Parabola - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

ParabolaParabola

Wants: 2,795
Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  14.00% ABV

Beer added by: largadeer on 03-26-2008

Russian Imperial Oatmeal Stout aged for 8 months in circa 1990's Heaven Hill bourbon barrels.

2011
Yeast: British Ale [house]
Color: 167SRM [midnight black]
Reviews: 1,063 | Hads: 5,539
4.19/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I think my expectation of this beer was too high. I expected an Abyss or Hunahpu caliber stout. Parabola is excellent, but lacks in some categories.

The appearance had a good, deep color. But the was not much of a crown of glory and left little lacing. The smell and taste paralleled near perfection with bold aromas/flavors of cocoa nibbs, oak, bourbon, coffee or espresso, and some alcohol. Really, this is a great stout by what matters to me the most: taste and smell. The feel was good. It wasn't frothy, but oily. Some may prefer the oily feel in a stout. An oily feel is just not my preference, but it was still good. I opened this one for mine and my girlfriends anniversary and I could not finish it. I was too full. It is a heavy beer and would be best split over a meal or partially consumed before the meal. I was really disappointed to waste about 1 3rd of such a landmark beer. (891 characters)

4.14/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured into tulip. Not much head forms, lacing is very thin to none. The body is pitch black. Smell is mostly chocolate and a hint of sweetness; enjoyable but not the most complex. The taste is slightly sweet, but nowhere near cloying. Vanilla and maple flavors dominate. This goes down smooth; the alcohol is very hidden. Mouthfeel is decent and this is relatively drinkable for the style. It's not too thick but still has the viscosity RIS should have. Love it. (463 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -6.9%

Time for another barrel aged beer. Thanks Andy for letting me drink all your beers lately. Poured this into a White Birch goblet. Big black body on this with a nice tan head. Good sticky lacing all around. I initially smell the barrel aging with dark fruits. Roasted malts and rich chocolate linger in the background. The barrel aging smells really good on this. Not overpowering, but the presence is known. The taste is really nice. Maple and bitter cocoa really dominate the pallet. This finish very nicely and lingers on the tounge. Rich and heavy and I'm digging it. The silky mouthfeel is partnered wonderfully with subtle carbonation. Great drinkability for a 13% barrel aged beer. The alcohol is hidden very well. (720 characters)

4.33/5  rDev -4%

This is my first review on here and this is a beer I've been wanting to try for a long time. Seemed like the right time to start posting. I'm new at this so please forgive any shortcomings, as I am learning each day.

The beer appeared extremely dark in the glass. I couldn't see any light through it. No head or lacing at all. Looks amazing.

Not a very strong smell. Traces of coffee and chocolate. The rest of it is too subtle for me to identify. The scent is just a tease of what the beer tastes like but it smells delicious.

Chocolate and coffee immediately. Bourbon taste stood out at the back of my mouth in particular. Not overpowering but enough to kick you in the pants. I loved the taste.

Felt good to drink. Perfect amount of heat on the back end, but pretty creamy and good.

Outstanding beer. Tons of different flavors. But not overdone and a pleasure to drink. Just had one glass, but definitely was sad to down the last sip. I love Firestone and this lived up to my expectations. If it were more available I would always have some in the cellar. (1,063 characters)

4.26/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Portsmouth large snifter glass. I got a couple of these bottles from a few different BA'ers...so I don't know who to thank for this perticular one. In any case...if you sent me one...THANKS! Really looking forward to this one, since BA stouts are my favorite syle! Pours a super dark, and semi-thick black that fills the glass a murky darkness with a very, very small toffee colored creamy head that dissipates pretty quick. Not much for lacing...but who really cares!

Aroma is a slight let down...simply because it's very weak. I can pick up the chocolate, booze, and malts. Other than that, it's just so distant.

Flavor is outstanding! Thick and creamy mouthfeel, mild carbonation, big boozy flavor! Tons of chocolate all over the palate. All the big stout characteristics are present, but the barrel aging makes this so nice! The sweet flavors are not overkill, but just enough to make you keep wanting more...making this thick beer surprisingly drinkable! A great beer from Firestone Walker...can't weait to age a couple to see how it mellows and/or changes! (1,099 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +4.7%

Had this one side by side with BA Yeti during our first all grain brew day celebrations. This was the clear winner, IMO. Review from tasting notes:

Pours dark and thick, viscous, completely black in the glass but no head or lacing.

Aroma isn't overly crazy, but there's a great balance between chocolate, char, barrel, vanilla, only a touch of whiskey, which I kind of wished was more pronounced, but it's nice.

