Double Jack - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Double JackDouble Jack

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: ThreeWiseMen on 06-25-2009

Reviews: 1,296 | Hads: 7,081
3.62/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured from a 650mL bottle into a BrewDog cervoise glass. Bottled 12 May 2011. From notes. Reviewed 8 July 2011.

A: Very nice, tight, light head. Light yellow-orange; clear. Good lacing.

S: Huge and great hops. A bit vegetal. Ruby grapefruit. This is what an IPA should smell like.

T: Disappointing. Light, vegetal hos, a bit malty-strong as well. The aftertaste is hoppy-dry. Humph. Better DIPAs are out there.

M: Nothing to complain about here. Malty-robust. A bit dry. Good.

O: Good beer. I'd recommend it, if not have again. As I said, if you want a Double IPA, seek elsewhere. (586 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -15.2%

Consumed 06/26/09 at Blue Palms, Hollywood.

Clear, deep amber pour into a snifter. Very small off-white head which dissipated fairly rapidly. Not much carbonation evident in the glass.

Smells like oily, resiny pine sap.

Flavor is not quite all the way to huge, but close enough for this BA. Better balanced and lighter than expected - lacks the syrupy/hop burn character of some other DIPAs.

Hops seem to make up about 80% of the flavor; a caramel malt profile is largely eclipsed. There are several well-blended hop flavors in there; I struggled to pick them all up. Pine sap, grapefruit, and a bitterness with the half-life of uranium 238 were the ones I could put my finger on.

Mouthfeel is good but unremarkable for the style.

I have to say I didn't find this beer particularly drinkable; the one snifter I had was more than I could handle. Mitigating circumstances: I had already had 40 ounces of strong beer and a spicy BBQ sandwich, so maybe I was already used up when this came around.

I recommend having this one first or early in your session. (1,060 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -15.2%

Served in fluted goblet. Poured a medium golden amber color with about a half-inch of white head that had OK retention and good lacing.

The aroma was mostly piney hops with some grainy malt laying underneath. The pine notes were all over the front of the tongue, with some citrus in middle and a nice malt base.

The body wasn't as full as I'd hoped but still fuller than a lot of the style. Drinkability was pretty good for a brew this strong and hoppy. Overall, a very good example of the style, worth trying when you see it. (528 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -15%

Color: yellow, with a drop of orange
Smell: very strong, citrusy aroma filled with grapefruit and a hint of apricot
Taste: Very piny and sour, though not very hoppy for a DIPA
Mouthfeel: Went from a soft to hard feeling, yet very smooth and light on the carbonation
Overall: Double Jack was good, and was certainly with the try, yet it is by no means my DIPA of choice. Would I repeat? Certainly. Would I go out of my way to repeat? No. (437 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a snifter. Tight white head with low carbonation. The body is a pale/golden color and thin for a Dbl IPA. The aroma is of piney hops. The bottle was more than 5 months old so that could have led to the hops presence being a little underwhelming. But the thin body was not expected. (298 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -14.7%

Received in a trade with Destral, thanks again! Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into my trusty "Crab House" pint glass.

A- Looks good! Straw colored, slight head and lacing on the glass.

S- Very nice! Not sure what to expect tastewise with this smell, Hop blast or something similar? DIPA's scare me, kinda like porters, never know what you're going to get hit with on them.

T- This one loses a bit for me. Fairly hot in my opinion. Just spicey, or zesty or some other descriptive that I can't ascertain at this point.

M- Very nice. No problem with this aspect.

D- I really appreciate the chance to try this great brew, but I prefer a Pliny (yeah, go figure) fresh Hopslam, Sculpin or Nugget Nectar to this zesty taste. I guess DIPA's are too much for me at this point in time although I'm sure with a great DIPA like this it will garner a lot of fans. (853 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -14.7%

Draft service into a half-pint goblet at Whole Foods in Tustin.

A: Very hazy, dark golden color with one finger of persistent off-white foam head. Moderate lacing remains on the glass.

S: All hops and fruity sweetness, with an intense blend of citrus fruit (displaying a bright grapefruit side as well as darker citrus). Tropical fruit is also present in the smell, but less aggressive, and pine foliage is detected strongly at first but diminishes toward the end of the glass. No alcohol smell is detected.

T: Citrusy hop aromatics are abundant up front as this beer starts sweet and stays that way throughout. Hop aromatics soon become more varied, with some pine as well as floral notes that were not present (or perhaps just buried) in the smell. In the middle some faintly toasty graininess appears, but flavors remain hop-forward. Bitterness is moderate in the finish, remaining nicely accented with grapefruit peel, but not lingering long on the palate. No flavor of alcohol is detected.

M: Medium viscosity, very syrupy and heavy on the palate to the point of being unappealing, with very little carbonation.

