Firestone 11 - Anniversary Ale - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Firestone 11 - Anniversary AleFirestone 11 - Anniversary Ale

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: Zorro on 12-01-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Firestone 11 - Anniversary Ale Alström Bros

This is my first perfect 5. I only give it a 5 because it is far more drinkable than the 10th was fresh. If this ages like the 10th it will be tremendous in 2 years.

The aroma was fantastic, i kept going back for more sniffs. Mouthfeel was smooth and became phenomenal as the beer warmed. I can't wait to do a 10, 11, 12 vertical tasting as soon as 12 is released. The only negative about this beer was that a large amount was distributed to bevmo instead of smaller stores. (476 characters)

A - Pours dark, opaque brown. Small khaki head fades quickly, leaving a thin collar and spotty lacing.

S - Bourbon, caramel, butterscotch and toffee are the standouts, along with a strong oak presence.

T - Caramel, toffee and butterscotch hit the palate first, with the bourbon and oak flavors backing them up. Wonderfully rich & complex. Hints of coffee & brandy. No sign of the ABV.

M - Medium-full body. Incredibly smooth & creamy. Carbonation is on the lighter side.

D - Very high. I could drink this every day if I had the chance.

My second perfect 5, and it's just as deserving as the first. This is a beer to be revered. (632 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +11.7%

Shared with Rhinos00 and ratman197.

Pours a dark mahogany with a thin tan head.

Nose has oak, vanilla, bourbon, toffee, caramel, dark fruits, bready malts, oak and spicy alcohol.

Taste is equally delicious. Huge whiskey and wood tones over figs, plums, cherries, peppery booze, vanilla, nutty malts and rich candy.

Thick, creamy body holds a soft carbonation. Long, complex finish.

Another top notch barrel aged blend from Firestone Walker. (447 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +11.7%

A- A beautiful lush head appears out of a deep black body with ruby hues and a single plume of carbonation crept up close enough to the edge of the glass for me to take notice.

S- Mahogany, oak, black licorice, deep roasted malt, caramel and molasses.

T- So complex I had trouble fathoming how much character is really apparent in this beer. My friend got a good serving of it, but declined further allotments of the beer so the rest of the bottle was mine (I bought it, why not?). It took the entire bottle to unravel the deep secrets of 11 and what it came down to was; "this is a kickass beer."

M- Very warm, creamy, and complex. A heavy body and intoxicating alcoholic presence awaits thee.

D- Too bad this beer is so rare. I traded the other one away in the name of moving on and finding different lovers, but this will always be a favorite. (850 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +11%

Finally got around to drinking this one. Big thanks to mattolesh for sending this bad boy my way a while back. I had pretty high expectations for this one and it did not disappoint.

Nothing real remarkable for the appearance. Dark brown color. Some good lacing/legs on the side of my tulip glass.

Wonderful aroma. I could smell wood and alcohol in the nose. I was salivating just smelling this one.

Great taste. The beers in the blend meld together extremely well. Considering the ABV very little alcohol heat. Dried Fruits brown sugar and wood tannins present with every sip. For me very similar to a good Belgian quad in flavor in terms of the sweetness.

What really blew me on this beer was both the mouth feel and the drinkability. One of the smoothest beers I have ever had. Silky and satin mouth feel. Definitely a slow sipper . I drank the bottle over 1.5 hours but the beer was never overbearing. I was savoring each sip as I went. This beer warmed up wonderfully getting more and more depth as a reached the bottom of the glass. Extremely drinkable.

I have not had a ton of Firestone Walker beers but this is a true masterpiece. Great great stuff. I did not have this beer fresh but I cannot see this beer getting any better with age. Mellow and nice right now. I am a huge fan of blended beers. It is an art form that I feel is lacking in the American craft beer scene. This a great example of a near perfect American blended beer. I am looking forward to trying the 12th and the 13th anniversary versions.

Thanks again Matt! I am glad I got an opportunity to try this rare treat. This one is worth the hype. (1,628 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +11%

This beer came my way via trade. I cannot remember who I got it from but thanks!... The beer was chilled and served in a wide mouthed wine goblet. My wife and I consumed the beer over the coarse of the evening. This beer is fantastic!... My ability to describe and add to the descriptions of this beer is limited.

Appearance: The beers appearance is a murky dark brown coloration. A bit of ruby opaqueness is noted. The head is a thin white coloration. Small rings of foam mark the beers passage. The beer has the kind of unlovely appearance that lets you know the beer is going to be fantastic.

