Double Jack - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Double JackDouble Jack

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: ThreeWiseMen on 06-25-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Jack Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

This one is great!! Most bitter IPA I have had since Devil Dancer!!! Pours a light copper/dark burnished gold color with a big white head. Head retreats to medium size but the retention is good at that point. Lacing is ladder like with thick bands.

Smell is potent and good. Mostly citrus and piney hops. Taste is great too. Blasts of mostly citrus but some piney hops. Not much balance experienced (or needed).

Mouthfeel is crisp and bitter. A hop-heads dream.

Overall this is a top-shelf DIPA experience

JayQue, Apr 01, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

My first try for this brewery. Pours a nice golden orange, with a thin head. Very nice lacing. Smell is great! Super Juicy. Great smells of pineapple, grapefruit, oranges. Taste is has great crisp bite, of hop and more juicy grapefruit. Nice tiny hit of bitter that keeps this a good thirst quencher. Very impressed at how well the alchohol is hidden. Maybe the best DIPA i have had as far as hiding the booze and making this a great drinker.
Go and get a bottle of this!

Liverpool08, Mar 31, 2011

A: deep orange, mild tan hue body, 1 finger head, delightful lacing

S: big citrus and earth/pine aroma, mild grass (wish the nose was a tad stronger)

T: sweet pineapple front, grassy/earthy middle, long slow bitter finish

M: med/heavy, fine sticky feel, smooth

O: Excellent Double IPA for the price, $8 a bomber!
Glad I gave this brewery a try,
not my #1 favorite DIPA, but still quite good.

SEEK THIS ONE OUT!

BeerLover99, Mar 31, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured from the 650ml. bottle into a over-sized wine glass.

The color is a somewhat clear, deep orange with two finger of foamy white head and some nice lacing left on the glass.

The smell is a very airy citrus hop aroma that reminds me a little of Pliny. There is a grassy aroma also coming up to meet my nose as well and that brings some malty sweetness with it as well.

The taste pops out and is creamy and sugary at first. The second sip has a big earthy taste to it with some bitterness wrapped in some citrus flavor. I am reminded of spree candy and how sweet they seem to be but are also a little bitter as well.

This beer really gives you some thing to talk about. The feel is slightly heavy but has a good amount of carbonation to wash away some bitterness and make light of the amount of alcohol in this beer. It seems to cushion the feel of this beer as it goes down so it feels smooth and not too big. IT has a pleasant bitterness and not a slam that rocks you off your foundation. One of the more well craft beers I have had. This beer has it in spades.

Duhast500, Mar 31, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured into oversized stemmed ale glass.

A- A clear golden with orange hue. A good bubbly head. The clearest IIPA i've ever seen. Decent lacing.

S- Wow, a blast of fresh sweet ripe pineapple. Soft caramel underneath. Like a tropical farmers market on a summer day.

T- Very similar to taste. Lots of ripe pineapple. A very solid caramel backbone. Hops give some bitterness that lingers. Some spice in finish. Becomes sweeter as warms.

M- Medium- big, Drying, slightly chewy. A slight resin and tingle on tongue. I would want it to be a bit more crisp.

O/D- No alc. A very good IIPA. Smell was great, taste was solid, just a little to much cloying caramel and sweetness for me. It was more on the balanced side.

busterthecat, Mar 31, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from a bomber. Bottle date of 2/10/11 so still plenty fresh. Have seen this on the shelf for a while, even had it on tap a couple times but now its time for a formal review.

A: Pours a dark orange, copper hue and a one inch head that retains quite well leaving thick oily bubbles and nice lacing on the glass.

S: As soon as I cracked the bottle I smelled intense hop aromas from two feet away. Closer examination brings fruity hops to the nose and some sweeter sharp hops as the beer warms. There is definitely a malt backbone present here as well.

T: It's hard to find a better taste than this. Fruity hops, sweet hops and malts, and somehow a balance between the two. Just the slightest bitter finish, which is perfect. The only two better DIPA's I have had are Pliny and Hopslam. I didn't review Hopslam because it was a surprise that I even got it on tap and I drank it too fast to remember. This stacks up with the best of the best.

