Parabola - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Wants: 2,912
Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  14.00% ABV

Beer added by: largadeer on 03-26-2008

Russian Imperial Oatmeal Stout aged for 8 months in circa 1990's Heaven Hill bourbon barrels.

OG: 29.5p [plato]
IBU: 82 [high]
Cases: 3000 produced [LTD]
Aged: 12 mo [time in barrel]
Yeast: British Ale [house]
Color: 167SRM [midnight black]
Reviews: 1,086 | Hads: 5,708
4.12/5  rDev -9.3%

Reviewed from my tasting notes of a decent sized sample I consumed at an epic tasting event held with the members of the SMBDC.

Dark brown liquid is capped with a slight skim of tiny brown bubbles. Cocoa and bourbon make up the very appealing aroma. The beer tastes chocolately, with a strong bourbon finish. Although the flavors are there, the alcohol is well-hidden. There isn't burning or a warmth to the swallow. Medium body and low carbonation. Lots of coating. The flavors stay with you a while, so you don't feel the need to grab another sip as soon as you put the glass down. A note on the bottle recommends you share, and I agree, but I would want a large pour. This is a good beer!

4.75/5  rDev +4.6%

Another blind beer sent to me by AleWatcher. It calls for a snifter and it says be careful not to look at the cap when opening. Its got a very unique foil on the top, much like bottle of wine. This is making me think Firestone Walker...

A- Super black and thick looking. Not much of a head, it really takes a heavy pour. The head is wet sand colored and short lived. This is about as thick and black looking as any beer can get.

S- Imperial stout for sure, and a BIG one at that. Lots of alcohol, licorice, dark berries like currants, super rich and bitter black chocolate, port wine and some oak. Its hot 'n heavy.

T- Oh man, oh man, oh man. This is getting a 5 for taste. So complex but its not all over the place at all. It has an agenda. Loads of dark chocolate right off the rip. It then moves into a rich black currant and vinous place. Then there is molasses, brown sugar and more cocoa. A little bit of licorice and a lot of alcohol bring things to a close.

M- I would say this beer is right around the 12-13% range. Its warm, sometimes hot, but never offensive. The body is so thick and full, carbonation is low. This makes for an unstoppable creaminess. With a body like this the ABV could be 25% and it would still drink smoothly.

D- Drinkable? Uh yeah, Ive savored this for the past hour and I want more.

FIRESTONE WALKER PARABOLA!!! I feel bad now. What did I do to deserve this? This beer was on my most wanted list in my profile. I was thinking about trading off my Jackie O's bottles for one. HUGE thanks to Jeff.

4.38/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Yes, this beer is right up my alley. It was good also that I drank it on a colder night, so it was just the right beer to warm me up.

The appearance is, 'dark as night'. It pours with a fluffy brown head that is small and leaves fast. What a dark menacing beer I had in my glass.

The smell is of roasted grain, lots of chocolate and Tootsie Rolls, some caramel and toffee. Awesome.

The taste is awesome, and I picked up something that I didn't find in other reviews. I picked up loads of chocolate and espresso, toffee and caramel and some. . . spruce? I picked up a somewhat earthy spruce or light mint flavor that was awesome. It reminded me of a chocolate covered peppermint candy, a great treat.

The mouthfeel was silky smooth and lightly carbonated. It was such a deep, dark, thick, and drinkable brew that I wish it was more available. Delicious beer.

4.7/5  rDev +3.5%

Black, thin layer foam with plenty of light carbonation and a ring of foam throughout. No lacing.

Coconut, bourbon, and coffee notes with chocolate in there too.
Sweet malt. Not an overpowering or exceptional nose but very good.

Bourbon, slightly sweet, roasty, coffee, chocolate, and coconut all harmoniously blended. Nothing dominates. Fairly strong bitterness that's noticeable on the long finish.

Nice fairly thick mouthfeel with a good level of carbonation.
Immensely drinkable. Not hot whatsoever. A very good beer. Shared with three great friends. Glad to have more of this to drink in the future.
Highly recommended. Thanks to whitebricke and wavers1 for the bottles!

4.47/5  rDev -1.5%

Thanks to kbutler1 for sharing this.