Smell: The aroma of the beer is phenomenal. I am not certain of my ability to describe the beer but I am going for it. The aroma of the beer is boozey in a wonderful way. The aromas of vanilla, bourbon, tabacco, cocoa, butterscotch, apples, pears, dark fruits raisins, dates, maple syrup, brown sugar. All throughout the aroma of the beer is well layered bourbon / brandy.

Taste: World class! The beer delivers a very sweet bourbon / brandy mixture. Roasted, toasted and charred flavors help to counter balance the sweetness. In short this delivers a nuanced layered flavor. This beer taste even better than it smells. If you dont like bourbon / brandy you will not like this beer.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body of the beer is full low carbonation. Very very smooth no alcohol heat noted. Its boozey but very smooth. The beer passed from my glass very rapidly. Wish I had a few more of these in my cellar. Exceptional! (1,526 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +10.6%

poured room temperature out of a 22oz bomber into a dogfish head snifter...

A: as dark as a brown can get, thick dark brown amber, a bit tawny when held to the light, a swirl leaves lace but the head isn't too dense. light lace rests in surface swirls.

S: sweet butter, toffee, dates, richness and smooth vanilla (dairy cream milk shake), pecan pie, brown butter sweet, but balanced.

T: sweet but light, like butter cream frosting, not overly sweet, butter cream frosting, rich vanilla, slight herbal tones of hops, and a low earthy woody tone whispers in swishes to match the creamy sweetness up front, low carbonation.

M: medium body in the mouth, light and soft in the mouth considering the flavor sizematics of this beer, leaves with a tiny bit of dryness which speaks to the wood, minor tinge of bitter, but overwhelmingly smooth.

D: as it ends, the bubbles fade and vanilla bourbon rides a slow gallop into the night. the wood is more apparent as the beer settles. this is going to be a beautiful one to sit on. (1,022 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +10.6%

Appearance: Pours a very dark amber with a modest head that quickly shifts to a ringlet; a galaxy of dots litter the sides of the chalice

Smell: Rich aromatics of caramel, dark fruit (primarily fig), tobacco, chocolate/vanilla, licorice and wood; just tons of wood, like an antique chest

Taste: From the outset, the wood sets the backbone against which the flavors will be measured; at first, it is fruity, with the hops playing against the wood but as it settles in, the bourbon elements start to take their position, with a boozy blend of vanilla, fig, tobacco, licorice and chocolate moving to the fore; after the swallow, a coconut aspect arrives to mellow out the bold pre-swallow flavors, while the wood and alcohol linger in the background to the finish; licorice is strong at the very end

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied with low to moderate carbonation; very smooth

Drinkability: I was not that big a fan of the Ten, which overwhelmed my taste buds; the Eleven, however, rules the roost; just an incredible blend of flavor

Thanks, urwatuh8, for the opportunity (1,065 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +10.6%

22 oz. bottle, bought for $18.39 at the Costa Mesa BevMo in Costa Mesa, CA, on Monday, Dec. 17. Having been severely hyped up akin to a Dark Lord or a Darkness, I had high hopes for this beer, one of my most anticipated beers ever, it did not disappoint,

A: Pours a very dark brown, clearly brown though, with a small, light tan head, but they said in the complementary letter that they minimized the carbonation, so I'll give them a break. Very nice lacing on what head is there, however.

S: Not the fullest smell in the world, but it just smells so damn good, that I'm giving it a 5. It reminds me a lot of Angel's Share, in fact that's the first thing I thought when I smelled it for the first time. Nice oak, wood, bourbon scents, along with heavenly vanilla, I just can't stop smelling it.

T: Actually, the vanilla hits first then molds into the bourbon character. Slight coffee character is there as well, and as the beer is going down, there is this great dark chocolate note. Warming alcohol as well, but it is not fusely and unpleasant, it is smooth and light and melds perfectly with the beer.

M: So silky smooth, viscous, and warming, but it has a lightness about it and an ethanol quality about it that makes it insanely drinkable for 11% abv.

D: So drinkable, a delight going down, drank the first half of the bottle in about 5 minutes, it was so easy to drink, but I held up for about 30 minutes to let it warm up close to room temperature which just added to the complexity of the beer. Stellar production, definitely worth the hype, I will be eagerly and anxiously be awaiting the 12, or another bottle of the 11, if I can find it. Easily one of the top 5 beers of the year for me. Great job, Firestone, this beer is absolutely outstanding. (1,762 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +9.9%

There is a whole lot going on in this beer and all of it is exactly the kind of stuff I love.
Pours dark amber as expected with a smallish off white head that melts quickly to nothing.

