Double Jack - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Double JackDouble Jack

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: ThreeWiseMen on 06-25-2009

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Jack Alström Bros
4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

This is a good beer. I have had beers I enjoy more, but overall this beer is well balanced and I am happy that I had the opportunity to try it. Fortunately I live in an area that is close enough to a state that carries this beer. I would like to try other beers from these guys. I had never really heard of them prior to Beer Camp, even though that beer wasn't all that spectacular, this one was.

Color: Golden straw color with a slight bit of reddish hue to it. Virtually no head to speak of and settled into a light lacing when allowed to sit for a few minutes.

Smell: Maybe it was me, but I didn't get a lot from the nose. It was not as pungent as some other West Coast beers that I have had. Maybe its their style or maybe the beer was losing some of the aroma due to age. I do live on the East Coast and this beer was marked for bottling at the end of May. It is now approaching September. 3 months shouldn't be that big of a deal, but the fresher the better with hop driven beers.

Taste: Nice balance, hops are still present but much like in the aroma they are not as dominant as other West Coast beers. I recently drank a Hop Stoopid that was just as old or older than this one and the hops remained for the most part intact. This beer was a bit boozy for me also, of course at 9.5% you should expect some alcohol. However, other brewers hide it better.

Overall: This was a solid experience. Better than most, but not as good as others. Its a solid above average beer but not in the mind blowing category.

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A- Orange golden in color, my pour left no head and limited effervescence. This may be due to my first attempt at using an oversized wine glass. (Pretty sure I need to buy IPA glasses)

S- While sense of smell is clearly my nemesis, I sense floral notes and high alcohol citrus.

T- This DIPA is bringing the bitterness and doesn't seem to go out of its way to cover that with any sweetness. I do sense a little honey flavor without any of the sweetness that you would expect with that. Definitely some citrus going on as well.

M- This has a clean and slightly astringent mouthfeel, not sensing any oiliness. The crispness that was lacking in my glass is present in the mouthfeel, leading me to believe that my pouring/glassware didn't do this ale any favors.

O- I have a stout in the fridge in order to break up the delicious DIPA/IPA streak that I've been on. I am enjoying this ale but it isn't standing out over the others.

3.83/5  rDev -11.8%

Who knew? the local tribal smokeshop/casino/liquor store has stepped it up. Five new coolers with a solid selection of craft, Double Jack yells out, jumps into my arm, into the truck, into my heart.

I crack it open while cooking caramelizing some onions, making cornbread, celebrating a lazy sunday afternoon. The afternoon is waning and the sun heading off, the farm relaxes and I see the peach colored liquid, crystal clarity topped with a whipped cream head. Sexy. One of the best looking DIPAs to grace my humble little cabin.

Smells verdant, rich and, dare I say, Dank. Humid nugs of hop resin with a hair of a harshness. Tastes beautiful, too much sweetness compared to the mild yet harsh bitterness. I would say it heads more to the pine and herbal sides of hoppiness than the citrus or tropical fruit side, a fine deviation from my Pliny forays.

A great beer, not The Great beer but deserving a seat on the greater pantheon of brews.

Firestone-Walker - Keep on staying damned sexy.

3.5/5  rDev -19.4%

Double Jack from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.