2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

§ucaba (Abacus) - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

§ucaba (Abacus)§ucaba (Abacus)

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

English Barleywine |  12.50% ABV

2011 Reserve Series Bottle Notes:
O.G. 27 Plato
F.G. 4.7 Plato
I.B.U. 42 units
Yeast: British Ale (House)
Cases: 1500 produced
Color: 36SRM (Dark Ruby)

(Beer added by: SacoDeToro on 02-21-2008)
View: Beers (64) |  Events
Ratings: 2,989 | Reviews: 717 | Show All Ratings:
JDV

2.08/5  rDev -54.1%

Pours muddy and with no head. Looks still. Smell is dark fruit, vanilla, and soy sauce in a this Chinese restaurant uses way too much sauce, kind of way. Taste is sweet and dark fruits and soy sauce with a quick finish. At least the booze is hidden very well, but with the lack of almost any carbonation, cloying nature of it and the soy sauce flavor, it was a big disappointment.

04-21-2014 21:40:03 | More by JDV
JimLeff

3.8/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Tasted at "Super Kegs" at The Diamond in Greenpoint, Brooklyn

I've got to dissent from the consensus, even though I'm a huge fan of British tootsy-rolly barley wines (one of my favorite styles ever).

Nose was good. Huge vanilla. Soft and nuanced caramel. Some nakedly boozy aromas not really on-style but enjoyable nonetheless.

But in the mouth I found it alcohol-hot, lightly oxidized and relentlessly blasting me with simple, inelegant, almost artificial vanilla (plus perhaps a trace of diacetyl, but that could be my imagination given that FW is usually such a clean brewer). Like a really clever cream soda spiked with rum. There's not much in the way of flavor layering, or variance/progression, or tertiary flavors. Just a big inelegant wallop of front/center vanilla...and booze.

I suspect they warm-age this beer to hasten the maturity. You lose a lot of subtlety and complexity that way.

04-11-2014 19:23:04 | More by JimLeff
jmadiadora19

4.89/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This beer is big, bold, and has an absolutely lovely finish. Honestly the best barley wine I have had to date (thoughts are its the bourbon influence). The alcohol is extremely well hidden and the nose is mainly comprised of rich fruits including dates, figs, and plums (brown sugar compliments as well). Firestone has again done a fabulous job with their barrel aging program.

A-deep amber with a slight cream colored head that stays consistently throughout drinking the beer.

S-again sweet with rich fruits and brown sugar.

T-the most balanced bourbon barrel aged beer I have experienced. The alcohol is so well hidden its scary.

M-great level of carbonation. No flavor bullys the others into submission.

O-oh man. This is a top notch beer. Worth every penny. Interested to see how aging a bottle will turn out. Cheers from Oak Street Draft House in Denton, Tx!

04-03-2014 01:11:13 | More by jmadiadora19
Samuel906

4.6/5  rDev +1.5%

2013 Vintage aged 1 year:

Wow... Just wow. I am absolutely blown away by how this beer tastes. I went into this with certain expectations, all of them good, and it completely surpassed them on all accounts. This is all about huge flavor and perfect balance. The taste is a swirl of sweet dark fruits (Cherry, apple, fig) with vanilla, oak and bread, whisky and a touch of spiciness at the end. Whisky is everywhere in the nose and taste, but is only ever so slightly boozey in the mouth giving it a warmth that lingers. The texture is pretty much perfect silky smooth, with nice mild carbonation even after a year. Since these reviews encompass more than just taste, I have to nit pick. Smell was fantastic, but decidedly muted; I love a huge nose on huge beers. Lots of aged whisky, with lots of wood barrel presence, apples, toasted nuts. Finally, this is not a terribly appealing beer to lake at to me. It is a muddy reddish-brown, with hints of what wanted to be some head but could only muster a few lonely bubbles along the rim of the glass. It's dark and murky, and it simply isn't my favorite beer to look at. Like I said, nitpicking. Any inconsequential negative trait that I could try to pull out is simply dwarfed by the absolute perfection of the taste.

Overall, this very well could be my new favorite barleywine with the only other possibility being Stickee Monkey, another from Firestone. I am absolutely giddy looking forward to trying the 2014 Sucaba release.

02-11-2014 08:11:09 | More by Samuel906
Flounder57

4.48/5  rDev -1.1%

Served in a goblet.

Appearance: This beer poured a minimal head that reduced to a thin later. It is a mahogany color with little clarity and slight vision of bubbles coming up through the glass.

