Double Jack - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Double JackDouble Jack

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: ThreeWiseMen on 06-25-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Jack Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,014 | Reviews: 1,350

This beer pours a clear golden yellow color, with a thick and fluffy light khaki head. The head fades very slowly, leaving a massive lacing.

This beer has a nice grassy hop aroma. Some citrus grapefruit mixes in. This beer has a slightly piney aroma also. No traces of the 9.5 percent ABV.

This beer tastes much like it smells. Grassy up front, with a lot of grapefruit. Just a bit of sweet caramel mixes in with the flavor. As with the aroma, the alcohol is well masked.

This beer is full bodied. It is criso, and refreshing. It leaves a grassy aftertaste.

This beer would make an excelent session beer if the alcohol content wasnt so high. It is too easy to forget that this is a high alcohol beer.

Overall: Great beer. I really like a grassy IPA or DIPA. It kind of reminds me of Apline Beer Companys Duet. As that is one of my favorite beers, this one definately ranks up there.

So I stopped by my neighborhood store and the owner insisted I try my 1st! IPA, he highly recommended Firestone Double Jack and I've tried more since but I absolutely love this beer. Smell, taste are amazing and it does the job. Great for a poker night and just chillin around the house.

When Jesus wept, this is what his tears tasted like...

I've never given a 100 before, but -

A - looks like a light beer but with shine and begging to be slurped down.

S - sounds weird but soapy, grapefruit & toffee (some sort of sweet that is light)

T - Piney, grapefruit, acorn, biscuit, clementine, bubblegum

M - Almost like a champagne. Light with a slight stickiness

Something about this beer ... I was looking for an IPA that wasn't over the top and had some balance but still gave you some great hop forward taste. This beer was overwhelmingly good. It was refreshing, tasteful, warming, comforting and amazingly delicious. I know this won't be a perfect experience for all; albeit, for me it just seemed so at the moment.

Fantastic beer all around.

By far one of the best ipa's i have had

I find all Firestone Walker beers to be of only the highest quality in all respects from packaging to bottom of the glass lacing. I put them in the A+ category for everything they do. Double Jack is no acception and in this fine product I find true beer utopia.

I buy the 4 packs and find the packaged good finish to present very well from labeling to the caps with the lion head on two and the bears heads on two. Very high class even before you crack a bottle!

I love the first whiff I get once the bottle is opened, the pour, the color, oh and the taste! Everything about this beer makes me happy and I want one right now!

My wife thinks the cost at just over $3 per bottle is kinda steep, but I would pay the same or more for a lesser quality beer at my local brewery. I think it is a good investment as I generally only drink a single bottle in a sitting. I have enjoyed two in a sitting and love the after effect!

If you have not had the luxury of a Double Jack, do yourself a favor and pick up a 4 pack!

My favorite beer above all! I wish I could get this in Texas! It starts with a wonderful a tropical fruit, watermelon, lemons, oranges and mango and a hit of grapefruit. The middle is a sweet and a slight malty flavor, with honey and caramel. It ends a little bitter and dry. The way it should.

This beer is following an Inversion IPA from Deschutes which was slightly cloying and unimpressive.

DBLJACK:

The nose is phenomenal. Sweet resin, light fruit, and a strong pine are the notes.
Tastes incredibly balanced. Very light and not cloying. Some lingering bitterness.
Light. PtY from 2013 may be a bit lighter.
Well done Firestone. The price of the bottle (8%) is worth the beer.

A must try.

The smell definitely reminds me of Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA with that very fruity slick hop smell with sweetness in there as well. It just smells fantastic though with the tropical fruity cake just beaming off the hops and malts they use. It has a thick mouth feel with that fruitiness and piney hop flavors just smacking you in the face and then leaving you with some citric herbal piney bitterness. The alcohol comes through on the swallow not in taste but in feel more than anything. The sweetness I'd account to the very tropical fruity hops and the sweet malts they use.

