Double Barrel Ale - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Double Barrel AleDouble Barrel Ale

good

good

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

English Pale Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerManDan on 08-24-2002)
View: Beers (72) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Barrel Ale Alström Bros
Quadsquad

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

07-06-2014 22:27:52 | More by Quadsquad
Jamie134

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

This is a British Pale Ale despite others believing it is an amber. Amber merely describes the color. Website says all imported malt and hops. The result is apparent in the taste. It is more of a low-key session beer, highly drinkable. The oak fermentation also contributes a smoothness and sweetness to the beer. Very enjoyable.

10-26-2005 17:32:27 | More by Jamie134
pintnhand

Washington

2.35/5  rDev -36%

I think this beer is way overrated. I have had a few red ales but this one doesnt make my list. I think they took the beer too far on this one. The taste is almost puckering. The taste leaves a very heavy unpleasent feel. At first it starts smooth but as the taste evolves it becomes less enjoyable. An ok appearance. I would term it as harsh.

08-09-2007 01:32:53 | More by pintnhand
pennsyk4

11-23-2011 20:01:45 | More by pennsyk4
Sutardja

4.15/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I had this on tap at a sports bar before my dinner. The first thing I noticed about the beer was the subtle fruity aroma coming from it's translucent, amber body. The flavor combined a complementary balance of fruit and malty breadiness that was well balanced by the subtle hop character. The only problem was that these flavors weren't strong enough to keep the beer interesting to drink. Carbonation was medium, but suited the character of the beer. The careful balance of good flavors and the lack of any offensive flavors makes this beer extremely drinkable. I would definitely recommend it for a session beer.

05-16-2009 09:58:38 | More by Sutardja
MattThomas

3.35/5  rDev -8.7%

Firestone Walker Double Barrel Ale. Poured a great head. Not much nose in to the beer, though. I guess I expected something larger in the flavor of the beer, having five or six malts and double oak barreled. It does have a nice feel to the mouth. Quality medium weight (what I would expect for a Amber Ale). It is absolutely quaffable. There is enough going on, but light enough to enjoy.

Definitely not the best Amber Ale on the market, but quite enjoyable.

10-27-2004 00:02:53 | More by MattThomas
Nhoddus

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours about a two finger head, with nice clear copper color, Nestles into an off white cap that lasts till the end. Very little visible carbonation. Just a bubble every once in a while. Smells of malt and slight caramel sweetness, a little bit of light fruit. Similar to smell, nice slightly sweet malty flavor with flowery tones and a slight smokey wood taste, maybe some wheat cracker with a little hop bitter finish at the end. Can tell the carbonation much better in the mouthfeel, light small silky bubbles that dance on the tongue, which is nice, with the body of it being a little heavier, you can feel it coat your mouth with it's flavor, but not too much so. I could go through quite a few of these throughout the night comfortably, with enough taste to enjoy it slowly, and not so heavy that you'd feel bloated or too bubbly.

I like this beer, it's not my favorite, but for the price at my local stores and what it brings to the table for it, I stock this regularly along with their Pale Ale and Union Jack for a pocket forgiving good beer that delivers.

07-27-2010 04:38:51 | More by Nhoddus
laco0043

3.24/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured into brandy-style glass. Head dissipates quickly. Brilliant clarity with fire orange hue. Fruity nose with some biscuit. Difficulty picking up the vanilla and oak subtleties that describe this beer. Estery up front with clean finish. Decent beer. Could drink a few back to back.

01-23-2014 04:51:16 | More by laco0043
darrellzilla

3.83/5  rDev +4.4%

A nice easy drinking ale.
Coppery and clear in color, it s an easy pour with little head and makes a great session beer. Overall I call this beer smooth, this ale is lightly hoppy with strong citrus notes though distinctly smooth on the finish. The oaky character comes out from the first and is apparent at the first whiff.

A good beer for any afternoon.

07-12-2012 07:59:07 | More by darrellzilla
AustinGinger

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

09-01-2013 02:23:47 | More by AustinGinger
cruzerbug

07-13-2014 02:32:13 | More by cruzerbug
cervecero

3.88/5  rDev +5.7%

I picked this up at my local Vons in Southbay San Diego. Got home and poured this into a glass. The pour gave me about an inch of head, and the color was a reddish with a light caramel hue. It also had a sweet nutty aroma and went down very well. This reminds me alot of New Castle when I first had that. More flavor than the one and only, IMO better. Overall a good beer, I recommend it to other ale lovers.