Smell: Vanilla, warm alcohol, coconut, vanilla, caramel, toffee, molasses, and smells awesome.

Taste: This beer is an above blend of mentioned aromas. A smile on my face will remain till the beer is gone. So tasty and delicious.

Mouthfeel: Silky smooth, delicious, boozy, awesome low to medium carbonation, and medium to full bodied.

Overall: I have had this beer over the years and it never fails. Simply awesome. Makes me want more.

01-24-2014 01:02:01 | More by Flounder57
paulmarquez10

4.75/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On tap @ Firestone Paso on release date

This is such an amazing beer. Firestone's barrell projects are getting better and better. You get so much from the barrel. Coconut, charcoal, bourbon, just amazing. Nice body of this beer, front of the mouth caramel and coconut, middle and back of the mouth lots of bourbon. A little boozy but this is a big beer!! I would have given this a 5 but I think with proper aging this beer will only get better.

01-09-2014 18:59:32 | More by paulmarquez10
Gatch

4.74/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On-tap at Boulders on Broadway in Tempe, AZ.

A: Deep brown, thick liquid. No head, no lace, no retention. Looks like port or any other dessert wine. Big legs on the glass.

S: Leathery molasses. Chocolate covered cherries. Booze becomes stronger as the beer warms.

T: Malty, syrupy, sugary goodness. Molasses, caramelized sugar, brown sugar, dark chocolate. Booze soaked fruits. Heavy malt, heavy sugar, heavy booze. But the alcohol doesn't take anything away from the beer. There is a lot going on. Very complex. The amount of layers reminds of the their 15th Anniv.

M: Mild carbonation but smooth as can be. Malty and boozy. Viscous.

O: Gotta be the epitome of the style. This is the bar for English barleywines. When you read about the style, this hits every mark and exceeds it. Fantastic beer.

Update: had to bump up this score! Snagged a bottle of the 2012 and sat on it for a while. (still have a 2013 in the "cellar") Wish it had a bottling date. Don't even remember when I picked this up. Maybe the fall or winter of 2012?

Beautiful liquid...deep brown with red and amber hues. Burnt sienna for the last few sips as the glass empties. A very light brown head that bubbles up quickly and fizzy while also fading quickly. Nice lacing and a ring of head retention throughout. Serious aromas of vinegar, booze, bourbon, wood, and even a bit of funk and sour as it warms up. Flavor is a bit more subdued, with flavors of heavily roasted and charred malt, delicious booze, vanilla, caramelized and brown sugar, molasses with alcohol, and sweet, dark fruits. Wow. So complex. Mellowed out from what I remember but not as much as I expected. Either it needs more time or it's just a big beer that will always be in-your-face. Which I like. Since the barrels and bourbon were such an emphasis, they should always stand out. Which they do. Heavy on the buttery, earthy bourbon as well as the wood, malt, and booze. A huge beer for serious beer drinkers. Not for the faint of heart, as shown with my brother who I gave a small glass of this to sample and it was too much for him. A fantastic sipper with massive flavor and drinkability. If I had the entire bottle, though, this NYE wouldn't be much to remember. I'm excited to try the 2013!

2013 bottle drunk on 2/21/14. Bottled on 1/10/2013. Amazing stuff. Lots of delicious bourbon character while retaining all the great qualities of an English BW.

12-31-2013 23:55:48 | More by Gatch
drmcleod10

Missouri

4.78/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Served on tap at Nightmare Before Christmas event at itap Soulard
8oz pour split between 2
Just starting to get into barley wines and why not start with BCBW and Sucuba

A - Pours a deep dark color with partially see through dark brown purple edges around the glass. Poured on tap with a minimal to medium light tan head

S - chocolate, coffee, toffee, vanilla, dark fruits, decent amount of barrel presence smell

T - This was poured too cold so started sipping lightly until it warmed and wow did the flavors ever come out when it warmed. Starts like a stout with the heavy flavoring of vanilla, chocolate, maple, and as it warmed there was an eruption of fruit flavors that went down my throat that was quite delightful and boded well with the initial tastes. This was my one of my first BW's and man am I impressed.

M - Mouthfeel is slightly more carbonated than most of the stouts we had. Medium bodied with a smooth mouthfeel really a treat.