Poured into ccb snifter

Pours a light layer of brown head. Color is an oil black.

Aroma: Oak, vanilla, whiskey, coffee, chocolate, and light cherry flavors.

Taste: I get more of a bourbon flavor here instead of the whiskey I picked up in the nose. Dark chocolate, very sweet. Roasted malts, oak, vanilla, cherries, raisins, and coffee. Just a tad boozy.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy. Full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends warm and a bit dry, but clean.

Overall, a very nice imp stout. Good -bal aging notes. Good flavors and the drinkability is nice on this one. Solid stuff.

4.79/5  rDev +5.5%

A: Dark brown, orange hue around the edges, no carbonation or lacing.

A: Toffee, caramel, light brandy booze aromas, sawdust - wood, slight salty umami aroma / soy. No hop aromatics.

F: Dark toffee (Imagine dark sees candy suckers), roasted malt, tobacco, light soy.

M: Very viscous / thick on the palate, medium-heavy bodied, low carbonation, no alcohol warmth, drinks silky smooth.

O: Very well brewed and enjoyed very much (Thanks EvilTwinCP). The only thing I would have liked more is a little more carbonation. Although I see a growing trend among the Imperial Stout beers to not have carbonation. This is what I like to call another good example of a fine gentleman's sipping beer. Would pair great with a cigar.

3.9/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to Michael for hooking this bottle up. Consumed out of my Sierra Nevada 30th Anniv. Tulip.

A- Very dark with a frothy coffee colored head. Good head retention, no lacing. The beer is pretty much solid black, with some hints of red at the edges.

S- Smells of creamy bourbon, with oak notes. Definetely not as strong as most bourbon aged beers, but noticeble. I notice a good hop smell as well, but nothing crazy

T- Starts very creamy, then opens up to flavors of chocolate/coffee/caramel/bourbon and oak. I like big bourbon beers, and thats where this one fell a little short. It just didn't stack up to some others.

M- Nice, and a very good blending of flavors. I wish it was a little thicker, as it is 13%. Good, but no BCS

D- All around pretty darn good. A little tangy, and some overly lingering hop aftertaste at times. Quite light for a bourbon barrel beer at 13%

I might have hyped this one up a bit in my head, thinking it could best KBS/BCS and some of my other favorites. I'll age a couple bottles, and see what I think down the road.

4.42/5  rDev -2.6%

Bottle. Pours a pitch black color with a brown highlights and a tan 1 finger head. Poured into my Surly Darkness glass. Have heard how good this beer is and really am trying to not be dissappointed if it doesn't reach the level of goodness I have heard so much about. Coffee, bourbon, and cream type notes in the aroma. This is a very complex beer with lots of aromas and tastes. I taste dark chocolate, coffee, bourbon, and some hop bitterness. I would say this is a very balanced and complete Imperial Stout well worth the praises I have heard. Medium/heavy mouthfeel. Very rich and good. It doesn't really get much better than this.

4.08/5  rDev -10.1%

Had a taste out of a bottle poured into a glass.
a-Black with a thin layer of chocolate looking head.
s-Smells very boozy with a sweet smells of malt and a little chocolate.
t-Yet again very boozy, with a chocolate sweetness and possibly a slight hint of coffee towards the end. A pleasant balance of flavors that tastes powerful.
m/d-Very full syrupy flavor that clings to the mouth and leaves you feeling like you need a drink of water. It goes down smooth for something this strong, but is certainly a slow drinker.

4.25/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours midnight black with a dark brown head. The aroma is molasses sweet with a hefty hint of booziness. The taste is fantastic with the booziness providing a sightly harsh overtone to the coffee and sweet malty taste. The mouthfeel is noticably thick, which makes sense given the borderline ridiculous alcohol content. All in all its a fantastic beer in the vein of dark lord or the other tremendous big body american stouts.

3.85/5  rDev -15.2%

A - Pours jet black with 0 head. If you've ever poured motor oil into an engine you can get a good idea of what this is like.

S - Dried fruit, some malty sweetness, chocolate and a good amount of alcohol.

T - Boozy, harsh and really could use a couple years age. The malt is quite forward and slight chocolate notes, but this beer actually has an alcoholic burn to it.

