2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Velvet Merkin - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Velvet MerkinVelvet Merkin

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

Oatmeal Stout |  8.50% ABV

Oatmeal stout aged in a >10 year old Heaven Hill bourbon barrel.

(Beer added by: t0rin0 on 11-20-2008)
View: Beers (64) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,020 | Reviews: 160 | Show All Ratings:
gueuzedreg

3.96/5  rDev -7.7%

22oz batch one into a Goose Island glass.

A- Not quite jet black. On the sides of the glass when held up to light brown barely transparent through. Pretty thick. Minimal lacing with little retention.

S- Big oats/oatmeal upfront, with sugary sweet malts and little bit of dark fruit.

T- Slight oatmeal stout, not overpowering with a touch of booze heat at the end. I kinda wanted this to be a big bad bold oatmeal stout that has heat on the end. I know that this kind of stout would get thinner because of the barrel aging.

M- Pretty thick for a BA Oatmeal Stout. Not thick like Zhukov, and not as thin as Central Waters BB Stout, right in the middle of both.

O- I was not impressed with the hype behind this one. I probably will seek out one bottle next year, and not go overboard searching for it.

12-06-2013 01:09:58 | More by gueuzedreg
jaasen64

3.93/5  rDev -8.4%

22oz bottle poured into 18oz Funky Buddha snifter. '13 vintage, 3500 cases produced.

A- Pours a dark brown that appears a jet black in the glass, about a half-fingers worth of slight mocha head forms leaving off-white spotty lacing. Head recedes to just a wispy flat top.

S- Dark malts with a little bit of dark chocolate, licorice, lactose sugars, some faint toffee. About average aroma strength, pleasant smelling, bourbon doesn't come out too much. Overall a nice aroma with a little bit of complexity but nothing too memorable.

T- Nice lactose sugars mixed with a bit of dark chocolate, some light licorice, toffee, more dark chocolate comes out on the finish with a bit of milk chocolate, some light leather, very subtle bourbon, and more lactose sugars. Nice long enjoyable finish.

M- Fairly light for style, a little bit spritzy with a decent amount of carbonation, very drinkable though.

O- I enjoyed this beer but I don't think I'd say it lives up to the hype it has been receiving. There just wasn't anything that really stood out for me, maybe I just had too high of expectations loving Parabola and Sucaba. Definitely worth the try, but there is no way I'd pay $17 for another bottle (even at half that I'd be a little bit hesitant).

12-05-2013 23:17:40 | More by jaasen64
Rifugium

3.73/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

First had: on tap at Capone's

Dark brown pour, slightly translucent around the rim, with a small beige ringlet. Aroma of roasty dark malts, toasted bread, bourbon and spiced rum, notes of chocolate and vanilla. More dark malt roastiness in the taste, notes of dark berries, coconut, bourbon-soaked oak, vegetal vanilla, bakers' chocolate. Mouthfeel was on the thin side, surprising for an oatmeal stout, body was about medium; boozy presence was felt, but it was pretty smooth and not hot at all. A decent brew overall.

12-04-2013 23:05:38 | More by Rifugium
draheim

Washington

4.35/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

22oz (No. 001, bottled 8/23/2013) into a snifter. Pours a deep dark brownish black w/ a minimal head, just a ring of khaki foam around the edge.

Aroma is big chocolate, vanilla, caramel, and bourbon, similar to Parabola. Lots of rich, swirling complexity here, and the glass is still pretty cold. Difficult as it is, I'm going to let this warm up a bit before I continue... OK, where was I? Ah yes. Now I'm getting more of everything I mentioned above, plus a really nice oaky char. Outstanding.

Taste has all the qualities of the aroma: vanilla, caramel, bourbon, chocolate, and a nice warming roastiness.

Mouthfeel is just a touch thin, not really surprising for a relatively low ABV stout like this. Otherwise it's slick and smooth, and goes down way too easy. Good carbonation.

Overall, another barrel-aged wonder from Firestone Walker.

