Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Double Jack | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Double JackDouble Jack

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by ThreeWiseMen on 06-25-2009

Reviews: 1,374 | Ratings: 7,410
4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

An often passed up beer for the price point at a $8 or $9 bomber and the fact that I always see this brew sitting on the shelves and never refridgerated. But glad that I decided to sit and review.
*Bomber to pint

A: Double Jack pours a light fuzzy yellow peach color with a very professional looking white one finger cap of foam. Nice carbonation apparent. Interval lacing.

S: Aromas are pungent pinecone with a dash of citrus pith. Some tiny fruity ale yeast and a bit of malty breadiness creep in as well.

T: Piney. Grassy. Big juicy hops. A moderate amount of bitterness however not overly intense on the palate. Still some prickly pinecone there. Sweet sugary graham cracker malt base. Touch on the sweeter side. ABV's come through a bit with some chest warmth.

M: Awesome light body and creamy mouthfeel for a DIPA with a bit of a resiny slickness to it.

D: A very well crafted brew. Great balance and drinkability. Hard to fault here. Hoppy but not in your face...which I would have actually preferred. Caramelly sweet but not cloying. Lacks a bit of that WOW factor.

I would say my biggest complaint here is the price point. But a well crafted and delicious brew to say the least.

4.39/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Picked this up at Vista Country Store, Conway, NH on a recent trip. As an aside, its a great little store with a genuinely nice guy who runs it and loves to talk beer. Poured into my Sierra Nevada pint glass.

A: Pours quite a clear pale amber colour with very little head. Noticeable carbonation. Head recedes to a thin and creamy film that rests on top.

S: Wow! Lots of earthy pine upfront, sweet caramel, citrus (grapefruit) and even tropical (pineapple) fruits, and a slight nut aroma. Nicely balanced with no one aroma overpowering another.

T: Nice and smooth. Bitter pine hops complimented nicely with caramel-like malts found more in the background. A good amount of citrus (grapefruit) but also picking up some tropical fruits to taste (pineapples & passion fruit). Warm boozy alcohol is evident, but ensures that an overly bitter finish doesn't occur. Very good.

M: Slightly oily but overall rather light for a Double IPA I'd say, which is appealing in this. Good amount of carbonation that isn't a detriment.

D: Overall a solid Double IPA- Wish I had picked up two! Will be seeking out other Firestone Walker products in the future.

4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours a one finger white head that fades slowly to a thin layer leaving a good lace. Crystal clear amber color. Good carbonation and medium bodied. Grapefruit nose, flavor is same almost sweet grapefruit, dry finish. $8.75 for a 22oz bottle from Bert's Better Beers Hooksett, NH.

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of nicest finished double IPA's that I have tasted.

The fruit filled smell & robust taste has hidden the alcohol very well. The pour of a golden color with a smooth foam head leaves a slight lacing on the glass

Overall I give this a 4.5 rating and have recently purchased a 1/6 keg for my kegerator. Thank you Firestone Walker

3.93/5  rDev -8.2%

A - Golden brown with hints of a brownish-orange at the thickest parts. Nice clean, white foamy head with decent retention; about two fingers thick. Spotty lacing left behind.

S - Pale malts initially with a fair bit of citrus fruit as well. A bit of tangerine and orange. As the beer warms I get a bit of caramel in the nose and some light floral notes.

T - Sugary sweet initially with a quick bitter kick of citrus and pine. The citrus taste really takes over mid-drink. The finish is rather sweet with some caramel and sweet breads.

M - Medium to full bodied with an excellent carbonation level. Very lively feel. A bitter coating is left behind.

O - A decent, very well-balanced DIPA. Hops are certainly present but not quite as dominating as I expect in most west coast DIPA's. I am not saying that is a bad thing; just not what I expected.

4.27/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Bubbly golden brown pour with a few fingers of white head. Lots of lacing down the side of the glass. Bubbles race to the top well after the pour.

S: Piney hops mix with nice citrus notes. A maltiness holds it all together. Wonderful smell, very well balanced. While I haven't had it in a while, the smell sort of reminds me of Nugget Nectar.

T: Certainly not a hop bomb, a balanced wonderful taste. The taste starts off light and fruity, citrus, with the piney hops coming second. As the hops fade off, a slight dryness takes over the mouth and malts finish it off.

MF: Light, crisp, good amount of carbonation.

O: This is a wonderful IPA, instantly one of my favorites.

4.32/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured into a Stone Imperial glass. Bright, clear orange color. Lots of carbonation bubbles lead to a large three finger, bright white colored head that is very soapy looking. The lace is already sticking quite well.

Smell is quite citrus sweet. Grapefruit and orange sprinkled with sugar. I think even some pineapple is in there. There is also, with quite the nasal search, some earth or bread smells. Not too out of place for this BA though.

