2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Parabola - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

ParabolaParabola

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  13.00% ABV

Russian Imperial Oatmeal Stout aged for 8 months in circa 1990's Heaven Hill bourbon barrels.

2011
OG: 29.5p [plato]
IBU: 82 [high]
Cases: 3000 produced [LTD]
Aged: 12 mo [time in barrel]
Yeast: British Ale [house]
Color: 167SRM [midnight black]

(Beer added by: largadeer on 03-26-2008)
View: Beers (64) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Parabola Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,723 | Reviews: 923 | Show All Ratings:
JamisonM

Arizona

Vintage 2010 Poured into a snifter

A: looks thick, it pours black so black maybe the blackest beer I have ever seen brown head looks so good glugging out of the bottle.

S: Rich sweetness deep caramel brandy notes bourbon notes chocolate and vanilla complex and very great smelling beer even maybe some dark cherry in there wow! no alcohol to speak of and I am drinking this thing warm almost room temp

T: Rich complex up front slight tartness on the tip of your tongue lots of bourbon and brandy character with chocolate. vanilla and cherry with roasted malts. 13% and no alcohol wow

M: super thick, one of the thickest beers I have ever had.

Overall: This is the best imperial stout I have ever had, Thanks FSW for making this crazy ass huge beer that is crazy good.

05-22-2011 21:54:23 | More by JamisonM
bbkd3b

After the Abacus, I immediately added this to my wish list for brews. Luckily, there were quite a few to be found in Columbia, though my frequented stores ran out rather rapidly. Still, I got a hold regardless, and let's see what this is all about:

The near-black body gives away this beer's nature immediately. A tan head swirls to life, but pulls away very slowly, leaving only a ring around the edges of the brew. I don't even need to lean in to get my first impressions - the smell hit me from a mile away. Regardless, the chocolate notes are unreal, along with a nice mixture of robust, roasted malts, coffee, vanilla, and just the slightest bitterness. Surreal, potent, powerful - these are what a beer should be.

Sipping it reveals the best this beer really is. First impressions are like drinking a mocha beverage. Clean, smooth, almost like a dessert in a glass! As the thick body warmed, it's harsher side slowly came to be. The bitterness started to attack the tongue, reminding you that this is a wholly American-style Imperial stout. Notes of coffee and vanilla formed at the front of the tongue. What amazes me is that there was absolutely no trace of alcohol to be found here. Astonishing brew.

Overall/notes - I didn't think it possible, but Firestone Walker topped Abacus on this one. It's like perfection bottled. I never thought I'd live to see the day I tasted what I feel is a perfect brew. This will forever be on my watch list. I just need to get some dark chocolate along for the ride next time I can find it. Seek this out and savor it. A true sipper.

06-20-2011 01:48:43 | More by bbkd3b
OPWN3NTSL4Y3R

An aggressive pour into Duvel glass tulip

A- Black as midnight, tan/brown 3 finger tight frothy head, dissipates into intricate lace

S- Bittersweet dark chocolate, espresso/coffee, charred oak

T- Blew me away, BIG coffee, BIG chocolate, oak barrel, not too bitter, balanced sweet malts, warming alcohol is present

M- Creamy sweet, medium carbonation, full bodied, not too dry on the finish

O- Quite an experience in a bottle, incredibly complex, flavors come in waves, not jumbled together. This one will only get better with age

07-08-2011 23:32:00 | More by OPWN3NTSL4Y3R
OStrungT

This beer poured jet black with a thin brown head. the head faded fast, leaving no lave.

This beer smelled strongly of vanilla. I also got some oak aroma, mixed in with some bourbon. Sweet caramle and molasses were alos poesent. A slight chocolate note mixes in as well.

This beer tastes like it smells. Sweet caramel with a healthy dose of vanilla. Bourbon as well, but more subtle.

This beer very smooth. It leaves a vanilla like aftertaste. The alcohol is well hidden in the aroma and the flavor.

This beer might not make a good session beer because it is pretty high in alcohol.

Overall: I had this at Howie and Sons in Visalia. I have had it before, and I have always loved it. This is probably one of the best bourbon aged beers I have ever had.

07-23-2011 15:15:57 | More by OStrungT
SkiBum22

A - Dark as night, absolutely viscous appearance. Very minimal head with strong lacing on the glass.

S - Chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, dark fruits, coffee, oak. You can barely smell the alcohol.

T - Sweet roasted malts and chocolate up front. On the back coffee, toffee, caramel, and vanilla. You can barely taste the bourbon.

M - Very good smooth feel. A lot softer then I would have guessed. Just like velvet.

O - Wow, that was the first word that came to mind after the first sip. This beer is as close as excellence can get in my opinion. By far the best beer for me this year and definitely in my top 5 all-time. Thank god I have one more bottle aging!

07-25-2011 20:15:55 | More by SkiBum22
sbegraft

Incredible brew.

a nice medium of aged Founders KBS and goose island Bourbon County Stout,

This beer exceeded all expectations.

great small great mouth feel taste is 2 nd to none. Definitely the best stout i have tasted in a long time.

I have not tasted such a complex beer in a long time.

Bought the rest that was on the shelf from the only craft shop that carried it.

07-26-2011 04:07:24 | More by sbegraft
ActonBrewer

Poured into a Smuttynose Big Beer tulip

A: Beautiful brown two fingered head with a creamy black body. This is exactly how I want my stouts to look.

S: OH MY GOD. I can't stop smelling this beer. Chocolate, sweet tobacco, coffee and a slight smokiness. If they made air fresheners that could copy this, I'd buy them out. As the beer warms, the chocolate really comes out as the forward aroma.

T: As the beer warms, the taste gets better. Alcohol is very well hidden by the chocolate, dark fruit, and coffee flavors. As it warms the chocolate goes from sweet to bitter. I'm also getting some cherry that I assume is from the barrels.

M: Good body and carbonation considering the ABV. Nice and creamy.

O: This beer has ruined other Imperial Stouts for me. This is probably one of THE best stouts I've had. I can't wait to see how this beer develops over time.

08-16-2011 03:55:19 | More by ActonBrewer
Davidpgibbons

Pours super thick black i mean black! Carmel color lacing wrapping the sides of the glass which diss very quickly.
Aroma strikes totally boozey but nicely with a sweet toffee smell.
Taste tingles the tongue and hits hard with bourbon. I get more toffee some vanilla and chocolate, mixing perfectly with the bourbon maltiness of the beer
aftertaste is quite nice linguring on my tongue for a while
overall an amazing ba russian imp, you can pretty much gurentee any of the firestone brews are gonna be solid!
Im looking forward to ageing this beast for a couple yrs and trying again, i can only imagine it will get better

08-18-2011 02:05:27 | More by Davidpgibbons
Bobheed

A: Silky black body, very thick. Nice one finger dark tan head with good lacing. This is what a stout should look like

S: Getting a lot of vanilla, bourbon and coffee in the nose. Very, very sweet smell with a bit of alcohol in there

T: Very roasty, a lot of complexity on this one. Getting a very dark, almost like baking chocolate flavor first, which transitions into sort of vanilla and coffee. Then the barrel flavor hits and I absolutely melted. I am picking up the bourbon, but not too strong and it accentuates the roasted malts to make a perfectly balanced imperial stout for the gods.

M: As noted in the body, silky. Liquid velvet. Nice and thick with little carbonation and a nice warm finish courtesy of the bourbon barrel

Overall there is not enough praise I can give this beer. This is a picture perfect RIS, and without a doubt the best one I have had to date. I would gladly buy it by the case if it was easier to obtain. My hunt for this most elusive beer was well worth it.

08-28-2011 05:37:31 | More by Bobheed
Demer

2011 vintage

A. Solid Black with a tan head that dissipates quickly, some spotty foam remains on the surface.

S. Chocolate, roasted malts, bourbon, vanilla, oak all brought together by a lingering sweetness.

T/M. Wow, amazing. A full bodied beer that gets into every taste bud. The alcohal is very well hidden for a 12.5% beer The first flavor you get it Bourbon and it is great. Followed by bitter chocolate, espresso, coffee and vanilla. Im getting a little of the tabacco taste on the finish I often get after smoking a great cigar. The oak is always there as well but never prominent. This one is world class.