O - I loved this style of barley wine it nearly resembles a world class stat except for the finish of these beers. I loved the dark fruits really erupting as it warmed and went down the back of my throat. World - Class Glad I was able to snag a bottle of this on Black Friday

12-17-2013 22:14:16 | More by drmcleod10
gillagorilla

Maryland

3.91/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had on tap at Mahaffey's (from notes, 10/19/13)

A: Dark brown, with a light head.

S: Malty, caramel and sweet barrel notes.

T: Malty. Burnt and almost roasty. Lots of barrel and whiskey.

M: Smooth with a slight prickliness.

O: Eh, not my favorite, but no burn. I will review this again with my bottle, but so far I don't get all of the hype.

10-29-2013 07:06:46 | More by gillagorilla
gueuzedreg

Colorado

4.59/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2013 on tap at Backcountry Pizza in Boulder, CO.

A- Looks like a more watered down caramel. Very little head on the pour with good retention. Thin lacing.

S- Caramel, thick malt backbone. Caramel is huge in the nose. Some belgian dark fruit action going on too.

T- Very nice malt backbone with huge caramel as well. somewhat charred dark fruit.

M- Very smooth, and on tap prob gives more carb than usual.

O- Up there with King Henry and BCBBW for me. I have not had a lot of barleywines though..

09-22-2013 22:46:16 | More by gueuzedreg
GreesyFizeek

4.01/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 4.25

On tap at the Owl House in Rochester, NY.

Pours a dark red brown-ish. Visible active carbonation. One inch head forms quickly, but dissipates very quickly as well. Not much lacing.

Aromas include brown sugar, toffee, cinnamon, bourbon, chocolate, and cherry.

Lots of similar flavors. The bourbon is well integrated, and the barrel aging provides oak and vanilla flavors- with a lot great barleywine flavors- toffee, caramel, chocolate, cherry, with a slightly noticeable alcohol kick.

A bit of a weird mouthfeel here, and makes me feel like the keg wasn't filled properly. The body is a bit thin, with the most carbonation in a barleywine I've ever tasted. The thin body could just be the high carbonation playing tricks on my taste buds- but the carbonation keeps some of the flavors kind of muted. I can tell the flavors are great, but I know I'm not getting the full effect.

I can tell this beer is great, but I want to try it again, either out of bottle or a properly kept

06-19-2013 21:25:17 | More by GreesyFizeek
MDDMD

4.49/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-hazy brown color with ruby highlights and a small light tan head and minimal lacing

S-toffee, bourbon, nutty, vanilla, dark fruit

T-caramel malt, toffee, roasted nuts, bourbon, vanilla, oak, slight hop bitterness

F-medium body with light carbonation, smooth and creamy, alcohol well-integrated

O-a great Barleywine, one of the standards by which others should be judged

06-01-2013 19:30:56 | More by MDDMD
MaximalC

4.45/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours seal brown with mahogany highlights and a thin khaki head. I don't recall the aroma, but I'd love to have it again and investigate further. Flavor tastes of dark fruit, oak, vanilla, mild milk chocolate, and booze. Without messing around, let's just say this is probably one of the ten best beers I've ever had. It's luxurious, balanced, complex, and way more drinkable than a 13% ABV beer has any right to be. It was outstanding from the first sip to the last, and only prudence prevented me from having a second glass. I can find no fault with it.

06-01-2013 02:21:06 | More by MaximalC
Justinsosmart

4.68/5  rDev +3.3%

On-tap as part of a Firestone tap takeover. Pour is a dark chestnut brown. Very barrel-forward in the nose and in the beginning. Lots of vanilla is present. Mouthfeel is amazing, i can drink this all day. Warming towards the end, I would love to see this after a year.

05-21-2013 22:03:37 | More by Justinsosmart
dar482

4.9/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

It comes in a rusty copper color.

The aroma is a nutty with sweet vanilla, mellow coconut. It has a familiar aroma to BCBS with its oak and vanilla. The sweetness is quite obvious with dark sugary malt with a heavy malt backbone.

The beer hits you with a sweet caramel and maple syrup flavor. Then the pop of fresh vanilla pods smack you and grows all over the mouth. There is a coconut, dark brown sugar. It keeps exploding and changing in flavors with every sip. The end has a big booze and smokey bourbon flavor. The beer is almost like sweet vanilla malty extract.

The body is medium/heavy with low carbonation. A surprising thing about this beer is the easy finish without a cloying sweetness.

The booziness eventually gets quite obvious and in your face. However, the complexity and flavor is almost unmatchable for any beer style. I generally would prefer hops in a barleywine, but this is world class.