Aromas are a heavenly combination of oak and bourbon. Some candied brown sugar and dark raisins. Absolutely delicious and I could inhale this brew as easily as drink it with equal satisfation.

Taste is heavy bourbon...touch of oak wood...light mixture of prunes, plums, raisins, and dark cherries, and very clean fresh vanilla. Absolutely no aftertaste to the vanilla as is normally found in both beers attempting this and bourbons. Warm alcohol after swallowing...very contenting warmth with just a memory, albiet vivid, of the oaks and bourbon used in aging this brew.

I love it
I rate it highly because it is everything I look for in a beer.
I have no idea what will happen when it ages, but I will find out. I just can't imagine more pleasure than what I am getting now.
***
Months later, now April 2008.
DAMN, this is good...no great.
Absolutely great. (1,045 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +9.9%

I decided to share this bottle with pwoods and ftownthrowdown as a "sort of" belated celebration for my 3rd child's birth. This one's for you, Zachary!!!

I took core notes on this beer when tasting it. Gold outer box with a paper describing the beer - gold capped brown bottle.

So you know, my review will not give this beer the justice it deserves. It's now in my all-time most enjoyable complex beer list and so wonderfully blended, my flavor vocabulary doesn't describe this correctly - just an amazing treat and worth the hype it gets.

Clear dark root beer in color with a light tan head that forms a nice halo after the pour. Seriously loud nose with lots of vanilla barrel, cocoa, malts. wow, holy shit - we joked and said we could just sit around and smell it all night. It was sad to see this one go.

Mouth was much like the nose. Amazingly smooth, clean and refined. If you are a fan of barrel aged beers, you must try this beer before it's gone for good. In a word, sublime. (989 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +9.9%

This one took a while to get, looking forward to it in a big way.

Look is good, would prefer more head to make it great, but otherwise we have a murky brown pour with a thin white head. Great lacing.

Smell is of dark fruit, a bit of cocoa, light tobacco. Really excellent in this department, I wish I had the discerning nose to pick some of the nuance, but this is complex and intense in a good way. Great barleywine territory in the nose, maybe slightly less on the hop side.

Taste..wow, this is the most complex bastard I have ever had. I get tobacco, fruit, chocolate, light hops, a small booze..for some reason this is what I imagine a utopia to taste like. This kicks the hell out of it's 12 cousin, which to be fair hasn't had as much time to lay down, but wow.

Mouth is good as is, but i think some more thickness behind it would have made it amazing. Carbonation is relatively low.

Overall, I curve this one to the max. What a crazy good beer this is. I don't get blown away much, but we have a big winner here. Unfortunately I don't see myself getting to try another one. (1,086 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +9.4%

A- Poured into a snifter, this beer pours an opaque dark brown with ruby highlights and a moderate head that quickly fades to nothing, leaving only a bit of lacing.

S- Mostly bourbon and oak with hints of maple syrup and molasses. The alcohol is very prominent in the aroma.

T- Bourbon and oak with some syrupy, malty sweetness. Hints of chocolate and coffee are there too. The finish leaves some toasted malts, toffee and a faint bitterness. The alcohol warms the pipes as it goes down. Really nice.

M- Thick and syrupy with barely any carbonation.

D- Excellent drinkability for a beer of this magnitude. No aspect of the flavor profile ever becomes cloying. A pure joy to drink.

Believe the hype. This is a fantastic beer. (731 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +9.4%

Sampled after the Firestone 10, this one was again graciously provided by my main man grub!!

Pours a clear brown, dark reddish, slightly darker than the 10, thick tan head, leaves behind some solid lace spots, drops a thick ring of lace, and a solid layer, doesn't look as sexy as the 10 but pretty close. Smell is insane, toffee, bourbon, oak, vanilla, lots of chocolate, oats, find it a bit smoother than the 10, lots of dark fruit, brandy, raisins, great. Taste is similar, tons of toffee, coconut, bourbon, vanilla, bread, chocolate, brandy and oak, very amazing, super integrated, find it just a little more intense than the 10. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low to medium carbonation, super smooth, some warmth, amazing. Thanks once again Russ!!!! (756 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +9.4%