M: The mouthfeel is thick and leaves a nice coating over the tongue, which is nice because I can keep the taste in my mouth even after it is empty.

O: Kudos to FW for distributing this. I am glad that it is available in most of FW's markets so people can get their hands on this. The unique aspect of this West Coast DIPA is that it is not strictly focused on hops. The malts of the beer are just as important, which shows the British influence of this brewery. A very nice interpretation. If you see it, buy it. This was a month and a half old and still outstanding. On tap it is even better. Drinks like a regular IPA.

There has been some comparison recently between this and other DIPA's and I gave my opinion above (because my opinion matters so much). IMHO, a better comparison is its little brother, Union Jack, but on steroids and with more balance. Really an amazing brew.

thatsfine, Mar 31, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +4.8%

22 oz bottle poured into my Karmeliet tulip glass. A thick foamy white head stands a little more than two fingers. Pretty thick strands of lace surround the glass. Body color is clear, dark reddish orange. This is a beautiful beer to look at.

Smell of fresh, piney hops are apparent from the first pour. As it settles the smell becomes a sweet, red grapefruit juice. There are little sharp notes of grapefruit zest and pine needles around the edges. The taste is a hop bomb in every way. Fresh citrus notes bounce around from grapefruit to tangerine. There is a sweet floral honeysuckle note. Malts have a dry sweetness to keep the hops bitterness in balance.

Mouthfeel is a full medium body with a mild stickiness. This drinks a little too well, the 9.5% ABV is not noticeable at all. It is so tasty it can be difficult to slow down. I will admit that it snuck up on me towards the end of the bottle.

bort11, Mar 30, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

Great looking head and lacing. Clear orange/yellow color. Slightly below average carbonation.

Smells really hoppy. Pine trees and a lot of fruit and some spring flowers.

Tastes really good. There is some malty sweetness to balance the aggressive hops in the body, then a little sweetness, then a slight dryness and bitterness in the aftertaste. I think that's likely caused by a combination of the alcohol and the hops.

Extremely, extremely drinkable for the ABV. The malts cover up the alcohol. Watch out! You can down it like a normal IPA.

jar2574, Mar 30, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +12.4%

Usually I have a double/imperial IPA and I am loving it on my first experience and by my second or third I am much less enamored. But this brand from Firestone Walker is just one beautiful beer that seems to hold up batch after batch.

Color: Visually appealing with a nice golden orange color.

Aroma: Dominated by tropical citrus and pine.
Taste: Hops hit right away (in a good way) and like the aroma, the flavors are those of sweet tropical fruit, pine, and light citrus. The caramel and pale malt sweetness sits in the middle of the experience and slowly fades to the end. Hop bitterness blends back in with malt and finish strong.

O - This DIPA was made for me. It is big, not overwhelming and surprisingly smooth. The hop presence is exactly what I wanted.

mkuderka, Mar 29, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours with a slightly creamy looking texture and a nice 1 inch white head. Color is golden with a slight copper hue (i'm sure there is an actual name for this color but I am blanking). Very clean looking beer.

A whole lot of pine in the nose, floral hops obviously there, but I come away with pine more than the citrus from the hops. As far as DIPAs go, this isn't an intensely floral one, but it certainly isn't muted.

Taste is lots of pine and grapefruit upfront, and a nice bitter finish (though not stringently so, as I thought Hoptimum was). While I wouldn't call it balanced per se, I wouldn't classify it as a hop bomb of a DIPA either. Just hits all the right notes for a big DIPA (for me anyway) without going nuts. Alcohol well hidden.

Mouthfeel is very smooth, and just as it looked, slightly creamy. Very easy to drink... bittnerness is not overwhelming to me, which goes a long way in making me feel like I would drink more than one.

Overall a really great example of the style. If I were to try to put it in relative terms with other "big" DIPAs, its kind of a slightly toned down PtE or Pure Hoppiness in terms of the intensity of the hop presense while still feeling very much like a west coast style DIPA. A beer I certainly will go back to if I can get my hands on it.

mechamifune, Mar 29, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Many thanks for this want, Chris! Having spent about 10 days on a truck in College Park, MD, I wasn't about to let it sit around in my fridge. Shared with a couple of friends with dinner tonight.

