Parabola - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

ParabolaParabola

Wants: 2,797
Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  14.00% ABV

Beer added by: largadeer on 03-26-2008

Russian Imperial Oatmeal Stout aged for 8 months in circa 1990's Heaven Hill bourbon barrels.

2011
Yeast: British Ale [house]
Color: 167SRM [midnight black]
Reviews: 1,063 | Hads: 5,547
4.89/5  rDev +8.4%

A: jet black, deep tan head
S: rich, complex roasty. Reminiscent of coffee, toffee, dark chocolate, caramel. Some fruity esters.
T: sweet bourbon, chocolate, espresso, dark fruits, plums, raisins. Alcohol is evident but not "hot"
M: big chewy, viscous, very full-bodied stout. Velvety luscious texture.
O: everything I look for in a BA stout. One of the best I've had. Great representation of the style. FW brews gold.. (420 characters)

I had done a quick review as a 4.75 but am updating to 5.0 across the board after careful reconsideration. I claim to be an IPA guy but this stuff is perfect. A nice thick strong stout that is overflowing with flavor. Cary strong but you would;t know because it tastes so good. (277 characters)

2014 vintage poured into a dogfish snifter. First time with this, here we go!
App-poured aggressively. Half finger head. black as night with some brown on top of the sides. Legs sticking to the glass.
Ar-huge oaky barrel-aged notes. Oak, vanilla, bourbon, tobacco, dark fruit, and sweet alcohol.
T-Wow. Just wow. Everything the aroma promised and then some. Love the alcohol sweetness. Dangerously drinkable for being 14%. First get barrel flavors followed by amazing imperial stout kick. Chocolate, vanilla, bourbon, coffee, dark fruit.
MF-velvety smooth and chewy.
Overall- pure barrel aged perfection. Nuff said (614 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2014 Vintage into goblet

A: Thick oil black, viscous brew. Completely opaque, no light able to pass through this guy – Head is thin, just shy of one finger with a flecked silvery bronze hue. Body looks big and chewy – lacing appears weak along with retention and carbonation.

S: Tangy, roasted malts, bitter, dark chocolate, smoke, some acidity of tobacco and rich wood. Coffee beans, espresso, light hints of aged liquor, whisky and bourbon. Aggressive nose that reminds me of a smoldering fire pit, lightly earthy, very roasty

T: Sweet warm bourbon leads the charge with superb power. Espresso, chocolate liqueur, and a pungent smoky character follow the Bourbon; the smoke accompanies notes of burnt tobacco and oak. The middle mouth showcases a fantastic melding of sweet chocolate malts, chocolate syrup and the bitter elements imparted by ground coffee bean, bakers chocolate, vanilla extract, and a light nuttiness. The barrel profile instills essences of black cherry, date, and amaretto - Hop character is blended and quite indirect, robust vanilla bean chauffeurs in the finish, which is warming without being overly boozy.

M: Big oil slicked chewy mofo, the mouth feel you seek in a big stout. Little to no carbonation. Aftertaste is sweet and aged tasting – syrupy and very reminiscent of bourbon.

O: This is a fantastic imperial stout. Possibly the best I’ve had. Excellent BA character, big body, sweet while also piquantly bitter - There are a lot of elements here that seamlessly coalescence - exhibiting the essentials; roasty malts, sweet warming bourbon, while also presenting a aged resin with a bit of dank earth. Itsss aaaa parrrabbbboooolaaaa. Get some. (1,695 characters)

A: Pitch black
S: Bourbon and espresso, chocolate, vanilla
T: Hands down, the best stout I've ever had. I literally babysat this beer for hours, because I did not want it to end.
M: Smoothest, most syrupy stout I've ever had.
D: Best stout, makes it my only A+!

Overall: A+

This stout, in my opinion, beat out Dark Lord, Hunahpu, and Black Note. (347 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2013 bottle enjoyed in March 2014, reviewed from notes.

For my 100th review, I'm going to put down my long-standing "favorite beer," recently dethroned by BCBCS 2013.