Taste is fantastic. I like how it's not incredibly sweet like most stouts this thick. Some chocolate blends well with vanilla, ample roastiness, but not astringent, dark fruit on the finish. Would kill for just a tad more bourbon.

Body is full, sticky yet dry, low carbonation. Alcohol is perfectly hidden. Delicious.

Easy drinking, lovely beer. Love that it's not a sugar bomb! (799 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured into a portsmouth snifter, shared with my beer sensei. big thanks to Chazmo for this amazing extra!!

A- beautiful, super dark with no light coming through the edges. pours a thin dark brown layer of head that goes to a thick ring in about ten minutes.

S- Holy roasted everything batman! roasted wood, coffee, and a little chocolate. a little bourbon and vanilla at first (fridge temp). as it warms to proper temp, bourbon blooms, and sweet vanilla comes out more. caramel makes an appearance to. great friggin' smell!

T-really good... a cascade of like ten flavors all within about 4 seconds, then bourbon washes them all to aftertastes... freekin great! most prevelent are a smokey caramel (not over-sweet though!), with oak and vanilla hints as well! bourbon hits at the end and sticks around long after the swallow. Just a little hot (a good thing)...super compex without a sweet overload!

M- Great thickness, creamy and silky, dig this one out of your teeth 2o minutes later!

D- damn smooth and never harsh (1,022 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -6.2%

Thanks to solomon420 for sending this out!

Poured into a Portsmouth tulip glass. Parabola produces a large, foamy, tan head that sits on top of an opaque, black, body. The head reduces a bit, but maintains fairly well. Patchy lacing left behind. Pretty good for a 13% stout.

Thick, sweet, roasty malts with a large wave of grassy, bitter hops attack the nose. Barrels come out nicely with a bit of alcohol heat. Traces of vanilla and a touch of bourbon.

Bitter dark malts and hops mix with smooth, almost creamy, chocolate and barrel notes. Faint coffee flavor lingers in the background alongside vanilla and a bit of alcohol. A very well balanced imperial stout with many subtle nuances.

Mouthfeel is smooth with light carbonation. Almost creamy at first, but finishes quite dry. A decent amount of bitterness with the 80 IBU, but the mouthfeel could change a bit with some age as the hops fade out. Would like to see this a bit thicker, but still pretty good. Warming alcohol on the finish.

Drinkability is pretty good. This is a big beer and definitely a sipper. Splitting a bomber with 1-2 other people is about perfect. The alcohol is noticeable on the finish, but it makes for a great stout to warm you up when it's cold out.

Overall, I'm really happy I got a chance to try this beer and I'm looking forward to seeing how the other two age in my cellar. I feel like this beer would benefit from a 2-3% knock in the ABV and a slightly thicker body, but it's quite good as it is. Firestone Walker always does a good job with their blending and this beer is no exception. Definitely worth seeking out. (1,610 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +5.3%

I was trying not to buy into the hype when my buddy decided we would taste one of these together, but here is what i thought:

Had a nice, thin head, not like many other stouts that have a frothy thick head on pour.

The smell was delicious, great aromas of chocolate and bourbon were there, as well as a few other things I can't quite place. (maybe vanilla, something from the barrels)

The taste of the beer is really good, it started with a smoky start and has a slight chocolate taste, and borubony flavors at the end. This beer kept changing as I drank it over time, and it had a ton of different flavors I couldn't place exactly. The vanilla? seemed to come through as i drank more and more at the beginning of the drinks.

This was a very drinkable stout, easy to put down, and didn't feel super heavy. I'm not sure how I feel about it being so thin as opposed to other stouts, but this beer was very smooth and tasty. (926 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +0.2%

PIB 7.17.2010, bottled version, late arrival at the festival.

Minimal head and dissipation, resulting in a very thin layer of head around the edge of the glass. Dark dark brown body no visible carbonation due to hue. The nose is pretty winy due to barrel aging with a lot of bittersweet chocolate aromas. Taste is huge hit of chocolate upfront, with oaky and winy notes, and significant hop bitterness on back end but kept in balance by significant malt bill, caramel, and the pervasive chocolate with a wee bit of coffee present. Mouthfeel is medium full, just a bit sticky, and a surprisingly dry finish given the chocolate notes. Pretty boozy effects drinkability, a sipper to be sure, this could certainly benefit from some cellaring. This is one very tasty beer, worthy of the buzz it has generated, wish I'd had grabbed a bottle at By the Bottle in Vancouver WA, as I am sure this is harder than hell to come by now. (924 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -15.3%

Parabola poured out pitch black with a very small mocha head. I was surprised not to find that this beer had some oxidized/cardboard aroma that I find in their anniversary beers. Lots of sweet roasted malt and a light soy sauce aroma lifts out of the beer. It tries really hard to hide the alcohol in the beer. Very well rounded at this point.