I like that there is a malt taste in here that really reminds me of Dogfish Head 90 minute. All around this could fool me for a Dogfish Head beer actually. Some people say this doesn't have that much bitterness and yeah in comparison to others its not a bitter bomb but it does hold its own and backs up the hop flavors with that citric herbal and piney bitterness that we all love. Is it the best Imperial IPA ever? I'd say this, Dogifish Head 90 Minute and Hop Stoopid are some of the best I've had. This highly holds up to every Imperial in the style and maybe even ties for my favorite ever.

One of the best double IPA's in the world, year round release, easy to find, what more do you want??

One of my all time favorite DIPA! could kick Pliny s ass in a fight

What can I say? The most complex, fruitiest DIPA I’ve ever tasted, and the fruitiest unfruited beer I’ve tasted since Stille Nacht 1996 Reserve. Among the detectable fruity esters, there are grapefruit, mandarin orange, tangerine, peach, plum, agave nectar, cherry, mango, kiwi, lemon, lime, marion berry, and strawberry. The finish is luxuriously long, and that seltzer quality slightly dries out the finish, and really adds a sprightly tingle. Add to this a great malt backbone that has a fruitiness all its own with a substantial body (similar to Hercules, but not as syrupy and weighty. The floral hoppiness in this beauty almost rivals the Plinys, and after awhile a seltzery saltiness develops, and while I’m not normally a fan of seltzer, it works perfectly here, and leaves one craving another taste. Perfection.

a- a beautiful almost amber color with a nice off white head, plenty of lacing. on a side note appearence does not matter much to me with beer.

s- wow this is where we start to get into the beauty of this beer. the smell is slick and oily hops.

t- oh my this is amazing! tastes like glorious oily hops. what a doudle IPA should taste like.

m- the mouthfeel is exceptioanlly smooth and the resiny oils of the hops coat the palate. this beer is great after your meal to refresh and tantalize the palate.

o- really this is one of the best beers ive had in awhile. i work in a bar that speacializes in rare and high end beers and this is one of the few that has really impressed me. If you can try this on tap do it!!!

I bought a bottle to cellar for a year or two and see what happens.

(A ) Nice 2" soapy head that lingers for a few minutes and settles into a nice creamy froth. Good lacing. Color is a bright and light Orange. Very clear, no haze whatsoever.

(S) Lots of citrus, pine, flowers and resin. Very, very nice.

(T) Grapefruit, pine and nice floral notes are there and the bitterness comes out balanced well by a subtle malt sweetness. I can def taste some of the 9+% alcohol in this one but its not overwhelming by any means. Pretty balanced. One of the best IIPA's Ive had.

(M) Body is heavier then I thought from the appearance. Very sooth and easy to drink. Nothing to complain about here!

Overall its a really, really good IIPA. As far as CA IIPA's go, Id say this the best one thats pretty easily available in bottles. I really cant believe that BA has Sucks and Enjoy By rated higher than this. its not even close. This beer is way better then either of those.

Picked up on a whim from Julio's. Saw it and though "hey, I havent had Firestone yet". The sell point for me was the date on the case "packaged on 2/10/11". Yeah, should still be nice and fresh, one bottle please. Now I have to buy more.

A - Poured into a Duvel tulip a wonderful golden copper colour with a fluffy 2 finger head that very, very slowly faded to leave sticky lacing. Wow.

S - WOW. Another user was right, lots of bubblegum and grapefruit citrus aromas. Thats it really, no malts or anything just WHAM in your face grapefruit, bubblegum, and tropical. This is by far the most intensely aromatic DIPA I've ever drank.

T - Sweet mother of mercy! I imagine, because this is so goddamn fresh, its as delicious as it is. Lots of grapefruit and tropical hop flavours here. There is a little malt sweetness but the middle and end is ALL grapefruit and topical notes. This flavour, this spectacular flavour makes me want to drink this nonstop. My god this is good.

M - This is the only iffy area for this beer. I knew right off the bat this beer was getting 5's in all categories, but the mouthfeel, this one I had to think about. Gotta do it though. The feel its just crisp enough. That nice tingle right up front with a very nice finish. Not syrupy really. I'd like more carbonation (just a lil), however, thats damn near impossible with this ABV. If this was an IPA, it would only be say, a 4/4.5 but for a double with this ABV, yeah, gotta do it.

