Union Jack India Pale Ale - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Union Jack India Pale AleUnion Jack India Pale Ale

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: GClarkage on 08-14-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Union Jack India Pale Ale Alström Bros

4.75/5  rDev +12%

3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

4.75/5  rDev +12%

So I figured -- I've had the DBA, and I've had the Double Jack (Firestone's Double IPA), I've had 805, I've had nectar ales... but I realized... I never had their normal IPA! After trying their Double IPA two days ago at a bar (It was really good, by the way... if you like IPAs, give it a try), I figured I should pick up their normal IPA and give it a shot. So, here goes...

Picked up a 22 from work. Initial impressions good, bottle presentation is on par with everything else Firestone does. Well designed label, no-nonsense. My only complaint is that I wish they gave descriptions of their beers (what makes it special, etc) on the label but no worries. 7.5% ABV and a 22 means this'll be a good "after-work" beer.

Cracked the cap and immediately you're greeted with a nice balanced hop profile, citrusy aromas and a little fruit too. It's a pleasant and inviting smell. On we go...

Pours well, a nice rich amber color that's not too dark. About on par with pretty much every other IPA I've had in terms of color. The head is minimal (keep in mind though: I pour my beers very carefully because I _do not_ like head on my beers), lacing on the glass is good and so far, about 1/4 glass in, it's still retaining a small white head right on top. In this glass (regular pint glass shape, it's actually a SF Giants world championship glass), there's plenty of bubbles coming up through the beer.

On to the important thing though...

The taste.

This is where the Union Jack stands out. The citrusy aromas from earlier carry on in to the flavor, and this beer is a little fruity and citrusy up front with the hops coming in quickly for that distinct IPA hop bitterness. It's smoother than other IPAs I've had, and more balanced. The bitterness carries through to the aftertaste and lingers a little bit, making you want more. It's a wee bit malty too, which is nice because it makes this beer a lot more balanced than other IPAs, too.

Overall, I would highly recommend this. I've yet to have anything from Firestone Walker that I haven't enjoyed, and this is no exception. More aggressive than the DBA (which is still one of my favorites), and less aggressive than the Double Jack. Firestone did a good job on this beer and on all their other brews, too. If you're ever debating, then debate no longer.

4.98/5  rDev +17.5%

Citrus aroma prevalent upon opening the growler. Intensified with pour. Clear golden orange color. Good lacing, head maintained.

Balanced malt & hop bitter. Rivals Hop Stoopid as a favorite in the house. Apparently Firestone Walker has entered Western New York market.

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours bright medium orange with a big foamy white head, good lace and clingy foam.

Big citric rind and some toasted malt in the nose.

Bitter rind and resin up front. Toasted malt with a touch of fruit, then distinct hop bitterness. This is nice, as you get the pure bitter and the actual rind. A little acid, a little malty sweet bread. Long heavy bitter finish. Terrific.

Tacky, astringent, mouth-puckering bitter. Medium body, and a little...juicy up front.

Great American IPA. Great version of the style. Biter, juicy, distinctive and hoppy. Great IPA.

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

4.58/5  rDev +8%

Finally found fresh 6 packs in Massachusetts! Twelve ounce bottles with a 3/20/2012 bottling date.

A- Pours a crystal clear deep golden orange with a nice fluffy head that stuck around. Lots of sticky lacing remained as I sipped.

S- West coast, baby! Tropical and citrus nose that you could smell from clear across the room. Malt sweetness, too.

T- This is what a world class IPA is all about. Fruity hops bathe the tongue with malty, somewhat bready sweetness fighting back with just enough backbone. A bitter, grassy finish that lingers and begs you to take another sip.

M- Just right. Carbonation is spot-on with a palate-coating slickness.

O- I have to go back to the store for more of this one. Damn! Certainly one of the very best American IPAs. I couldn’t be more pleased that fresh Union Jack has arrived in my neighborhood, and hope it visits often.

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%

Wow. It's not often I find a brand new ipa that I like as much as this one; a rating of 5 on taste is a rarity for me. This truly is a delicious beer and I would love to find more; I was only able to find a single serve bottle on clearance at a local co-op store. It's hoppy and bitter but still very tasty, and this is what I look for in a delicious ipa. If you're. Fan of the style you met give it a try if you find it. You won't be disappointed!

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a nice 2 fingers of thick foamy head sitting atop a very pale orange brew. Head withdraws quickly leaving thick lacing.

S- The smell is raisins and bread. Not as much citrus as I expected. No pine at all. If there are hops in this brew, they must be unscented. So far the look is very impressive and the smell is underwhelming.

T- The taste brings a better understanding to this fine brew. Plenty of hop bitterness with just a little bit of malt for balance. There is a hint of raisins and lemon peel in the flavor, along with the biting bitterness of hops. Oily citrus in the mix. Fresh oranges on the finish.

M- The mouthfeel is great with this one. It has enough carbonation to notice, but the bubbles dont burn the throat like a cold Miller Lite. Just a nice creamy smoothness with a slight bite.

O- Overall I think this is a terrific left-coaster. My bottle was dated Oct 2011 so I am pretty sure it wasnt the freshest sample ever, but it was delicious. Would do again and again.

3.95/5  rDev -6.8%

Part of a six IPA tasting session.
Bottled on 2/16/12. 6 pack.
Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

A: Pours a clear orange with a one finger white head.
S: Big citrus hoppy up front, followed by some sweet malts.
T: There is an initial bitterness that fades quickly, falling back on citrus hops and sweet malt flavors.
M: Sticky, medium-bodied, and well carbonated.
O: Very good, unoffensive IPA. Due to the lighter malt backbone, goes down easier than a beer like the GF Palate Wrecker in our tasting, though it was a bit stickier than double jack.

Union Jack India Pale Ale from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.