§ucaba - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

§ucaba§ucaba

2011 Reserve Series Bottle Notes:
O.G. 27 Plato
F.G. 4.7 Plato
I.B.U. 42 units
Yeast: British Ale (House)
Cases: 1500 produced
Color: 36SRM (Dark Ruby)

2014 Bottle Notes
O.G. 27 Plato
F.G. 4.7 Plato
I.B.U. 42 units
Yeast: British Ale (House)
Cases: 3500 produced
Color: 36SRM (Dark Ruby)

Matured for 1 year in a blend of Heaven Hill, 4 Roses, and Old Fitzgerald barrels.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,200 | Reviews: 809

4.71/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I had a bottle of 2013 §ucaba that had been aged for exactly one year. After missing out on the 2014 §ucaba release at my go-to liquor stores, I consoled myself by breaking out the 2013 version from my cellar. §ucaba pours a deep ruby brown with a tan head that dissapates relatively quickly. The smell had notes of toffee, caramel, bourbon, vanilla, and oak. The taste was fantastic combination of sweet decadent caramelized malts and bourbon barrel notes. Burnt caramel, toffee, butterscotch, caramelized brown sugar, bourbon, charred oak, vanilla, coconut, dark sweet cherries, and subtle chocolate/coffee flavors. §ucaba has a pronounced barrel character that compliments the sweet malts beautifully without feeling too boozy. I thought the bourbon notes were quite smooth without the type of heat that you might expect from a 12.5% ABV barleywine. I think one year of aging may have been the perfect cellaring period. The mouthfeel was remarkably smooth, velvety, and drinkable for the ABV. This beer was truly a pleasure to drink. Firestone Walker has blown me away again once again with their bourbon barrel-aged releases. If I have to choose my favorite barleywine of all-time, it is a close call between §ucaba and Bourbon County Barleywine, but I think I would have to give a slight edge to §ucaba. Simply fantastic.

4.54/5  rDev +0.4%

2013 Vintage aged 1 year:

Wow... Just wow. I am absolutely blown away by how this beer tastes. I went into this with certain expectations, all of them good, and it completely surpassed them on all accounts. This is all about huge flavor and perfect balance. The taste is a swirl of sweet dark fruits (Cherry, apple, fig) with vanilla, oak and bread, whisky and a touch of spiciness at the end. Whisky is everywhere in the nose and taste, but is only ever so slightly boozey in the mouth giving it a warmth that lingers. The texture is pretty much perfect silky smooth, with nice mild carbonation even after a year. Since these reviews encompass more than just taste, I have to nit pick. Smell was fantastic, but decidedly muted; I love a huge nose on huge beers. Lots of aged whisky, with lots of wood barrel presence, apples, toasted nuts. Finally, this is not a terribly appealing beer to lake at to me. It is a muddy reddish-brown, with hints of what wanted to be some head but could only muster a few lonely bubbles along the rim of the glass. It's dark and murky, and it simply isn't my favorite beer to look at. Like I said, nitpicking. Any inconsequential negative trait that I could try to pull out is simply dwarfed by the absolute perfection of the taste.

Overall, this very well could be my new favorite barleywine with the only other possibility being Stickee Monkey, another from Firestone. I am absolutely giddy looking forward to trying the 2014 Sucaba release.

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
§ucaba from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.