Flavor is deeply roasted malt, sweet, and some hoppy bitterness. Mouthfeel is nearly the same as the anniversary beers. For a stout, this is considered watery. It feels more like a porter which I find to be the major fault in the beer. Other wise this is an extremely well balanced and flavorful stout. The barrel aging does not seem to take a huge role in this though. I'd be interested to so if this could stand on it's own without the barrel aging. (796 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

GREAT looking beer. black with a coffee colored head. I really like how the top of the head is alot larger more robust bubbles then the finely packed main part of the head. Just looks super oily on the pour, and i made sure to center pour quite a bit of this, and it turned out looking fantastic.

Aroma is fantastic too. an absolute perfect amount of roasted qualities mixed with bourbon and barrel effects. So inviting.

I've had this once before at a tasting, and it was my highlight then, and still amazes me now, i just can not believe how complex this beer is! Vanilla and smooth creamy chocolate, just melted together with caramel provide such a rich sweetness, and to brash things up a bit and provide the balance is roasted malt,and some alcohol heat, and seemingly even seperate from the heat is the bourbon. This barrel aging and heat do great things to this beer, this beer has some of the best use of barrels i've ever tasted, nothing is huge but everything is easy noticable, this is how its done.

pretty thick feel i love the viscosity its perfect, and the light carbination is just how i like them to be, slight popping accent but not overdone.

This bomber is alone, and i am enjoying every bit of it. yea its got some heat, but its so great for 13%. (1,268 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +3.5%

A: Pours a deep, viscous black, capped by a frothy two finger mocha colored head. Retention is good as the head settles down to one finger of tight carbonation and dissipates slowly from there, leaving scant lacing down the glass.

S: The most evident aromas up front are caramel, roasted malts, dark chocolate and vanilla, but none of these overpower each other, nor any the supporting smells. Moderate bourbon notes, light oak - including somewhat of a burnt wood character - some coffee, and faint notes of tobacco and leather. Amazingly complex and well integrated.

T: Starts out with caramel, dark chocolate and vanilla before moving into bourbon, light oak and light tobacco on the mid-palate. Moderate coffee and roasted malts come up and add some bitter notes before receding, revealing some dark fruits - cherries and perhaps a touch of plum. Finish maintains some of the dark fruits and brings back dark chocolate and vanilla.

M: Full bodied with low to moderate carbonation...it occupies the perfect spot between creamy and chewy, smooth and viscous.

D: The alcohol is kept firmly in check, manifesting itself only in the bourbon notes...dangerously drinkable for such a big beer. (1,194 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap last night at The Library in Santa Monica.

Appearance - Comes in a 10oz sniffer. Arrives with about a finger of dark, mocha colored head that slowly dissipates. The beer itself is opaque, with literally no light showing through, even around the edges. As the beer begins to disappear, great looking lacing is left on the sides of the glass.

Smell - Wow, this smells amazing. Dark roasted malts, heavy on the dark chocolate, slight vanilla. I believe there is a hint of brown sugar and bourbon with slight burnt wood. This beer smells freaking amazing.

Taste - Wow again. Massive amounts of roasted (thought not overly bitter) malts up front. The dark chocolate is immediately made known and the other flavors just begin to make themselves known. Dark fruits such as sweet cherries and plums, vanilla, oak, and bourbon. This beer tastes just utterly amazing. Having had the Abyss on tap I was expecting it to be a bit muddled with picking the flavors out being so "fresh", however, this is not an issue whatsoever with this beer.

Mouthfeel - Great, thick viscosity. Lower carbonation, and finishes with a slight alcohol warming of the throat.

Drinkability - A sipper as it should be. However, let me preface that by stating at such an early and fresh age for this beer, it is more drinkable than BCS and the Abyss at the same age. I was very impressed at how this beer turned out and I wish I could have had a second glass. Good thing I have two in my cellar. Highly recommended. (1,496 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Chris sent me a couple of these. Thanks, dogg!

Pouring jet black, this beer glugs from the bottle with an oily consistency. A dense, dark brown head, iridescent and long-lived is present, leaving little lace. The nose is just excellent. Right off the bat, I get decadent chocolate brownies, but as it breathes, the malt complexity really shines. Molasses , roast, grainy bitterness are all present, along with a little licorice. The barrel character is delicious. Toasted coconut, bourbon, vanilla are present in wonderful harmony, working well with the base stout. Sweetness is discernible with some caramel and toffee, but there's a mild charred malt bitterness to balance it out.

