Double Barrel Ale - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Double Barrel AleDouble Barrel Ale

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

English Pale Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerManDan on 08-24-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Barrel Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 710 | Hads: 2,291
2.88/5  rDev -21.5%

Beer poured from bottle into a Nonic shaped glass

A - Beer poured with a white, one finger sized, white colored head; dissipates very quickly; well-carbonated; clear brown/orange colored body; thin in appearance; not much lacing formed; copper colored

S - Soapy smell; not much malt notes to this beer; little scent of alcohol; somewhat of a floral or herbal scented beer; really light smell profile, I even kept this out for a while to warm up; slight touch of caramel; hint of whiskey barrel and oak

T - Flavor profile has a few characteristics that stand out, like caramel and some fruit; not very impressed either with this beer; expected more flavor profile from a Firestone ale; bread malt flavor

M - Slightly watery; not very alive with carbonation or body; touch of bitter aftertaste, but has mostly a rinse/soap taste

D - Disappointed in this beer, I expected more out of a Firestone Brew; could have been more flavorful, but left my palate looking for even an ounce of flavor; I would pass if I had the chance to try this again

2.88/5  rDev -21.5%

Pours a clear, amber-orange color, grows a half-inch thick, dense, cream colored head, with mediocre retention, dissipating rather quickly to a sudsy ring. Good lacing, though.

The aroma has a fair amount of hops, a touch of citrus but also some earthiness. Some rich English malt character is also evident in the way of biscuits and caramel.

The flavor is quite unique. Hop forward, grassy and earthy like a mossy log. Not much citrus character like in the nose. This is one of the grassiest beers I've ever had. Tastes like a freshly mowed lawn smells. A mildly sweet, biscuity malt presence toward the finish that is ultimately overwhelmed by grass.

I have a hard time getting over the grass. Wow is this grassy. Not sure if it's supposed to be grassy, I guess I can officially say that I don't like grassy hops. One more time: Grassy.

2.9/5  rDev -21%

12 oz bottle into a teku.

Appearance: Pours a dark copper color. The head is a finger high and off-white in shade. I'm disappointed in its rough texture and weak retention, and by the fact it doesn't leave behind any lacing. (3)

Smell: It's kind of hard to tell what the aroma is trying to accomplish. There's a definite influence of the cask-conditioned bitter here (I get some light ale esters and a touch - and boy, do I mean just a touch - of oak), to be fair. But I also pick up hints of diacetyl (small touches are not unwanted in the style) and cereal grain at first. The solution: let it open up in the glass. The bad notes go away, and the fruity esters appear a bit more vividly. Caramel and toasted bread notes tie it all together. Unfortunately, the whole aroma seems subdued in the wrong ways. (3)

Taste: The flavor, again, is subtle. I do like how there are actual ale esters next to the bready malt backbone, at least - notes of cherry, apricot, and peach appear initially. I swear I pick up notes of cereal grain lurking around throughout, though their presence doesn't ruin the beer. I'm not picking up any toasted oak or vanilla qualities. All in all, a boring ale. (2.75)

Mouthfeel: Cereal grains seem to give a nice lightness, but it also makes the finish a little sweet. The latter is due to the low carbonation. Hey, it goes down easily. (3)

Overall: I've been waiting to try FW's flagship for a while now, and the end result is...meh. There's nothing special about this - I enjoy certain elements (like the presence of fruity esters), but it doesn't tie together to become any sort of world-beater. It's a solid gateway beer, and that's about it. I'll give this one a second chance if I find it on cask. (3)

2.9/5: ...yep, I'm still gonna stick with Pivo Pils

2.93/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Suddenly I am reminded of all the boring pale ales I had while in the United Kingdom and why I am still trying to suppress that trip from my memory. I see Firestone Walker is trying to just that and make boring English pale Ale. Congratulations you did just that but a higher ABV. A solid English Ale expect for the higher ABV, sorry won't be buying this again, this might be fun to have on cask.

2.95/5  rDev -19.6%

Bomber. Pours amber with a medium tan head. Aroma of malts, yeast, and oak. The taste is awful. The only thing I can compare it to is armpit sweat. Yeasty, stinky, armpit sweat. To add insult to injury, this bottle costs over $10. Damn you, Firestone.

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A- Tawny copper color, with a light orange hue around the edges. A moderate pour yielded a loose half finger foamy head that was gone before you knew it. No lacing.

S- Not much nose, mostly just toffee malt, maybe a little booze. Could have been some oakiness but thats not what it came across as.