A clear amber, bright and crystal clear, with a dense, off-white head with excellent retention and average lacing. The nose is much better than I was expecting. Very hoppy with a blend of bright and candied citrus, there's orange, tropical fruit, candied orange and pineapple, all present. There's a definite malt backbone present, with some caramel, but the nose is dominated by the hops. The palate opens with an explosion of hop flavor, again it's candied oranges as well as fresh citrus and some tropical fruit. The malt is much more assertive on the palate, with a moderate caramel presence, along with some honey. The hop character is rather juicy, making this really enjoyable. Bitterness is moderate, rather surprisingly so for a DIPA this big. Mildly sweet on the finish with plenty of juicy hop flavor, this is excellent stuff. The mouthfeel is particularly excellent - soft and creamy on the palate, accentuating the hop flavor, this aspect was the best part of the beer IMO. While I'd pick the Union Jack over this more often than not, this is something I'd love to drink again, and fresh.

DefenCorps, Mar 29, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +6%

This beer was new at my local liquor store. I poured it into a curved pint glass from the Omegang brewery.

Appearance - The beer was a deep golden color, with a full head that caressed the sides of the glass.

Aroma - One of strong floral and hop notes. It was a sweet, hoppy nose mixed with honeysuckle. A bit of resin and grapefruit mixed well.

Taste:The power of this beer is evident in each part of the sip. It goes down with a strong bitter hoppiness that reminds me of chewing an Amarillo hop picked straight from the vine. the oils seemed to have been retained, and it blew up in my mouth as a sweet and fruity explosion. Very nice. It finsihed well, too. A little goes a long way with this beer. It's satisfying. Each and every sip.

Mouthfeel - Pleasantly sparkling, it feels dense and smooth, with a bit of thickness to it.

Overall - I loved this beer. It took me two nights to drink, and this double feature packed a wallop on my expectations of a double IPA. I think it's right up there with Maharaja.

chazmatz, Mar 29, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +4.4%

Served in a tulip glass from a 22oz bomber.

A: Bright in color, almost in between straw and gold, just very vibrant and appealing, also very clear no haze at all. There is a small head that forms just not over whelming, delicate lacing on the sides of the glass, all the way to the bottom.

S: Citrus hops, with the addition of some mango and tangerine in the background. And a light hint of pine resin also. The malt in this beer isn't present in the smell.

T: This beer progresses as it goes across the pallet, this isn't a smack in the face kind of DIPA like others west coast beers, this is more of a ballet between the hops and the malt. There is citrus hops (orange, tangerine, and some mango) also there is pine resin taste to this beer that just makes it pop. There is a decent about of caramel malt flavor in this beer, but it doesn't dominate or take away, it just adds.

M: Super smooth, not harsh at all. There is a prefect balance of hops and malt that make this an easy drink. The carbonation is perfect and makes it very enjoyable.

O: I think I found the beer that kills PtE and a lot of other good DIPAs, this is hands down one of the best crafted DIPAs on the market.

MrTopher, Mar 28, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +1.4%

I just reviewed this beer and it got erased.

Poured from a bomber into my trusty Duvel goblet. Bottled dated 01/07/11 making it over 2 months old.

Finger's worth of foam that reduces to a thick ring with some clouds in the middle. A strong orange, amber color with red notes. A very clear beer.

Loads of citrus in the nose. Orange, tangerine, and grapefruit dominate with notes of mango and lemon-lime. Lots of sweetness in the aroma. I hope this sweetness carries over into the taste. Small notes of alcohol, but, it's very subtle. (Found out a little late that this wasn't so fresh. I wish I found it a month ago. However, it still has a great aroma.)

The hops bitterness is thorough. It's strong, but, not abrasive to my tongue. I like a malty sweetness in my double IPAs and this one brings it. Caramel malts support the hoppiness well. A noticeable breadiness in the finish that I'm enjoying. The hops are the stronger, but, the malts are strong as well. A little alcohol is present, but, it is well hidden.