12-04-2013 04:10:24 | More by draheim
BeerKangaroo

Alaska

4.7/5  rDev +9.6%

08/23/13 (stamped on the neck of the bottle)

Into a pint glass and a snifter:

A: jet black colored body with a head seems to last just a tad longer in the snifter and concaves a bit than the pint glass, its about a half finger off-white sort of tan that dies at a very nice pace, more spotty lacing is in the pint glass than the snifter

S: same amount of bourbon in both glasses, smokey chocolate comes through, slightly roasty and oaty

T: sweet roasty bourbon-ness with a slight smokey-esque feel strolling around my taste buds with some vanilla making a decent presence, bourbon sweet aftertaste, sticky yet somewhat dry chocolate bourbon finish (wow, what a complex finish, I don't think I've ever had any finish like that before)

M: for an oatmeal stout at 8.5 that was bottled in August of this year, wow, this lives up to its name - what a "velvety" smooth feel rolling around my tongue and mouth, the more I sip the more I think holey moley wow, this feels great around my mouth especially with the lack of age on it; I'd say its about a medium in body, more of a sipper for sessionability's sake, carbonation is pretty good for the style and for me, not much pounding the mouth and tongue but that's ok

O: this could quite possibly be the best oatmeal stout that I've ever had. I didn't know it was going to be this good. Thank you very much Highdesertdrinker and kudos to Firestone Walker for making an exceptional beer.

12-01-2013 22:04:10 | More by BeerKangaroo
MacQ32

South Carolina

4.51/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A - almost motor oil black with a minimal chocolate head, weak retention and OK lacing

S - Tons of sweet chocolate, smokey/almost roasty aromas. Lots and lots of oats. Tons of dry okay aromas and a wallop of bourbon

T - Sweet milk stout with tons of great oat flavor. Swear vanilla sweet bourbon flavor, lots of oak.

M - perfectly smooth. Minimal carbonation, thick, very warming combines with a great balanced but bkurbony flavor profile to form an incredibly nice drinking brew

11-29-2013 03:37:10 | More by MacQ32
DrewskiWhit

Indiana

4.05/5  rDev -5.6%

A nice head retention. Looks pretty thin. deep brown color.

S yep its a Firestone BA beer. That classic firestone bourbon, vanilla & coconut smell dominates.

T falls a touch short here for me. Its good but not blowing me away as most fw beers do. Mostly follows the nose although there is a touch of bitterness on the back end as it warmed

M I've seen the reviews and indeed it is a thin mouth feel. However, I rather enjoyed it and it just makes it more drinkable.

O I think I prefer this one a bit chilled but the more I drink it, the more I like it. Honestly tho this is prob my least favorite fw BA beer but still quite delicious and a nice alternative to parabola

11-29-2013 03:19:51 | More by DrewskiWhit
chugalug06

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

#700 - Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Super, fluffy, foamy, milky tan, crispy, butters, bubbly head appearance. Brew is thin(er) black very little light shines though. Nice lacing too.

Tons of oats, vanilla, barrel notes, hazelnut, coffee, milky chocolate.

Flavors burst. Deep, complex, creamy, thin(er), popcorn(y), no booze or barrel bite. Vanilla pours out of the roasty (light) hazelnut chalky flavors. Dry, roasty, English-style, combination of flavors. Carbonation is way lighter than visible though appearance and fits nicely.

Highly drinkable, very relaxed. Smooth easy barrel-aged brew. Not a typical over the top BA brew. Highly recommended, definitely worth seeking out, if you can find it. Here's to 700 more, cheers!!!

11-28-2013 22:57:55 | More by chugalug06
Vixie

4.18/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours a very dark brown, only light getting through is on the edges. Not a large head, not the darkest beer I have seen, but not much light through it either.

Lot going on in the smell department. It starts out a bit candy like, with chocolate, caramel, coconut, and a hint of alcohol.

Very complex beer. Tastes a lot like it smells, there's chocolate, coffee, caramel, coconut, vanilla, and a slight booziness at the finish.

The feel is smooth, but not quite as thick as I was expecting.

Definitely a nice beer here. It has a nice smell with a taste to match. For being a big beer, it goes down easy, I'd easily drink more of this.

11-27-2013 02:08:06 | More by Vixie
RichD

Rhode Island

4.7/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured this into a tulip glass.

A: Pours a deep black with a small light tan had that is reduced to a mere ring around my glass. There is also some lacing left in the glass as I drink.

S: Smells of chocolate and vanilla almost exclusively. The smell is quite faint. I also pick up some bourbon sweetness. It's definitely very pleasant, but if the smell was more prominent I would give this a higher score.

