1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Double Jack - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Double JackDouble Jack

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: ThreeWiseMen on 06-25-2009)
View: Beers (63) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 4,782 | Reviews: 1,147 | Show All Ratings:
OStrungT

This beer pours a clear golden yellow color, with a thick and fluffy light khaki head. The head fades very slowly, leaving a massive lacing.

This beer has a nice grassy hop aroma. Some citrus grapefruit mixes in. This beer has a slightly piney aroma also. No traces of the 9.5 percent ABV.

This beer tastes much like it smells. Grassy up front, with a lot of grapefruit. Just a bit of sweet caramel mixes in with the flavor. As with the aroma, the alcohol is well masked.

This beer is full bodied. It is criso, and refreshing. It leaves a grassy aftertaste.

This beer would make an excelent session beer if the alcohol content wasnt so high. It is too easy to forget that this is a high alcohol beer.

Overall: Great beer. I really like a grassy IPA or DIPA. It kind of reminds me of Apline Beer Companys Duet. As that is one of my favorite beers, this one definately ranks up there.

Serving type: growler

06-28-2009 03:08:51 | More by OStrungT
rudzud

Picked up on a whim from Julio's. Saw it and though "hey, I havent had Firestone yet". The sell point for me was the date on the case "packaged on 2/10/11". Yeah, should still be nice and fresh, one bottle please. Now I have to buy more.

A - Poured into a Duvel tulip a wonderful golden copper colour with a fluffy 2 finger head that very, very slowly faded to leave sticky lacing. Wow.

S - WOW. Another user was right, lots of bubblegum and grapefruit citrus aromas. Thats it really, no malts or anything just WHAM in your face grapefruit, bubblegum, and tropical. This is by far the most intensely aromatic DIPA I've ever drank.

T - Sweet mother of mercy! I imagine, because this is so goddamn fresh, its as delicious as it is. Lots of grapefruit and tropical hop flavours here. There is a little malt sweetness but the middle and end is ALL grapefruit and topical notes. This flavour, this spectacular flavour makes me want to drink this nonstop. My god this is good.

M - This is the only iffy area for this beer. I knew right off the bat this beer was getting 5's in all categories, but the mouthfeel, this one I had to think about. Gotta do it though. The feel its just crisp enough. That nice tingle right up front with a very nice finish. Not syrupy really. I'd like more carbonation (just a lil), however, thats damn near impossible with this ABV. If this was an IPA, it would only be say, a 4/4.5 but for a double with this ABV, yeah, gotta do it.

D - Yeah, everything above compounds into something spectacular. I've had alot of DIPA but this, this one shatters them all. I cant think of anything this can improve on. Outstanding aromas here, the flavour is a ridiculously close second but the aroma, man oh man. Its the freshness of the bottle that makes this rank incredibly high for me, it has to be, I mean, the smell cant be THAT intense some months down the road can it?? This is a 9.5 ABV and I'm drinking this like its some absurdly low number. What's this? The bottle is gone already? Damnit!

03-13-2011 06:59:33 | More by rudzud
Impfan

Washington

What can I say? The most complex, fruitiest DIPA I’ve ever tasted, and the fruitiest unfruited beer I’ve tasted since Stille Nacht 1996 Reserve. Among the detectable fruity esters, there are grapefruit, mandarin orange, tangerine, peach, plum, agave nectar, cherry, mango, kiwi, lemon, lime, marion berry, and strawberry. The finish is luxuriously long, and that seltzer quality slightly dries out the finish, and really adds a sprightly tingle. Add to this a great malt backbone that has a fruitiness all its own with a substantial body (similar to Hercules, but not as syrupy and weighty. The floral hoppiness in this beauty almost rivals the Plinys, and after awhile a seltzery saltiness develops, and while I’m not normally a fan of seltzer, it works perfectly here, and leaves one craving another taste. Perfection.

04-20-2011 23:09:25 | More by Impfan
thebrood1987

The smell definitely reminds me of Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA with that very fruity slick hop smell with sweetness in there as well. It just smells fantastic though with the tropical fruity cake just beaming off the hops and malts they use. It has a thick mouth feel with that fruitiness and piney hop flavors just smacking you in the face and then leaving you with some citric herbal piney bitterness. The alcohol comes through on the swallow not in taste but in feel more than anything. The sweetness I'd account to the very tropical fruity hops and the sweet malts they use.

