Union Jack India Pale Ale - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Union Jack India Pale AleUnion Jack India Pale Ale

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: GClarkage on 08-14-2007

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Union Jack India Pale Ale Alström Bros

3.02/5  rDev -28.6%

Poured to a glass. Light brown to orange color, a bit hazy, white head. Pretty typical IPA aromas, citrus and pine. Taste was pretty good up front, nice sweet, rich malt, but the finish really turned me off. There was a combination of flavors that didn't play well together on my palate...a combination of alcohol, the type of bittering hops and...maybe the oak?...just left me saying "not lovin' this." Difficult to finish the bottle.

3.04/5  rDev -28.1%

3.04/5  rDev -28.1%

3.05/5  rDev -27.9%

From a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Pours a clear golden orange with a thin head. Offers little retention and some random lacing.

Smell is citrusy sweet. Hops and sweet malts intermingle and are a bit confusing. Once you pick one to focus upon things improve, yet I found myself seeking a rather unfamiliar, and seemingly unnatural, odor. Surely just the combination is unfamiliar. Well agitated the beer is rather hoppy, yet this profile plays second fiddle overall.

Taste is similar to the nose; slightly sweet, slightly odd, yet oddly compelling. A viscous mouthfeel tells me that the malts and the hop oils are working together. Lots of orange citrus, and the hops are subdued and buried beneath, or perhaps contibuting to the buttery malts. A sneaky IPA that is probably trying to snatch my wallet. I won't let it happen! In the end the hops are ruined by the 'simple sugar' sweetness of the beer. I find this beer unbalanced and overly sweet for an IPA, particularly given the nature of the malt structure.

Oddly, I've had this on tap on one occassion prior and I recall a very different beer. This one actually reminds me of their IPA Nectar...

Edit....Had on tap again in May '09 and must restate that the draft is a better, and dare I say, a different beer. I'll take the draft.

3.06/5  rDev -27.7%

3.07/5  rDev -27.4%

Nice amber - yellow color, high opacity.
Smells like a good ipa. Nice hoppiness with some citrus.
Tastes like it smells except with less flavor than I expected.
Very watery mouth feel for an ipa.
Still, a solid brew.

3.08/5  rDev -27.2%

3.14/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Appearance: Perfectly filtered light copper in color with nice retention and a nice sized head. Lacing is something of note, even with a bad pour.

Nose: Papaya, mango, pineapple. A tiny bot of juicy fruit candy, apple, and lemon.

Taste: Crisp and bitter. Slightly chalky with orange rind. A nice clean finish with nothing really lingering.

3.14/5  rDev -25.8%

Union Jack
Firestone walker
20130812
22oz to modern pint
7.5% ABV
IPA
Bottled on 07/12/13, bought ~08/07/2013

A – A very clear copper, some bubbles rising almost lazily from the bottom. Head reduced to a thin yet full layer. Lacing in the glass is craggy and quite nice.

S – Fruit and hay, a little bit of pine, and some malt to balance it out. Getting papaya, cantaloupe, and honey dew, not much citrus to be had. The smells work together nicely, but it’d be nice to have a bit more oomph from the hop aromas.

T – Similar to the smell, the taste needs more oomph. I like the level of bitterness, though it could be more. First I get the fruits and the hay, then the sweetness comes in to share the palate. The flavors kind of roll over the tongue and eventually leave a grassy honeydew aftertaste. Not a huge fan. As it warms, nothing more comes out, and it seems that just the sweetness strengthens a bit. Even for a pale ale this would be disappointing, but it tastes more like a hopped up bock.

M – Medium bodied, pretty soft, not tingly except for two seconds during the swallow. Wet finish. I’m not really digging this for style. This mouthfeel comes across more as a dinner or dessert beer, thanks to the excess sweetness. To be fair, I have to remind myself that it’s not a DIPA and I should try to separate the taste and mouthfeel.

D – I was excited for this one, but it really didn’t come through. Firestone does great stuff, and this IPA is well-regarded, but I struggle to agree that it is an IPA. As much as I’d like to give it love, I can’t. I’ll probably revisit this one when I can get it fresher in CA in a year or two.
4.25, 3.25, 3, 3, 3; 3.11.

3.17/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a-its like it almost can't decide what color it is (i drank out of 2 glasses to give the benefit of the doubt)

s-oddly bread-like. not the floral bouquet i expect from a 7.5% ipa. the nose gives me nothing to look forward to. that is the best way i can put it.

t-the best part of this beer is the taste, and that is the biggest factor. my overall grade on this beer won't factor high given the individual scores of each component, but if if i was helen keller i could love it. it is more than the sum of it's ba parts. it reminded me to not get lost in the minutiae.

m-it stuck to the rear of the roof of my mouth in a creepy way. really bizarre. i would love to know if this resonates with anyone else?

d-this is the beer equivalent of the girl you would like to f in the dark. when you can't see or smell it, it is awesome...

3.22/5  rDev -23.9%

Poured this into a Bell's pint glass. One of a few hop-focused beers brought back to me from California. My first beer from this brewery.

A - Normal pour produces a thin one-finger, off-white head with very little retention and small traces of frothy lacing. Nice glowing orange color with reddish hues when held up to a lamp.

S - Spicy hops and Caramel Malt. Faint floral hops and a little pine.

T - Malty sweetness giving way to earthy, then piney hops. A nice bitterness balances this beer out while it hangs around through the finish and sticks to the back of my tounge. I actually get some alcohol as this warms.

M - On the fuller-bodied side for an IPA. Could perhaps use just a little more carbonation.

D - Not bad but full body and warming alcohol detracts from the drinkability in a style that I otherwise consider to be very drinkable.

I like to call these "pizza beers". They serve a purpose but would not be an IPA I would buy regularly with many better alternatives available. Glad I had a chance to try it and worth a shot.

3.25/5  rDev -23.2%

Union Jack India Pale Ale from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.