Parabola - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

ParabolaParabola

Wants: 2,429
Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  13.00% ABV

Beer added by: largadeer on 03-26-2008

Russian Imperial Oatmeal Stout aged for 8 months in circa 1990's Heaven Hill bourbon barrels.

2011
OG: 29.5p [plato]
IBU: 82 [high]
Cases: 3000 produced [LTD]
Aged: 12 mo [time in barrel]
Yeast: British Ale [house]
Color: 167SRM [midnight black]
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Parabola Alström Bros
4.86/5  rDev +5.4%

A: Near black pour with a minimal tan head.

S: Very very nice aroma consisting of vanilla, chocolate, coffee and a good bit of oak.

T: Most of the aroma carriers through to the taste, just wonderful. Very rich chocolate flavors and the bourbon really enters the scene mid-palate. Leaves your with a nice sweet flavor on the tongue after.

M: Nice and creamy, full body.

O: Very well balanced and complex beer. I would love to give this some time to sit and see how well it ages.

4.96/5  rDev +7.6%

Appearance: Pours a jet black with a brownish head that sticks around as I sip on this monster. As it disappears, it leaves beautiful lacing on my tulip glass.

Smell: So much going on here! I get whiffs of chocolate at first, followed by roasted barley and sweet malts. Definitely smell hints of bourbon at the end and maybe even some slight fruity undertones.

Taste: Absolutely lovely, chocolate and roasted barley with a definite alcohol hint coming at you as you sip. You can get some other sweetness in there as well, I can pick out some vanilla and molasses. The alcohol is definitely present, but this is still a great sipper.

Mouthfeel: Very strong bodied without a ton of carbonation. Very smooth at 13% which is masked well but can be tasted for sure.

Overall: This is one of the best beers I have ever had and I would love to have it again and again. The best Imperial Stout that I have tried, as I would place it slightly above Stone and BCBS which were two of my favorites. This is one of the most perfect beers I have tried, and worth seeking out.

4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

Bomber poured into a shaped pint glass. It's a 2013, no. 004.

A: Beautiful, thin black color. I poured it with minimal head, but about a half inch of thin head lingers throughout the entire enjoyment of this beer. Leaves a wall of bubbles

S: Sweet, dark chocolate; bourbon is also strong; coffee, vanilla and subtle cherry.

T: The bourbon is so strong in the taste, but not too strong if that makes any sense. Like, it's definitely there, but not over powering. The chocolate is also strong and sweet, dancing with the bourbon to make this a ridiculously tasty stout. A very rich beer. I get the vanilla and coffee lingering in the aftertaste as well.

M: Incredibly smooth, like liquid silk. It also lingers beautifully, leaving the entire mouth coated with all it's different flavors.

Overall: Seriously, this is one of the best effing beers I have ever had and may just be the best RIS I've ever enjoyed. I paid $15 for this and would easily drop $20 it's so freakin' good. Sipped it slow and made it last like a fine bourbon.

4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

4.75/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I don't know if this has been done. I'm speechless and this is a 2013 vintage I've got three more to take on a journey over the next few years. I'm just going to let Tool(Band) speak on the subject as I'm pretty sure they wrote this song just for this... So here's my review.

TOOL

"Parabola"

We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment, We are choosing to be here right now. Hold on, stay inside This holy reality, this holy experience. Choosing to be here in

This body. This body holding me. Be my reminder here that I am not alone in This body, this body holding me, feeling eternal All this pain is an illusion.

Alive, I

In this holy reality, in this holy experience. Choosing to be here in

Twirling round with this familiar parable. Spinning, weaving round each new experience. Recognize this as a holy gift and celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing.

This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality. Embrace this moment. Remember. we are eternal. all this pain is an illusion.

4.42/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2013 vintage. Served in a Firestone Walker Teku glass

Appearance: Pours black with 2 fingers of a tan, mocha colored head. Body is opaque.

Smell: Chocolate, vanilla, bourbon, butterscotch, sweet toffee, and fudge.

Taste: Roasted malt, bourbon, vanilla, roasted coffee, and wood. Lots of sweet malts upfront are balanced in the finish with a roasty bitterness and some booze.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, creamy mouthfeel. Medium carbonation. Medium/high alcohol warmth.

Overall: Yet another example of why Firestone Walker has one of the best, if not THE best, barrel programs in the world. This is drinking a little hot right now, but it's still a fairly fresh bottle. Definitely worth picking up a bottle for now and another to age.

4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

Parabola from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.