Solace - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

SolaceSolace

good

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: ThreeWiseMen on 04-01-2010)
View: Beers (73) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Solace Alström Bros
ocelot2500

3.4/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy golden color with a small white head that leaves a decent amount of lacing on the glass.

Smells of light wheat and citrus notes.

Tastes of wheat notes with some spice on the end. Notes of banana and clove come through. Citrus notes also present with some fruitiness.

Mouthfeel is light and has a smooth amount of carbonation.

05-28-2010 02:29:48 | More by ocelot2500
searsclone

3.63/5  rDev -1.1%

poured into a pint glass, butterscotch yellow with yeast floaters and a decent head and lace

smells bready and a little spicy

tastes bready, malty, and a little smokey and a mild sweet finish

mouthfeel is somewhat thick with a mild carbonation

drinkability is high, not my favorite wheat beer, but definitely one I will have again.

05-28-2010 02:06:24 | More by searsclone
blackc5

Washington

4.2/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Cloudy and golden, this lacked much head at the pour, and minimal lacing as well.

S - Fairly mild scents of citrus, banana, some spice and bread.

T - Quite nicely balanced. Some hefeweizen there in the wheat and banana, with just a touch of saison spiciness and fruit. This is a nice mix.

M - Just moderate carbonation and light bodied, it was nevertheless fuller than a typical hefe.

D - Very refreshing on a warm day, and I liked the mix of styles. Will pick up more of this while it is in season.

05-27-2010 00:11:52 | More by blackc5
vertigelt1

3.55/5  rDev -3.3%

Had on tap at Lucky Baldwin's in Pasadena, CA. Quite cloudy medium maize colour. About a finger of whitish head that disippated very quickly. Smells like a wheat beer. Tastes citruisy with bready malts. Reminds me a lot of New Belgium Sunshine Wheat or Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat. A tiny bit of spiciness, a smidge of cloves, absolutely no hint of bananas. Mouthfeel is thin but refreshing, very drinkable. Decent wheat beer, almost approaching a Saison, but nothing to write home about.

05-26-2010 02:36:17 | More by vertigelt1
yemenmocha

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

Pours with a hazy dark gold color with generous white head at first that dissipates to not much soon thereafter. Nose is very faint with some lemon/orange. Palate has light malt & wheaty flavors with a hint of citrus. Light bodied and light on the finish. Easy drinking.

05-24-2010 18:43:13 | More by yemenmocha
popery

3.28/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

City Beer Store. Oddly bland and boring for Firestone Walker. I don't think this one was a very good choice for their new six-pack beer. Pours a cloudy light golden color with a decent white head that dissipated a bit quickly. The aroma is weak - mild but decent malt, a touch of citrus/orange, nondescript yeast. The flavor is just nondescript. I'm not a big fan of "summer beers," and I imagine that was what they were shooting for here, but this is a beer that I won't remember in a week. For that matter, this beer is getting a healthy style bump - I don't get why there are so many bland American-style wheat ales. Sorry, FW, you make a lot of incredible beers, but this isn't one of them.

05-23-2010 04:42:11 | More by popery
Overlord

2.05/5  rDev -44.1%

I love this brewery, but this beer is a complete misfire.

Pours gold, with a big white foam head. Slightly hazy.

No real smell. Maybe just a whiff of wheat-y grass and yeast. Not pleasant.

Tastes like sickly, weirdly farmyard-y wheat, some light ... I don't know ... chaff.

Really not sure what they were going for. Too bubbly with a light mouthfeel.

05-21-2010 08:05:08 | More by Overlord
VWBuggirl

South Carolina

3.6/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is a golden cloudy color with a slight head and a little lacing. The scent is very citrusy, mainly lemon and oranges, but the wheat is present.

The taste is pretty typical of a wheat ale. There is a little bit of a bite at the end which is nice and it is also quite smooth.

This is great on a hot summer day.

05-19-2010 04:17:45 | More by VWBuggirl
t420o

3.33/5  rDev -9.3%

Bought a 6-pack at at BevMo.I hate how they keep some of their beers warm. My 6-pack was warm so I gave it a day in the fridge and poured into a pint glass.

Appearence is excellent. All my friends remarked that every beer should look so good. Unfiltered and beautiful. Golden yellow and orange and cant see a centimeter into it.

Sadly that was the best part about it.