The mouthfeel is great. Not syrupy like some big beers. It isn't thin at all. A little chewy and leaves a nice coating in my mouth.

Definitely a drinkable beer. High drinkability. A bomber is the perfect amount. It provides two servings and satisfies anything that might've been missed in the first. These 22 ounces were very easy to put away.

Overall, this is a great beer that I'm glad I got to try. If anything was lacking, it might be a result of the bottle not being the freshest. However, if this time allowed the malts to come through, I'm glad I tried it with a couple months on it. Good stuff.

ajfa531, Mar 28, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

22oz bottle poured into a tulip glass. Bottled on 2/10/11. Pours a crystal clear golden amber color with one finger of foam and moderate carbonation. Good lacing. Delicious nose. Pineapple and tangerine. Hops are nice and fresh and the malt is forward enough to give it very good, sweet balance. Carbonation is too low, giving the mouthfeel a smooth but heavier than desirable texture. But the overall balance of the palate still makes it pretty easy to drink. Piny/grassy hops and just as sweet honey malt flavors. The hops are crisp and bright enough to lend some lightness to the beer but the malt profile is nearly as big as the hop. As such, it doesn't come across as bitter as you would expect and has an uncommonly clean finish that features very little in the way of resiny hops. Not the hop bomb style I prefer but certainly as good a DIPA as I have had with this amount of balance.

hoppyhampy, Mar 27, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +1.4%

A: Liquid gold. Vibrant and clear. Forms a large, fluffy and stable head that sits nicely upon the beer. Great lacing.

S: Lots of sweet citrus. Tangerine and orange.

T: Mildly sweet and honey-like. More citrus, predominantly orange, with a mild to moderate bitterness and a short finish.

M: So smooth I am so diggin it

D: A very nice citrus forward IIPA. I LOVE this brew dudes

nycbeerfreak, Mar 27, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

A- Pours clear orangeish copper color with one finger of bright white head. Head has great retention and sticks to the sides of the glass well.

S- Comes in with orange citrus, floral hops, a bit of pine, and some sweeter fruits like mango. Pure sweet malt on the back, sugary.

T- This follows the nose really well. A bit of orange hops, moving to tropical fruits, and then toffee and caramel malts. Get some warming booze in there too.

M- Medium to heavy, very chewy, a strong point on the beer.

D- Very solid with some complexity. Falls short of what I consider "elite", the malts are just too sweet, could be a cleaner flavor, hops are a bit muted. That said though, it's still a 'good' beer.

chilly460, Mar 26, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Really excited to find this so fresh. Bottle date 3/14 poured into m tulip glass 3/26. Not bad for VA from CA.
A - Burnt orange gold crystal clear body with a nice off white head.
S - It is very light notes of citrus and pine but once it warmed it opened up and became much more citrusy.
T & M - A hop powerhouse. They hit you off the bat with a slight malt sweetness coming through in the end. It still ends with hop bitterness. It hides the alchohol very well. It has a very goot creamy mouthfeel as well.
O - Not as complex, in taste, as I was expecting, but a very nice hop bomb with citrus notes. Looks very nice, feels great. Strong armed double IPA.

-Cheers

CuttDeez, Mar 26, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured into a tulip glass from a 22oz bottle.

A - Pours a clear golden color with some slight copper hint and a 0.5 inch head. The head is slightly ecru with some nice dense bubbles and some nice sticky lacing. The retention is quite good and the head winds down to a thin film.

S - Tropical notes come in first with some slight mango and tangerine and some good orange citrus notes. Some slight dank pine aroma with some nice resiny notes.

T & M - Starts off with some grain followed by nice citrus hop notes. Slight pine resin with some tropical fruit notes. Mango and tangerines and some nice sweet grapefruit as well. There is some nice sweet caramel malt notes that are balanced with the awesome hop profile. This is quite a solid DIPA that isn't too overwhelming on either front. The malt profile is sweet and grainy with some slight spice. The hop profiles is citric with some slight pine but mostly tropical notes.

M - Clean and crisp with some nice dry resin finishes and some nice bitterness. There is some stickiness to it but it finishes mostly clean.

O - Very good DIPA. Im so glad FW brought this to Missouri.