T- No hint of wood in this at all, its a very benign toffee malt with no hint of hop. Carbonation is light, but very effervescent, like a alka-seltzer tab that lifts some of the sweet malt off the tongue. Wet finish, but minimal aftertaste or bitterness,

M- Too watery, and again the fizzyy carbonation,

O- devastatingly average beer, with no hint of wood. I should probably be harder on this beer given the utter lack of woodiness but I'll leave it as-is. Its completely forgettable and lacking in any uniqueness,

2.95/5  rDev -19.6%

12oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

(A)- Pours a deep amber color. Produced a nice cap of white froth. Good retention and good lacing left behind.

(S)- Quite the spicy array of piney hop and very very bitter smelling rye/carraway. Almost smells like sawdust too.

(T)- Similar to the smell in that combo of pine needle and spicy rye. Some subtle citrus behind a rather large caramel-like malt sweetness.

(M)- A solid carbonation level. A good balance, but perhaps too bold in how spicy it is showing with the rye. This only increases as it warms.

(O)- Its ok. In the sea of hoppy themed beers, this one gets lost in the tide for me.

2.96/5  rDev -19.3%

Pours an Amber orange, perfectly clear with a thin white head.

Smells of grilled meats, teriyaki, and northern Wisconsin. Indeed, that is what this beer smells like.

Mouthfeel is smooth and almost a bit watery. Tastes like a strange tea. This is not is not so great. Probably wont go searching for it.

2.98/5  rDev -18.8%

Could just be that this isn't my style, but I'm not too keen on this beer. It tastes like a macro brew to me. Slightly skunky, a little bitter, and not much else by way of flavor. The mouthfeel is great, it's surprisingly smooth, but the taste is inexcusable. I won't be getting this again.

Appearance - This is a dingy copper orange in color with a decent head.

Smell - The baseline American grain is mixed rather clumsily with some light English hopping with strong floral notes.

Taste - The American grain runs away with this flavor profile. I can pick up some of the hops from the nose and a light orange fruity taste, but I can't seem to find the woody notes promised on the label.

Mouthfeel - This is a bit bigger than light-bodied in the mouth but a far cry from medium. This is actually a quenching brew but the flavors aren't mated well.

Drinkability - This will be good on a hot SFV 100+ degree day. It's definitely a lawn mower beer, for those in SoCal unfortunate enough to have a lawn to mow.

Pours with a one-fingered off-white head that fades slowly and leaves traces of lace. Medium carbonation and medium bodied. Cloudy amber color. Nose is slightly malty. Starts with some sweet undertones and finishes with a even mix of hops and malt. $1.79 for a 12oz bottle.

3.02/5  rDev -17.7%

From notes. Great clarity, very active, amber color, with a finger of bubbly off white head that fades gradually.

Grainy pale malt, a touch of sweetness, and a faint litter box like hop character. Not impressed.

Faintly sweet pale malt, and grainy like the nose. There is some mild hop bitterness, but not much in the way of hop flavor. Pretty bland.

Strong carbonation, thin/medium body, clean finish. Pretty benign.

It's may well be pretty much to style, on the far low end of the hop spectrum, for an English style pale ale. And it's surely an adequate lawn mower beer. But I'm underwhelmed, and won't likely be buying this beer in the future. Tastes and smells like beer. Nothing special.

3.02/5  rDev -17.7%

Clear amber color, minimal head, quickly dissolves.
Floral aroma, slight hop background
Highly carbonated, which blocks the flavor. The flavor that does come through is fruity.
Thin mouthfeel, not much lingering flavor.
A little bland for multiple pourings.

3.02/5  rDev -17.7%

A: A tiny froth of head struggles to form and is having an even harder time retaining or forming lace anywhere on the pint. The body is amber with ruby hues.
S: Toasted bread and plum fruit. A tad buttery, but I'm hoping for the best.
T: No bottled on date that I can see, so I can't tell anything about the freshness. There's a heavy malt here, which is fitting for the style. It's toasted, and the presence of figs and plums adds a nice touch. A sourness hits at the back, but nothing too overwhelming.
M: Lighter body with medium carbonation.
D: If I were to go for a Firestone beer, my first choice would be Union Jack. But I'd reach for this one again.

3.03/5  rDev -17.4%

Looks a little hefty, good appearance, darker than yellow, good head retention, decent lacing, no appreciable aroma.

Taste, wood and malt. English style fo' sho'. Minimal hops, especially when comparing their pale w/ ipa. Remains consistent, decently drinkable, but not my thing, a little pricey for what tastes like a stronger Sam Adams style beer. Definitely not an American or West Coast Pale ale.