Smell- lacking one. Mildly sweet and fruity.

Taste- Lacking one also. Very mild. Very weak. It's not bad, just not what I was expecting from a Firestone Walker beer. Hints of fruit. Just bland.

Mouthfeel- Pretty good from what I remember. Not too heavy or light.

Drinkability- Too easy. The lack of taste and fact that it's extremely smooth make consuming it too easy. I killed the 6er in no time.

Not a bad beer, just would like some more flavor. No offense to the women out there, but I think this is a good beer for the ladies.

05-18-2010 23:28:12 | More by t420o
Chizoad

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

I was quite impressed by the pint that came my way. Not much in the way of head, but a beautiful, cloudy, unfiltered mass of beer. Orange-yellow.

Picked up some fruit, perhaps orange blossom and grapefruit on the nose, along with a bit of sweetness.

It's really too bad that the taste doesn't quite live up to the smell, although that's not to say it tastes bad. I got muted fruit, and mostly sweetness.

Medium body, light carbonation. Pretty easy drinking, just left wanting slightly more from the beer than it gave me.

05-15-2010 16:21:33 | More by Chizoad
womencantsail

3.08/5  rDev -16.1%

A: The pour is a slightly hazy golden yellow color with a moderate white head on top.

S: There is a slight sourness to the nose which is present in many of these pale wheat ales. A bit of bread and lemon/citrus as well.

T: There is a nice spice character to the beer that I did not expect from the nose. Cloves and a hint of banana make this seem almost hefeweizen-like for a moment. The sweet, bready and caramel malts follow.

M: The body is a bit on the light side with a moderate carbonation.

D: One of the only "meh" offerings I've come across from Firestone Walker. This isn't bad, but I wouldn't really be interested in having this one again.

05-15-2010 02:49:40 | More by womencantsail
Spikester

Oregon

3.88/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours cloudy orange gold with a two finger white head. Few lacings. Head recedes to a tiny ring.
Aroma is rising bread dough. Taste is somewhat puzzling though. First thing I thought there was some macro-type corniness which transitioned to a Belgian type yeast. Has all the goodness of a wheat beer with the take no prisoners yeast flavor. I like it though it probably won't be have a regular place in my cooler.

05-14-2010 06:12:40 | More by Spikester
nickd717

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle from Whole Foods Los Altos.

Pours a hazy copper color with a nice lacey white head that fades to a ring.

Aroma is wheaty with lemon and slight caramel. Subtle but good.

Flavor is wheat, Munich malt, caramel, lemon, banana, spice, and some grain. Decently tasty, but nothing outstanding. Clean, crisp, and somewhat dry on the palate.

Medium body for the style.

This is pretty drinkable, and definitely a reasonable summer wheat beer. Very enjoyable in the right situation. I heard this one was a flop from one of the first people I knew who had it, but I'd disagree. This one should go over pretty well with Joe Sixpack and shouldn't offend the serious beer geek. For an American Pale Wheat Ale, it's pretty damned good.

05-09-2010 02:09:14 | More by nickd717
barleywinefiend

Washington

3.63/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured a cloudy yellow with good carbonation and a nice white head. Nose is light wheat, banana and citrus. Taste is some citrus, banana and clove. Mouthfeel is lighter bodied with clove, banana and some wheat. Drinkability is good. Would drink again but not to seek out.

04-30-2010 04:45:03 | More by barleywinefiend
DijonKetchup

3.2/5  rDev -12.8%

I was really excited to get this brew a few days ago, and being a fan of FW, I have high expectations for Solace. On to the beer...

Poured a bright yellow/oranage, looks very enticing. Head falls apart amazingly fast, which seems odd for a wheat-based beer. Smells of some citrus and yeast, not getting the banana or clove as anticipated. Maybe a bit bready. The first sip, I think there's something missing. Decent mouthfeel (from the wheat I assume) as expected, but it's just not there. Wow, just very ho-hum. Sure it's drinkable, but I am quite disappointed. No sense in saying "after mowing the lawn, 100 degree weather" beer, because I think that the adjunct lagers have that market sewn up. Nice try, no cigar.

**EDIT** I think it bears mentioning that this review was done as this beer was classified as a saison, not an American Wheat Beer. I guess that's the problem with "hybrids" and reviewing according to BJCP style guidelines.