M/D - Mouthfeel is very thick and harsh, it coats the tongue and cheeks and leaves a bit of burn. This is as drinkable as most extreme imperial stouts (Dark Lord, DORIS the Destroyer, etc) but could be an amazing beer with some time.

4.03/5  rDev -11.2%

Pours almost black with a small dark caramel colored head, good retention. Very pretty beer.

Smell is chocolate and coffee, and a few other lovely flavors I can't quite place.

Yummy! The chocolate tastes very high quality; rich and full. The coffee flavors aren't as pronounced as in the smell, which I like. The flavors resulting from the barrel conditioning are very subtle to me, but work very well to offset the sumptuous chocolate. Tastes slightly complex as I try to pick out the flavors. Well balanced and refined.

Mouthfeel is incredible, one of the smoothest beers I've had. A strong and dense texture which works exceptionally for this beer.

This is a good sipping beer. The 13% surprised me.

4.62/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured into a snifter. Big thanks to piclee for this.

4.0 A: I had to make an aggressive pour to coax one finger of creamy light brown head. Average retention and not really any lacing.

4.5 S: Aroma is just what I like from a -bal brew. The stout shines while the bourbon takes a complementary role. A decent amount of semisweet chocolate in this one. Indeed, the sweet character outweighs the roasty but not by a whole lot. Roasted barley makes an appearance next with a touch, and only a touch, of coffee. Finally, the bourbon comes in completing the very nice nose. As it warms, the bourbon comes through stronger.

4.5 T: Taste is just as good as the nose. Sweet chocolate stands out first, with roastiness next, and bourbon on the finish. There a bit of fruitiness in the taste that wasn't in the nose: plum and raisin. Alcohol is apparent, but at an acceptable rate given 13%. It's really hard to figure out how complex this is. The chocolate, roasted barley, and bourbon dominate, but it seems like there is more beneath. Bourbon, booziness, and a roasty bitterness lingers on aftertaste.

5.0 M: Thick, syruppy body. Good moderate carbonation. This is how I like my imperial stouts. Rich and creamy or bust. Relatively smooth with a warming finish.

5.0 D: Excellent brew. Great aroma, great taste, awesome mouthfeel, but the alcohol is a bit of an ass kicker and moreso than comparable brews (BCBCS, for example). Still, solid brew overall. I'm glad I have another one. I think some age will do wonders with this one.

Edit: This gets much better as it warms up. Drinkability score adjusted.

4.32/5  rDev -4.8%

Thanks to Jdefont for busting this out at our tasting! From notes:

Pours pitch black with minimal tan bead. Smells are little chocolate, booze, powered cocoa. Tastes are coffe, booze and a slight chocolate finish. There's some others in there as well, possibly some dark fruits and maybe hints of tobacco. Drinkability, as with other beers in this style are extremely subjective, and I know my group could have had one more bottle.

4.57/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours 'Midnight Black' with better than a full finger loose frothy dark brown head. The collar fades quickly with spotty patterns of lacing in its wake. The aroma is moderately intense; boozy bourbon, nicely roasted malt, choco-molasses and fig. The mouth feel is very nice. Creamy smooth, lightly carbonated. Slightly less coating character than my favorite examples of this style..the mouth feel is medium bodied. A wonderful after experience ...lingers nicely. One heck of a drinker!! The 13% ABV is out in the open; no apologies. Highly recommended. I got this one from Geoui. Cheers JJ

4.3/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees
Thanks to a generous trader for this sweet hook-up!

This one pours up black, which is more than I'd hoped for, actually. Starting out well. An easy pour produces a head of two-fingers worth of almost dark-brown colored foam. The retention is very good and the lacing is in large spots, which are fairly sticky.

There is alot going on in this nose. Big presence of dark malts, along with a good amount of roastiness. Hints of leather and tobacco, along with some mild notes of dark fruits. A nice hint of dark roasted coffee. Light traces of oak and vanilla.
Complex and completely enticing.

Very roasted malts forward. The barrel presence is more of an afterthought, actually. This one follows the nose, for the most part. Just a whole lot more focus on the malts here. A light hint of dark chocolates works its way in. More than just a hint of smoke.

