Solace - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

SolaceSolace

good

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: ThreeWiseMen on 04-01-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Solace Alström Bros
3.4/5  rDev -6.1%

on tap at Alembic SFO 5.29.2010, $6.00 for imperial pint poured into nonic glass.

Light golden fairly clear body (chill haze?) one finger white head, medium dissipation with some lacing. Nose is pretty spicy, coriander with some lemon zest. The taste is quite sweet, more like a wit than a APWA, a bit too sweet for the style, may be attributable to the yeast, a bit funky. Mouthfeel is medium, minimal effervescence. Pretty drinkable, but once again too sweet for the style. My least favorite Firestone Walker beer to date. (525 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours a golden orange color with less than a finger of head that quickly dissipates leaving lackluster lacing.

Smell - Grains, wheat, slight hops and bready malt. Slight citrus such as lemon zest.

Taste - Honestly an odd taste. Prevalent wheat and lemon/orange zest. A slight metallic flavor also? Kind of an "ehh" beer to me.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied, light carbonation.

Drinkability - I guess if I was drinking this on a hot summer day it might be better, but I'm just not feeling this beer. (510 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -9.9%

12 oz bottle courtesy of tjensen3618 is a recent NHL BIF, thanks Tyler! Pours a very hazy medium gold color with a surprisingly small, lifeless off-white foam. Poor retention and zero lacing.

Nose has a ton of wheat tang and huskiness to it. Mix in some bubblegum and bananas with a shot or two of alcohol. Pretty unique smelling brew, not bad at all.

Kind of an oxidized malty flavor and sweet wheat. Somewhat creamy with too heavy of an alcohol presence for a summer brew. Almost gets cloying, but a little hop bite on the end keeps it from being so. Undercarbonated, for sure as not even a swirl can not get any bubbles to rise to the top. I was really looking forward to drinking this, my first FW brew. I would like to try it again to give it a fair shake, but this bottle was a bit disappointing. (804 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy golden color with a small white head that leaves a decent amount of lacing on the glass.

Smells of light wheat and citrus notes.

Tastes of wheat notes with some spice on the end. Notes of banana and clove come through. Citrus notes also present with some fruitiness.

Mouthfeel is light and has a smooth amount of carbonation. (341 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -0.3%

poured into a pint glass, butterscotch yellow with yeast floaters and a decent head and lace

smells bready and a little spicy

tastes bready, malty, and a little smokey and a mild sweet finish

mouthfeel is somewhat thick with a mild carbonation

drinkability is high, not my favorite wheat beer, but definitely one I will have again. (335 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Cloudy and golden, this lacked much head at the pour, and minimal lacing as well.

S - Fairly mild scents of citrus, banana, some spice and bread.

T - Quite nicely balanced. Some hefeweizen there in the wheat and banana, with just a touch of saison spiciness and fruit. This is a nice mix.

M - Just moderate carbonation and light bodied, it was nevertheless fuller than a typical hefe.

D - Very refreshing on a warm day, and I liked the mix of styles. Will pick up more of this while it is in season. (508 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -2.5%

Had on tap at Lucky Baldwin's in Pasadena, CA. Quite cloudy medium maize colour. About a finger of whitish head that disippated very quickly. Smells like a wheat beer. Tastes citruisy with bready malts. Reminds me a lot of New Belgium Sunshine Wheat or Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat. A tiny bit of spiciness, a smidge of cloves, absolutely no hint of bananas. Mouthfeel is thin but refreshing, very drinkable. Decent wheat beer, almost approaching a Saison, but nothing to write home about. (487 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -9.9%

Pours with a hazy dark gold color with generous white head at first that dissipates to not much soon thereafter. Nose is very faint with some lemon/orange. Palate has light malt & wheaty flavors with a hint of citrus. Light bodied and light on the finish. Easy drinking. (270 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

City Beer Store. Oddly bland and boring for Firestone Walker. I don't think this one was a very good choice for their new six-pack beer. Pours a cloudy light golden color with a decent white head that dissipated a bit quickly. The aroma is weak - mild but decent malt, a touch of citrus/orange, nondescript yeast. The flavor is just nondescript. I'm not a big fan of "summer beers," and I imagine that was what they were shooting for here, but this is a beer that I won't remember in a week. For that matter, this beer is getting a healthy style bump - I don't get why there are so many bland American-style wheat ales. Sorry, FW, you make a lot of incredible beers, but this isn't one of them. (694 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -43.1%

I love this brewery, but this beer is a complete misfire.

Pours gold, with a big white foam head. Slightly hazy.

No real smell. Maybe just a whiff of wheat-y grass and yeast. Not pleasant.

Tastes like sickly, weirdly farmyard-y wheat, some light ... I don't know ... chaff.

Really not sure what they were going for. Too bubbly with a light mouthfeel. (356 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is a golden cloudy color with a slight head and a little lacing. The scent is very citrusy, mainly lemon and oranges, but the wheat is present.

The taste is pretty typical of a wheat ale. There is a little bit of a bite at the end which is nice and it is also quite smooth.

This is great on a hot summer day. (317 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -7.7%

Bought a 6-pack at at BevMo.I hate how they keep some of their beers warm. My 6-pack was warm so I gave it a day in the fridge and poured into a pint glass.