04-29-2010 20:59:14 | More by DijonKetchup
livewire78

Indiana

4.03/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a golden amber color. Cloudy and pretty. Head isn't much to brag about.

Smells of banana and yeast. A little subdued for my taste. I guess that's pretty typical of the style, though.

Tastes really good. Lovely, light, refreshing, and sweet at the same time. Small amount of banana and clove at the front that fades to a nice mellow yeastiness. I'm not getting the sour that others pick up. Not an intense blast of flavor but what's there is impressive.

Feels just the way I like it. Full and slick at the same time. Not chewy or oily. Yummy!!

They should come up with a new term to describe how drinkable this stuff is. Would be perfect on a hot sunny day or for just lounging and watching the Royals kick some ass!! Yeah, I said it. Royals!!

04-25-2010 00:30:45 | More by livewire78
bunnyhustle

3.53/5  rDev -3.8%

Are they testing this in the Vegas area? I think the last 5 reviews are all from us in town! Anyways tried this from a pint glass. Hazy golden, on the light side of the color spectrum, with virtually no head and subsequently no retention or lacing. I was really surprised about that. Smell was very pleasant, almost hefe like. Some banana, yeast, straw and biscuit, a little citrus. Taste was good but not as nice as the smell. A subtle dry malt with some lemon and citrus. Some grassy/straw parts there too. Overall thought it was under carbonated and left a dry feeling in the mouth behind. This was not a bad beer at all. I applaud Firestone for doing something that probably isnt their specialty and doing a good job. Just not a great job.

04-22-2010 22:36:14 | More by bunnyhustle
Destral

4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

Had a 12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel Tulip. Drinking it now during the NHL Playoffs!

Appearance:
Golden, cloudy, with very little head retention.

Smell:
A lot of citrusy notes, with a bit of banana

Taste:
I love the blending of the hefeweizen and saison styles. A little citrus, a little sour, lots of wheat. Delicious!

Mouthfeel:
Feels pretty light considering all the big beers and imperial stouts I've had lately. A bit heavier than a standard hefeweizen, but goes down very easily

Drinkability:
Witbiers are my go to for warmer weather, but considering I can't ever get Allagash White this is going to be my new choice! If it stays stocked that is. This was very smooth and drinkable, and at 6% its not really a slouch in the ABV department.

04-17-2010 03:18:02 | More by Destral
anchordrinker

3.83/5  rDev +4.4%

A- Hazy, orange-golden appearance that glows in the light. Initially big head dissipates to a small rim. Not much lacing.

S- Sweet banana, spicy yeast, honey, wheat/grainy aromas with subtle citric undertones. Smells like a bavarian hefe with a little more acidic citrus, maybe even a little of sourness in it.

T- Banana, honey, very subtle hints of lemon juice, with an underlying dry grainy wheat flavor that comes through on the finish.

M- Light to medium body, ample prickly carbo further lightens it up.

D- It's very drinkable, but finishing one doesn't make me instinctively reach for another the way some other summer session beers might on a nice, warm spring day like this.

04-15-2010 20:15:25 | More by anchordrinker
KhourysBeerGuy

4.58/5  rDev +24.8%

A - Pours a cloudy, hazy gold with a moderate, quick-to-dissipate white head.

S - lemon and orange peel, banana.

T - quick flash of Runts candy, leading to classic bavarian hefe-bananas. lingering but light finish; slighty bready and herbal.

M - not overpowering at all. great carbonation and slipperiness. very well balanced to the taste.

D - very high. I could see myself having a few of these this summer, especially at 6%.

Overall, I really dig this beer. Very well balanced and drinkable. I swear, one day I will find something on here to write a scathing review about.

04-13-2010 03:26:15 | More by KhourysBeerGuy
JBogan

3.28/5  rDev -10.6%

Firestone has long been one of my favorite breweries so I was looking forward to trying their newest offering.

Solace poured a hazy light orange with a small head which left almost no lacing in my Firestone glass. Not a bad looking beer but nothing exceptional either.

The aroma was of honey, wheat and a bit of lemon.

The taste followed the smell closely. The lemon seemed a bit more noticeable, and there was a hint of earthiness as the beer warmed. No sign of alcohol to be found. I must say however that the overall taste was very faint, almost to the point of being weak. It really needed a boost, perhaps a more tart presence would have been nice. I gave this a 3.0 (Average) in this department, but had to convince myself to even give it that much.