I like that there is a malt taste in here that really reminds me of Dogfish Head 90 minute. All around this could fool me for a Dogfish Head beer actually. Some people say this doesn't have that much bitterness and yeah in comparison to others its not a bitter bomb but it does hold its own and backs up the hop flavors with that citric herbal and piney bitterness that we all love. Is it the best Imperial IPA ever? I'd say this, Dogifish Head 90 Minute and Hop Stoopid are some of the best I've had. This highly holds up to every Imperial in the style and maybe even ties for my favorite ever.

06-04-2011 01:37:08 | More by thebrood1987
razorsdescent

a- a beautiful almost amber color with a nice off white head, plenty of lacing. on a side note appearence does not matter much to me with beer.

s- wow this is where we start to get into the beauty of this beer. the smell is slick and oily hops.

t- oh my this is amazing! tastes like glorious oily hops. what a doudle IPA should taste like.

m- the mouthfeel is exceptioanlly smooth and the resiny oils of the hops coat the palate. this beer is great after your meal to refresh and tantalize the palate.

o- really this is one of the best beers ive had in awhile. i work in a bar that speacializes in rare and high end beers and this is one of the few that has really impressed me. If you can try this on tap do it!!!

I bought a bottle to cellar for a year or two and see what happens.

10-05-2011 21:26:16 | More by razorsdescent
mschind

22 oz bottle dated 3-5-12

A- A gentle pour into a chalice produced a foamy, off white three finger head. Brilliant clear amber gold color. Head faded to half an inch in 2 minutes leaving a nice cap that persisted and coated the glass as it emptied.

S- First thing I noticed was piney hops and then malty sweetness and maybe alcohol. After that some grapefruit.

T- Taste is clean, slightly tart up front with a smooth hoppy grapefruit finish. The alcohol is present but subtle.

M- Round and rich, medium body. Gentle carbonation.

O- This is like a showcase for hops which are wonderfully aromatic and flavorful without excessive bitterness. The hops are nicely balanced by the malt and perhaps the alcohol content. The grapefruit nose comes through in the taste and is a real plus for me. This is one I plan to put in the cart when I find it.

03-14-2012 21:41:58 | More by mschind
threeviews

Poured from a 22oz bottle (bottled on date: 2/29/2012, 12:15) into a Riedel 14oz tulip

A- Pours an absolutely clear, sunset orange with a healthy 1-2 finger, white, soapy head with only moderate retention. Although no lacing to speak of, this beer produces pronounced alcohol legs... no surprise with an ABV of 9.5%.

S- Hops for days! Gobs of sweet citrus and tropical fruit: orange, tangerine, ruby red grapefruit, mango and pineapple all mingle to create a wonderful olfactory experience.

T- Sweet citrus on the front of the palate followed by gradually intensifying white grapefruit rind finish which begs you for nothing more than another sip. This is one dangerous brew, as the alcohol is completely masked by the aroma and flavor.

M- Despite carbonation not streaming up from the sides of the glass, my palate is met with a lively carbonation which only helps to enhance the intensity of the bitterness.

O- A really, really solid Imperial IPA and one that lives up to the hype (and just as good as I remember from the one sample I had on tap nearly a year ago). If I needed to draw a comparison, it is eerily similar to that of Lagunitas' Imperial Red in appearance, aroma but with a slightly higher bitter/dry finish. At almost $8 for a 22oz bottle, I would choose the Lagunitas offering simply for the value factor. However, if you have yet to sample Double Jack, do yourself a favor and treat yourself to at least one.

04-20-2012 01:38:37 | More by threeviews
NarrowG8

I've never given a 100 before, but -

A - looks like a light beer but with shine and begging to be slurped down.