O. This is a special beer. I am glad I have a few more to crack open in the next few months and years. It will always be for a special occasion because this is a beer that deserves it. This beer was not over hyped it deserves all the hype and praise it gets because wow it keeps getting better with every sip and blows away ones expectations. Buy/Trade or do whatever you need to do to get your hands on this one because you will be kicking yourself if you dont.

08-29-2011 00:22:34 | More by Demer
litheum94

Batch 001. Aged a little over a year.

P: Tar black body. Brown, thick head. Settles slowly, leaving a bunch of bubbles. Good lacing.

A: Espresso coffee aromas. Bitter-sweet chocolate. Some charred meat.

T: Dark fruits at first, with dark chocolate. Smoked malts mid-palate. Some vanilla and molasses. Coffee bitterness. Smooth bourbon burn, lasting long in the mouth. Viscous and dense.

My benchmark for barrel aged stouts. Absolutely phenomenal. Hasn't evolved much from the first time I've had it, though there is a more pronounced smokiness to it. We'll see what it tastes like in another year!

09-05-2011 20:17:44 | More by litheum94
RocPorterFanatic

A - Pours jet black into a tulip glass. Intense tan head leaving delicate lacing down the sides of the glass.

S - Aromas of toasted marshmallows, grilled fruit, molasses and coffee overwhelm the nose.

T - Very smooth. Alot of molasses and toffee in the first sip. Coffee and cream flavors follow, slight hop bitterness. Simply divine!! Vanilla and bourbon flavors follow with alcohol warmth.

M - Thick and viscous, but the carbonation breaks it up and keeps it interesting.

O - WOW!!! I've been itching to get my hands on a bottle of this for years. It was definitely worth the wait.

12-31-2011 23:59:51 | More by RocPorterFanatic
StoryOfTheGhost

My favorite beer from my favorite brewery. This is the closest thing to perfection that I have ever tried. I can not understand how there are 28 beers that are rated higher than this on the top 100. I have tried several of the beers that are rated higher, and I just don't see it.

A- Black with copper head

S- Coffee, dark chocolate, cherries, roasted malts, vanilla

T- Oh my goodness. I was in love with the first taste. I actually got in my car quickly and went and bought the other two that were left at the store before I finished it. Coffee and bitter chocolate are the primary flavors- but not overpowering coffee. It is sweet too, with a lot of cherry and vanilla.

M- This is my favorite body. Flat, thick, stays in your mouth.

O- Like I said, a perfect beer. I always take value into account when doing overall, and even though I spent $14 on these, I think it is a great value for this beer

01-09-2012 22:27:35 | More by StoryOfTheGhost
areich6

Enjoying with my good friend pschul4

A: The pour itself is as black as night. There is very little head. This beer is as dark as charcoal.

S: The bourbon is present along with fantastic roasty malts and even vanilla. This beer smells sweeter than many other bourbon barrel aged beers. Smells delectable.

T: Tasts exactly how it smells and better. The alcoholic bite from the bourbon is balanced perfectly with the roasty coffer like characteristics and vanilla sweetness. You get the bourbon for a short period of time and then it finishes with a superb amount of vanilla flavor.

M: Oh my god. This is my idyllic view of how a stout should feel. It is as thick and sticky as molasses and goes down the throat extremely smoothly. At 12.5% there is very little bite from the alcohol yet the bourbon taste is still very evident.

O: One of the best beers I have ever had hands down.

03-27-2012 02:28:22 | More by areich6
bvdubn

2010 vintage 22oz bottle poured into a wide mouth wine glass at a bar.

The beer pours pitch black. Little head but honestly I wasn’t paying close attention because it was too cold so I set it off to the side to warm while I finished the 2010 Abyss I was drinking. When I get to the Parabola I take a deep whiff and smell chocolate, bourbon, and roasted malts. I am blown away by my first sip and it only gets better. The alcohol is hidden very well and I get chocolates and bourbon. The beer is sweet and delicious. This is definitely one of the best stouts I have ever had. I am going to pick up a few fresh bottles when it is released this year but I will not hesitate to age as a few years has done this beer well.

