2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Parabola - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

ParabolaParabola

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  13.00% ABV

Russian Imperial Oatmeal Stout aged for 8 months in circa 1990's Heaven Hill bourbon barrels.

2011
OG: 29.5p [plato]
IBU: 82 [high]
Cases: 3000 produced [LTD]
Aged: 12 mo [time in barrel]
Yeast: British Ale [house]
Color: 167SRM [midnight black]

(Beer added by: largadeer on 03-26-2008)
View: Beers (64) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Parabola Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,697 | Reviews: 922 | Show All Ratings:
100floods

3.65/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

REVIEW 100!

Bottle is taken from Reserve Series No. 1

Pours a jet black hue with a fizzy bronze head that fades away to a finger's worth of head and lacing. I smell vanilla and dark fruits blended in harmony, some drier, perhaps malt notes of the roasted persuasion. The first sip has a burst of warmth from the alcohol and finished with and oily aftertaste. There's a distinct whiskey flavor, too. The malt is trying to push its way through the bigger flavors and seems to work, just enough to be noticed. There;s some dark fruit flavors that give way to the roasted malt flavors. There's some vanilla sneaking around as well. Very cream mouthfeel with just enough carbonation to keep things moving. I'm trying to decide whether or not this alcohol flavor is something from the barrel or the fact that it's 13%. Knowing the barrel aged beers that I've had from the brewery in the past I'm going to guess it's from the barrel. This is a diverse beer. Definitely a good one to spend time with. I'm not sure if aging this will do any good. It's very smooth for a beer this size. I'd give this beer some time and see how the malt character changes. Perhaps without the barrel aging this might taste a little better.

12-15-2010 01:25:25 | More by 100floods
Chaney

District of Columbia

3.65/5  rDev -20.7%

I split this 2011 bomber tonight with my wife.

A: Viscious, extremely black, and with a head only a shade or two lighter than the brew itself.

S: Subdued bourbon, dark fruit, and a bit of dark chocolate to balance that out. Potent, but not too.

T: Fairly hot, chocolatey, and extremely viscious in general. This totally wasn't what I was expecting. I got a generous amount of heat on the aftertaste, but tons of chalk also.

M: Thick, but not as thick and creamy as I was hoping. Still, this was lightly carbonated and very cloying.

O: Disappointing. I'd heard lots of amazing things about this one and it kinda let me down. That's a shame, because I totally dig Firestone Walker overall.

06-13-2011 21:47:42 | More by Chaney
waltonc

Colorado

3.68/5  rDev -20%

Last evening I opened a bottle of Firestone Walker's Parabola, a barrel aged imperial stout. This is a stout near and dear to my heart, as father would often sit me on his knee and tell bedtime stories while sipping it during those cold winter nights of my childhood. Last eve, at twilight, I sipped it on the veranda while watching my grandchildren play on the south lawn; and Henrietta trussed the pheasant for our Thanksgiving meal. Unfortunately, I did not enjoy it as much as I have in years past. A strong bitter (dare I say acrid!?) coffee note crowded out many of the fine qualities I recall in Parabolas of yore - a genteel balance of English toffee, Tahitian vanilla, old money bourbon, and mother's chocolate. To be sure, Firestone Walker occasionally produces tip top Parabola of the sort that can be said to resemble premium Indonesian chronic. However, this 2010 bottle reminds me instead of Black Xantus, an innoble attempt at producing a good barrel aged stout.

With my disappointment in FW13, Black Xantus, and now Parabola, I am rethinking the high pedestal upon which I place the Firestone Walker brewery and its pedigree. I may reallocate my portfolio to reduce my dependence on Firestone Walker, but will consult with Warren first for his wise counsel.

Perhaps a return to high class basics - with a strict Van Winkle aging program - would resurrect the great FW barrel aged brews I know and love? Should Mr. Brynildson wish to put this query to the test, I would be honored to place my distillery's resources at his disposal. Would that Parabola return to her glory.

11-25-2010 17:28:46 | More by waltonc
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.7/5  rDev -19.6%

Thanks Mikesgroove for indulging me. Pours thick black with nearly black head. This is a bourbon story. Bourbon hits you in the nose and is strong, with alcohol apparent, in the taste. I am Ok with bourbon in moderation, we are not a corn distilled fan nation, but it was too much. Cocoa powder and coconut was also experienced and not integrated. This is above average body, it was finishable, I owed it to the brewers. Not as great as many other RIS I have consumed of late, it is an example of what is turned out as a big beer.