S - sounds weird but soapy, grapefruit & toffee (some sort of sweet that is light)

T - Piney, grapefruit, acorn, biscuit, clementine, bubblegum

M - Almost like a champagne. Light with a slight stickiness

Something about this beer ... I was looking for an IPA that wasn't over the top and had some balance but still gave you some great hop forward taste. This beer was overwhelmingly good. It was refreshing, tasteful, warming, comforting and amazingly delicious. I know this won't be a perfect experience for all; albeit, for me it just seemed so at the moment.

11-10-2012 03:32:54 | More by NarrowG8
memoarauz

So I stopped by my neighborhood store and the owner insisted I try my 1st! IPA, he highly recommended Firestone Double Jack and I've tried more since but I absolutely love this beer. Smell, taste are amazing and it does the job. Great for a poker night and just chillin around the house.

12-12-2012 20:39:16 | More by memoarauz
bianchibuddy

Colorado

I find all Firestone Walker beers to be of only the highest quality in all respects from packaging to bottom of the glass lacing. I put them in the A+ category for everything they do. Double Jack is no acception and in this fine product I find true beer utopia.

I buy the 4 packs and find the packaged good finish to present very well from labeling to the caps with the lion head on two and the bears heads on two. Very high class even before you crack a bottle!

I love the first whiff I get once the bottle is opened, the pour, the color, oh and the taste! Everything about this beer makes me happy and I want one right now!

My wife thinks the cost at just over $3 per bottle is kinda steep, but I would pay the same or more for a lesser quality beer at my local brewery. I think it is a good investment as I generally only drink a single bottle in a sitting. I have enjoyed two in a sitting and love the after effect!

If you have not had the luxury of a Double Jack, do yourself a favor and pick up a 4 pack!

05-10-2013 00:08:51 | More by bianchibuddy
BeerAficionadoMCMXC

This beer is following an Inversion IPA from Deschutes which was slightly cloying and unimpressive.

DBLJACK:

The nose is phenomenal. Sweet resin, light fruit, and a strong pine are the notes.
Tastes incredibly balanced. Very light and not cloying. Some lingering bitterness.
Light. PtY from 2013 may be a bit lighter.
Well done Firestone. The price of the bottle (8%) is worth the beer.

A must try.

01-28-2014 07:59:47 | More by BeerAficionadoMCMXC
buzzardman

Aroma: sweet caramel, citrusy/grapefruit hops.

Appearance: perfect clear amber, Nice size slightly off white head that drops thin layer.

Flavor: Caramel malt, grapefruit hoppiness. Clean bitter finish not overly bitter. Great balance of sweet malt to citrusy hops. No detection of the 9.5% abv.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, medium to low carbonation, smooth drinkability, dry finish.

Overall: one of my top go to DIPA's. The flavor the hops put out is amazing very floral citrusy, lots of grapefruit and the sweetness from the malt is just perfect. Love that this beer is so easy to find now. $6.99 at 7/11

02-10-2014 03:30:11 | More by buzzardman
pjkelley82

4.99/5  rDev +14.7%

Had this (along with other dipa's) at a East VS. West Dipa Head to Head Showdown I hosted on 8/27/13

Round 1 East - Captain lawrence CIIPA. West - Double Jack

Double jack I personally love and is one of maybe 3 beers I buy again and again because I'm always trying to drink new stuff. Its the beer I tell Dipa heads to buy and if it wasn't for heady would be my favorite Dipa overall. So delicious it is with perfect hop / alcohol / sweetness for my liking. For the round captain lawrence won the overall appearance and smell but trust me... Double Jack is the most underated beer you'll ever try.

06-13-2013 00:43:09 | More by pjkelley82
sevenarts

4.98/5  rDev +14.5%

A: Crystal-clear golden orange, beautiful. Fluffy white head that quickly fades to a skim of bubbles and just a little lacing.

S: Very strong and hoppy: grapefruit, citrus, flowery hops, really intense and rich. Fantastic smell.

T/M: As delicious as it smells: big hop flavors up front, balancing floral flavors with lots of citrus, a little bitter and mouth-puckering. Crisp and dry, finishes with more of that delicious hoppy flavor.

O: An amazing, strong but not overwhelming DIPA. One of the best I've had.