02-14-2006 00:33:21 | More by cervecero
rupacaky

Colorado

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

09-09-2012 22:04:31 | More by rupacaky
aritalia

3.38/5  rDev -7.9%

Whenever I am out for dinner and there is no beer selection, DBA is always my default; because for some reason it's always on the menu. For what it is, it is much more satisfying, flavorful, and goes better with food than your typical domestic piss beer (bud or miller).

04-13-2011 05:53:24 | More by aritalia
dtwhite

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

I went to college in San Luis Obispo, so I pretty much grew up on Firestone beer, but I only learned to like this one recently.

Poured into the Firestone nonic glass. It's got a nice lightly coppery brown color, no haze. Not all that carbonated (mine was very cold, which probably exaggerates that), but still gets some minor lacing.

Not a lot of aroma. A little bit of caramel and smokiness, but doesn't give off a lot when cold.

Tastes very smooth. It's got a good balance of maltiness and light hoppiness. Not boozy tasting at all, and a low enough ABV that you can enjoy a few without going crazy.

Honestly, you can see why this beer is sort of Firestone's bread and butter. It's good, not alienating, and nice for session drinking. People used to the imperial stouts and whatnot will find it bland, most likely. Although I like almost all of Firestone's beers better, this one is still worthwhile.

Side notes: I asked the guy during the brewery tour what the significance of "double barrel" is... apparently it doesn't mean anything specifically; it's probably just supposed to sound cool like a double barrel shotgun or something. They do put it in barrels, though. Also, Firestone beer is supposed to be kept refrigerated at all times by vendors, and they only let that rule slide for Costco. I happened to get this beer from a variety pack at Costco (12 DBA + 6 Pale Ale + 6 Union Jack IPA for $22, buy now).

07-08-2010 05:29:57 | More by dtwhite
beer76inthesouth

South Carolina

11-12-2012 23:23:02 | More by beer76inthesouth
hajenaD

4.18/5  rDev +13.9%

bottle poured into pint

A: I really like the color of this beer, I held it up to my ceiling fan's light and was impressed by it's beautiful amber color with a burnt yellow color at the top.

S: Smelled great, general citrus scent with some pine scent to it

T: hit the spot, not to strong, but just right if you're in the mood for an amber ale!

M: light, smooth, flavor hits a little late for me, but when it does hit it's just what I was lookin for.

O: I'm really happy with this beer, it's exactly what I was looking for! I will grab this bad boy again and again in the future!

05-23-2011 04:40:43 | More by hajenaD
DavidMuhlstein

09-15-2012 02:18:39 | More by DavidMuhlstein
aalton77

4.75/5  rDev +29.4%

05-11-2013 21:15:10 | More by aalton77
DamienR

3.49/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: A very beautiful copper color, with lace all the way down, two finger head that had a decent retention, a very pretty beer, the off white head looks very nice alongside the copper.

S: From the bottle, smelled very pleasant. Earthy, bread smells mixed with a slight fruity smell. In the pint glass there was no discernable smell.

T: Very crisp, light malt and bread flavor at first that becomes thin with almost no aftertaste in a glass. After tasting directly from the bottle the taste is greatly improved and has a very pleasant, slight sweetness to it. I wouldn't recommend pouring this one. (Would make a nice session beer)

M: A very watery, thin feel. But with a pleasant silkiness accompanying it.

O: Goes down smooth in a glass, but I prefer it directly from the bottle. It seems to retain more of its flavor that way.

12-14-2013 07:31:51 | More by DamienR
Sandra_m

01-20-2014 07:44:08 | More by Sandra_m
Rickguhr

06-23-2014 17:16:06 | More by Rickguhr
NiveK510

06-30-2014 20:25:12 | More by NiveK510
goofyguy6782

This is one of my all time favorite beers. If I'm having a hard time making up my mind on what I want to get, this is one beer that I can always rely on for all around good times. The first time I tried it was on tap at a Ducks game in Anaheim and I was first taken in by it's sweet smell. Then I took a sip and have been hooked ever since

This beer goes down smoothly and in a very welcome way, likes to linger on your tongue. I'd gladly recommend this beer to anyone looking to try craft beer.

07-22-2014 05:01:50 | More by goofyguy6782
altinarodriguez

07-02-2014 12:42:54 | More by altinarodriguez
Double Barrel Ale from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.