01-02-2011 00:35:56 | More by Sammy
1Adam12

Indiana

3.7/5  rDev -19.6%

2011 batch 2. Pours dark black with huge white head, brown lacing. Smells of bourbon, oak, malt, vanilla, chocolate, and a bit of cherry. Taste is mostly bourbon, followed by a sweet malt, chocolate, then comes the vanilla, and then slammed with more bourbon. Everything seems kind of meshed together though. Not layered very well. Burning in my nose from the bourbon. Mouthfeel is full bodied and creamy. Bourbon burns my cheeks. Kind of a funny finish on this. Overall, this dude is way too hot. It just tastes messy to me. It's good, but not what I was expecting at all. Very underwhelming from the reputation, and the rating, IMO. This was hard to get, and I've had better beers that are easier for me to get. I do have 2 bottles left, and I'm not touching one at all for at least a year. I'm hoping the bourbon mellows and there will be less of a mess.

07-27-2011 23:17:39 | More by 1Adam12
JustinQ

Serving type: 22 oz poured into Snifter

Appearence: Opaque black, no light can penetrate, decent head for style

Aroma: toffee, chocolate, vanilla and oak. slight alcohol and maltiness

Taste: roastiness, light oak background. alcohol aftertaste, no hops

Mouthfeel: dry, syrupy, and warming.

Overall: Great beer, Definantly a Sipper, Would buy another one but its a bit expensive. This one was a gift

05-18-2012 02:00:59 | More by JustinQ
zac16125

South Carolina

Firestone Walker Parabola
22oz bomber poured into a snifter
2012 bottle
150th BA review

A big thanks to Pelican5 for sending this one over in a trade.

A: Pours a dark cola brown with lightening on the edges and 1/2 fingers width of mocha colored head which dissipates down quickly to only an outer ring with inner whisp.  Lacing is effectively none, with only the faintest spotty patches left on the glass.

S: Dark fruit, chocolate, oak, and vanilla come out in that order.  It is also boozy with subtle bourbon notes, with aromas of black coffee and roasted malts. Could be richer.

T: Initially there is a heavier bourbon presence on the tongue, which is quite nice but unfortunately this takes a backseat to a huge bitter component and booze.  There are also notes of roasted malt and a hint of dark fruits, but again these are overwhelmed by a  bitterness consisting of hops and bitter dark chocolate.  Not bad, but too boozy and too bitter, and the booze is not a smooth bourbon booze but a harsh cheap vodka booze.  The potential is there but I don't drink beers for their potential.

M/D: I wouldn't say it's particularly thick or smooth for the style.  Over carbonated, which when combined with the bitterness, give it a biting quality. Finishes quite dry.  Drinkability is below average, mainly due to the dominating bitter quality,  plus the ABV isn't particularly well masked.

O: Overall, this is a pretty middle of the road RIS in my opinion.  Some age could do this wonders I suppose, but as is, this one is a pretty big disappointment.  I am a huge fan of barrel aged stouts but this one is far too bitter and a touch too boozy. The bourbon is masked by an almost grain alcohol character, and the rest of the flavor profile is dominated by the bitter qualities.  I would like to try an aged one to see how it develops, but the fresh one is rather meh.  No where near the level of many other big RIS's I've enjoyed, and also no where near as enjoyable as Sucaba.

06-23-2012 02:15:09 | More by zac16125
readbaron

3.73/5  rDev -18.9%

Snifter served at local option.

I've had this one a few times now and it seems different each time - and for some reason that I can't quite identify it isn't a beer that does all that much for me.

Pours a dark, dark brown with a tiny bit of mocha foam.

Initially smells of a lot of espresso, some vanilla and bourbon sweetness, before finishing with anise and some hoppy/burnt bitterness. As it warms more bourbon sweetness and booze shows up.

Flavors follow the nose - coffee, vanilla, bourbon, anise and a hoppy bitter finish. A bit sweeter as it warms. There are also some tobacco and leathery qualities. It's pretty well balanced - flavors blend fairly nicely - but aren't quite as smooth and well integrated as they could be. Despite the different flavors, it doesn't quite feel complex. Maybe a little time will help.

Mouthfeel is good - a bit creamy - but a bit thin (I like my stouts hicghly viscous).

A tasty beer that doesn't quite live up to the hype (for me).

08-18-2011 21:22:21 | More by readbaron
jbertsch

3.73/5  rDev -18.9%

2011 vintage.

Wow, I can smell the booze as soon as I open the bottle.

Pitch black. A little half-finger head sticks around for a little while before fading.

Underneath its boozey aroma I get significant oak, vanilla, and chocolate.

