Solace - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

SolaceSolace

good

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: ThreeWiseMen on 04-01-2010

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Solace Alström Bros
2.01/5  rDev -45.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2

I'm trying not to be too harsh, but I really could not drink this beer. It poured well, had a nice hazy unfiltered look with a descent head (what you should expect from an unfiltered wheat beer), but immediately I could tell that I wasn't going to like it. The aroma was overwhelmingly of banana esters and sweet off 'bubble-gum' like flavors. I took a sip and it was just more of the same. After two sips I decided that I couldn't drink it. It's probably just my personal preference, since I HATE bananas. If it was a flavor that I enjoyed this probably could have been a good beer. Odd that it has such a distinct and odd flavor profile. Oh well....

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

3.11/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Served from the bottle into a tulip glass....

Pours a hazy straw yellow with a half a finger head that dissipated quickly to very little lacing around the glass. A little on the fizzy side.

On the nose, not too much going on.... wet grains, wheat, maybe grass and a yeasty note. After swirling, a little more yeast, banana esters and bubblegum comes through.

Tastes of bread, wheat, a slight sour/tartness and maybe a little funk or off-taste (can't decide). A citrus note here along with just a hint of spice.

Mouthfeel is medium-light, not too dry with a bitter yeasty aftertaste, medium carbonation.

Decent wheat beer and certainly not something anyone should run from or flatly refuse if offered. Sessionable and a good summer beer wherever you are. For me, this one is in the middle of the pack compared to other wheat beers I've tried.

Cheers!

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

3.99/5  rDev +9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

An excellent unfiltered heff. Very smooth, but has a tangy zest to it. No much wheat or chew, but an excellent overall heff. Thing of Blue Moon but more character and flavor. Mouthfeel was ok, I found myself trying to get rid of some of the bubbles, bit I can deal deal with that. Overal I thought it was outstanding and would buy this over blue moon or pyramid.

4.5/5  rDev +23%

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

Solace from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.