T: Whoa! Immediate bourbon sweetness that consists of vanilla and some oak. The chocolate and roasted malts give a light coffee-like flavor. I also pick up some oats before the flavor transforms into a strong caramel flavor that takes my taste buds for a ride. Some warmness is also coming through at the end. The flavors mesh so incredibly well that I have a hard time setting each flavor aside.

M: I've read that some don't like the mouthfeel on this. I absolutely love it. It's remarkable that even with the bourbon barrel treatment that this beer retains the smoothness of an oatmeal stout. This is truly a one of the best mouthfeels I've ever had with a barrel aged beer. The 8% is almost nonexistent which is even better.

Overall: This beer is awesome. Firestone Walker really might have the best barrel aging program out there. Between this and the 3 other offerings that FW has, I'm having a hard time figuring out which is my favorite. This beer will on my purchase list every year and I'm already anticipating when I can buy it again even though I still have half the bottle left.

11-26-2013 01:00:38 | More by RichD
beergoot

4.68/5  rDev +9.1%

2013 Vintage No.001

India ink black body with a smooth, creamy, off-white head. Light coffee, vanilla, chocolate and cocoa aromas. Deeply rich and soothing malt sugar flavors, favoring the darker malts. Heavy body yet velvety smooth.

A very noticeable oak-bourbon scent right off the top strongly suggests what the rest of the tasting experience may be like. Silky sweet taste and feel, mostly comprised of a deeply rich yet zesty chocolate tone. Mint chocolate quality overall, adding a very tasty and appealing sweetness and zing to things. An exquisitely well-balanced and complex dark ale. Deep and engrossing and near-perfect.

11-24-2013 21:19:14 | More by beergoot
MCain04

4.26/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22 oz bottle poured into my Crooked stave snifter. Around 50F.

Pours a dark brown body, near-black in the glass, with a cappuccino-colored thick frothy head of great depth, retention, and lacing.

Smells of roasty malts with vanilla and oak with bourbon notes, some coffee.

Taste follows the nose and is roasty with some bitterness, sweetness from toffee and vanilla, oak, bourbon, chocolate, finish with a touch of bourbon lingering, minimal alcohol burn

Feel is medium-bodied, smooth, moderate carbonation, mildly dry finish.

Overall, the best part about this brew is the drinkability. You can throw down a bomber of this without struggling. It is delicious and enjoyed, but I have to say I prefer my BBA stouts to be thicker and with more intense aromas and flavors. Still, this works really well.

11-24-2013 02:07:33 | More by MCain04
cde1218

4.91/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Wow.... I've read all of the reviews on here about poor mouth feel of this beer.... I truly disagree with all of those reviews. This beer is fantastic! I'm thoroughly impressed with the unique flavor profile... Great chocolate, malt, dark fruit etc. True.... It's no bourbon county in terms of mouth feel but truly a great drive king experience in terms of flavor. FBGM

11-23-2013 00:49:11 | More by cde1218
Ljudsignal

4.38/5  rDev +2.1%

22oz bottle split four ways--with my dear mother and father and my ladyfriend katalijne. Poured into my Night Shift tulip. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a thick, viscous brown-black. Subtle reddish-brown highlights appear when held up to light. A half-finger mocha head subsides fairly quickly into a thin collar. Thick, retentive curtains of lacing.

In the nose, powerful bourbon notes dominate, with roasted nuts, coffee, milk chocolate, vanilla, and toasted coconut all playing supporting roles. The overbearing potency of the bourbon note keeps this beer from having a truly world-class nose on it, although it becomes increasingly multidimensional as it warms.

On the palate, by contrast, this beer is complex and delicious right from the get-go. Light bourbon notes, vanilla, and lightly toasted coconut dominate the front of the palate, while notes of hazelnut, blonde roast, and semisweet chocolate appear mid-palate. Finishes with a resurgence of oaky bourbon notes.

In the mouth, on the light side of medium-bodied and slightly more effervescent than expected. The slightly higher carbonation and thinner body pairs well with the subtlety of the barrel-aging, resulting in a creamy but not chewy complete package. Dangerously drinkable.

On the whole, Velvet Merkin is perhaps the finest beer I have had by Firestone Walker thus far, and a truly superior stout by any standard. It's a damn shame this one doesn't come around more often, and I wish I'd bought more than one bottle.

