and citrus on the palate. Pine needles and grass also come to the tip of the tongue, with a nice clean finish.

M. Crisp and clean. Little carbonation on the taste buds.

O. Great W. Coast IPA. A go to, any time of week type of brew. Classic.

4.12/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured a hazy copper color, with some lacing. Smelled like pine and grapefruit, with hints of some sweetness. Tase was bitter up front, followed by nice bitterness all the way through, but mildly. Pine and citrus notes are very stron; this is a typical and classic west coast IPA, a very good one at that. Mouthfeel was good, and drinkability was good as well; great flavor and not overpowering in any way.

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to barleywinefiend for this one.
This one poured a nice clean golden color with little head that disappeared quickly. The nose is very hoppy on this one like any good IPA. The taste is citrus with some piny taste to it. A bit of a hot alcohol taste but very drinkable for an IPA. Definitely worth a try.

4.37/5  rDev +3.3%

Had this on-tap in downtown Santa Barbara, on State Street, poured into a 12oz mug.

Appearance: Traditional IPA look of golden-orange hue with decent head and lacing. Looks very appetizing, but not to say it's head-and-shoulders better than the competition.

Smell: Whew, what a hop bill! Smells very fresh and piny, with definite Cascade notes and potentially Simcoe as well. Slight, slight citrus undertones, but the top of the bill is certainly more pine and grass. Really full nose, with just a hint of malt sweetness of the back end.

Taste: Refreshingly bitter on the front end, and then hit with a wave of pine and citrus hops, that is blunted thereafter by a nice malt presence for a hoppy IPA. Taste finishes with more of a dank, wet hoppy taste that lingers nicely. Really, really sold.

Mouthfeel: Another winner in the terms of intensity. Wet, resinous, and much like Big Eye IPA from Ballast Point in the wetter, more-lingering dankness. Very solid bitterness as well, and just ultimately refreshing.

Drinkability: The only thing about that intense mouthfeel and taste is that it does drag down the drinkability just slightly, as I wouldn't want much more than a bomber of this, at the most. But still, a very, very tasty IPA that I'm a little surprised doesn't get a bit more buzz amongst hop lovers.

3.8/5  rDev -10.2%

Appearance: cloudy, orange/golden with a small layer of foamy head

Smell: Floral hoppy with a malt back

Taste: A bit malty and sweet, but grainy with light hop flavor; tastes like a British IPA

Mouthfeel: Overall pretty light with a bitter finish.

Drinkability: Definitely more of a maltier IPA more in line with a British style- probably more drinkable en masse, but I would prefer a hoppier IPA..

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a crystal clear amber to light copper with a foamy white head. This beer looks great. In my tulip it looked like an amber crystal ball. The lacing was less than great, but that could have been caused by my glass.

Piney, herbal, grapefruit hop aroma dominates. Sweet caramel and toasted malts in the background, but definitely present. Classic west coast hop showcase.

Taste also has grapefruit hops coming through. Substantial, but even, hop bitterness throughout each swig. No sharpness. Toasted malt flavor lingers in the finish.

Mouthfeel is smooth, slightly slick. The body is surprisingly light for a 7.5% abv IPA. Some alcohol warming. Crisp, dry finish. Low-medium carbonation.

This is a solid west coast IPA. Another great Firestone offering. I will definitely be back for more.

4.27/5  rDev +0.9%

Received a growler of this from Solomon420. Thanks again!

Poured into a pint glass.
Smallish-medium sized whitish head with decent retention. Color is a golden honey.

Smell is mostly of west coast hops. A lot of grapefruit and pine aroma. I have a feeling this will be a delicious beer

By the second glass, the grapefruit beats out the pine. Not the best balanced IPA I have had, but something I enjoyed quite a bit.

A very good IPA and a nice hop fix. I can't be certain if I could have finished the growler (since I shared with a friend), but I would have liked to drink it all myself. I very enjoyable IPA and I am very glad to have had the chance to try it.

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Considering how close I live to Paso Robles/Buellton, this took a while to get to my local stores. It did, however, finally, and I'm glad for it.

Appearance: Two finger white fluffy head. Carbonation is visible, rising in a steady stream from the body. Lacing is impressive - craggy, and lasts for some time. Head settles in a half-finger to maybe a quarter-finger. Body is a copper amber if I've ever seen one - in fact, such a solid hue that I'd wager to say it's exemplary. A good appearance.

Smell: Grapefruit, lemon, and other citrus hops up front. Pine on the back. The oak reveals itself subtly, in a slight vanilla and general roundedness. Very hoppy but well balanced. Little to no detectable alcohol. An excellent American IPA aroma.

Taste: This borders on a DIPA, I think. Intense grapefruit and lemon-lime candy hops. A slight bittering on the back of the tongue. Pine. Very slight floral. The oak is less present here, until you swallow - there's a slight astringency from it, and a general subtle woodsiness. Really, quite fantastic.

Drinkability: Firestone-Walker has the potential to become one of the better brewers in the United States, if they just continue making bold beers this way. Union Jack is an extremely welcome addition to their roster. I can see myself picking up sixers of this for some time.

Union Jack India Pale Ale from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.