Solace - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

SolaceSolace

good

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: ThreeWiseMen on 04-01-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Solace Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 426-450 | 451-475 | 476-500  | next › last »

jenray, Nov 23, 2011

John11486, Feb 15, 2012

Fettpopps, Mar 16, 2014

JimHulley, Feb 18, 2012

sharpski, Oct 01, 2013
2.35/5  rDev -36%

So I gave this another try with a reformulated recipe. Only noticeable difference is that now it's lower in alcohol. Which I suppose makes this ok?

Still, this is a seriously disappointing beer. Bland and empty on the palate, with no distinctive wheat character (if going straightforward American Pale Wheat Ale then have an Anchor Summer, for it is king), it manages a kind of perky bubblegum/banana sweetness in the nose that falls of entirely once drank that is pleasant, but less so than any self-respecting Belgian Ale or real German Hefe would ever be, and the tepid refusal to introduce any spicy esters leaves it incredibly one note.

Just a forgettable, pandering, empty brew. I couldn't love Firestone Walker more for virtually every other beer that they make, but they'd be a thousand times better off to simply bottle the Hefeweizen they contract brew for however many restaurants and bars (Blue Palms, say). It's infinitely superior to this bland, boring beer.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:
3.0/2.5/2.5/4.0/2.0
First beer that has really disappointed me from Firestone Walker... and I'm a devotee of the Double Barrel, which gets no love.

Pours a slightly hazy pale straw with a finger or two of purdy craggy head... that dissipates far too quickly and leaves little to no lacing and has very little retention. A wheaty, saison/hefe/pale/whatever should at the very least have a gorgeous head.

Aroma is perfume-y, hints of bubblegum, maybe some banana and just a touch of pepper. Light bread character.

On the palate this is a medium to light bodied beer with excellent, lightly creamy texture and a crisp finish. Unfortunately, it's also relatively bland, and the faintly ester-y aroma is muted behind some fine, but not terribly appealing pale malt. Very little wheat character, although there's a slight twang in the finish.

Fine, whatever, but at 6% I'd expect a very different experience, more esters to start with, and a bit more grain and maybe hops on the palate. This SHOULD be better.

errantnight, Sep 15, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -38.7%

Appearance: clear golden color

Smell: like a lager

Mouthfeel: mild carbonation

Overall: I thought I'd try something different. Firestone markets it as a limited edition. It should remain that way. To be fair, I usually go for stouts, mostly porters.

ahemahem, May 01, 2012
2.08/5  rDev -43.3%

Bottled 27MAR12

Pours a light sap color with solid white, thick sheet. Nose of some citrusy hops, and plenty of sweet wheat with a bit of yeasty character. Very delicate flavor profile - some sweetness, some yeast, some floral tones; all low players. Way too thin for my preference and low carb as well leave this beer watery and disappointing. I'm not a fan, could be the 5 months in the bottle, but I don't find American what beers to generally be much better fresh.

harrymel, Aug 19, 2012
2.05/5  rDev -44.1%

I love this brewery, but this beer is a complete misfire.

Pours gold, with a big white foam head. Slightly hazy.

No real smell. Maybe just a whiff of wheat-y grass and yeast. Not pleasant.

Tastes like sickly, weirdly farmyard-y wheat, some light ... I don't know ... chaff.

Really not sure what they were going for. Too bubbly with a light mouthfeel.

Overlord, May 21, 2010

Paige, Sep 30, 2012

FarmerTed, Sep 15, 2012

Skunkdrool, Nov 17, 2011

2neardead, Sep 03, 2012
1.96/5  rDev -46.6%

I'm trying not to be too harsh, but I really could not drink this beer. It poured well, had a nice hazy unfiltered look with a descent head (what you should expect from an unfiltered wheat beer), but immediately I could tell that I wasn't going to like it. The aroma was overwhelmingly of banana esters and sweet off 'bubble-gum' like flavors. I took a sip and it was just more of the same. After two sips I decided that I couldn't drink it. It's probably just my personal preference, since I HATE bananas. If it was a flavor that I enjoyed this probably could have been a good beer. Odd that it has such a distinct and odd flavor profile. Oh well....

merman69, Dec 21, 2013

Maurod4d, Jan 05, 2013
« first ‹ prev | 426-450 | 451-475 | 476-500  | next › last »
Solace from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.