However, having this aged from 2012 on tap at Brouwerij Lane, I prefer this fresh. With age, the booze mellows, but as does the big bold flavors. It becomes less complex and bold. Not that it is not still amazing, but I just prefer the wide range of flavors that the fresh one has.

05-19-2013 22:53:21 | More by dar482
4amepiphany

4.73/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had on tap a few months ago at twisted spoke, and from a bomber last night. Not sure the year on tap, bottle is from 2013.

The Sucaba I had on tap was delicious. Very strong bourbon notes, vanilla.. appearance was a very dark black, but not opaque. Thin lacing of head, and smelled very similar to BCS which I had on the side. The taste is spectacular, probably my favorite barleywine, but I don't typically drink this style of beer. Out of a bottle, it is not so complex, a little thinner, but the flavor is there. It is also quite boozy in comparison to the tap. Makes me think the Sucaba on tap was from a year or more ago. Definitely excited to try the other bottles I have in the cellar.

05-14-2013 04:43:38 | More by 4amepiphany
hagbergl

Maryland

4.96/5  rDev +9.5%

I had the pleasure of having Firestone Walker's English-style Barleywine, Sucaba, at Lord Hobo in Cambridge, MA in late-March (yes, I have quite the backlog of reviews to do...they're coming along). It was incredible, to say the least. Read on to hear just HOW good.

Appearance (5/5): Sucaba pours a very dark brown with a small off-white/light khaki head. The head doesn't stay around too long, not that I would expect that from a beer of its strength. Pretty red highlights against the light; this is a good-looking barleywine, for sure.

Smell (5/5): This barleywine has a wonderful barrel character to it: I'm getting some vanilla and bourbony-boozy notes. One of the most noticeable aromas actually is toasted coconut, which you don't get too often in a beer. It's a fantastic note that I wish showed up more often in imperial stout. You can tell that this beer is sweet but has nicely rounded edges; it's not a sticky, sickly sweet mess.

Taste (5/5): Sucaba has serious barrel aged characteristics: I'm getting bourbon, vanilla, coconut, but no serious alcohol heat. That comes on after you've already swallowed and manifests itself, rather tamely, as a warming sensation in the chest. Leather, dark chocolate. Very very malty, but not syrupy or cloyingly sweet, which is incredible. Lingering bitterness and burnt sugar flavors finish this baby off. Incredible complexity. The best tasting barleywine that I have ever had.

Mouthfeel (5/5): Sucaba is smoothness incarnate. Not a jagged edge on this beer to be found, and it's disturbingly easy to drink–but DON'T drink this one quickly...let it warm and savor the changing character as the beer creeps toward room temperature. The body is appropriately full and the carbonation level is right where it should be–low, that is. This beer has the velvet touch. It's not aggressive even though it packs a ton of flavor.

Overall (5/5): Absolutely outstanding. Easily one of the best beers in the style. Take this one slow and appreciate true craftsmanship.

05-07-2013 20:36:46 | More by hagbergl
MattSweatshirt

4.54/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2013 vintage served to me with a deep ruby body and a ring of bubbly off-white/khaki head.

The nose is full of rich caramel, toffee, vanilla, wood, and bourbon.

This tastes exquisite. Caramel ,toffee, vanilla, coconut, bourbon/alcohol peeks through a bit as well as a touch of chocolate and cherry fruitiness. Damn.

Subtle bubbly carbonation with a nice smooth medium bodied mouthfeel.

Easily the best barleywine I have had.

04-10-2013 02:35:13 | More by MattSweatshirt
BucannonXC5

4.63/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Type: Draft
Glass: 0.25L tulip
From: Blind Lady Ale House in Normal Heights (San Diego, Calif.)
Price: $6.50
Purchased: March 31, 2013
Consumed: March 31, 2013
Misc.: N/A

Poured a black amber color with three fingers of khaki cream head. Nice amount of thick, sporadic, foamy lacing on the sides. Good retention all the way down.

Smelled sweet, red wine, bourbon, sour cherries, caramel, light vanilla and light smoky tobacco.

Tasted so smooth out of the gate as the alcohol is well hidden. Got sour cherries, vanilla and not as much bourbon as the nose. Some oak and toffee. Tasted a bit like warm Cherry Coke. Light smokiness.

Medium body. Creamy texture. Soft (below average) carbonation. Warming, smooth finish.