It's flavor is a seedless meld of dark chocolate and French vanilla coffee. Bourbon soaked cherries come to mind. Alcohol is NOT hidden. Milk chocolate and hot booze sticks around on the finish.

Full bodied, a little syrupy, with a prickly finish.

Enjoyable, but not a breeze to drink. To be honest, i think the bourbon hurts this beer. It's a bit too hot for my personal tastes. There are other RISs that I enjoy more. So I was let down a Little. If I think of it as a beer, I'm not a huge fan. If I think of it as an after dinner cordial, I'm a fan. It has its place but you have to be in the mood. I just feel that the bourbon barrel aging added an unnecessary element to a beer that was probably perfect in the first place...and took some of its greatness away.

10-11-2012 00:40:44 | More by jbertsch
BarryMFBurton

Indiana

3.75/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On a dark and stormy night…actually, it’s pretty clear on this Halloween evening - it’s the Parabola in my glass that’s so dark and foreboding. I’m really glad that I have the chance to try this one out, especially living in Indiana; thank you once again to tripelhops, that badass trader.

Brewed approximately five months before the date of this tasting (June 2011 Vintage).

A: I have never seen a darker beer; there is literally no light shining through this. The texture looks thick as ever, adding substance to the darkness. The head is dark tan, pretty stable at a half-finger, with a superbly creamy look – looks silky smooth. Its pitch blackness gives the foam even more contrast, calling attention to an awesome shininess of the lacing as I swirl the glass. This one’s an eye-catcher, for sure.

S: Barrel-aged spirits are strong and upfront: vanilla, oak, brandy, woody bourbon. The alcohol is strong, fiery even in the nose. Malts are thick and creamy: bitter dark chocolate and graham cracker breadiness. Interesting aromas of baked desserts on the end: fresh-baked brownies and cinnamon apples. In all, it’s rich, with big emphasis of caramel and barrel-aged alcohol. Complex; lovely.

T: Fiery, roasted, and surprisingly bitter. The alcohol is huge, playing with the strong bitters to pull off some strange tastes: a bitter, herbal fruitiness of sherry, dark roasts (almost burnt at times), licorice, a slightly-off hop taste, and a medicinal alcoholic tinge. It’s a bitterness that I’m not sure I like, almost acrid or artificial-tasting. The roasts aren’t even that – they overwhelm what little coffee tastes are there with burnt barley. It throws the balance off a bit. The aftertaste is pretty peppery and dry, with a light vegetable taste. Was this beer aged in corn whiskey barrels? It has that kind of taste.

M: Oddly thin at times, but with a more-than-ample showing of carbonation. I’m not getting a mouth-coating texture, but there’s a good fiery feeling on the way down. Feels like an “RIS Light,” almost.

O: Well, it’s different, I’ll give it that. Maybe I got a bad bottle, but I didn’t think this beer was incredibly satisfying. I understand that new, interesting flavors are the goal, but sometimes they can expose the tastebuds to an unpleasant palate. So, as it stands, there’s a dozen other stout’s I’d have before this; I’m still open to tasting other bottles, though, just to make sure I’m not crazy.

11-01-2011 04:57:17 | More by BarryMFBurton
chugalug06

Colorado

3.78/5  rDev -17.8%

A - Very little head; expected due to high ABV... Head that does pour is light chocolate color. Brew is dark as night. No lacing.

S - Lots of coffee and big chocolate. Some vanilla, and chili too. Disappointing for all the hype it's been getting...

T - HOLY HEAT! This brew is not nearly as good as the Abyss... Lots of dark roasty coffee, almost tastes like it got burnt... Not too sure what everyone been getting excited over. The flavor is pretty smooth considering.

M - The HEAT is on!!! Lots of sweet bitterness. perfect carbonation.

O - This brew needs a few years to mellow and relax... I still have two more shipped directly from Cali, this one was snagged in Denver... I'll be anxious to re-review if worthy.

09-25-2011 00:59:49 | More by chugalug06
Centennial

3.78/5  rDev -17.8%

Bottle, split into snifter.

A.Dark, black and on the thick side with nice legs.