Taste is very sweet. I taste some pink grapefruit, a perfectly ripe orange with some pixiy stix tartness. The sweetness is not all hop, there is some malt sweet I am tasting. Very enjoyable!!

Mouth is spot on for a DIPA. Very bright, but at the same time rich, and malty. I don't have much to gripe about this one.

Overall I must say that I really enjoyed this but, it's little brother Union Jack is better. This bottle was dated April 6th, so it's not the freshest example. If I can find a fresh example I will try it and change my scores if needed. A must try in my opinion!!

4.57/5  rDev +6.8%

Firestone Walker
Double Jack Double IPA
9.5% ABV
22 oz bottle
Chimay Goblet

A - Solid copper/rust color, cream colored heady that disappeared quickly. Slow pour from bottle. Streams of carbination rising to the top steadily.

S - Smell is killer. I have the glass about 9"-12" away from the nose and the smell of pine and citrus are eminating throughout the room, hitting the nose as if it's up against my face. Bringing in the glass and swirling, I get the sweet undertones of caramel malts; I assume this is due to the presence of Munich in the mixture. Smell is simply incredible.

T - Bitter citrus flavor upfront with a nice grapefruit hit. Sweet attacks the center of the tongue as if you're enjoying silky caramel. Finishes smooth. Awesome balance between bitter and sweet, you really pick up on each and enjoy the experience.

M - Good carbonation, medium bodied, although I could be convinced its more of a full, being a DIPA. Unlike a lot of beers I've had recently, this one doesn't finish dry or bitter, actually leaves you refreshed. Be careful with this one, as the alcohol is barely noticeable while you're enjoying it!

O - Excellent Double IPA, hitting high marks in all categories. I'd like to try one at cellar temperature the next time (This one came out of the fridge). I'm going to note this as an instant favorite and would recommend it to anyone who like complext but delicious craft creations.

4.77/5  rDev +11.4%

Served in a tulip glass

A: pours a beautiful deep amber color that is nice and clear, with a beautiful head of foamy that is slightly off white and lingers nicely
S: just the kind of scent i love from IPA's grapefruit, nice floral hop notes, nice sweetness
T: such an incredible taste, grapefruit, nice west coast style hop finish
M: leaves a slight lacing on the palate, very slight carbonation tingle
O: truly incredible, this goes right into my top 3 favorite ipa's, so nice to drink, the ABV isn't even close to noticeable. Purely awesome. My first beer from Firestone Walker and I will ensure it is not my last

4.39/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I was going to save this brew for a special occasion but when I found out it was National IPA Day -- what's better than celebrating with a Double Jack? I have never had this before and I thought it was quite fitting.

While pouring it into my glass, I was thinking, this is going to be a darker Double IPA, right? It turns out, it's a light golden straw color. A lot of tiny bubbles moving at a medium pace. A white head fizzles out to a bubbly film.

When I cracked the bottle open, the words HOLY SHIT, were muttered. The aroma, so fresh smelling coming from the bottle. While in the glass, I smell amazing piney, citrus and dark fruits -- I'm thinking grapes. A little bit of bread mixing with some caramel.

Pineapple, citrus, grapes, sweetness right away, some bread, caramel in the background, finishing up with bitterness but a lingering sweet flavor sticks around. Alcohol is evident but doesn't disrupt or sidetrack the main flavors. As it warms, some spiciness pokes through.

Medium body, noticeable carbonation -- slightly prickly, still a sweet dry feeling in the mouth. Very easy going down for a 9.5 abv.

Sweet, bitter, tasty, complex, very easy to go down. Thank goodness I don't have a growler of this or I'd be toasted; it would be all gone in my first sitting. Wait, would that be a bad thing? This screams -- I'm a Double IPA -- with the first sip! Alcohol is hidden very well. This is a very nice brew to celebrate National IPA Day!

4.54/5  rDev +6.1%

Double Jack pours a deep orange color into my Duvel tulip glass. It retains a thin head that sticks around. Nice lacing on the glass. The aroma is awesome....citrus- grapefruit, orange, lemon, pineapple even, piney. Flavor is the same citrus, piney goodness. Alcohol is "hidden" in the sense that it's not hot, but complements the sweetness of the malts and creates a slick mouthfeel. More medium bodied than some of the drier west coast DIPAs.

A great Double IPA from Firestone Walker. Actually my first from these guys, and I'll definitely be back for more. One of the best double IPAs I've ever had.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

Had on-tap at the Rattle N Hum Big Lebrewski Dude Series Part 2 Fest on 7/26/11.

A - This beer pours a nice clear copper color. It has a nice white head on it. The head has good retention, and it leaves behind some nice lace on the glass.