Wow! I finally got to try this and it didn’t disappoint. Smooth and flavorful all the way down. Would love to get my hands on this again. Wanted to go a 4.75 for the overall but couldn't quite pull the trigger.

04-01-2013 04:54:22 | More by BucannonXC5
drrone

Utah

4.48/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - a beautitul dark mahagony color whic is all but opaque. Barely one finger of a beige creamy head that dissapated quickly. Little to no lacing.
S- I was surpised how little nose there was, but from I could pick up it had a sweet, sugary base, bourbon, with molasses and malt.
T-what was missing in scent it far made up for in taste. It has a great bourbon and alcohol kick, with very nice touches of vanilla and caramel.
M-it is easy to drink, but has that syrup-like texture throughout.
O- a great treat on draft. Although it didn't have quite the kick that the bottle I had a couple of weeks ago. A fanatastic beer either way.

03-24-2013 19:31:00 | More by drrone
Philousa

4.11/5  rDev -9.3%

Imbibed at Wine Affairs on 3/4/13.

Deep amber, clear in appearance with a very creamy half finger tan head. Spots cling to the glass sparingly. Lots of caramel with toffee candy, rich chocolate, vanilla, and strong oak (not overpowering). Toasted wheat bread is also prevalent. Caramel and vanilla dominate the palate with dark chocolate, candied sugar, and lot of booze to end. Feel is slightly viscous with a dry finish. Great, but I can't have more than a snifter since it's so sweet.

03-05-2013 18:28:58 | More by Philousa
Beerswag

4.74/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

8oz pour from Pangea in Sacramento Cali.2013 reserve stamped.
A- minimal 1/8" head, with a carmel hue. Bubbles are micro and gone around 60sec. Very nice leg-lacing, not rings, more like rivers. Walnut/milk chocolate color body, with slight transparacy, due to the darkness. Great looking beer.
S-vanilla, raisin, oak, cab sauv, coco,coffee,plum. Amazing profile in my opinion; a beer to share amongst your closest friends/relatives(who highly appreciate beer).
T-high alc up front as in the nose, finishes with coco, and oak. Not a sweet barley wine, earthy. Bourbon cask very apparent
M-nice smooth mouthfeel with a well balanced and conceptual approach. Starts big with the finish complex. On the light side as far as body-mouthfeel in my opinion, for a 12.5%er. Slight pepper tounge/woodsy palate feel.
O- this beer will only be appreciated for those who can handle complex flavor profiles, or pairs it with fine cheeses. Seems like a great bourbon aged BW to pair with a sharp/deep/rich cheeses. Fdub is my name for Firestone/Walker!conitnues to set a standard for me.

02-25-2013 00:29:17 | More by Beerswag
jvillefan

4.89/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

On tap at Firestone-Walker

A: A very deep brown/ruby color with a laced ivory white head.

S: Very strong caramel and toffee aromas in the front of this beer. There is a nice bourbon finish on the back end.

T: Very sweet, but not overdone, caramel, toffee, fig flavor on the front end. The flavor then transitions to a smooth oaky bourbon finish. Very well done.

M: Great carbonation for the ABV and great smooth viscosity as it moves across the palate.

O: The best Barleywine out there. This beats King Henry and Mother of All Storms in my opinion.

02-02-2013 02:25:23 | More by jvillefan
Murrhey

Montana

4.05/5  rDev -10.6%

Had as part of the "Reserve Flight" at the Bruery Provisions for its Firestone Walker tap takeover. Poured in a 2oz taster. Reviewed from notes.

A- Nut brown color, no head which I can ascribe to the ABV. Has nice clarity.

S- Maltiness, booze, caramel and toffee. Warm smell and more pleasing than most Barleywines I have had.

T- Smooth malty flavor with a brandy flavor and nice toffee and toasty notes. Wonderful feel, and something to get drunk off of.

M- Vinous and thin. Dry feel.

O- Great beer.

04-23-2012 05:20:28 | More by Murrhey
PopeXXIII

District of Columbia

4.7/5  rDev +3.8%

A: Poured a dark brown, almost port color.

S: Had a very classic barleywine nose, sweet, malty.

T: Sweet, with a little alcohol warmth. Not overpowering. Nice and balanced.

M: Smooth

Overall one of the best barleywines I've tasted. It's easy for this style to get out of control, but this was a very drinkable beer.

04-03-2012 19:50:17 | More by PopeXXIII
§ucaba (Abacus) from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.