S. Light rum raisens and roasted chocolate malts with mild roasted espresso like aroma.

T. Roasted Chocolate, hint of charred bitterness, oak and vanilla are nice, not as much bourbon as I expected.

M. Slick but smooth, wish it was a little creamier.

O. Very good barrel aged imperial stout, not sure if it makes my top 10 though.

10-28-2011 03:01:12 | More by Centennial
LilBeerDoctor

3.8/5  rDev -17.4%

Extreme Beer Fest 2/15/08: I thought this was a very complex beer. Initial taste was of a stout, with notes of smoke, roast, bitterness. Then the bourbon started to kick in, followed by a sweet chocolate finish. I thought the bourbon complemented this beer very well.
8/3/8/4/16 (3.9/5)

12-27-2008 21:37:13 | More by LilBeerDoctor
BearsOnAcid

3.8/5  rDev -17.4%

Parabola poured out pitch black with a very small mocha head. I was surprised not to find that this beer had some oxidized/cardboard aroma that I find in their anniversary beers. Lots of sweet roasted malt and a light soy sauce aroma lifts out of the beer. It tries really hard to hide the alcohol in the beer. Very well rounded at this point.

Flavor is deeply roasted malt, sweet, and some hoppy bitterness. Mouthfeel is nearly the same as the anniversary beers. For a stout, this is considered watery. It feels more like a porter which I find to be the major fault in the beer. Other wise this is an extremely well balanced and flavorful stout. The barrel aging does not seem to take a huge role in this though. I'd be interested to so if this could stand on it's own without the barrel aging.

07-19-2010 05:45:15 | More by BearsOnAcid
caskstrength

3.8/5  rDev -17.4%

Pours dark. Who would have thunk it.

Smells are pretty typical bourbon stout smells. Baby brother GI BCS is what comes to mind.

It tastes like a slightly watered down GI BCS. no unique flavors here. Chcolate, vanilla, tobacco, etc. With bourbon notes throughout. Flavors mush together, nothing really pops on the tongue.

If I want a thick, high ABV bourbon barrel stout, there are other (better) options closer to home. A good beer, but I wanted (expected) something really good.
I think this beer is likely better fresh. This one was about 10 months old.

12-14-2010 21:03:05 | More by caskstrength
AdamBear

3.8/5  rDev -17.4%

A-black with a creamy dark tan head. has a perfect lacing that coats the glass.

S-dark bittersweet chocolate. smells creamy. moderate strength

T-wow this is a beer that fights back! it comes in with a very strong taste of baking chocolate and alcohol with a bitterness that stings the tongue. its a sweet and powerful taste that lasts! it has a long lasting after-taste that is mostly made of dark bittersweet cocoa powder.

M-very smooth and creamy with a creamy finish. has some alcohol bite to it.

O-a very tasty and a very serious stout. its definitely something that will both wake you up and then put you to sleep. its not very drinkable, in any way. this is a sipper that i'm glad i tried, but i won't be craving this any time soon.

08-20-2011 18:39:00 | More by AdamBear
tastyville

3.8/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

I had it with a bottle share with the Art and Craft Brews club. I knew what to expect from a bourbon barrel aged oatmeal stout. I was a bit disappointed at how unfriendly this beer drank. Everyone I spoke to about it says that it gets better with time. Shouldn't it be outstanding now and extraordinary later?
It poured dark like oil with very minimal head and very sexually. I wish these guys could figure out a natural additive that would make the head hang out a bit longer in these high ABV barrel aged stouts. The aromas were intense which is always a good thing but along with the rich bourbon, chocolate, slight vanilla, smoked caramel, berry medley and oak was the very apparent scent of alcohol. A renowned beer is great because the alcohol is invisible and you can really get into it. This one it is dead center and you enter with a state of mind that speaks moderation which is not good. The flavor was an alcoholic punch to the mouth that left a very nutty aftertaste that coated my mouth for a long time afterwards which was very good. Awesome in fact. I wish the dynamic of flavor profiles was a smooth transition. All the greatness is there but it should be a bit friendlier. The chocolate, vanilla, roasty, dark fruit notes are very distinguishable and enjoyable once you jump the alcohol hurdle.

05-07-2013 15:51:40 | More by tastyville
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

3.83/5  rDev -16.7%

Pours a solid black with a creamy fluffy coffee colored head that sticks around for a bit. Smells of coffee, chocolate, licorice, with hints of vanilla, oak, sweet bourbon and alcohol. Thick like maple syrup body has a creamy smooth mouthfeel and a light level of carbonation. Wow this one has some residual sugars that's for sure. Taste starts out with licorice and chocolate but they are assaulted with bourbon, vanilla and oak very quickly. Coffee and chocolate step in but disappear as the whole thing turns into an oddly dry finish. Long lingering alcohol heat and earthy hop bite rolled in roasted grains. This is a big beer that is tasty. I find it a bit hot in the finish, I'm curious to see what a little age does to this one.