D - Yeah, everything above compounds into something spectacular. I've had alot of DIPA but this, this one shatters them all. I cant think of anything this can improve on. Outstanding aromas here, the flavour is a ridiculously close second but the aroma, man oh man. Its the freshness of the bottle that makes this rank incredibly high for me, it has to be, I mean, the smell cant be THAT intense some months down the road can it?? This is a 9.5 ABV and I'm drinking this like its some absurdly low number. What's this? The bottle is gone already? Damnit!

This is my favorite Double IPA... I love everything about it.

Poured from a 22oz bottle (bottled on date: 2/29/2012, 12:15) into a Riedel 14oz tulip

A- Pours an absolutely clear, sunset orange with a healthy 1-2 finger, white, soapy head with only moderate retention. Although no lacing to speak of, this beer produces pronounced alcohol legs... no surprise with an ABV of 9.5%.

S- Hops for days! Gobs of sweet citrus (orange, tangerine, ruby red grapefruit) and tropical/stone fruits (apricot, peach and mango) with hints of resiny pine all mingle to create a wonderful olfactory experience.

T- Sweet citrus on the front of the palate followed by stone fruit sweetness and finishing with an intensifying white grapefruit rind bitterness. You are left with a dryness that begs for nothing more than another sip. This is one dangerous brew, as the alcohol is completely masked by the aroma and flavor.

M- Despite carbonation not streaming up from the sides of the glass, my palate is met with a lively carbonation which only helps to enhance the intensity of the bitterness.

O- A masterfully concocted Imperial IPA and one that lives up to the hype. At almost $8 for a 22oz bottle, I might choose Lagunitas' Hop Stoopid as an 'everyday' offering. However, when I stumble upon this fresh (i.e. 1-2 months from BOD), Double Jack is a must! If you are a fan of hoppy beers and have not yet sampled Double Jack, do yourself a favor and treat yourself to at least one...it is worth every penny.

Aroma: sweet caramel, citrusy/grapefruit hops.

Appearance: perfect clear amber, Nice size slightly off white head that drops thin layer.

Flavor: Caramel malt, grapefruit hoppiness. Clean bitter finish not overly bitter. Great balance of sweet malt to citrusy hops. No detection of the 9.5% abv.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, medium to low carbonation, smooth drinkability, dry finish.

Overall: one of my top go to DIPA's. The flavor the hops put out is amazing very floral citrusy, lots of grapefruit and the sweetness from the malt is just perfect. Love that this beer is so easy to find now. $6.99 at 7/11

22 oz bottle dated 3-5-12

A- A gentle pour into a chalice produced a foamy, off white three finger head. Brilliant clear amber gold color. Head faded to half an inch in 2 minutes leaving a nice cap that persisted and coated the glass as it emptied.

S- First thing I noticed was piney hops and then malty sweetness and maybe alcohol. After that some grapefruit.

T- Taste is clean, slightly tart up front with a smooth hoppy grapefruit finish. The alcohol is present but subtle.

M- Round and rich, medium body. Gentle carbonation.

O- This is like a showcase for hops which are wonderfully aromatic and flavorful without excessive bitterness. The hops are nicely balanced by the malt and perhaps the alcohol content. The grapefruit nose comes through in the taste and is a real plus for me. This is one I plan to put in the cart when I find it.

This is in my top 2 of Imp IPA'S. My awesome wife got me a log of it for father day last yr. Best gift ever!

This is simply the best IIPA that I have had.

One of my favorite IPAs.

4.99/5  rDev +15%

Had this (along with other dipa's) at a East VS. West Dipa Head to Head Showdown I hosted on 8/27/13

Round 1 East - Captain lawrence CIIPA. West - Double Jack

Double jack I personally love and is one of maybe 3 beers I buy again and again because I'm always trying to drink new stuff. Its the beer I tell Dipa heads to buy and if it wasn't for heady would be my favorite Dipa overall. So delicious it is with perfect hop / alcohol / sweetness for my liking. For the round captain lawrence won the overall appearance and smell but trust me... Double Jack is the most underated beer you'll ever try.

4.98/5  rDev +14.7%

One of my favorites. Great double

Double Jack from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.