My oh my! What a wonderful beverage! The dark chocolate and coffee fudge character again open up the palate with the bourbon, coconut and vanilla following. Caramel sweetness, a little toffee and molasses are also present. Alcohol is wonderfully hidden, I would not guess this was 13%. However, the light spiciness that the alcohol brings pairs very well with the heavily caramelized sugars, reminding me in some ways of pumpernickel bread. The finish is long lasting, with a blend of dark chocolate, bourbon and coconut. Very, very well-balanced, this is truly wonderful stuff. Maybe some dark fruit too? The mouthfeel is incredible, with a big body that never gets tiring, moderate carbonation which, surprisingly, works. A decadent finish, I do get a little char as well. Exceptional stuff, this is going to be a fun two hours with this beer. And two hours later, I could still go fore more of this. Wonderful stuff.

In some ways, it reminds me of the FiftyFifty Imperial Eclipse Stout that was aged in Elijah Craig barrels. Paired with rum and amaretto truffles from RMCF, this is truly wondrous. The nuttiness of the amaretto works harmoniously with the coconut character from the barrel, making this one of the better pairings I've conceived.

**Edit 28 Nov 2011**
I'm drinking my last batch of batch 2. The only other time I drank this batch was earlier this summer on a very drunken night.
At cellar temperature, I'm astounded by how hoppy this beer is. There's a lot of English hop character here, with a fairly high bitterness and leafy character noticeable. In addition, this batch has a lot more licorice character than I remember the first batch having, with a mild anise-like spiciness. Dark honey, a moderate bourbon character with vanilla and toasted coconut. The stout base is pretty nice too, with unsweetened baker's chocolate, molasses and licorice. The palate has all of the flavors the nose would suggest in a nice balance. Hoppy bitterness is strong on the finish, melding with the coconut and vanilla as well as some grainy bitterness. Moderately sweet as well, this has some dark caramel and candy sweetness on the mid-palate. A little less fudge-like and with more licorice and anise than I remember the first bottled batch having, this is an excellent stout. I want to drop my scores a hair, but I can't find a fair way of doing that, so my scores will stand for now. (3,081 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle shared at a recent small tasting. Split between three people. Beer served in a snifter. Beer is dark black and forms a one fingered head of small brown bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass. Nice.

Aroma is bourbony and nice. Its a little hot in the nose, much hotter in the nose than in the mouth.

This is close to the perfect tasting beer. Its creamy and smooth, mildly sweet up front, not hot in the mouth. A subtle and well balanced liquor flavors, nice bourbon character. Its mildly dry but not harsh or acrid. Good roast in the back, some almost coffee like flavors. Very wonderful beer. I would drink this again if given the opportunity. (659 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -6.4%

13% ? Yah you can certainly feel the heat in the after taste of this little gem. But the sweet port like upfront taste is a good balance to the Alc.
When I received this glass last night I noticed the very light cream colored head floating on an over powering DARK brown with highlights of black.
The nose was pleasant notes of coffee grounds, burbon, chocolate, and a subtle oak lingering.
Along with the smells I tasted each of those in this beer, along with a sweetness of port, which I think better described as Burbon in cherrywood casks.
I was preparing my mouth for a more viscous beer from the color, but it was a little lighter in texture, but it made up for that in the Alc. Then having a lasting finish of an irish coffee made from sweet american burbon, without the cream.
Quite a drinkable beer, but make it an after dinner sipper, or pair with bacon pancakes for a sunday brunch to get your day started.
Another yummy beer from the Firestone Walker. (969 characters)

4.28/5  rDev -5.1%

My wife picked this up for me a while ago.

Appearance- black color, thin head

Smell- chocolate, roasted malt, bourbon

Taste- strong flavor of bourbon, vanilla,oak, bitter aftertaste,, very interesting

Mouthfeel- full bodied

Drinkability- really good, I would like to get another one to share with my friend who is into stouts. (331 characters)

Review #700

7/2/2010

Pours forth from the bottle with a viscosity so great that a rheologist would marvel at it. It appears ebony, with a huge light brown head, excellent retention, and scattered lacing.

The nose exhibits a great blend of caramel, roasted malt, and chocolate. The roast is of a moderate strength, and a dash of coffee is evident. There's a nice level of booze heat and a well integrated bourbon character. Do I detect cream? A wonderfully complex and balanced nose.

The taste is earthy bitterness up front with big chocolate and caramel notes, accompanied by a moderate roast and a light astringency. Again, bourbon is well integrated, and quite delicious. The beer finishes with a moderate bitterness, a touch of astringency, and just the right amount of booze heat, with a lingering bourbon-chocolate-caramel character.