05-01-2012 03:00:38 | More by bvdubn
whatthehull

2011

Pint glass

A - beautiful deep sludgy black, one finger between brown and tan head and some nice lacing

S - cinnamon, sugar, anise, very nice bourbon booze, very nice light but full flavor coffee, dark and milk chocolate, straw/ras/black berries, currents, caramel, molasses, tons of vanilla, cherry, earthy hops, huge sweet and roasted malts, nice must, tons of wood, earth and greens

T - dark and milk chocolate, huge earth, bourbon, tons of berries, vanilla, huge malts sweet and roasted, nice hop, one of the best coffee notes in any stout ever, cinnamon, cherry,

M - huge full body, awesome complexity, wonderful balance, low acidity and a very long delicious finish

D/O - one of the best drinking, best tasting, refreshing and awesome stouts ever. This is very impressive. I could and would drink this beast daily. If you like stouts and not this one, you are a fool. Get your hands on this beast, the warmer it gets, the better

Final thoughts - GET THIS BEER

05-28-2012 06:29:17 | More by whatthehull
Impfan

Washington

Midnight black pour with two finger tan head. Nose of dark chocolate, cherries, rum, coffee, graham cracker, sandalwood, toffee, and bourbon. Flavor is similar, but there’s a good deal of plum, nougat, vanilla, leather, and tobacco as well. Mouthfeel is silky, and rich without being too thick. The finish is pretty balanced, and absurdly lengthy, but there is char, and a hint of bitter coffee grounds which I happen to think only adds to this big boy’s character. In the same league with The Abyss, but more complex, and even better.

"Ignore the comments on that it's too hot, it's perfect."

What Sirtomtom said!

06-02-2012 21:47:08 | More by Impfan
SonOfThor

A - Oily pitch black pour, very viscous. Absolutely no light shining through this. Small tan head recedes into darkness, but that's totally expected for a 12.5% abv beverage such as this.

S - Wow! There are so many componentes to this aroma. I get cherry, vanilla, chocolate, coffee, earthy hops, some leathery flavours, and big roasty character. This smells incredible!

T - I get the same components as in the aroma, but with some more sweetness. This is well balanced by bitterness from both the hops and the roasted malts. There are some definite vinous qualities here. This is a beautifully crafted work of art.

M - Huge mouthfeel on this beer. The creaminess of an oatmeal stout x10! What an amazingly rich beer. This is a beer in no need of pairing, it is a meal on it's own.

O - I'm sure this is the best imperial stout I've tasted, and it's very likely the best beer I've ever had. This blew my mind, I'm soooo glad I've got one more bomber. I'm going to give it a good old fashioned cellaring. I highly recommend this beer. If you see it, buy it! don't worry about the $14 price tag, it's totally worth it.

06-19-2012 07:08:40 | More by SonOfThor
TheRealBigC

Nevada

Of all the beers I've ever tried, this one might have officially taken the crown as my favorite beer.

Served on tap at 775 Gastropub.

Deep brown body, thick mocha head with solid retention for an imperial.

Rich aromas of coffee, cocoa, tobacco and more. One of those beers where you want to get a huge sniff in before a sip, and you want all the sips you can get. All of that fragrance translates into the flavor and it's as robust as any imperial stout you'll ever have.

It's clearly a strong beer, but the strength of the flavor works in tandem with the strength of the alcohol like cognac. Every sip is enjoyable, the alcohol is never overwhelming, but it makes its presence well known on the palate and in your body. Take it nice and slow. It's a perfect beer.

07-26-2012 22:17:49 | More by TheRealBigC
mjw1200

This beer is one of the best beers I have ever tasted. the perfectly right amount of booze enhances an impressively crafted stout. Outside of eclipse 20 yr Elijah Craig aged stout I can't think of anything better. Only slight slight draw back is I would have liked some more thickness

01-05-2013 23:27:28 | More by mjw1200
Rainier

2013 Vintage on tap.
I would just say, this year's vintage is hands down so much better than last years. Last year's had too much coconuts, but this year's had the perfect amount. I really don't know what else to say as this is hands down the best RIS I have ever had. Not sure if huna, KBS, dark lord is going to be better.

Appearance: Hella dark but nice. Hella alcohol lacing. Hella everything(good thing) Nice head too.
Smell: This is the best part of the beer. Hella chocolate. Perfect amounts of coconut. Hella good bourbon smell. Hella great smelling beer
Taste: Heaven. All I can say
Moutfeel: Syrupy, but not too much. Had good amount of carbonation but not too much.
Overall: Holy crap this beer was effing delicious..

tl;dr - Hella good.

