Parabola - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

ParabolaParabola

Wants: 2,441
Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  13.00% ABV

Beer added by: largadeer on 03-26-2008

Russian Imperial Oatmeal Stout aged for 8 months in circa 1990's Heaven Hill bourbon barrels.

2011
OG: 29.5p [plato]
IBU: 82 [high]
Cases: 3000 produced [LTD]
Aged: 12 mo [time in barrel]
Yeast: British Ale [house]
Color: 167SRM [midnight black]
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Parabola Alström Bros

4.3/5  rDev -6.7%

2011 Vintage

A: Pitch black, very little head..marked consistency

S: Vanilla, bourbon, roasty, chocolate

T: Taste change distinctly throughout the tasting. I got a sweetness with vanilla and coffee to start with little to no alcohol then after warming I got more of the barrel and alcohol. It kept a great balance throughout

M: Thick body - really great

O: I think the mouthfeel and the balance set this one apart for me...definitely worth the $15-$17 price tag.

4.62/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2012 Vintage bomber poured into a snifter. Allowed to sit at room temperature from the fridge for about twenty minutes before serving.

A- Pours pitch black with about a half finger's worth of a khaki colored head that quickly fades. Lots of sticky lacing along the sides of the glass.

S- Lots going on in the smell. I get notes of coffee, chocolate, vanilla and maybe some dark fruits. The presence of alcohol is also on the backend of the smell.

T- Tastes much like the smell. Up front I seem to get some vanilla and coffee notes more than anything. The woody-oak flavor is apparent from the barrels. This drinks rather hot in my opinion. Not a bad thing, as I taste some bourbon-type notes in there which I like.

M- Heavy, little to no carbonation. Drinks hotter as the beer warms. Real nice sipper or dessert beer.

This is my first time I've had the pleasure of getting my hands on Parabola. I was able to snag 2 bottles. The other bottle will sit in my basement for a year to see how this one does with some age. While many people say this one doesn't feel like 12.5% ABV, I think it does (which is fine with me.) Overall this was a a great beer and I'm glad I got to try it finally.

4.4/5  rDev -4.6%

Bottle from Rutager, 650ml into a tulip. Bottled March 14, 2012. Killer!

Black body, with a bubbly light brown head. Mild retention. Nose of oak, whiskey, chocolate and molasses. Sweet and completely balanced. Taste has more oak, vanilla, whiskey, lightly roasted malts, sweet molasses and chocolate. Quite thick in feel, no alcohol and super smooth. Not super complex, but an extremely well crafted BA'd stout.

4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

Parabola from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.