JoEBoBpr, Mar 26, 2011
4.08/5  rDev -6%

Fresh bottle poured into a Great Divide snifter. Clearest DIPA I have ever seen with about two fingers of bright white head.

Smells of citrus and a little bit of sweet malt shine through. I'm getting some alcohol as this one warms. Getting some orange and tangerine.

Not a bitter DIPA, but still quite hop forward with some sticky and sweet malt. Nice medium body and well carbonated. There is some nice citrus flavor, but its missing some bitterness.

Lunch, Mar 26, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -9%

A- Pours a clear medium golden/amber. With a half inch of white head. Good drink-by-drink step lacing at first then dies down a little. Okay head retention.

S- Bubblegum, citrusy hops.

T- Citrus and pine. Very apparent alcohol, mellowing. "Oh yeah, this is a good one."

M- Smooth.

D/O- Out of this world drinkability for a DIPA. This is the type of double IPA, along with the likes of Maharaja, that I like because the alcohol isn't so well hidden. First Firestone Walker, thanks PTMcB.

Duff27, Mar 26, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -17.5%

Double Jack has a very bright, clear, copper-colored body. The off-white head is at least two fingers tall and is very creamy and thick looking head. Retention is great, and the lacing is pretty decent.

The aroma has lots of pine, but it is also pretty boozy and sweet.

Lots of pine and bitterness right off the bat, with a good bit of resin included also. The pine is pretty intense, and is definitely the defining characteristic of Double Jack. In addition to the pine, the hops also bring a bit of citrus flavor, but that is definitely secondary to the pine. In the back end of the beer there is a ton of sweetness from the malt, with a little bit of bread and a lot of caramel. Substantial sweetness and a good bit of booze and heat. The finish has a little bit more bitterness.

This IIPA has a big chewy mouthfeel with moderate carbonation.

I like Double Jack, but it is a little bit boozy for me, and as I said, the sweetness is substantial. I guess both of those traits are unsurprising considering the ABV. This is pretty good, but I think I like Union Jack a little bit more.

Hojaminbag, Mar 25, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -26.3%

Poured in to a pint glass

A: This beer pours a clear copper color with a one finger of off white head. Head recedes at a moderate pace leaving wisps of lacing on the glass.

S: Nose is rather fruity - mango, pineapple, hint of citrus and a nice malt backbones.

T: Taste starts with a strong mango and pineapple presence. Caramel malts really fill out the middle. The finish has a bit of citrus hop bite with an undercurrent of alcohol warming. A bit of a cloying sweetness in the aftertaste.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation, oily body with a sticky finish.

D: Goes down somewhat easily, somewhat tasty, somewhat filling, definite kick, ok representation of style. The hop and fruity flavoring are quite good. However, the malt sweetness is a touch too much in the finish, and the alcohol could be better hidden. I have had better representation of the style.

Jayli, Mar 25, 2011

Picked up some of these in Reno & CC. Previously enjoyed on tap at the DIPA festival.

Pours a clear light orange, minimal head. Aroma was bitter, slightly hoppy in the grapefruit vein.

Taste, decent enough, definitely a dipa, I tend to prefer the single union jack though, you get more of a hop mouthfeel out of it. This one amps up the bitterness, heavier malt bill to cover it. Its a good beer, but sometimes more or double just covers up what made you like the original version in the first place. A little apple presence to this one.

Beerandraiderfan, Mar 24, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured a nice clear copper hue with and 1/8" of eggshell colored head on top. Slight amount of lacing on the glass.

Very full with grapefruit and citrus hop aromas and a nice background of floral scents. Sweet maltiness is in the nose as well.

Taste is an awesome blend of citrus tongue buckling hops that are crisp and clean and a sweet malt profile. Fruity flavors are also present. The finish is resiny and sticky. This is about as crisp and clean as you can get.

Mouthfeel is on the thinner side of medium but not a thin weak beer at all. Drinkability is good because this beer has a good balance of bitter and sweet. All in all I have to say its a top notch IPA. It has everything you are expecting to find in an Imperial.

snpub540, Mar 24, 2011
Double Jack from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.