Velvet Merkin - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Velvet MerkinVelvet Merkin

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

Oatmeal Stout |  8.50% ABV

Oatmeal stout aged in a >10 year old Heaven Hill bourbon barrel.

(Beer added by: t0rin0 on 11-20-2008)

ScreamForMe, Nov 18, 2011

ncelauro, Jan 16, 2014

mhaugo, Dec 22, 2011

ChrisCutler, Jun 14, 2014

RichBeer, Nov 16, 2011

Had this beer on tap at Eulogy during Philly Beer Week. Met brewery owner David Walker, who mentioned that this beer will never be made again. Thus, I had at least 3 glasses of this (all served in a snifter).

Pours a jet black with nice little head that fades. Smells of chocolate & bourbon with a nice wood component to it. Tastes wonderful. Rich & creamy, it's like a beer and a desert all wrapped in one. I savored this one quite a bit and was blown away by the sheer awesomeness of a beer of this magnitude.

If you can find it, buy it and drink now!

jwhancher, Jun 02, 2012

Davihaw, Dec 31, 2012

I took my 73 year old uncle Eddy to a doctors appointment in providence RI. It was a routine check up that told us everything was fine. SWEET. After learning this I axed him if he would enjoy a pint with me. His response was "hell yah". Since I was in Providence I took him to Julian's. A place that is known for it's draft selection. When I sat at the bar I noticed A Firestone Walker tap I hadn't seen before. I ordered one because that brewery has not let me down before. The Velvet Merkin was placed in front of me. Its blackness alone was intoxicating. The head was a thick brownish tan that stayed until the end. All I could smell was whiskey. This beer was everything I could hope for in a bourbon barrel stout. The vanilla was just right so it actually tasted like beer. the finish was to good to be true. I could have drank 10 of them but I had to drive my uncle home. Needless to say I enjoyed this fine brew to the fullest.

woodyhardboner, Aug 04, 2014

22 oz bomber poured into a rastal snifter.

A: Black. Pours moderately thick, small tan head rises and dissipates quickly leaving spotty lacing.

S: Really strong bourbon aroma upfront, followed by some vanilla and roasty malts on the back, very pleasing aroma.

T: Bourbon upfront, but not in a hot, burn your mouth off kind of way, very pleasant oak flavor. Next is straight up milk chocolate, almost like a milkshake. Some bitter chocolate, vanilla, and roasted malts on the back.

M: Thick, smooth, and extremely creamy. Very moderate carbonation, this beer is probably the easiest drinking 8.5% ABV out there.

O: There is absolutely nothing negative I can say about this beer. Up until I tried this Parabola was my favorite all time beer, and this has surpassed this. Everyone needs to seek this out and try it at least once.

Hopinista, Oct 14, 2013

AOShabaz, Nov 11, 2013

PZBREW, Jun 30, 2014

Ryburr, Nov 18, 2011

PEIhop, Nov 17, 2013

Scepter, Jan 17, 2014
Velvet Merkin from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.