D: While not a home run, this beer does have a special talent and that talent is projecting its West-coast hops profile in high fidelity. Drinkers looking for multi-layered complexity in their DIPAs should search elsewhere; all that Double Jack has to offer is one pure, resonant note. The texture of this beer is its greatest failing, not so much sticking to the palate as blanketing and suffocating it. Despite moderate bitterness and a fairly short finish, it leaves the palate wrecked and in need of re-calibration. (1,641 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -14.7%

I've passed up on this a few times, saw pretty fresh bombers today (dated 4/20) and decided to get one.

Color is translucent glowing orange/amber, white head settles to a cap and thick ring leaving some lacing.

Nose is very earthy with grapefruit, lemon and floral-ness, perfumey almost. Decent strength.

Ultra herbal, piny, grapefruit hops and sweet toffee candy malts in the taste. Some citrus coming out later on. Still a bit perfumey.

Pretty bitter but in my opinion the malts are too sweet and huge. Carbonation on the high side, abv well hidden.

Good, but this disappointed me. I enjoyed it more once it warmed but not my favorite hop flavors, and too sweet for my tastes. (683 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -14.7%

Pours orangey gold with a nice frothy tan head. Malty aroma with a variety of spices and herbal hops. Sweet malt flavor with sugary bread that washes into a big herbal hop blast. Nice fruitiness but the bitterness is too modest for me. Slightly astringent, full bodied, a tad boozy. (282 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -14.7%

22oz bottled March 15, 2012. Served at around 40-45F.

Pours clear amber with a three finger off-white head that leaves some nice rings and webs of sticky lacing and holds a real nice cap.

Aroma is grapefruit, orange/tangerine, floral hops, some pineapple, apricot, decent bit of caramel malt, some alcohol. Very good strength.

Flavor is juicy orange, tangerine, grapefruit, apricot, resinous hops, some pine, caramel malt in the middle with a bit of sweetness, finishes with good bitterness and a noticeable alcohol burn. As I get further into the bottle: apricot, caramel, alcohol.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied, oily, sticky, good carbonation.

A big ’ol Double IPA, that’s for sure. Pretty good stuff, albeit with 4 months on it. Could imagine how good this would be if super fresh. Other than the age, the only real knock is the booze...this one is fairly hot for the style. (891 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottled on 8/15/13. Bought & Drank on 10/11/13.

Pours a light amber color. Wonderful floral & grapefruit smell.

Initial taste is heavy on the malt, finishes hoppy & bitter, but is still smooth from the maltiness. The higher alcohol content becomes more prominent as you consume.

Not an outstanding DIPA, but still good. Worth a taste, especially if you like malt-centric DIPA/IPAs and/or higher alcohol content. (414 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -14.3%

Poured into a standard pint, this is a pale golden beer with a small head. The nose is... extremely citrusy... bordering on "new extra-lemony lemon fresh pinesol". It treads the border with "too much" but doesn't quite go over. The flavor is very sweet, balanced by very high bitterness, and a vast quantity of citrus hops. It just doesn't blend together very well, and does not make a particularly good beer. (409 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -14.3%

Poured from a 22oz bomber with a bottling date of 6/24/11. The initial pour resulted in a one finger head, that faded quickly with some mild lacing. The beer is a light orange color and bit cloudy. The smell is citrus and piney. Not an overly powerful aroma, but very pleasant. The taste follows the smell. Lots of bitter citrus flavors. I was hopping for a little bit more of a hop punch, but the bottle is almost 7 months old. It is still good, but I can't help but think that I am not tasting what the brewer intended. The mouthfeel is almost oily with a fair amount of carbonation.

This was a very nice beer, but I wish I could have found the bottling date in the store. It was black ink stamped on the neck of the brown bottle. Either way, I would like to try this before some of the hops (795 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Crystal clear apricot colored with an orangey beige firm head that lingers long. Aroma of honey, light brown sugar, and tangerine. Flavors of tangerine, orange rind pith, red grapefruit and pine. Some malt balance, but there is firm bitterness and big hop flavors. Full mouthfeel, bitterness and ABV warm and roughen up the palette, but the beer remains fairly drinkable. Good beer overall. (390 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -14%

On Tap @ Sidecar Bar & Grille

Look: Deep copper, clear, medium head with decent retention and good lacing.

Smell: Citrus, malt, caramel

Taste: Up Front: Pine & grapefruit from the hops. Finish: sweet malt

Mouthfeel: Medium body with light carbonation

Drinkability: You could easily throw a few of these back!