S - It smells of a caramel background and a nice big hop profile. There are some nice scents of grapefruit, pine, and citrus. Also, I am getting a bit of earthiness. This is just a great smelling beer.

T - There is nice hop flavor right off the bat. It has a nice malty background that balances out the hops, but just enough to make you know the hops are the star of the show. There are some light fruit flavors and some citrus. The finish leaves some lingering hop bitterness on the palate.

M - This has a medium body and good carbonation. It goes down easy and has a smooth creamy feel to it. There is a touch of background sweetness and a nice lingering hop bitterness.

O - This has great drinkability. It goes down easy, and the flavor is very nice. I could easily have a few glasses of this in an evening. Overall, I think this is a very solid DIPA. I very much enjoyed it, and I'm glad I got the chance to try it. I recommend picking this one up.

Photo of
4.42/5  rDev +3.3%

a-golden hue with a two finger head and lively carbonation. Lacing is good, as is head retention.

s-big hops with a citrus overtone. There are a lot of tropical fruits too. Great nose for a DIPA. Smells a lot like Myrcenary.

t-Good hop front and a decent malt backbone to balance out the bill. The bitterness is clean and refreshing. There is a good amount of the tropical fruits that make their presence known in the taste. Solid tasting DIPA.

m-great carbonation that brings out the taste even more. Need more sticky to rate higher however.

o-another solid brew from Firestone Walker. Great example of a DIPA. Will be having this in the fridge as a main stay.

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Served in a snifter at TJ's Everyday Restaurant and Drinkery.

The body of the beer is clear and crisp. The color is amber-hued orange/copper, topped off by ~1cm of head that produces gnarly lacing. This is a damn fine looking beer.

The nose is full of hop bitterness and tropical fruits. Apricot, grapefruit, lemon rind and orange zest spring from the top of the glass. Piney notes come through as well, rounding out the hop experience. The flavor brings out the apricot and grapefruit more, leaving a complex and delicious resious flavor on my palate. There are some hints of alcohol, but it doesn't seem to detract from the drinking experience.

The body is medium to full, and the carbonation is very well integrated. Overally, this beer is well balanced and enjoyable. I'm really excited that Firestone Walker has finally found its way to Philly.

4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

Thanks to Schmittymack for sharing a bottle of this one with me last night. Poured a medium golden color, with a decent ivory head. Aromas of hop resin, tangerine and grapefruit zest. Medium bodied, with flavors of tangerine, grapefruit and sweet malt.

Bomber bottled 6/24, reviewed 7/29. Poured into a Bell's tulip.

Clear golden-amber, nice head and lacing.

Smell is a lot of nice tropical hops, backed by a substantial sweetness. Alcohol becomes a bit noticeable as it warms.

Taste is rather sweet and reasonably balanced. A clean mix of tropical, citrus and pine hops that meshes with a smooth malt backbone. Some alcohol definitely noticeable on the tail end. Not bitter. This beer is sweet, but not overbearingly so. Definitely more of an East Coast style IPA than a West Coast one, but it's really a good DIPA. Balanced, clean and showcases all of its flavors well.

Medium and sweet on the mouth, without excess carbonation.

I'm really impressed by how smooth and clean this beer is. It's not necessarily the way I like my DIPAs, but this is about as good and drinkable as I could expect a sweeter DIPA to be.

3.97/5  rDev -7.2%

I didn't realize it had 9.5% ABV, and I probably should have slowed down the gulps! It was so delicious.

This beer is something I can drink on a regular basis! It packs a punch, but it's extremely easy to drink. It doesn't feel heavy on your palate for a double IPA.

I can't give this beer a score of 5 because it meets all expectations rather than exceeding them.

4.28/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to DarthKostrizer for this bad boy! 22oz brown glass pry-top bottle. No date.

Pours a crystal clear golden orange with 1.5 inches of large bubble off-white head that leaves spotting. Nose is similar to the regular Union Jack, sort of a hop-creamsicle (citrus plus sherbet). Smells a bit drier though, a little more piney.

Palate is big and chewy right off the bat! Hops are all over the place here with malt taking the back seat. Chewy, resin-y orange peel flavored hops, dried lime peel, zests of all sorts, and super pale honey or malt syrup, maybe light agave nectar.

This beer is all about hops with almost no malt presence at all. Bitterness is big, but there's that lovely sweetness in the center to round things out. Seems more like an East Coast/VT IPA than a West Coast pine-bomb. Damn fine beer!

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

Got a bottle of this at my local Whole Foods.

A: Very nice amber color, nice frothy head. Not too much sediment very transparent beer, not quite what I was expecting. Lovely lacing on the sides.

