1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Pale 31 - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Pale 31Pale 31

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 08-23-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pale 31 Alström Bros
4.7/5  rDev +22.1%

My go-to beer on the Central Coast of California.
Very hoppy, a bit dry, perfectly balanced, a low abv to make it oh-so sessionable.
Looks good. Dark gold in color with lively carbonation
Smell of floral hops
Sensational taste with the use of the right amount of specialty malts and hops
Mouthfeel is great. Very dry but also quenching and crisp
Drinkability is about as good as it gets for the style. I can see why Men's Health rated this as the best beer in America.
Fantastic, and I live directly in the middle of the two breweries. Great stuff. I can't believe my first rating of this.

bradford, Nov 11, 2007
4.7/5  rDev +22.1%

A-Pours a deep golden color with a 1.5 finger head that dissapates to quickly to give this one a 5. Good sticky lacing shows the gaps between big sips.

S- Out of the glass rises fresh citrus, pine, a light biscuit. You can smell some nice malt in there as well.

T- Excellent. Multiple citrus hits the tongue. Grapefruit, and meyer lemon dominate. It fades into a light balance of malt sweetness with major biscuit undertones. There is some fresh baked cookie in there as well. It finishes with a walk hrough the pine forest.

M- Light carbonation, releases a lusious palate. Velvety and smooth. The finish is dry enough to leave the palate with some light pine. Great residual.

D- It was so good I wish I had two more. Great trade Brad. Thanks, I don't think I could ever get it that fresh on this coast. It makes me want to move to Cali.

viperpiper522, Oct 06, 2007
4.68/5  rDev +21.6%

Lomochic82, Sep 15, 2014
4.68/5  rDev +21.6%

Probably the best of the Firestone Walker beers that are bottled.

I have tried both on tap and in the bottle, and prefer the the tap over the bottle.

Beer is very drinkable has a great hop smell without the hop after taste. This beer can easily been sesioned without getting overwhemled by hops. Must be the oak barrel fermentaion process that gives the beer the smooth drinkablity.

Would recomend this beer to both the beer snob and the beer novice!

madtappers, Dec 07, 2008
4.63/5  rDev +20.3%

Thanks to IntriqKen for this one. Pours a clear golden with a smallish head and decent lacing. Aroma is sweet breads and citrus hops - very nice. Taste is tasty sweet malts up front followed by pleasant citrus and a good hop finish to cleanse the palate. Perfect mouthfeel and drinkability. Excellent APA, very refreshing.

Duster72, Jun 07, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +20.3%

I reviewed this beer a few years ago from the bottle. Normally I don't go back and re-review a beer, but recently I had this on tap at a small bar somewhat close to the brewery in central California, and felt the difference was significant enough to warrant another review.

Presented in a pint glass a light golden color with a beautiful and creamy two finger white head, which remained through the entire consumption of this beer and left excellent lacing. Very pleasing to look at.

The smell was fantastic. I've had this beer probably a hundred times or more before from the bottle, but somehow on tap this took on a new life. Oranges, floral notes, and much more of a hop presence than I have ever experienced than from the bottled version, this beer on tap had it all. A wonderful bouquet which ranked among the best smelling beers I've ever put my nose to.

The taste was nearly the equal of the aroma. Once again the citric hops were there, joined by a perfectly balanced caramel malt presence. A very well rounded beer.

The mouthfeel was what I would call good but not outstanding. Perhaps a bit thicker body would improve things, but that's nitpicking. It was nice and crisp and had a good smoothness and creaminess.

As I sat there drinking a few glasses of this beer from tap over the course of a few days I wondered if it was perhaps as good as it gets for a session beer. Perfectly balanced, a nice hop presence without being overly bitter, and extremely drinkable. Very good out of the bottle, fantastic when fresh from a local tap.

JBogan, Feb 21, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +20.3%

Poured from a stubby 12 oz bottle into a taster glass.