A: Pours a deep, opaque, syrupy black with minimal fine khaki head. Very little light through the edges of the glass reveals a dark brown color. 4.5

S: Caramel and chocolate are prominent; along with vanilla, coconut, bourbon, and oak from the barrel. A very slight smoke character has emerged in this bottle. Interestingly, in another three months most of the coconut and vanilla that I found on this bottle were nowhere to be found in either of two 2013 bottles opened. 4.75

T/M: Thick, slightly coating, and with moderate carbonation (that pretty quickly leaves as the beer warms.) Caramel, cocoa, and mild bitterness lead into swelling notes of molasses, light coffee roastiness, and finally a coconut and vanilla finish. Since then the coffee has begun to fall off slightly and some more dark fruit character has emerged. 4.75/4.75

O: After almost a year, still a phenomenal beer. I think I'm finding out that I actually prefer Parabola from fresh to just under a year in age, but even with those bottles that I've enjoyed slightly less I have had no real complaints. My favorite parts about this (and most of FW's barrel-aged beers) are the coconut and vanilla notes, so I strongly prefer enjoying this while they are still present. (1,410 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pours black, thick, oily, and light sucking. Small dark khaki head is slow to form. Head leaves small spiderweb lacing behind as it dissipates. Lacing doesn't last.

Aroma is roasted malt, sweet bourbon, and tobacco. Caramel and toffee add more sweetness. Undertones of chocolate and coffee.

Taste is bourbon, cocoa, oak, tobacco, and caramel. Hints of vanilla. Mild espresso. Rich malt undertones tie everything together. Sweet without being cloying or syrupy.

Rich, luscious mouth feel. Full body. Oily, thick, and creamy. Paints the tongue with flavor. Mild carbonation.

This is a true standout beer. Amazing complexities in both aroma and taste. Everything blends and compliments well. Great sipper. Even with the high abv, I didn't get any alcohol notes. (784 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2013 bottle cellared. I have a couple more bottles thought I'd review one from last year:

A: fairly vicious machine pild black. Nice carbonation for a ba stout. Solid tracing.

S: admittedly a little offputting but I've noticed this during the aging process in the past. Somewhat muted bitterness from dark chocolate and coffee notes. Subtle esters. Deep fruit but not prominent. Fresh smells a lot better although some might say a bit harsher.

T: more balanced albeit the coffee is toned down and rather muted. It lingers on the finish very nice. Good bourbon character and sweetness from the hh barrels. Currants come through with some vanilla. No ester presence. Some mild prune, deep fruits, but mostly luxurious coffee. Not perfect but close.

M: solid with no alcohol burn. The finish is very clean. Coats the mouth well. Would love a thicker mouthfeel but this is nice. More subtle with age.

Overall: a hyped up barrel aged stout that deserves the hype. Its balanced and still hasn't complete lost the coffee and it hasn't distorted the beer either. I thoroughly enjoyed the 2014 fresh. The flavors come out real well. Firestone makes ba beers that drink really well fresh which I appreciate although this is more balanced with zero alcohol presence. Fresh smells a lot better too. Overall a difficult beer to review because time changes this a lot for the better. (1,375 characters)

4.33/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Brief re-re-review of the 2014 vintage. Now, I can safely say, Parabola finally lives up to the hype. All the best qualities of the '13 vintage (the depth, the richness, the bourbon character) was here in full force, but - despite being 14% - it wasn't that harsh. The oak was prevalent, but the fusel-y abrasiveness of the '13 was almost perfectly muted this time around. I was really shocked how well balanced this was (especially taking the last 2 vintages into account). Only thing I can really nitpick now is that it was rather sweet - hell, so is BCBS, and look at the score I still gave it! This is everything I hoped Parabola would be ever since I moronically spent $40 for a bottle at a DC bar 2 years ago.

2014: (3.5/4.25/4.5/4.5/4.25)
2013: (3.5/4/4/4/4)
2012: (2.5/3/4.5/3.5/3.5)
----

Re-review of the 2013 vintage. 22 oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a very dark brown color; it isn't quite as pitch black as the 2012 version. There's more head than the previous vintage, though - a one finger khaki shade. It doesn't last a very long time, however a thin collar of lacing is left on the side of the glass.

S: There's a lot of dark chocolate at first, subtly augmented with a good bourbon character. Concentration will yield additional notes of brown sugar, hazelnut, currants, plums, vanilla, and coconut. I wish the aroma was more 'in-your-face', but I can't at all complain about the decent complexity and relative lack of harsh alcohol.