S: Smells nice, hops and yeast are certainly there. Nice citrus touch but overall a bit lacking in powerful aromas and kind of settles on the bready aromas. Whats there is quite nice though.

T: Taste is really redeeming. Very nice hop flavors with some citrus and bit on pine, closer to Juniper than out and out pine. Complex yet balanced with a very smooth and nice aftertaste.

M: Full bodied texture thats very nice, its got some oomph to it but it has a nice finish and nothing dry or cottonmouthy about it.

O: This is a pretty darn good beer. Not as powerful as most Double IPAs which I have to say was a bit of a disappointment, but at the same time, its really really drinkable with nice light and subte flavors that are very delicious.

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

Review adapted from notes taken 3/31/11

Appearance: Mostly clear amber orange, nice head to start, retains a sticky white lacing

Smell: Very hoppy, mostly citrus with some herbal spiciness, too - some caramel malts in the background, some sweetness

Taste: Very good - tons of citrus, mostly orange and grapefruit - on the spicy/herbal side rather than juicy hops - mostly dry - some alcohol in the flavor - malts are prominent, a little too sweet for my taste

Mouthfeel: Heavier than the average DIPA, somewhat dry with an alcohol bite, kind of sticky - however, nicely smooth and well-carbonated

Overall: Great, but not mind-blowing

Without a doubt, this is a great DIPA. But it is not exactly what I am looking for in the style. I prefer takes on the style that are slightly lighter, less sweet, have less of an alcohol bite, and have more of a tropical citrus blast to the face. Regardless, this is still good, and I would be happy to have it again.

Edit: 5/8/13

Drinking a fresh bottle courtesy of Goblinmunkey7. Still too sweet, too boozy. Very good, not top tier. I've reduced my scores slightly.

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

Server from bottle dated 2009.

A: beautiful golden color. Pours with nice clean head about one finger tall, and the lacing is slightly sticky and stays throughout the session.

S: honey, malt, floral hops

T: malt and honey, just as the smell indicates. They are quickly overwhelmed by the bittering hops.

M: nice as it warms a bit more. I like the crisp carbonation and sticky feel at the same time.

O: if you're in the mood for a hoppy double IPA, this is a solid beer. The 22oz bottle set me back $8, which is not bad. Compare that with the Dreadnaught, which was $12.

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%

Thanks to OrangeAmps for this one.
Pours a clear orange with a nice head and good lacing.
The smell to me guarantees that this DIPA is going to be awesome.
Taste - Smooth - covers all the bases, citrus, pine, sweet bready malt is minimal, nice semi-dry hop tingle on the finish.
Medium mouthfeel.
I will try to get this beer anytime I trade. Thanks to CarolinaKevin for getting me started on this beer!

4.73/5  rDev +10.5%

The best IIPA I've had to date. Not enough O's in "smooth" to describe this. The hops to bite your nose off, but they're there. Tastes NOTHING like a 9.5% ABV beer. I have another bottle and can't wait to dig in. Highly recommended beer.

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

Perfectly clear brassy orange gold with a cakelike offwhite head. Small amounts of sticky lace decorate my tulip glass.

Sweet boozy scent wafts from the bottle, reminding me of a barleywine. Once in the glass this smells sweet and floral with a hint of tropical fruit.

Taste is first sweet and fruity. Tropical fruits. Candied fruit. Grapefruit dipped in sugar. Clementines, orange peel and lemons. A mildly sour aftertaste, like eating lemon candies. Herbal and a touch of pine. Bitterness comes in afterward in a dramatic long, slow finish. A minty flavor pops up after that! This beer really lingers on the palate. There's an apple note in there as well. Alcohol esters.

Mouth is sticky, slightly viscous and coating.

Drinkability is good and the abv is, although not hidden, managed well.

This is quite a good DIPA. I love the juxtaposition of sweet and sour notes and the finish is remarkably long.

4.12/5  rDev -3.7%

Medium golden translucent body, not too much of a head, but lots of spotty lacing and carbonation bubbles.

Smells of very fresh grapefruity hops. Grapefruit and clementine peels, fresh cut green apples tossed in lemon juice, and mild pine.

Wonderous balance. The bitterness is not too harsh. Citrusy and piney in flavor with more clementine peel and grapefruit pith on the palate. There's a sour twang presence though that is a little off-putting as the beer warms.

Moderate body and high carbonation that keeps you wanting more, but can give a rather drying sensation on the finish that feels kind of tinny.

Edit 12/18/11: Had a bottle immediately after my friend made me try some "legal" bud, which messed up my palate. The beer tasted bone dry and full of bitter grapefruit pith and hot alcohol. Like white grapefruit aerosol hairspray with a hint of caramel. I was so turned off.

Double Jack from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.