The mouthfeel is incredible...full, creamy yet viscous, and sticky, with a lower moderate level of carbonation.

All around, this is an exceptional barrel aged RIS at a reasonable price for the style. (1,044 characters)

4.4/5  rDev -2.4%

Yet another great bottle provided by Sugit - thanks! Shared this (at least a little) with the wife on a lazy 4th of July.

A - Very little head on a vigorous pour - what little there is was a deep brown that faded quickly. Dark, but appears water with no lacing.

S - Not a lot of anything at first, but as it warms there is plenty of bourbon here. Strong, but not harsh.

T&M - VERY mellow, and a ton of flavor. Just a small sip yields tons of flavor. Mostly that same mellow bourbon from the nose, but also plenty of well balanced sweetness and just a bit of alcohol heat. The mouthfeel is thin, with the bourbon component slicing through the thickness of the malts, and carbonation is low. This detracts for me a bit, but it does work for the style. It could be flat and still dance on the tongue with all of the flavor that is present.

D - This is very much a sipper as the flavors linger forever even in small quantities. However, the ABV is almost invisible, which is astounding.

Great beer that lives up to the hype! (1,025 characters)

4.49/5  rDev -0.4%

Big thanks to Wil for busting this out at the Ludachris summer bbq. Never thought i'd ever see a bottle of this! Review is from notes.

Pours placidly with little activity, inky black with a glassy surface. Some sticky mocha foam flecks to the edges, forming a ring with some spotty lace too. As the glass is tilted, traces of tiny carb bubbles slowly creep upwards.

Woody tobacco and mellow roasted coffee in the aroma. Just a hint of the barrel, but it's masterfully integrated.

Rich dark chocolate smudged with oak, with a well integrated taste of mellow bourbon that lingers in the end. Traces of vanilla and coconut blend easily with a mellow bitterness. Though there's little indication of heat, it's still a mellow sipper best shared. I'm most impressed with how seamlessly Parabola is put together, nice work from the team at Firestone Walker... (858 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +5.3%

Finally! Time to open one of my bottles. Pours a very dark dark obsidian black with a perfect tan/brown head. There's no light getting through this beer. The aromas from Parabola just flow up to my nostrils after opening the bottle. This smells amazing! Huge wooden(oak) scents with tons of chocolate and vanilla. When holding my nose into the glass, I get a nice amount of bourbon blended very well with chocolate, oak, and vanilla. The taste is huge on this thing! This beer is very rich and creamy with amazing complexity. I just get all sorts of flavors that make my palate very happy. The strongest flavors would be the chocolate and vanilla, followed very nearby by the wood and bourbon. I also get some great espresso notes and sweet candy sugar. Amazing taste. The mouthfeel is very rich and thick. This beer is definitely a dessert in itself. For how rich it is, I'm very surprised by the fairly high drinkability. This beer was a real treat that I think everyone should try before they die. (1,000 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -26.2%

Pours a super deep and dark black color with a small bubbly cocoa colored head. The color here is very dark, this beer looks awesome.

Smell is very woody, almost like a campfire. Looks of dark and bitter chocolate aromas as well.

Taste is unlike any other beer I have ever had, very big, rich, and woody. Lots of barrel flavors come through here with a light bourbon burn on the finish. This beer seems a little messy right now, it is very dry, it tastes like I am sucking on wood.

Big, full, and rich mouthfeel. Medium carbonation, a little hot on the finish. Very dry, something seems off.

Overall kind of a disappointing beer. I won't be seeking it out again. (668 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

When I first poured this beer, I thought it was flat. No real head and black. I tell my drinking buddy, " I hope this was worth the money"? First smell is coffee, a lot of coffee. Tastes of vanilla, bourbon and chocolate. The flavors blend to perfection. Not a question in my mind that this beer is worth the money. If anyone wants to do a trade, I am in...Because I will never see this beer in Florida. (403 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +0.2%

Ok, so I drank half a Parabola the other night and I have to say that the alcohol was well hidden for 13% abv. It was a little chalky but it was also quite well done. I will say that I think this beer does work better as a blend for their anniversary beers but it was still cool. The barrel is not as easy to notice as in the anniversary beers.

update 11/24/10

This was a little better this time, very rich and had a strong barrel/spirit flavor going on. Nice. Its probably way to much to drink a whole bomber by yourself.

update 09/07/11

2011 vintage. Fantastic smell like coconut and cake, wonderful overall. Need more.

update 09/22/12

2012 vintage. This might be the best RIS I have tasted, coconut, chocolate, rich, spirits. It's almost like a boozy German chocolate cake, wow. (787 characters)

Parabola from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.