I had a sample snifter of this during a tour.

04-13-2013 23:28:57 | More by Rainier
RichD

Rhode Island

Been anticipating trying this beer for so long. Batch 004 poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a pitch, murky black. There was a small dark khaki colored head that eventual gave way to nothing.

S: Upon first smell, I get huge notes of coconut and vanilla with some wood character. Some oats and deep chocolate also fill my nostrils with glee. What a fantastic smell. Some dark fruits also come through, though muted.

T: Holy god! This is fantastic. Huge vanilla and coconut flavors start this out and chocolate comes through as well. The bourbon character is tremendous. It's not overpowering at all. Roasted coffee comes in for the finish, and what a finish it is.

M: An incredibly smooth brew this is. Medium mouthfeel

Overall: This is a treat for me to even have this considering how long I've been waiting to try this. The chocolate and coffee flavors mesh so well with the coconut and vanilla that come from the barrel aging. The 13% is virtually non existent so far. This is a well constructed beer and I'm definitely glad I got to enjoy this. This is one of the best beers I've ever had and Firestone Walker may have the best barrel aging programs in the world and this is a clear indicated of it.

05-25-2013 00:46:25 | More by RichD
sjones5045

This review should just say "Perfect" and that's it. But since the site has to have a certain number of characters I guess I'll keep writing.

The pour is jet black and unlike others in the class the head appears strong white and fades quick rather than having a thin to almost no head like others.

The smell is a simply sweet chocolate smell. Nothing too big but I like it cause it actually hides what is about to happen.

Ok, the taste is as perfect as they come. There is nothing better in the beer world hands down. And this comes from the biggest KBS fan and Founders fan there is. The taste is the definition of balanced. The bourbon is such great balance where is blends with the chocolate taste with literally no aftertaste. Smooth as smooth gets. It's a heavy feel but perfect for the style.

Overall, it's the perfect beer. It has everything you look for in a beer. Look, smell and taste are all superior to everything out there. The big complaint is this beer is extremely hard to get. I now have to wait another year to have this again.

06-14-2013 21:54:57 | More by sjones5045
bnelson997

The cliche that "words can't express" definitely comes to mind. That said, here are some puny words from me to express my views of this nectar of the gods. This bottle was a 2012 release poured into a Firestone Walker tulip.

A - Black as night. A vigorous pour which yielded a 2 finger tan head that dissipated quickly, as is to be expected.

S - Roasty, toasty malts which gave up dark and milk chocolate, vanilla, oak, bourbon, and espresso.

T - Wow! The rich coffee and espresso notes really shine in this vintage. The oaky vanilla/bourbon doesn't smack you in the face, it's released ever so sweetly and delicately from the front to the back of your mouth. There is even some slight dark fruit in the middle. The age has done this beer wonders and you just don't taste the 13% ABV. Definitely a sweetness, but one that is pleasant and rich, not cloying.

M - Ever so silky across the palate.

O - Hands down, this is my personal favorite beer of all time. So well balanced and should be the example for brewer's everywhere what a barrel aged Imperial Stout should be. It ages perfectly, but is oh so fantastic as a young beer (I had the 2013 on release weekend at the brewery on tap). I just have to say over and over how good this beer is!

07-30-2013 07:52:22 | More by bnelson997
steenkampa

Amazingly balanced hefty stout, at a great price.

The first time I had this one, 2011, I walked into a BevMo to buy two beers for myself to drink during a house party...and got 2 bottles of this, thinking "meh, cheap burly Stout, that'll do great for the night" not knowing at all what I had.

Half way through the night, I'm completely trashed off both bottles wondering what this was and why it tasted so amazing, and when did Firestone get so good when I only remember the DBA being boring before!? This really turned me onto them, and I keep an eye out for any in the Reserve Series (Abacus/Sucaba is great, too).

Anyway. Now I always buy the max, and I have at least 2-3 of each vintage since then in my cellar.

Dark, rich, not much carbonation, chocolate and bourbon notes, lots of roasted malts...just about everything I want in a stout.

Can't wait for the 2014 release, so I can keep the cycle going.

08-08-2013 21:40:22 | More by steenkampa
Parabola from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.