The mouthfeel was decent. Very light and smooth, and with moderate carbonation. It's just about right for the warmer months coming up.

As mentioned, I enjoy nearly everything Firestone puts out, but this beer misses the mark IMO and I'd say it just might be my least favorite of anything they've released. Maybe it will grow on me with time, but for now I'll be reaching for their other beers first.

04-13-2010 02:30:05 | More by JBogan
Halcyondays

3.08/5  rDev -16.1%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a hazy orange with a light white head, good retention.

S: Peaches, candied oranges, but rather light.

T: Stone fruit, nice yeastiness, but overall a mild fruity flavour. It's just OK and doesn't stand out in this category.

M: Crisp and clean, medium-bodied.

D: This could make a nice summer refresher, but it's not very complex and is really more like an American Wheat Beer than a Saison.

04-11-2010 22:04:05 | More by Halcyondays
dwilson01

4.18/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured from a 12oz into a pint glass, small amount of head that is pretty clean looking, dissipates rather quickly and leaves no lacing on the glass.

It's got a great look to it, I love that unfiltered cloudy appearance that it has. It looks like the meat of a mango after you cut into it which is cool.

Smells like this is going to be a refreshing one, it's very mellow on the nose, lots of fruity scent here. Mostly banana and maybe just because I think it looks like a mango this is a preconceived one, but I smell mango too, not only that but a perfectly ripe one too.

The taste is, well let me quote myself talking to myself..."good, that's really good," I was surprised to be honest, and I did have fairly high expectations for this beer to begin with as well! Lots of maltiness in this one, it's smooth and refreshing, and although there is a lot of malt it's not too sweet at all. A great blend between a hefeweizen with the citrusy flavoring and what I guess you call a "saison." The fruity blend in the flavor is mostly apricot, and definitely the banana I picked up in the nose. The finish leaves a bit of a sour taste in the back of the throat as well, but just like the sweet flavor it is very smoothed out and barely detectable.

Mouthfeel is definitely not bad, but it's not the defining characteristic of this beer like the flavor is. It is definitely a thicker malty cream feel throughout the taste and I enjoy it thoroughly.

Quite drinkable, the smoothness, sweet and sour dichotemy, and great fruity flavors in here make this an extremely enjoyable beer. It's got the base of a wheat beer but it's so much more at the same time. Whereas many wheat brews seem to require a slice of lemon or orange to make them drinkable this one stands all on its own and I think that's the way a beer should be broken into.

04-10-2010 00:32:46 | More by dwilson01
JustinA1

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Snifter

A: Pours a bright gold color with a clean, white head. Lacing dissipates rather quickly, Big bubbles mixed in with foam. Not transparent but cleaner than you'd expect.

S: Nice crisp pear smell with a bit of banana and tropical fruit.

T: More banana, clove, and light malt flavors. A little tart and a little sour with a really clean finish. A lot of flavors you'd expect in a Hefeweizen and Saison, nicely blended.

M: Medium body with a slight pucker from the sourness but overall not very astringent. Good mouth coating, light carbonation. Very smooth for a hybrid of these categories.

D: Great replacement for Blue Moon-like beers in my fridge: Light, refreshing, and just way too easy to drink. Seems like it would pair very well a salad on a warm day.

04-08-2010 03:48:20 | More by JustinA1
Zorro

3.68/5  rDev +0.3%

A new arrival at the local best beer store. When I bought this I expected it to be some sort of wheat beer. I was pleasantly pleased to see it is actually a Saison.

The bottle says "Craftily Unfiltered Ale" and it shows this. Cloudy burnt orange colored ale with a small white head.

The scent at first is peaches and vanilla, the vanilla comes from the Burton Union oak brewing system they use. There is a slight citrus scent here mostly lemon. There might be some coriander in this but I can't for sure id it in this one. Lastly there is some banana and cloves to this so it is sort of a wheat beer.6

Starts out sour and since I haven't been eating candy this must be from how dry the beer is. There is some sweetness here but it takes quite a while to show.

Mouthfeel is good.

Drinkability is OK. This is a sort of weird beer that doesn't really have a style. I would have preferred a saison and a wheat beer as separate beers.

04-04-2010 01:31:38 | More by Zorro
Solace from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.