Here's the strongest part of this beer. It is full-bodied and has a light-to-medium level of carbonation. It is very smooth and has a nice amount of creaminess, which is wonderful to have. Especially for this style. It helps it come off as damn-near thick.

Flavor-wise, this one is very tasty and nicely drinkable. That 13.00%abv though, does manage to make itself known, mostly in a touch of warmth, on the back-end. Overall, it is nicely drinkable, though.

4.52/5  rDev -0.4%

A big thanks to wolffman17 for sharing this with me and several other BA's.

A: Pours opaque black. No light gets through at all. A small tan head forms, but recedes in a minute. Light lace. Head and lacing are to be expected for the ABV, but this looks menacing.
S: An excellent aroma of toasted malt, sweet toffee, dark chocolate. Light vanilla and oak. Light dark fruits of figs, plums, and raisins. Very soft, but nuanced.
T: A great toasted malt flavor. Big dark chocolate, vanilla, and slightly woody flavors. Soft doughy and brownie like. Light dark fruits that follow the nose. Just excellent.
M/D: A full body that is low on the carbonation. Though not under carbonated at all. Soft, creamy, smooth, and velvety. So easy and smooth to drink. The alcohol is almost non existent.

For such a huge beer, this is incredibly nuanced and subtle. I can't get enough of this. All around excellent, and highly recommend.

4.59/5  rDev +1.1%

A - Good looking Imperial Stout. Opaque, jet black hue with a small, light brown head of fluffy foam. Nice retention and minimal lacing.

S - Lots of dried dark fruits like raisin, plum and maybe some figs. Also, chocolate, roasted malt and bourbon notes.

T - Delicious beer. So much balance in a huge beer. Bourbon, raisin, rich dark chocolate, toffee, vanilla. Fantastic.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth with a dry finish. A medium to full bodied beer with a potent alcohol warmth.

D - Again, a fantastic tasting brew. I wish I could get my hands on some more.

4.23/5  rDev -6.8%

Just purchased a bottle of Firestone's Parabola. Never was excited about the beer until my friend recommended it to me telling me it challenged the Abyss. What a claim, we'll see how well it does...

Appearance - Pours a deep endless black with a beautiful reddish brown, caramel colored head with not the best retention and light lacing.

Smell - Immediately I can tell this beer is going to be complex. I don't know where to begin. Levels, of tartiness, Manhattan?! I smell one of my favorite cocktails - bourbon, cherry, bitters? Interesting... coffee, deep roasty maltiness, floral?!, light hop presence?

Taste - Holy Shit! There's an amazing whitewash of tastes in the beginning - alcohol, tart, cherry, that slowly fades into the malt - deep roasty coffee, toffee, caramel, vanilla, oak...

The beer is extremely alcoholic but for the 13 percent it is relatively smooth. Pretty sweet from what I expected as well.

Overall - This beer far surpassed my expectations. Amazingly well done with perhaps just a little too much of a bite (so age it to perfection!). Delicious but from memory I must say I don't think it tops the Abyss. But hey you two, that I know will eventually read this - lets try it out. Simultaneous tasting - Abyss vs Parabola August 2010 !!!

4.85/5  rDev +6.8%

Parabola is a delicious treat that surpassed my extremely high expectations. Pour is black as can be. Smell is a chocolate toffee combo with a slight alchohol hint. Taste is amazingingly decadent, thick and satisfying. I am shocked that this beer lives up to all the hype. I went in skeptical of all the hype, but was very surpised at my result. Can not recommend this any higher, it is near the top of the stout list.

4.7/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle shared by Jay - thanks!

Pours black with a one-finger brown head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of robust roasted malt with good amounts of dark chocolate and tobacco aromas. Also present are light amounts of vanilla.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Smooth roasted malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by well-integrated dark chocolate and vanilla flavors. Hints of bourbon hit midway through the sip along with mild amounts of tobacco. Near the end of the sip slight amounts of coffee flavors make a brief appearance before fading into a moderately bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a nice thickness with soft carbonation.

Drinkability is also very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have another.

Overall this was simply a phenomenal beer. Nothing was out of place and everything worked exceptionally well together. Well worth a shot.

