Parabola - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

ParabolaParabola

Wants: 2,342
Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  13.00% ABV

Russian Imperial Oatmeal Stout aged for 8 months in circa 1990's Heaven Hill bourbon barrels.

2011
OG: 29.5p [plato]
IBU: 82 [high]
Cases: 3000 produced [LTD]
Aged: 12 mo [time in barrel]
Yeast: British Ale [house]
Color: 167SRM [midnight black]

(Beer added by: largadeer on 03-26-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Parabola Alström Bros

1.12/5  rDev -75.7%

1.48/5  rDev -67.9%

1.5/5  rDev -67.5%

1.86/5  rDev -59.7%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Parabola is the best beer in the whole world!!
Parabola is the best beer in the whole world
Let's to taste its!
Please, let's to taste it.
Parabola is the best beer in the whole world!!
Parabola is the best beer in the whole world
Let's to taste its!
Please, let's to taste it.

1.91/5  rDev -58.6%

2.25/5  rDev -51.2%

2.28/5  rDev -50.5%

Serving type was a 22oz bottle that I purchased 3 months ago, and was looking forward to breaking into it!

The appearance was great! Just what I love... jet black with a tan head. The anticipation was building!

Smell. typical hard american stout. Roasted malty goodness!

Taste... I should have known it was going to be bad when the two people that I let try it did not like it. But I went for a try anyway. All I tasted was warm butter mixed with vanilla. Not what I was expecting at all. Not sure which barrel this was aged in...probably a wine one, but it was not pleasing at all. Maybe I caught a bad bottle?

Mouthfeel was fine. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Overall, not worth the price on this one.

2.5/5  rDev -45.8%

2.5/5  rDev -45.8%

2.75/5  rDev -40.3%

2.75/5  rDev -40.3%

2.8/5  rDev -39.3%

2.89/5  rDev -37.3%

This beer confused me. All the hype I've read had me expecting something different. This is just too intense for me. Maybe years from now my pallet will develop to like this one. I love imperial stouts. In fact I prefer them, but there is something going on with this that I couldn't even finish it. Funny thing is, I think I'm the only one.

2.93/5  rDev -36.4%

Bottled in 2011
Poured into a 6oz tasting glass.

A: Dark molasses color, opaque, with a minimal head that faded very quickly.

N: The smell was quite captivating. Dark fruits, caramel, chocolate, coffee and a hint of fig pudding.

T: Expecting to find the same qualities here as in the nose, I was quite let down. I found the taste to be rather one dimensional. All I could get from this beer was dark roasty malt and chocolate. I got none of the Bourbon barrel nuances that were present in the nose. Bummer.

M: As expected, a very big bodied beer, but again I was let down by the finish or lack there of.

O: Not a bad RIS, but in no way does it stand up to its hype, IMO. It just didn't work for me, too one dimensional. I kept going back to it, not because it was so good, but because I truly wanted to find something I liked in the beer, but alas there wasn't much to be found. Maybe my other bottle will fare better with a little age on it.

2.98/5  rDev -35.4%

From notes
Thanks to Mr Kennedy for opening this
Bomber poured into a tulip

A-- Poured black, one finger light brown/ sugar cane colored head. Decent retention. Little bit of spotty lacing, visible alcohol legs and bits of spotty lacing.

S-- Sugar. Lots of sugar. Very little barrel notes, what was there was faint and short lived. Vanilla and coconut were faint and fleeting. More coffee and roasted malts mixed with lots of sugar.

T-- Sweet dairy milk, sugar, more sugar. Somewhat thick and smooth.

M-- Feel and carbonation are perfect. Good body. Sugar is much more toned down in the feel and more about chocolate and malts. Have to note had BA Yeti before having this and the barrel notes in BA Yeti were much more obvious in every respect.

O-- Decent sweet beer. was it really aged in a barrel?? That was my biggest question. Bottle says so, so I have to concur. Really disappointed but as a straight RIS it was OK.

Parabola from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.