T: Pleasant dark chocolate and vanilla opens the palate, before it develops a currant-heavy midtaste. The back end is very heavy in charred oak, with some additional roasted malts (a welcome addition compared to last year), and piny hops. The big problem here is how obnoxiously boozy the finish is - especially taking its lack of notable alcohol aroma into consideration. However, much like Sucaba, the harshness seems to decrease the more this is imbibed. Even better, it shows good depth of flavor. At the end of the day, I enjoy it's decent bitterness and bourbon character too much to nitpick its flaws.

M: This seems to be a bit drier on the back of the palate compared to last year. It's just as sticky and viscous, though. The body itself is wonderfully creamy, with a medium texture befitting a barrel-aged RIS. Carbonation isn't terribly strong, and alcohol presence is assertive.

O: Let me start out by saying I'd be lying through my teeth if I said this wasn't a great BA RIS. It presents an excellent bourbon character and a depth others in the style lack. However, it's just too harsh to be world-class in my mind. Still, I'm really intrigued over aging my other bottle for a year to see how it develops. (2,688 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bomber I let sit on my counter for twenty-five minutes into a snifter. Get the fridge chill off, ya dig? Now...I feel as though BCBS was the finest example of a bourbon barrel stout I've had up to this point. I gave BCBS an easy 5 in all categories so I can't help but measure Parabola against BCBS.

The appearance is nice and dark, deep and brooding. It's a night in Transylvania in a glass. But the motor oil thickness I was so hoping would accompany the pour wasn't there. Not a big issue, but a mark down from BCBS.

Smell...tremendous. I love a nose full of boozy bourbon, the alcohol burning my nostrils. It's incredible! I'm sure there's more to appreciate, but I'll toss it all aside in favor of the booze.

Taste...everything an imperial stout should be, plus that killer booziness! YES!

Mouthfeel...again, a slight demerit here. Ever so slight. And only because it doesn't quite match the syrupy quality of BCBS. It's not as thick, and I wanted it to be.

Overall...a gem. I'm sorry I even said anything negative. (1,041 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -31%

To start I am trying the 2014 vintage and I admit that stouts aren't my preferred style, but I do like trying new things and I do attempt to expand my horizons. That being said, I just didnt really care for this. I found it overwhelmingly sweet. My first sip I immediately get the bourbon, followed by chocolate. The oak and coffee begin to creep in after a couple of sips but sweetness is dominate. The mouth feel is a bit heavy for my preference, but not off-putting necessarily. I can appreciate the number of flavors and the balance of those flavors but this is just not for me. Kind of reminds me a little of a barley wine, maybe I'm way off on that, I dont know. I would say if you know you dont like this style but you are trying it because of the hype (like I did) then save your money and save the bottle for someone that will enjoy it. (845 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +6.9%

I'm hard pressed to say this isn't the best beer i've ever had. in my opinion the only beer I enjoy entering my chambers as much is Bourbon County Coffee, Cherry Rye, or Proprietors. I'm speaking about a cold night on a porch. This isn't fair because I drank this 2014 Parabola on the edge of a wall next to a beautiful girl, feet in the bay, 7 beers deep (and then remembered I brought Parabola). Set and Setting, this was the best beer I've ever had. It is unreal. Its like this elixir, it has the same mouthfeel as homegrown mountain Dew. It is unbelievable, unbeatable, and it is firestone walker. (601 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

Good God!! This is as close to a meal in a bottle as you will find, ANYWHERE. If you taste this without food on the palate, it comes across as deceptively minorly-boozy. Once any type of food hits the palate, the booziness comes through in a BIG way and this will kick your ass. For SURE a sipping beer, not just for the $/mL but for the mouthfeel if nothing else. A meal in a bottle and hard to match anywhere.. (412 characters)

4.98/5  rDev +10.4%

I had the honor of experiencing this brew on tap at the New England Tap House Grill in Hooksett NH on 5/28/14. This was one of those ultra-surprising unexpected finds on their(or anyone's) rotating beer list.