4.85/5  rDev +6.8%

Drum-roll, please....
...REVIEW 1000!

Thanks to weibull for the trade. 22oz black-foil bomber into an unmarked snifter.

Bubbly, inky-black body with a thin rim of mahogany at the edges. The mocha head fizzles quickly, as expected for the 13% ABV, but surprisingly maintains a ring of bubbles at the edges of the glass. Heavenly aroma, rife with dark fruits such as plum, black cherry, and currant. Roasted chocolate malts, vanilla bean from the bourbon, and cookie dough add a superb malt profile that mingles with a fruity, boozy tinge of chocolate liqueur.

Oh wow, this stuff is good.

Palate is hit instantly with a sharp, carbonated, and semi-boozy bourbon note that suggests dark bread, vanilla, and cocoa. Mid-sip is when the magic of Parabola takes effect, laying down layer upon layer of decadent Baker's chocolate, oak tannins, fig & plum fruitiness, and earthen hops. The alcohol provides warmth to the palate, but never becomes too hot or solvent-like. Mouthfeel is a velvety, viscous treat. Perfect carbonation and consistency that never gets heavy or taxing to the tongue. All in all, a flat-out fantastic brew. Glad I chose this one as review Numero 1K, it was well worth it. For me, Parabola is easily in the top tier of Imperial Stouts, and, for that matter, any beer in general.

4.49/5  rDev -1.1%

Thanks to ridglens for sharing this one a few days ago. I've been excited to give this one a shot for a while now!

A strong pour into my Dogfish Head snifter produces a mocha head that reduces quickly to a thin cap. The beer itself is damn near black. Ruby highlights around the edges, but you definitely have to put some work to notice that this thing isn't 100% opaque. Spotty lace is left inside my glass.

The smell of Parabola is all over the place. Whiskey and vanilla are the first two that jump out at me...and they are obvious! However, there is a ton of other stuff going on in there as well. Roasty malts, chocolate, caramel. Lots of sweet to balance out the bourbon kick. Very roasty with a tiny bit of coffee to round things off. Although the bourbon is obvious, the alcohol from the beer itself is not noticeable.

Very sweet beginning. With a smooth transition into the chocolate roasty whiskey. Not nearly as roasty as the nose, but still an outstanding combination of malts and chocolate goodness (which is a nice combination of both dark chocolate and sweet chocolate). A nice dark cherry taste, that I haven't picked up on the nose, is obviously present as well. The coffee that finishes the smell also runs caboose on the taste. I'm quite impressed. Parabola is creamy and silky - and thick. There is a bit of alcohol burn at the end that is a bit detracting, but come on, this beer is 13%...

This is a fantastic stout. It's a damn shame it is a bit difficult to procure, but I'll see if I can snag a couple more before they become impossible. I'm a huge fan of the big stouts and this one ranks right up there with some of the finest. Glad to see they are finally bottling it!

Consumed: 7/21/2010

4.19/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I think my expectation of this beer was too high. I expected an Abyss or Hunahpu caliber stout. Parabola is excellent, but lacks in some categories.

The appearance had a good, deep color. But the was not much of a crown of glory and left little lacing. The smell and taste paralleled near perfection with bold aromas/flavors of cocoa nibbs, oak, bourbon, coffee or espresso, and some alcohol. Really, this is a great stout by what matters to me the most: taste and smell. The feel was good. It wasn't frothy, but oily. Some may prefer the oily feel in a stout. An oily feel is just not my preference, but it was still good. I opened this one for mine and my girlfriends anniversary and I could not finish it. I was too full. It is a heavy beer and would be best split over a meal or partially consumed before the meal. I was really disappointed to waste about 1 3rd of such a landmark beer.

4.14/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured into tulip. Not much head forms, lacing is very thin to none. The body is pitch black. Smell is mostly chocolate and a hint of sweetness; enjoyable but not the most complex. The taste is slightly sweet, but nowhere near cloying. Vanilla and maple flavors dominate. This goes down smooth; the alcohol is very hidden. Mouthfeel is decent and this is relatively drinkable for the style. It's not too thick but still has the viscosity RIS should have. Love it.

Parabola from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.