03-29-2012 23:34:11 | More by sevenarts
ETCO2

4.98/5  rDev +14.5%

I only drink IPAs if possible given the state of my current taste buds and I would rate this beer above Pliney or Sculpin, two of my past favorites. I have had it many times in the bottle and many times on draft. It is a beer that is sensitive to age as many of the IPA s are and if mistreated will begin to show its fruity side quickly. The ability of what seems to be mostly west coast brewers to make a balanced IPA at 9.5% without any significant alcohol sweetness amazes me and I wish east coast brewers could match the taste.I really would prefer less alcohol but its stablemate, Union Jack is not hoppy or bitter enough for my palate although still another excellent beer.

06-19-2012 08:52:02 | More by ETCO2
thehosh

Colorado

4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

What a beer. It is a DIPA weekend for me - in my fridge, Myrcenary, Pliny and Double Jack are holding court. I began Friday night with the Double Jack.

Bomber poured into a New Belgium Globe.

A: gorgeous. amber, yellow, plenty of interesting hues.

S: Over the top. So much rich pineyness. Very pineapple at first. A couple more smells you find a refined pine. Sweet.

T: I would put this on the same taste profile level as Nugget Nectar and also similar to 90 minute. Very powerful hops at first, not overwhelming just definitive. But it quickly succumbs to a pleasant sweetness.

M: Perfect. Not too much to say here, the balance of this beer shows through here. Extremely drinkable. (That bomber didn't last very long and I was flying solo...) Less beligerent than some DIPAs.

O: This beer on first taste became one of my top beers. It is distinct from Pliny and/or Blind Pig, which will remain my favorite DIPAS. However, this is a different change of pace, which is very nice. I will seek this beer out as much as possible and won't be disappointed.

10-22-2011 17:25:07 | More by thehosh
mindspin315

4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

Double Jack has absolutely nothing that you can't love about it. Crystal clear orange body with a big solid almost white head.

Aroma is like you've ventured out and decided to walk through a forest filled with pine trees. Lots of pine, mango, grapefruit, pineapple, and a nice malty backbone. Mild herbal, floral, and vegetal aromas come through as well. Everything is blended amazingly and so many different aromas can be picked out.

Sweet tropical fruits/massive pine hit the taste buds right away. Bitterness takes a moment to come through and the dryness steps in towards the finish. The dry aspect makes you want to keep drinking more. A mild floral/herbal/rye taste blend well with the dryness at the end. A taste bud explosion!

Double Jack is one of the best DIPA's out there. Flavors rush over the palate and the mouthfeel is such a highlight here. From start to finish you're left with flavors/textures to enjoy. Firestone is crafting the best of the best and Double Jack is another testament to them.

[100/100]

12-03-2011 07:11:58 | More by mindspin315
krustster

4.96/5  rDev +14%

Yeaaahhh maannn... uaaahhh god man. Gorgeous copper/gold color with a decent sized head full of big bubbles that still sticks around for a good while. For an IPA (or DIPA I guess) this is about as pretty as a beer can get.

Smell is full of fruity hops, the best kind of hops. Lightly floral with a big blast of tropical and citrus fruit aromas. Just enough of the pine smells to balance out the fruit. Incredibly good smell on this one.

Taste is an explosion of fruity and floral flavors. Grapefruit, orange, mango (I saw the reviews mentioning the supposed mango taste and I didn't believe it, but it's there) and floral uh... flowers... with bitterness that's restrained but still assertive enough to remind you that this is pale ale and also balance out the fruity flavors. I'm really blown away. At nearly 10% ABV there's also no trace of heat. I thought this would be a lot more bitter, but the balance is incredible.

Mouth feel is crisp, just enough carbonation, not sticky or overly heavy, I'm not really used to reviewing "lighter" beers so I'm not sure how to describe it. It does seem just right, however.

Overall, this is an utterly incredible DIPA beverage. It took me a while to get into the hoppy drinks, but I feel like if I'd had something of this caliber off the bat I would have gone nuts over it immediately. The main thing holding me back originally was the bitterness, and this one totally nails it. Founders Double Trouble hit the same notes for me; this one is just on a slightly higher level. Amazing!!!

12-14-2013 04:21:18 | More by krustster
crossovert

4.95/5  rDev +13.8%

New to the Chicago market. 650ml bomber proclaiming the 2011 World Beer Cup Mid-Size Brewery Champion.