The beer was poured into a snifter glass and the first glance offered up one dark beauty of a beer. Mostly black with hints of brown on the edge when hit by the right lighting. No head to speak of just a slight mocha ring around the top and virtually no lacing as well. Smells of, well, bourbon. Some vanilla, aged oak, dark coffee, and some espresso also join in with the abundance of bourbon. Taste is great with the hints of the above mentioned with bourbon being the most pronounced flavor for me. Very well done mouthfeel that coats the palate and is very smooth. I found Parabola to be moderately sweet and extremely easy to drink, but a sipper with that high abv. I really enjoyed this aged stout tremendously and it was amazing to get a hold of this masterpiece . Highly recommended! (1,002 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +8%

2014 vintage, served in sniffer glass

A: pours a dark black, almost no head. Looks like a stout
S: oak, vanilla, coffee, caramel, smells very rich, a little dark fruit maybe cherry
T: Wow this is just amazing. Rich dark coffee/ espresso, lots of oak and vanilla, cherry, chocolate all blended so perfectly. It's a little hard to pick out any one flavor, I was a little skeptical about this due to the hype but it really is very good and well made. I absolutely love the barrel oak and vanilla that comes though just spectacular.
M: big bodied imperial stout, exactly what I expect it to be
O: glad I was able to get multiple bottles of this I will certainly be aging it. Glad I was also able to partake in this hard to come by beer that lives up to the hype (759 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +8%

2014Parabola from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
had it from the bottle. a lot of hype and happy to report it lives up it.pours a coal black.smells of bourbon vanilla chocolate.
the mouth is very good.
the taste is right up there with good island bcs
it's not as good but it's darn close a world class beer worth the hype get a few if you can. (341 characters)

4.4/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap in MA 5/16

A-Very dark with a slight bubbly head which was pleasant.

S-Bourbon, roasted coffee and chocolate.

T-Vanilla, roasted coffee, almond. Really awesome.

M-Oily texture but the dark aspect for the coffee and chocolate don't linger too much. Really enjoyed it.

O-Glad to finally get to try this beer, especially on tap. Typically I am a ipa fan but the KBS, parabola and others are really starting to turn me onto the darker side of craft beers. Can't wait to try more! (487 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

2013 bottle. Refrigerated for a few hours before enjoying. Very dark brown when pouring. A full glass is opaque black with virtually no head. Aroma of coffee, oak, roast. Taste is tangy, slight bitterness, some sourness, sweet, booze. Finish is tremendously oaky, sweet, a little bitter, persists for a long while. Mouthfeel is medium to full, a little sugar stickiness if you let it hang around. A real barn burner of a beer: super-complex, intense, and enjoyable. Wonderful.

EDIT: Re-capped the bottle (not air-tight), put it back in the box, in the fridge and came back to it a day later. It held the carbonation well, and the taste is just as delicious on day 2. (667 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +7.3%

2014 vintage

Purchased from La Bota Liquor in Vista CA

Poured hard into a pint glass resulted in a 1.5 inch mocha head. Caramel scent from far away as I brought the glass closer the caramel had a milky- cocoa touch to it. The first taste oozed into my tongue with a candy bar like flavor... Snickers, three musketeers, etc... A kind of chocolate that has some other creaminess to it. Some nuttiness and the booze is ever-present. The aftertaste has a minimal alcohol burn to it, and it more warms the body than the mouth. This is the most pleasant mouthfeel I have had in a beer to day. Fully sticky and silky, filling the mouth like chocolate syrup and feeling pleasant even after swallowing.

Was fully expecting some degree of hype to the ratings, but I really do not believe there is. This is a truly world class offering, a must buy 2 if you are lucky enough to see. Drink one soon and save the other for a special day. I hope to have a BCBS and Black Note soon to compare. Cheers (987 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

2013 reserve, poured in a snifter. The beer is jet black, with a light halo of off-white head. Pours very thick and smooth. Aromas are spilling out of this snifter from a good distance; this is a beast. Very rich molasses, vanilla, bourbon, woody notes, chocolate, and toffee notes provide huge layers on your sense of smell. Throughout the layers, you pick up hints of licorice, cream, cherry, tobacco, smoke and char. This smells great. Flavors are very rich, with a blast of char, bitter and roasted coffee, bitter dark chocolate, blackstrap molasses, and heavy booze notes. This is a blast on your palate. The more you drink, more flavor profiles reveal themselves, including tobacco, peat, earthy notes, and smoke. This is heavy. The body is robust, smooth, and full, like old motor oil, which is the perfect body to support this cavalcade of flavors. Rich, thickly sweet aftertaste of coffee, chocolate, and molasses, this remains heavy from start to finish. The finish is thick, smooth, and lingering. This beer keeps you on the ropes from the moment you open the bottle, and I personally loved every second of it. (1,121 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured a black body with small tan head and a lace ring that never left the glass. I pick up not only booze in the aroma but dark fruits like raisins, figs, plum(?), some bourbon and wood as well as a little sweetness. A very heavy, boozy beer that is great but definitely made sure I could only have one. Thick, not sticky but this is going to leave some beer remnants on your tongue, a little heat on the finish and this beer actually benefits from a woodiness to keep it flowing smooth. As for tastes I pick up the dark fruits which is still mostly figs and raisins and again I swear a hint of plum, possible black cherry, all combining with a vanilla-like bourbon sweetness that is wonderfully balanced. (707 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

