Double Jack - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Double JackDouble Jack

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: ThreeWiseMen on 06-25-2009

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Jack Alström Bros

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

4.34/5  rDev 0%

A: Light Amber with a very clean whit head, one finger tall.

S: The Smell is quite striking the pine hops poured out as soon as i cracked the cap loose, simply amazing smell; alcohol, earthy floral tones highlighted by citrus (grapefruit) and grassy hops.

T: Bitterness, HOPS, a nice alcohol warmth underneath the hops (kinda sweet taste to it), grass very sweet and a nice hint of pineapple.

O: A excellant double IPA the mouthfeel is quite nice a smoothness to it. I would put this up there as one of the better DIPA i've been lucky enough to try.

4.13/5  rDev -4.8%

22oz bottle in pilsner glass (hotel in Chicago)
date = 8/29/11

A: Crystal clear golden color with a one finger white head. It looks like a Pils, nice amount of lace (somewhat surprising given the alcohol level).
S: Citrus hops, a little bit of floral, some malt sweetness. Reminds me a little of Hopslam
T: Sharp, but not painful bitterness, lots of citrus, some tropical fruits, a little bit of honey-like sweetness. A slight metallic taste on the back of the tongue.
M: Crisp, but I would like a little more attenuation, lots of carbonation, not cloying at all. A little oily, makes it seem rounder than it really is.
O: An excellent DIPA, nowhere near a barleywine (that's a good thing). I had no problem finishing the bottle by myself. I would really like to try this fresh vs. 4 months old. There are still lots of hops, but I'll bet there were more 3 months ago. Highly recommended.

3.5/5  rDev -19.4%

3.5/5  rDev -19.4%

3.67/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured from a 22oz bomber with a bottling date of 6/24/11. The initial pour resulted in a one finger head, that faded quickly with some mild lacing. The beer is a light orange color and bit cloudy. The smell is citrus and piney. Not an overly powerful aroma, but very pleasant. The taste follows the smell. Lots of bitter citrus flavors. I was hopping for a little bit more of a hop punch, but the bottle is almost 7 months old. It is still good, but I can't help but think that I am not tasting what the brewer intended. The mouthfeel is almost oily with a fair amount of carbonation.

This was a very nice beer, but I wish I could have found the bottling date in the store. It was black ink stamped on the neck of the brown bottle. Either way, I would like to try this before some of the hops

3.88/5  rDev -10.6%

Thanks to my lovely wife for shipping this bottle, among others, back from her recent trip to New York. Guess I better split it with her! Poured into twin pint glasses. I can't believe I'm having a beer after the hedonistic excesses of last night. I'm an idiot.

Lovely beer, like polished copper breastplate. Nose is quieter, citrus, sweet malt, a few undefined fruits.

Double Jack is sticky sticky sticky. Before any impression even forms, I'm trying to strip the Elmer's gumming up my gums. Slow-flowing hop resin oozes into my mouth, bringing with it a sharp bitterness. Tailgating the bitterness is the hop flavors, intensely wet pine that almost veers into fruitiness. Big huge sweet malts calm the hops & carry more balance into the finish (too bad, I was enjoying the hoppy punishment). I could see using this for a palate cleanser, because it's washing away the taste of everything I've had in the past week. Other than the angry bile of my bitterness, of course.

Very good IIPA. The hops are insanely lecherous. Without the big malts, this would be a truly elite beer, but I'm very happy the way it is.

3.97/5  rDev -8.5%

Reviewed Jan 7 2012

A: Golden orange, 1.5 finger head, little rising carbonation, transparent.
S: Honey malt, peach hops, w/ a hair of fishiness
T: Well balanced and contained. Honey malt with not such a sharp hop edge. Mild bitterness. Mark of quality, but I'm not swayed.
M: Mild but very pleasant carbonation.
O: Nice hops pull too muchbut very good for an AIPA.

4.7/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass at the Brass Rail Deli
Campbelltown, PA

A - Pours a beautiful clear golden orange with a two finger head that is sticking around pretty well. Ton of carbonation streaming up from the glass. Great looking beer!

A - Could smell it from three feet away. Beautiful floral hop profile. Also picking up tropical fruit aromas. Wish I had this one in a snifter.

T - Wow, absolutely fantastic!!!! Wonderful floral and piney hops. The bitterness lingers.The sweetness comes through just enough to help balance out the extreme hop bitterness. Can't taste any alcohol but it does have a warming quality. Fantastic beer!

M - Medium body. Carbonated very well. Flavor duration is long.
Astringent and mouth watering.

O - Fantastic DIPA. Easily one of the best I've had.

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

Steve's bottle

Orange colour, ring of white head with some lace on the glass. Smell is full of citrus and tropical fruit, bright tangerine and orange, pineapple and to a lesser extent grapefruit, good malt presence and some lemon-lime scents as well. Taste follows the nose bursting with tropical fruit and citrus, tangerine, lemon, orange, lightly sweet malt rolls in around the middle, more tropical fruit flavours in the finish as well, just bitter enough. Oily, medium carbonation, medium-full body and quite slick. I really enjoyed this really drinkable stuff, solid DIPA, was told that this was purchased a while back but its so well made that the freshness wasn't an issue for me, could this be even more fruity when fresh? I know i will look for this next time i'm in the states though.

Bottle shared by Steve, 22oz into a snifter.

Poured a clear orange, with a transient white head. A light film and a tight collar retain atop this. Bright hops and citrus notes in the nose, floral with even a bit of tropical fruit suggestions. Lots of orange and tangerine really. Good malt character, I got a lot of caramel and toffee like sweetness. Taste is similar, chewy orange and tangerine notes with again, some tropical fruit leanings. Lots of malt in a sticky and sweet fashion, sets a good base for this beer. Profile isn't incredibly complex, but it's quite effective. Heavy medium mouthfeel, good chewiness and a moderate bitterness. Not the best freshness on this bottle I'd gather, bit the taste is well retained. I've love to revisit this fresher.

4.37/5  rDev +0.7%

Bottle dated 11-18-11. Reviewed about 2 months old.

Appearance: pours an orange/gold color. Nice lacing. medium carbonation. looks great!

Smell: Aroma is something to be said about all of Firestone's beers. Double Jack does not disappoint. Pine and citrus are strong with you.

Taste: Dry citrus and grape fruit flavors surround my tongue. Hops Hops Hops. Very clean and very tasty.

Mouthfeel: citrus hop goodness dancing on my taste buds. A lingering pleasantness of hops keeps me wanting more.

Overall: A very astounding DIPA. I have only had a handful in the past, but this is a style I prefer over others.

4.27/5  rDev -1.6%

22oz bottle poured into a tulip.

Deep, hazy orange copper color. A slightly tan, eggshell white head that builds to about a finger. Pretty good lacing once it settles.

Lots of pine in the nose. This promises to be a big, juicy, resiny DIPA. With all of the pine, I'm also picking up on a large malt backbone that will help keep the balance.

Oh yeah, lots of pine, but not up front. I caught citrus notes off the bat followed by a deep malt backbone. To finish up, I get a ton of pine and even a slight undertone of a booze burn and lemon-lime.

The mouthfeel is a little one dimensional. There is some malt in there but the hops and carbonation make it pretty pointed. Combining the bitterness and the carbonation can be a bit intense.

Overall, a pretty tasty DIPA. It's a sneaky brew for the ABV. I'd definitely buy this again but don't know if I could make it through more than a bottle in an evening for fear of what it would do to my palette.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Double Jack from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.