It pours a beautiful color. It is a clear copper/orange with a big foamy white head that slowly recedes with some nice lacing.

The smell is fuckin incredible, it is orgasmic. It has the smooth scent of tropical fruits and citrus, pure hops.

The flavor is much more resiny with both pine and citrus rind. There is some dankness and some tropical fruit too. It has a ncie bitterness, not ultra-high, but up there. The malt is a perfect backing giving off a subtle sweetness but not overpowering the hops.

This is one glorious, glorious beer.

02-09-2011 04:42:10 | More by crossovert
werdnacross

4.95/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured on tap at Ladyface alehouse in agoura hills into a 10 oz snifter.

A- Dark straw color with a slight cloudiness from the yeast.

S- Strong hoppy presence. Grapefruit and citrus smells fill the air.

T- Malty, hoppy and citrusy. Extremely delicious

M- Strong alcohol presence but very well rounded. Goes down smooth. Very delicious.

O- Overall one of the better DIPA's I've ever had. Extremly delicious and will make this one of my go too's for the future.

03-20-2011 00:02:27 | More by werdnacross
Oakenator

4.95/5  rDev +13.8%

Sweet yet spicey. Citrus and pines. Good balance. Yellow to brown blouse when held up to a window. Very fine carbonation. The lacing on the glass is unique - doesn't fall off but also not webbed. Nose is orange and pine sap. Some malt syrup is present via the pine sap. Taste is sweet at first with a grade A maple syrup and the. Quickly spices with the hops.

09-07-2012 18:01:45 | More by Oakenator
bball208

4.94/5  rDev +13.6%

This is a REALLY stellar IPA. Very smooth, you don't notice the alcohol AT ALL. Sounds crazy, but try drinking this IPA from the bottle and it actually tastes much better. It is definitely a unique IPA, stands out from other great IPAs. Bro in law said this actually tastes better than heady topper (in his opinion). I've tried this 4 times, and each time it has tasted better and better.

Review #2: So my parents don't drink alcohol. I tried getting them into craft beers with the notion of, drink not to get drunk, but just to taste the goodness. So they did, and I started with the double jack, and they were convinced at first sip that they want to learn more about beers. Firestone, I love you.

04-02-2014 19:16:04 | More by bball208
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

4.93/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep golden brown color, with a large off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is an excellent blend of floral hops, fruity citrus sweetness and caramelized malts.

T: The taste is very nicely balanced and starts with a strong burst of grassy hops bitterness that is quickly followed by a complementary citrus and caramel sweetness. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy. The after-taste is hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Extremely tasty, goes down dangerously easy, not too filling, very well-disguised 9.50% ABV kick, excellent representation of style, this beer is right up there with the best ones that I’ve ever had.

06-07-2011 01:41:59 | More by TheManiacalOne
vobr0002

4.93/5  rDev +13.3%

A- clear amber with thick white head that dissapates into a thin coating on top of the beer.

S- big citrus aroma slight pine. lots of tropical fruits. Smells absolutely amazing!

T- more pine on the taste than the smell. Still lots of tropical fruits and a slight bready flavor. Very nice.

M- medium light body with good amount of carbonation for the style.

O- this is a great example of a double IPA. I want more of this! im kind of sad I shared half the bottle with my wife! :-)

03-01-2012 02:29:12 | More by vobr0002
Clonies720

4.93/5  rDev +13.3%

Appearance: Pours a clear, brillant gold. White head that looks like Swiss cheese. Very little to no lacing.

Aroma: Big nose of citrus and pine. Pleasant, sweet malts. Tropical fruity esters, like pineapple. Loads of bitter hops.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a medium high carbonation that is crisp and refreshing. I was expecting a full-bodied beer for 9.5% ABV. Coat-the-mouth oily hop bitterness. Loving the citrus taste here.

Overall: A near perfect example of an Imperial India Pale Ale. Hops weren't as bright and clean, but that's probably because the beer is nearly a month and a half old. Would definitely buy again if I could find it.

04-12-2013 21:57:36 | More by Clonies720
Double Jack from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.