I have been sitting on this bottle since receiving it from a kind Ratebeerian back in December. I have way too many bottles in the cellar so they are slowly being consumed, rare or not. I do have to compliment the box and descriptive insert, classy but at $17 it should be. I threw on the new Portishead album and slowly poured this into a snifter. Its got a brown color with red tints around the edges, very little head but that was to be expected after reading the insert. The aroma is extremely complex and I am tempted to give it a 5. It smells oaky, woody, yet very subtle, chocolates, wow this aroma is to be savored. I really wish I could be more descriptive because this smell has a lot of nuances like toast and ash, maybe tobacco. Definitely a tobacco smell. The alcohol fumes are briefly noticed. Beautiful flavor that makes me think of chocolates and hard candies with only the slightest bit of bourbon. If I didn;t know bourbon barrels were used I might not have picked it up. The mouthfeel is perfect, just thick enough to coat the palate but still rolls around your tongue. The fact that there is not much carbonation really makes this beer shine. There is a slight hint of dryness from the alcohol at the finish. This is a very nice blend and the complexity is almost too much for my simple palate. I am glad I have one more bottle in the cellar because I drank this one by myself and I hate not being able to share a beer this nice. (1,449 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +9%

Holy Shit! This beer is stunnning. I poured into a Double Bastard glass. The root beer color cascaded into the glass forming a nice and tight head. Smells of malt, carmel, booze, and general sweetness made the mouth water. The taste of this beer is absolutely amazing, as it corresponded well the smells. An excellent balance of alcohol and malt really came through making the beer big and flavorful. Drinkability of this beer is only hampered by the high ABV, as it flowed down my throat. Wanted to drink this all night. Highly recommended! Definetely worth searching out. (573 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +9%

22 oz bottle purchased from the Buellton Tap Room for $16.95 plus tax. I already wish I bought more
Appearance is a dark reddish brown with swirls of black in there as well
Smelled very intense and a bit mystifying. There are a lot of components in here that get lost in my amateur nose
Taste is phenomenal. Very rich chocolate, caramel, and dark fruits. As well as the very distinct vaanilla and bourbon from the casks.
Mouthfeel is unlike any beer I have tasted, just as this beer as a whole is unlike any beer I have tasted. Very velvety smooth, like a cream ale, but with a sharp bite of alcohol like a glass of whiskey, and then the very nice palate warming sensation like that of a fine glass of scotch.
Drinkability is there, oh yeah. This is a beer to savor. Take in the senses...smell, taste, mouthfeel, etc., but it is very easy to take long sip after long sip. Holy shit, this is amazing. Well worth the price. I just hope they have more for sale when I go through there next. (987 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +9%

Pours a deep dark brown with little head retention. Tart nose at first, but thick butterscotch flavors quickly wash that away, followed by oaky vanilla. Once warm, bourbon alcohol kicks in with molasses, tobacco, and leather as advertised on the box. Hop balance is just right, with a subtle, persistent bitterness even as the glass came fully to room temperature. An extremely complex, rich beer--as good as or better than the Ten, which was certainly one of the most remarkable brews I've ever had. I have one bottle left in the garage, and will let it age awhile (but not too long!). (586 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +8.3%

A: Pours a dark caramel brown. Not much of a head at all.

S: Very bourbon-y. Nice aromas of oak and vanilla. Lots of brown sugar, boozy aromas.

T/M: Exactly like the smell and then some. Classic bourbon smells, chocolate, brown sugar. Very satisfying. This is nitpicking, but the mouthfeel wasn't as rich as FW10 or FW12. Overall, though, this is an exceptional beer.

D: Extremely drinkable. I could sip on this forever.

The FW anniversary beers are consistently some of the best out there. This is no exception. One of the few series of beers worth the hype, in my humble opinion. (585 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured from the bottle into a large mouth glass.

The deep dark amberish hue pours out nicley into the glass foarming a nice robust looking head that adhears itself to the rim of the glass before clawing downward.
The barrel comes through heavly bringing oak, vanilla bean, rich pipe tobacco, dried fruit and bourbon.
Caramel pulls through as you take the first sip with the bourbon playing with the hops in a fruity swrill that blends all the aroma flavors into an amazing tounge pleaser.
As it drops of the tounge the flavors settle a bit with the alcohol being more present with a hint of vanilla and anise. It has a great mouth feel that is strong and smooth. This is very similar to the 10th but a bit lighter with the same age. The 10th however has settled into its own and mellowed out to were the 11th is now. (817 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +8.3%

This is our 6th taste of this fantastic brew. The last five times we were so thoroughly enthralled with the beer we forgot to take notes.

Pours clear dark tan to brown with moderate tan head (poured a bit too cold, reducing the head we got).

Wonderful aroma of bourbon, deeply intense and layered with vanilla, incredible caramel, cream, tobacco, coconut, oak, and a mild alcohol nose. It's almost hard to get past the nose and actually start drinking, just begs to be hovered over and enjoyed.