07-26-2011 23:41:15 | More by johnnnniee
homebrewhawk

Kansas

3.83/5  rDev -16.7%

2012 vintage. 22oz. bottle served in a snifter. Poured a deep brown/black with a thin tan head. Chocolate, vanilla and a little alcohol in the aroma. Full bodied and rich. More chocolate and roasted barley in the flavor. I found this to be a little hot. Really long dry malty finish. I expected more barrel, but it was nicely balanced. Would have benefited from some age.

07-06-2012 00:57:47 | More by homebrewhawk
mwa423

3.85/5  rDev -16.3%

A - Pours jet black with 0 head. If you've ever poured motor oil into an engine you can get a good idea of what this is like.

S - Dried fruit, some malty sweetness, chocolate and a good amount of alcohol.

T - Boozy, harsh and really could use a couple years age. The malt is quite forward and slight chocolate notes, but this beer actually has an alcoholic burn to it.

M/D - Mouthfeel is very thick and harsh, it coats the tongue and cheeks and leaves a bit of burn. This is as drinkable as most extreme imperial stouts (Dark Lord, DORIS the Destroyer, etc) but could be an amazing beer with some time.

08-22-2010 23:02:49 | More by mwa423
Gfunk720

Connecticut

3.85/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to Michael for hooking this bottle up. Consumed out of my Sierra Nevada 30th Anniv. Tulip.

A- Very dark with a frothy coffee colored head. Good head retention, no lacing. The beer is pretty much solid black, with some hints of red at the edges.

S- Smells of creamy bourbon, with oak notes. Definetely not as strong as most bourbon aged beers, but noticeble. I notice a good hop smell as well, but nothing crazy

T- Starts very creamy, then opens up to flavors of chocolate/coffee/caramel/bourbon and oak. I like big bourbon beers, and thats where this one fell a little short. It just didn't stack up to some others.

M- Nice, and a very good blending of flavors. I wish it was a little thicker, as it is 13%. Good, but no BCS

D- All around pretty darn good. A little tangy, and some overly lingering hop aftertaste at times. Quite light for a bourbon barrel beer at 13%

I might have hyped this one up a bit in my head, thinking it could best KBS/BCS and some of my other favorites. I'll age a couple bottles, and see what I think down the road.

08-26-2010 02:44:55 | More by Gfunk720
NiceTaps

3.88/5  rDev -15.7%

Poured from a 22oz botle into a fine stemmed tuplip glass.

A- Pours a true opaque black color with a mocha-brown head, just about 2finger due to a healthy pouring. That head fades to a lip that will not go away.

S- BOOZEY right away, and strong. Once past the booze, there are notes of creamy vanilla, smokey oak, anise and cocoa.

T- Smores roasted over the fire, simply put. It tastes like it smells.

M- so smooth and velvety, great full and creamy body. But the booze just won't quit. No sign of the IBUs, either.

O-I'd like to see the ABV toned down or at least masked, and more than a bit. For me, I expect more balance in a RIS, but it's certainly not bad.

11-10-2012 01:14:25 | More by NiceTaps
HuskyinPDX

Washington

3.9/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle poured into a snifter glass.

A - Motor oil black with a tan head forming only at the edges.

S - Booze, oak, chocolate, and coffee.

T - The flavors roll onto the tongue in the same order, and are very pronounced. Booze, oak, chocolate, coffee.

D - A slightly bitter finish, but I was surprised by how balanced the mouthfeel was.

O - A complex RIS, very nice and warming.

06-13-2011 02:02:28 | More by HuskyinPDX
froghop

Washington

3.93/5  rDev -14.6%

pours a midnight black with a small brown head, and great lacing.

smell is of nuts, bakers chocolate, licorice, some sour malt, and hops.

taste is thick, cocoa, nuts, and some sour malt, ends dry and nicely bitter.

overall a very good imperial stout. nice chocolate flavoring.

05-29-2010 23:35:45 | More by froghop
ne0m00re

3.93/5  rDev -14.6%

(No date... sometime in the Summer of 2011)- Review of a No. 002, 2011 22oz.
A: Black with a good cream lacing.
S: Caramel oatmeal, milk chooclate and raisins and rum barrels (oddly).
T: Tastes just like a chocolate chip cookie or brownie with oatmeal and whiskey raisin. Good, but very sweet.
M: Thicker chewy and creamy good strong chocolate stout.
O: Good, but nothing mindblowing. Maybe I'm not the biggest fan of Firestone Walker.

09-21-2011 02:33:30 | More by ne0m00re
Parabola from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.