Velvet Merlin - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Velvet MerlinVelvet Merlin

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

Oatmeal Stout |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

A decadent oatmeal stout. Velvet Merlin offers robust cocoa and espresso aromas with subtle American hop nuances. Rich dark chocolate and roasted coffee flavor with a creamy mouth feel and wonderfully dry finish create the perfect balance in this full-bodied stout. Ideal for sipping in the winter months or at the end of a meal.

Original name was "Velvet Merkin", but name was changed when it began to be bottled in 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufa ... tube_gdata

(Beer added by: largadeer on 11-13-2008)
3.53/5  rDev -12%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a Duvel tulip (02/17/14, not sure if that is best by or bottled on, best by makes sense since this is a fall beer)

A: Pitch black and pours a finger thick head that goes away quickly enough. Leaving just a slightly mocha island of bubbles.

S: I get a lot of coffee and chocolate, with that oatmeal background that smooths them all out and binds them together.

T: Very smooth from the oatmeal. Tastes like rye oat water. I was super excited for this, but maybe it would have been better had we gotten it in the fall. Nice bit of stout in there, but comes across as more of a porter.

M: Smooth, with just a bit of abrasiveness to it.

O: Not what I was expecting, but I was wanting more flavor. I guess I am spoiled by GD's Oatmeal Yeti.

p.s. Turns out this is a late spring/early summer release (at least here in MD). Still looking for some Easy Jack and Opal.

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

3.61/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A brew from Firestone Walker with an Outstanding BA rating made me think I was in for something special. This is a good beer but nothing exceptional. Pours a dense dark brown with just a little light coming through the bottom of the glass. Good size light tan/yellowish head with better than average retention.

Aroma is mild, mostly roasted malt. Taste is similar with perhaps a bit of chocolate coming in too. Mostly bready and slightly sweet malts.

Mouthfeel is very good. Most Oatmeal stouts are creamy and smooth. This is no exception. Nice and crisp as well with no alcohol presence.

A fairly good but not exceptional brew. For an Oatmeal Stout, I would rather have a Samuel Smiths.

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

3.3/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. I cannot tell you guys how glad I am to finally see this in MD.

A: Pours a very dark ruby color. The head is a finger high and khaki in shade. The texture isn't as creamy soft as I like from my stouts

S: I'm getting healthy notes of both roast and oats, mainly. A bit of coffee, also. There's also a strong mineral quality that suggests a dry beer. I'm missing some defined notes of chocolate or fruit esters that would really send this over the top. Still, it doesn't smell bad at all - just a bit dull.

T: Better than what the nose suggested. It starts off with some oats and roast (roasted oats? Hey, why not...) The middle has a nice combination of chocolate, licorice (this is subdued, ergo I don't hate its presence), and brown sugar; it finishes cola-y. I could do without the cola flavors, but it still has a good flavor profile.

M: It's dry - just not as bone dry as I anticipated. After the half way point, it becomes quite wet and sweet (but never overbearing). In addition, it's thin and lacking creaminess. Still, thanks to the medium carbonation, it's very easy to drink.

O: A classic example of a beer that tastes better than it smells. It's not amazing, but it works nicely enough - I think its status of "that FW beer we DON'T get on the East coast" propped it up too high on my pedestal. Speaking of...hey FW, bring Pivo Pils to MD, right now!

4.25/5  rDev +6%

Velvet Merlin from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.