Double Jack - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Double JackDouble Jack

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: ThreeWiseMen on 06-25-2009

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Jack Alström Bros
4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

4.77/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottled on 2/9/13. I little past its prime. But can't get in Iowa so take what you can get.

A: Rather clear amber color, reminds me of the mosquito cane from Jurassic Park. Small, white head.

S: Grapefruit rind gives way to orange blossom. Just my style.

T: Grapefruit dominates, fades to floral alcohol but mildly.

M: Less malt than most DIPA I've had lately. A bit on the lighter side. I'd imagine more carbonation and crispness if this was super fresh.

O: I will get this again! Wish I had more than one. I would recommend to those who like west coast DIPAs.

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

4.15/5  rDev -4.4%

The bottling date was 2/19/2013. I bought this bottle within a week of the expiration of the 120 day freshness period that Firestone Walker recommends for enjoying this delectable IPA so I must say that my scores may need an asterisk as I did not drink it until 6/17/2013.

Appearance was very nice and clean as the beer was a clear yellow-orange and smelled particularly hoppy and a distinct alcohol bite was present. Taste seemed more bitter than the reported IBU level would suggest but was still fantastic and had a very nice sweet citrus taste after the hops did their work.

I picked this beer up because it's not seen often in VA. I only wish I had found it before it had already been almost four months since bottling, that may have changed this one way or another so I write this review with full understanding that it may be skewed.

I was working on my own 10 point scale and gave this an 8.5/10. I tried t have the score on here reflect that.

4.42/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

22oz bottle dated 5/17/13 -- thanks to the employee at Whole Foods who made sure I got a fresh bottle today.

A: Pours a clear deep golden color with a half finger of off-white fluffy head that quickly dissipates to a film.

S: Overwhelmingly citrusy -- so much grapefruit in this one. Citrusy hop character up front and a little bit of malt showing through behind. Very appealing, but sort of one-dimensional... this is a grapefruit bomb.

T: Taste follows the nose... lots of grapefruit and a little bit of malt. The finish is strongly bitter and lingering. Mildly earthy, but dominatingly citrusy. The alcohol is well masked for a 9.5abv DIPA.

M: Clean, crisp, and refreshing. The malt in this is lighter than many other DIPAs in the 9-11abv range, and the result is that it isn't cloying. Just a crsip, drinkable, bitter beer. Plenty of carbonation.

O: very good. All I wanted tonight was hops and something refreshing to drink and this delivered in a wonderful way. I'm always slightly put off by the $8 bomber, but never disappointed once I've got it in my possession. I will continue to drink this -- it's one of the best easily obtainable DIPAs out there. It is a little bit one dimensional and is unapologetic about it, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

3.5/5  rDev -19.4%

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

Double Jack from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.