11-22-2013 04:45:41 | More by Ljudsignal
VelvetExtract

4.68/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 5

A-Pours a very, very dark brown with only minimal light penetration. The head is a thin accumulation of sand colored bubbles and foam. Dots and waves of lace.

S-Interesting! I find it to be noticeably nutty. Almost like a nut flavored coffee. Toasted coconuts, too. A respectable and well set bourbon aroma. I notice coconuts more and more and I love that. Bits of vanilla and even some tobacco leaves. Almond chocolate bars!

T-The flavor is also delicious. I like how the bourbon isn't the main flavor, it merely accentuates the other flavors. Coconut milk chocolate. Roasted oats. Medium roast almond/hazelnut coffee. Chocolate chips. Vanilla and oak. Light tobacco. Then the whiskey kicks back in on the backside. Very tasty.

M-Body is thinner than expected but it seems to fit the beer's ABV. I actually enjoy its lack of viscosity. Tantalizing bubbles. A bit creamy and spicy/hot from the bourbon. Drinks too easily.

O/D-Firestone Walker barrel aged brews are an automatic. This one may be one of the best in my opinion. Not as huge as the others but it's complexity is unmatched. This beer tastes like it was made just for me and my taste buds. I really, really enjoyed this beer. Instant classic.

11-21-2013 01:35:42 | More by VelvetExtract
AgentMunky

3.89/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a tasting glass at the brewery. From notes. Reviewed 24 February 2013.

It smells of sweet bourbon. Like scotch and chocolate. The taste is like oatmeal with chocolate milk. Finish is ozone and chalky sweet. It's okay, but it really suffers from the mouthfeel -- it's thin and flat. Smooooth, but it kills the flavor. I'll try it again sometime, but this was not that impressive.

11-19-2013 06:04:48 | More by AgentMunky
Rizalini

Nevada

4.3/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 2013 bomber, No. 001, into a Stone goblet

A - Pours nearly black, with a finger of light brown head. Leaving some nice thick lacing as the head slowly falls.

S - Very bourbon forward, and smells delicious.

T/M - The taste is a beautiful mix of chocolate and vanilla-ey bourbon. Nice rich chocolate wafer / oatmeal in the middle, with notes of coffee and slight tobacco. The bourbon returns and hangs around during the after taste. The mouthfeel is a little on the thin side, carbonation is good.

O - Another winner from Firestone for sure! This one is flavorful, and very drinkable to boot! I'm sure this one is only gonna get better with age. Just a slight amount of heat, but that'll probably fall off with age. Glad I got some for my cellar.

11-19-2013 03:39:44 | More by Rizalini
ChrisMyhre

4.41/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a stemmed tulip from the 22 oz. bottle.

a: Dark brown/ black. Thick large bubbles in the head, is that a merkin in the lacing?

s: Super bourbon forward, very little malt or yeast coming through.

t: Again very bourbon forward, decent malt background, but not a ton of the roastiness you'd expect from a stout. Decently balanced, but not much bitterness comes through the bourbon.

m: Drinkable, maybe even a little thin, a little of the creaminess oats provide, but less than expected.

o: Very good, very subtle but it is hard for such a subtle profile to stand up to the strong bourbon flavor.

Bottled 8/23/13.

11-18-2013 23:23:45 | More by ChrisMyhre
nataku00

4.29/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle, first batch released, poured into a tulip glass. Beer pours a dark brown bordering on black, with two fingers of light brown creamy head that dissipates quickly. Some carbonation visible at the edges.

Nose is roasted malt, toffee, cocoa, coffee, graham cracker and a good amount of bourbon barrels flavors like vanilla, cinnamon, charred wood, and caramel.

Taste follows the nose, roasty flavors of coffee and malt, a little bit of toasted grain, semi sweet chocolate, graham cracker, before the bourbon flavor kicks in mid tongue with vanilla, spice, charred oak. Not much of a finish on this, just some light roasted and toasted flavors after a short finish.

Medium to full body, creamy with smooth decent carbonation. Very easy to drink for this high ABV as the bourbon barrel flavors are well integrated. Drinking nicely so soon after release.

11-18-2013 03:28:08 | More by nataku00
Axnjxn

4.35/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2013 bottle into a snifter.

pours a pitch black with a great beige head. smell is insanely chocolatey and bourbony..wow! taste is so so smooth with chocolate, roasted malts and just a tad of bourbon on the back end. the oats are also very present! real impressive and drinkablity is huge. medium bodied and so so smooth.

overall love this one. fw is amazing.