First sip starts incredibly creamy flowing vanilla with a quick bite of oak keeping things in check. Very creamy, but not thick or cloying. Flavor follows the nose for the most part, but adds leather, mild bitter cocoa, coffee, whiskey, and much more oakiness. Every exhale from your mouth brings forward all the aroma noted before, just beautiful.

Its kind of pointless to go on. This beer just needs to be experienced. Just when you thought the last sip you had was the best thing you've ever tasted, it warms slightly and your next sip is even better. The aroma intesifies as the beer warms, and the flavors become more distint and noticable as the vanilla gives way to more earthy flavors. High ABV and pallate coating creaminess may lead some to find the drinkability a bit of a challenge. But if you were to drink one beer (and keeping in mind it's 11% ABV), this would the one I would pick.

Fan-freakin-tastic. (1,417 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +8.3%

In a drinking session that included the likes of Barrel Aged 2005 Alesmith Decadence, Fourth Dementia, and Kate the Great, it took quite a lot for this beer to perhaps top them all (these were spaced out over the course of a day, so no, it wasn't just my drunkeness talking).

Pours a lively dark brown with swirling carnelian highlights. Nice frothing bubbles. Smells of oak, leather/tobacco, vanilla, caramel toffee, and more that I can't put a name to. One of the most complex heads I've ever sniffed.

The taste is mostly oak, molasses, caramel, but there's so much going on here it's quite amazing. There's definitely some chocolate and bread flavoring as well. How did they manage to blend this many ingredients without creating a mess? I truly wish I had more than one bottle of this remaining. One of the strangest flavorings we agreed upon was the hint of coconut vanilla ... almost like a Malibu Rum soaked towel was left in the barrel. And it worked! The thick viscuous mouthfeel was a treat to sample.

Just an amazing accomplishment on every level. (1,063 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +8.3%

thanks to the threewisemen for my first try at this baby.

22oz bottle, boxed, with printout description and blending notes. tasted in late april/early may 2009. poured into tulip.

dark, reddish brown, almost black. red tints, esp under the light. 1.5-finger tan head fades to thin wispy layer and foamy ring. loose, scattered webs and rings of lace, pretty decent for such a high ABV and with barrel aging.

aroma: bourbon with lots of vanilla and oak. woody with fruity brandy and rum notes of dried berries and... coconut! this is especially prevalent in the back, on exhale, and in burping. my first time experiencing this in a beer! caramel, molasses, slight hint of hops. more coconut. tobacco and leather. wow, layer after layer of complexity - and i'm still just talking about aroma!

taste: malty molasses and brown sugar, meeting cherry and vanilla, wood and leather, with mild to moderate bitterness from leafy, grassy hops. more coconut and coffee in the finish. rum, brandy, bourbon all make their presence. it's really all just too hard to write it all down. so much going on, yet harmonized perfectly. alcohol is perceptible of course, but it's never too boozy. quite a feat for an 11% beer.

lightly syrupy feel, with momentary flashes of tannic astringency near the finish, then smoothing out again. mild to moderate carbonation is both creamy and sporadically tingly.

a revelatory experience, showing me the potential of barrel-aged blends. (1,460 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +8.3%

Shared this one with my brother. 22oz bottle served in a chalice. Poured a deep brown with hints of red. Off white head. Big aroma of chocolate and vanilla plus a little alcohol. Rich and full bodied. Amazingly complex flavors. More chocolate, vanilla, and bourbon. Finish of chocolate and whiskey seems to last forever. There is a fair amount of hop bitterness to balance all the malt.
I don't give a 5 very often, but this beer deserves it. Dessert in a glass. (462 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +7.9%

"Night in the Woods" tasting 3.29.08
Thanks to littlebreeze for supplying the bottle

A- pours dark brown with a thin head that disipates to nothingness

S- Cherries, malt & oat very dominiant on my nose. Everyone else is picking up very different things. However, it is not a crazy-complex as the 10.

T- Smooth, sweet malt dominates. Caramel & cocoal in the body as well. Very rich. Nice bourbon finish.

M- Way sexy. Very full, coats the entire mouth. Alcohol warmth going down

D- Smooth and sweet. More balanced than the 10, but not nearly as complex. This is not a bad thing though. As stated in my review of the 10, the only way to improve upon this beer is to create the 10.5- a 50/50 blend of the 10 & 11. It was a masterpiece! (736 characters)

Firestone 11 - Anniversary Ale from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.