2014 bomber poured a brownish black into a snifter with a finger of dark tan head. Smell is sweet with raisins, plums and some molasses on the nose. Taste is similarly sweet with some fruit- raisins and cherries- up front, and some milk chocolate that follows, with a touch of bitter chocolate at the end. Everything gets more intense as it warms. Carries the 14 % ABC very well. Mouthfeel is light but oily, leaves it's mark, but with a nice carbonation. Very similar to BCBS coffee in taste. Expensive, but you see where your money went. (539 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

2014 Vintage

Very expensive brew. $17+tax a bomber. Limit one per person at Spec's. Im sure this brew is worth a full review. Considering how many Barrel Stouts I've had, I'll probably be going over the same tastes as all Barrel Stouts. Not saying I won't enjoy it but saying $17 a bottle? Oh well. I digress...

Pours black as ever. No krausen (so to speak). Aromas of vanilla, bourbon, leather, molasses, chocolate. The taste is big. I wanna take it to the dance and bang it behind the building. So dangerous. Thick bodied but with curves in all the right places. Sticky vanilla and bourbon and coffee and just a hint of heat peeking out the side of the tiniest lace. This beauty will sneak up on you and make you forget your inhibitions. Forgive me father for I have sinned. This will be my last confession because I am changing my religion to worshipping this she-devil. No offense father.

I Understand why they charge so much. Well whatever they charge, the distributor upcharges, and the store upcharges. Its a great brew. Hands down. Oh and I forgot to mention, nice kiss of bitterness in the finish and and nice mellow carbo... (1,140 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2015 vintage. This beer is phenomenal. Chocolate, candi sugar, roast, oak, bourbon, molasses. I've had Parabola many times, but this year's is really nailing it right out of the gate. I'm sensitive to strong alcohol heat, and I don't think this year's is hot at all (contrary to some other reviews). And the smell... the smell. Omigod.

Previous rating (5/14/14): 4.5 (367 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

(2015 Vintage)
The beer pours out brown as it is lighter than BCBS by a good amount. Black in the glass with a ring of light head.

The aroma is bright of cherries, bourbon sweetness, lots of oak, cocoa, chocolate.

The beer up offers a pop of bourbon alcohol, lots of spice and star anise throughout the palate offering bitterness. The roast is medium for the style. Plums, raisin combine with sweetness of the bourbon. Oak hits in the mid-palate, but does not linger like previous vintages. Mouthfeel is medium to medium plus, but certainly not full.

A clear loser in a blind taste test against BCBS.

(2014 Vintage)
The beer comes in a beer comes in a black color with a brown head.

The aroma has lots of raisin and dark fruit with bourbon and chocolate.

The flavor follows with chewy chocolate, sweet vanilla, and chocolate in the front. Then there's some hint of umami and meaty qualities and a big caramel sweetness. Then onto an explosion huge back palate of toasted coconut. Almost like biting into an Almond Joy or eating toasted coconut.

The beer then ends of oak, leather and tobacco. 10-15 minutes in, the oak tannins will still linger, which actually is a bit too much.

The mouthfeel is medium plus to full, though not as viscous as Bourbon County.

A wonderful brew, but still not as good as Bourbon County.

I had this aged 2012 in keg at Brouwerij lane.

The beer comes in a pitch black with a khaki ring.

The aroma has big toffee and caramel sweetness with dark roasted notes. With some barrel wood notes. Deep rich dark raisin.

The flavor has a nuttiness with deep roasted malt. Very creamy. Vanilla. Coconut. Burnt caramel. Bitter darkest chocolate. Espresso. Definitely that oakiness from the barrels. There's a bit of that sticking sweetness. Finish lingers a bit, but not long. The beer lacks an alcohol bite. The aging must have really mellowed it out.

KBS is still my favorite barrel aged stout. However, this is one of my favorite still. Under Bourbon County Coffee, but above the regular version. So freaking smooth, wonderful barrel age character, just an amazing and delicious. (2,115 characters)

Parabola from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.