11-14-2013 02:48:15 | More by Axnjxn
Joshpu

(2013 Release) Poured from the bomber to snifter.

A: Poured a dark brown, porter looking, with a small off-white head.

S: Vanilla/coconut bourbon smell, slight oatmeal. The stout characteristics are more subtle than I thought they would be.

T: Again getting mostly the vanilla from the bourbon and oak. The stout characteristics are pretty tame on the taste, they're there but are playing background. Slight dark chocolate, coffee. A sweetness that I can't quite describe. As it warms I get a slight tobacco flavor.

M: Light to medium bodied. Creamy and crisp and easy to drink, don't taste the alcohol at all.

Overall, not my favorite offering from FW, but still a well executed beer. An easy drinking and balanced beer.

11-11-2013 08:56:25 | More by Joshpu
McStagger

4.4/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From notes.

A: Big pour leads to half finger of head. Beer is opaque blackness. Not the darkest ever, but pretty dark. Head is leathery color, with moderate retention. Nice lacing. Carbonation is difficult to discern.

S: Boom! Coconut out the wazoo. Toffee, dark fruit, milk chocolate, malted milk balls, dark chocolate, almond joy/mounds.

T: Similar to the nose. Huge coconut notes. Vanilla bean, milk chocolate, dark chocolate, some small bits of coffee, roastiness. Cherry liquer. Slightly medicinal with the cherry and alcohol flavors interweaving. Rounds out as it opens up. more malt sweetness, and the milk chocolate definitely takes off.

M: Big, but not huge. The carbonation supplies the structure without being distracting.

O: Killer stout here. Wish I could have given a more detailed review of this one. It's not quite to the level of Parabola. The bourbon barrel isn't quite as pronounced as I'd like it to be. Still a damn fine stout. FW, you are the masters.

11-11-2013 08:19:17 | More by McStagger
TheSevenDuffs

Ontario (Canada)

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

First vintage poured in to FW tulip.

A - Pitch black with a half finger of light brown head and excellent lacing.

S - Huge barrel aromas dominate the nose. Charred oak, sweet bourbon & vanilla, chocolate fudge and roast aromas are all present.

T - Intense charred oak up front with sweet bourbon and vanilla flavours also coming through in a massive barrel presence. Chocolate fudge, roast and the slightest hint of coffee are also present.

M - Medium body. Light carbonation.

11-09-2013 17:40:04 | More by TheSevenDuffs
maximum12

3.6/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to analogchainsaw for the first of two rapid-fire trades that brought sunny California to Minnesota (without, y'know, the sun, warmth, ocean...OK, just the beer...OK, just a couple of them). Popping this to celebrate the arrival of box #2 tomorrow. 22 oz. bottle, batch #1, split with my wife.

The pour is you-are-dead black, with appropriate minimal carbonation. Bringing the blessed liquid close to two of the openings in my face. Smells like whiskey & sweet malts. Enough of this crap, let's drink.

Velvet Merkin hits the first word dead-on, but I'll have to look up the second. First impression is the smooothness. Smoother than my chest fresh from waxing, the beer creates almost no friction in the throat. The beer needs to warm; cold, it's tame & lifeless. Warming, it delivers classic oatmeal stout, grainy, smoooth (did I say that?), nice vanilla, touch of bourbon. A little thin; I know of 8.5% beers that hold their barrel well, this one doesn't quite perfect that.

I've come to expect the world from Firestone barrel-aged beers, & this one didn't turn my crank quite so hard. A good beer, but not as dead-center as pretty much everything else they do.

11-09-2013 04:55:39 | More by maximum12
hoppytobehere

4.34/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

22 oz. bottle. 2013 vintage (is that how you say it? who cares). Purchased a couple months ago.

A: Dark as the hour before dawn. Creamy, tan head with nice retention.

S: Bourbon dominates. Coffee, vanilla and chocolate poke through.

T: Follows the nose. Dry stout with tons of bourbon flavor. Hardly any alcohol present. Outstanding.

M: Creamy. A little stickiness from the bourbon.

O: Excellent stuff. Like the flavor in this relatively low ABV barrel aged stout.

11-09-2013 04:49:11 | More by hoppytobehere
Velvet Merkin from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.