Overall Impression: The problem with this review is: I tried this beer after Pliny the Elder. Yes, I cleansed my palate and waited a few minutes, but you cannot follow that act!!! I'm sure if I had this first, I would have good things to say about it, but at the time, my taste buds were simply underwhelmed. If I see it again, I will definitely try it again. (674 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Enjoyed out of the bottle. It poured exceptionally clear, especially for a double, a light butterscotch color. The nose is sweet and malty. The bitterness comes thru in the first sip, with a bit of funk. The taste was malty - sweet with some alcohol burn. Overall, there are more complex doubles out there, I'd say this is OK, but maybe not unique enough to be outstanding. (373 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottled on 11/1/13. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours golden with great clarity; fluffy white head that eventually fades leaving nice retention and lacing. The aromas are full of sweet sticky grapefruit. There's also a decent amount of caramel malts. Some fresh orange in the mix as well. The flavors are sticky and finish somewhat syrupy. More grapefruit. Lots of orange zest. Some pine sap. Pretty sweet flavors and it has a decent malt backbone. It's definitely not boozy at all, but there are subtle alcohol notes. Some soap as well. Tastes good, but almost becomes redundant. Mouthfeel is full-bodied; active carbonation. It's smooth and pretty easy to drink.

This was my first time having Double Jack, and I'm not going to lie, I was hoping for a little bit more. It's definitely a good DIPA, but it doesn't quite live up to the hype that I've heard and read about over the years, in my opinion. That being said, it's still good stuff. (952 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a glass at room temperature.
A - Pours a honey-yellow color with a two finger white head. The head quickly dissipates, leaving a small amount of lacing.
S - A smooth medium hop smell. That's it.
T - Like the smell, little of no malt, just lots of hops.
M - Light in texture with no mouth coating qualities.
O - A reasonable IPA but there are lots to be had out there. I have had several Firestone Walker ales at this point and expected it to be more balanced, like the more sought after ales in the Reserve Series. (527 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -13.6%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into two pint glasses. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

02/02/11 (Less than a month old when we took notes)

A: Pours a hazy glowing peach color with a lovely yet short lived light orange head. Retention? Not impressed but a healthy lacing program made up for it.

S: Had the makings of fantastic. Grapefruit, mango, pineapple, pine...but there was the intrusive aroma of raw alcohol that stripped all of the other good stuff from my nostrils.

T: See above. Starts world class and finished a notch or two under that.

M: Hot! Loads of sweet slickness that gets stripped clean by some pretty overboard alcohol.

O: Started off being quite impressed but was saddened by how raw and off-putting the alcohol was. (740 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -13.6%

A: Golden body with a nice white head that lasts decently long.

S: Citrus hops and some overripe mango. I can definitely tell this is a Firestone from the smell.

T: Much more on the malty side of the scale than the hoppy side. There's a bit of a hop snap about midway, but other than that, the malts and a bit of caramel sweetness dominate this one. Not bad, but not one of the better doubles I've had. (404 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -13.6%

Pours a straight on honey color into my Darkness snifter. A nice white head with scant lacing rests atop. Big citrus, pine and hop on the nose. This smells pretty good. Hop oil coats my tongue with my sip. I really dig on that. Taste is of citrus and hop mixed with a slight crushed aspirin character. I could do without that. The sip cuts pretty dry on the backend. This is a good beer but not overwhelming. (408 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -13.6%

Poured from a bomber with a 5/2013 bottle date(cant tell if 02 or 20th).

A: Beautiful golden color, nice, creamy appearing, off white head.

S: Nice citrusy/piney hop aroma, faint hint of malty goodness. Do I detect some sweetness?

T: VERY balanced. Nice hop bite right off the bat, then the malt rushes in; well done FW.

MF: Bit thin IMO. It dies on the palate the minute you finish the drink.

O: I like it but I want to like it more. This may be me but, IMO, a Double IPA should be very hoppy and very malty. This is hoppy on the nose but both the hops and the malt die way too quickly. It's well put together, and I'd buy and drink again, but it's not quite up to snuff. (677 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -13.3%

Nearly clear with a dark gold color. Nice domed head which leaves ring lace after each sip.

Despite the color, there is powerful, lightly sweet caramel malt aroma--not what I was expected. There is little hop nose. What I do smell is like grapefruit rinds.

Good bitterness in the taste. Also, the alcohol is potent on the tongue--lots of wRmth in the swallow. Rich body, even oily from the alcohol, The aftertaste is like grapefruit rinds, but it is relatively short lived. (475 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 4

poured into a pint glass.

A- Poured a hazy orange, slightly see through. about a half inch head. good lacing as well.

S - fruity notes right off the bat... peaches...pineapple..some sweet malt.

T - A lot of fruit up front then towards the middle you get more fruit then at the end you get smacked with pine that lingers. slight bite, leaving you wanting more.

M - Light carbonation, mediumish body. not so much creamy.

overall this is a super awesome beer. really drinkable and dangerous considering its a 9.5.
loving it. (526 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours a beautiful amber color. Lots of citrusy sweet notes on the nose, and not as piney as many other DIPAs which was a nice change of pace. It's a bit malty for my preference, but true to form, though I think the sweet finish is a little excessive.

Drinkability is pretty good. The high alcohol is a turn-off to me, but is for the most part well-hidden (it did come out as the beer warmed, as I expected).

Overall, it's very balanced and a good example of the style, and a good value too... the only problem is mine: that I prefer drier, less malty IPAs. (559 characters)

Double Jack from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.