Pours a very clear melted butter color with a yellow tinge and a white fluffy soapy head. Massive head retention and beautiful. Aromas are very strong for an apa. I get tangerine, musky grapefruit and some sweet salted caramel on the nose. The flavor is very balanced. Really a nicely crafted brew. You can taste the care and effort put I to this. Love how smooth this is yet it has a very nice mandarin orange finish. Mouthfeel is very smooth, perfect. Has a great crisp finish, balanced malts with fresh tasting hops for balance. Really a near perfect apa. Honestly I love SNPA but this just got on the same level as it. Very smooth. Go out and get your hands on some.

Augustiner719, Sep 05, 2010
4.61/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours golden colored and clear with a small foamy head that retains a small amount of lacing around the edges of the glass. Strong apple aroma with underlying citrus tones. Mixture of apple and citrus tastes. Nice balanced hops taste that hits you midway through. Bitter taste that retains on your tongue when done. Not too bitter, though. Hops are moderate, perhaps a little stronger than most pale ales but not quite as strong as most IPAs. Overall a very good beer, becoming one of my favorite go to session beers. One of my favorite pale ales for sure.

jngrizzaffi, Sep 27, 2013
4.58/5  rDev +19%

Above good beer here. Not quite exceptional, but I truly love this brew. Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A-Light golden. Semi cloudy. Thick foamy head that receded quickly. Soapy think residual layer that stays on top of the beer. Low-medium lacing.

S-Piney, citrus hop smells stand out with a slight floral undertones. Hidden malt smells that barely stand out.

T-Orangey hoppy taste. Very slight sweetness. Malt flavors stand out also. Near even balance of all flavors.

M-Medium thickness. Lower carbonation level.

D-The one thing about this brew that I truly love. Very drinkable. I have easily put back six bottles in a session without feeling bad, full or hung over the next day. Beer can be drunk when wrenching or in social scenes.

Truly tasty APA. I love this brew. Another great Firestone brew.

oxnard111, Jul 22, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +17.7%

This beer was sent as a bonus, thanks to Zorro. One of the best pales I've yet tasted, and I've had quite a few, so it is not often I will rave about one. I really can't wait to try the Firestone 10 based on how amazing this simple pale ale is. This is not only the first oak aged pale I've had, but as far as I know it is the first beer I've had that was fermented in a burton union system.

The beer looks great. It pours to a clear golden yellow color with a crisp carbonation supporting a thick fluffy white head. Lacing is pretty spotty, on the other hand. Retention is alright.

The smell is wonderful. Nice mellow pale malty sweetness balanced out by a piny and juicy hoppiness. Even has a hint of oaky vanilla. Has a mellow creaminess about it as well. Very smooth and balanced.

The taste is just as exceptional as the aroma. Very clean pale malt flavor followed by the perfect balancing bitterness. Bountiful hops flavor in the finish. Subtle pine and grapefruit with a gentle lemon zest. The oak really smooths out the rough edges and adds a bit of vanilla and a feint barrel char.

The beer is medium in body. Carbonation is very smooth and gentle on the palate. Alcohol is undetectable, though I would expect no less from a 4.6% pale ale. Very creamy mouthfeel. I could drink this all night, and I probably would quite often if it were available in my area. Thanks again, Zorro.

Oh, and P.S. - Jim Cibak, we miss you over here in 3F's land!

neonbrown82, Feb 03, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +17.7%

Smell and taste set this APA apart from others. I crave a hop flower aroma in my pales and this beer delivers big time. I've had 2IPA's with less hop aroma. The taste is very crisp - delivering hop bitterness with a slightly nutty finish. Highly drinkable - definitely Firestone's best widely available offering.

HighOctane, Feb 19, 2007

jkn09, May 02, 2013

ThatsThatDude, Jan 05, 2014

ucsbmullet, May 03, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

A: Pours a deep gold with a nice wheat head.

S: Plenty of hops for the style with some mild sweetness.

T: Slightly sweet malt with some citrus/grapefruit hops.

M: Medium bodied and well-carbonated.

D: Quite good in this department. A nice, low abv beer with plenty of hops--my definition of great session-style drinkability.

Thorpe429, Oct 01, 2009
Pale 31 from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.