3.03/5  rDev -17.4%

Poured this 22 oz. brown bottle into a Sierra Nevada Hops glass. No date. The body was a bright copper color and clear of sediment. The foamy, khaki head rose to about two fingers.

Smell was clean and malty. Syrup. Metal?

Taste was fruits and malts. Pleasant, non-offensive. I had hoped for more hops, but I always do. Solid but not wow.

Mouthfeel was thin to medium, body and carbonation.

3.03/5  rDev -17.4%

I received this one inadvertently in a trade, and really had no real interest in trying it, but figured what the hell. It was about as good as I expected. Pours a reddish-copper color, with a little off-white head. Somewhat sweet, bready and biscuity, with just a hint of hop. A rather pedestrian amber ale.

3.03/5  rDev -17.4%

On tap in Ventura CA. Clear copper color, almost no head. Pale ale or English pale ale, very unassertive representation from the style, very little hops, balanced. More malty sweetness than anything else, but really so balanced that no particular flavor jumps out. Toasted malts, maybe a little bread, that's it. Average mouthfeel, unremarkable in most ways.

3.05/5  rDev -16.9%

Dark amber/brown in the glass with decent amount of white head. Caramel malt and toast in the nose. I got mostly caramel and nuttiness on the tongue with lingering malt bitterness. Some tangy yeast characteristics in there. Low viscosity, very drinkable. Appropriate amount of carbonation.

This is a drinkable, if unremarkable beer. I definitely don't agree with the English Pale Ale label, due to its appearance, flavor, and aroma. This is an amber. I'm not a huge fan of English ambers, which I would classify this as, so I'm not the most impartial reviewer here. Not my favorite, and I would reach for anything lighter that's on tap at the bar before going with Firestone Walker's DBA. Stick to Pale Ales, FW, it's your strength.

3.06/5  rDev -16.6%

It's a good beer, not great, not like there other beers.

A california version of an amber/red. The best thing about this beer is the look. Looks like a deeply hopped and malted beer.

Tastes warm, lots of malts, not much hops, kinda macro tasting.

I guess its hard to do an amber right, cause this tastes like malted water.

3.06/5  rDev -16.6%

On draft at B&B Burger & Beer in Las Vegas.

Amber copper body with a small off-white head. Malty aroma with sweet breads and a touch of fruit. More malt than hop character. A bit too sweet for my liking. A tad syrupy. Fairly light in body with light bitterness in the finish. Mediocre.

3.07/5  rDev -16.3%

A: Looks good. Pours a dark amber with a quarter-inch off-white head, and minimal lacing.

S: The smell is disappointing. Not much here, a lil malty, a lil hoppy but both are rather muted. Smells a bit like rain. There is something here that doesn't appeal to me.

T: Bland. I'm not impressed at all. Tastes watered down.

M: Thin body, with moderate carbonation.

D: I could probably suck this down very quickly, but I wouldn't want to. And I wouldn't reach for a second one anytime soon.

Firestone makes some great beers, so I may have to try this again sometime...after I forget this experience.

3.07/5  rDev -16.3%

Double Barrel Ale in a pint glass.

Has some murky translucency in a shade of dark amber. Not much settled on top.

Musty malts with an oxidized apple aroma. Some wilted hop and slight cardboard. Not a whole lot good going on.

This may be a little old. Oxidation has occured and tainted what might be a delicate hop/malt combo for an English ale. I taste some generic toastiness, caramelized malts, leftovers for hops, a touch of estery orange candy, and a flair of florality.

Drinks okay. I like the body. It has middle ground and drinkability. Carbonation is on the soft side.

I wish there had been a date listed after the words "Bottled On". Hard to say where we're at here.

3.07/5  rDev -16.3%

Had on tap. Served very cold in a chilled mug so it took a awhile before I was really able to taste it. A nice beer but not a lot of intensity or complexity. Flavors blend well together but I was wanting a bit more. The carbonation is was high for my tastes. Wouldn't mind tasting again a some point but wont seek it out.

3.08/5  rDev -16.1%

12oz bottle, no dating.

Pours a darker bronze color with small amount of head, slight lacing.
Slight malty scent, otherwise not much there.
Flavor is mostly a caramel-cola malt, thin, with no hop balance or anything else to add body or complexity to the brew.
Body is fairly thin and watery, which would be acceptable for as a cask offering...but this is bottled.

Disappointed to be sure. I enjoy a fuller, more balanced English pale, but unfortunately, this is not one of them.

Double Barrel Ale from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.