Appearence is excellent. All my friends remarked that every beer should look so good. Unfiltered and beautiful. Golden yellow and orange and cant see a centimeter into it.

Sadly that was the best part about it.

Smell- lacking one. Mildly sweet and fruity.

Taste- Lacking one also. Very mild. Very weak. It's not bad, just not what I was expecting from a Firestone Walker beer. Hints of fruit. Just bland.

Mouthfeel- Pretty good from what I remember. Not too heavy or light.

Drinkability- Too easy. The lack of taste and fact that it's extremely smooth make consuming it too easy. I killed the 6er in no time.

Not a bad beer, just would like some more flavor. No offense to the women out there, but I think this is a good beer for the ladies. (908 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -0.6%

I was quite impressed by the pint that came my way. Not much in the way of head, but a beautiful, cloudy, unfiltered mass of beer. Orange-yellow.

Picked up some fruit, perhaps orange blossom and grapefruit on the nose, along with a bit of sweetness.

It's really too bad that the taste doesn't quite live up to the smell, although that's not to say it tastes bad. I got muted fruit, and mostly sweetness.

Medium body, light carbonation. Pretty easy drinking, just left wanting slightly more from the beer than it gave me. (524 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -14.9%

A: The pour is a slightly hazy golden yellow color with a moderate white head on top.

S: There is a slight sourness to the nose which is present in many of these pale wheat ales. A bit of bread and lemon/citrus as well.

T: There is a nice spice character to the beer that I did not expect from the nose. Cloves and a hint of banana make this seem almost hefeweizen-like for a moment. The sweet, bready and caramel malts follow.

M: The body is a bit on the light side with a moderate carbonation.

D: One of the only "meh" offerings I've come across from Firestone Walker. This isn't bad, but I wouldn't really be interested in having this one again. (652 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours cloudy orange gold with a two finger white head. Few lacings. Head recedes to a tiny ring.
Aroma is rising bread dough. Taste is somewhat puzzling though. First thing I thought there was some macro-type corniness which transitioned to a Belgian type yeast. Has all the goodness of a wheat beer with the take no prisoners yeast flavor. I like it though it probably won't be have a regular place in my cooler. (414 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle from Whole Foods Los Altos.

Pours a hazy copper color with a nice lacey white head that fades to a ring.

Aroma is wheaty with lemon and slight caramel. Subtle but good.

Flavor is wheat, Munich malt, caramel, lemon, banana, spice, and some grain. Decently tasty, but nothing outstanding. Clean, crisp, and somewhat dry on the palate.

Medium body for the style.

This is pretty drinkable, and definitely a reasonable summer wheat beer. Very enjoyable in the right situation. I heard this one was a flop from one of the first people I knew who had it, but I'd disagree. This one should go over pretty well with Joe Sixpack and shouldn't offend the serious beer geek. For an American Pale Wheat Ale, it's pretty damned good. (736 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured a cloudy yellow with good carbonation and a nice white head. Nose is light wheat, banana and citrus. Taste is some citrus, banana and clove. Mouthfeel is lighter bodied with clove, banana and some wheat. Drinkability is good. Would drink again but not to seek out. (271 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -11.9%

I was really excited to get this brew a few days ago, and being a fan of FW, I have high expectations for Solace. On to the beer...

Poured a bright yellow/oranage, looks very enticing. Head falls apart amazingly fast, which seems odd for a wheat-based beer. Smells of some citrus and yeast, not getting the banana or clove as anticipated. Maybe a bit bready. The first sip, I think there's something missing. Decent mouthfeel (from the wheat I assume) as expected, but it's just not there. Wow, just very ho-hum. Sure it's drinkable, but I am quite disappointed. No sense in saying "after mowing the lawn, 100 degree weather" beer, because I think that the adjunct lagers have that market sewn up. Nice try, no cigar.

**EDIT** I think it bears mentioning that this review was done as this beer was classified as a saison, not an American Wheat Beer. I guess that's the problem with "hybrids" and reviewing according to BJCP style guidelines. (943 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a golden amber color. Cloudy and pretty. Head isn't much to brag about.

Smells of banana and yeast. A little subdued for my taste. I guess that's pretty typical of the style, though.

Tastes really good. Lovely, light, refreshing, and sweet at the same time. Small amount of banana and clove at the front that fades to a nice mellow yeastiness. I'm not getting the sour that others pick up. Not an intense blast of flavor but what's there is impressive.

Feels just the way I like it. Full and slick at the same time. Not chewy or oily. Yummy!!

They should come up with a new term to describe how drinkable this stuff is. Would be perfect on a hot sunny day or for just lounging and watching the Royals kick some ass!! Yeah, I said it. Royals!! (753 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -2.2%

Are they testing this in the Vegas area? I think the last 5 reviews are all from us in town! Anyways tried this from a pint glass. Hazy golden, on the light side of the color spectrum, with virtually no head and subsequently no retention or lacing. I was really surprised about that. Smell was very pleasant, almost hefe like. Some banana, yeast, straw and biscuit, a little citrus. Taste was good but not as nice as the smell. A subtle dry malt with some lemon and citrus. Some grassy/straw parts there too. Overall thought it was under carbonated and left a dry feeling in the mouth behind. This was not a bad beer at all. I applaud Firestone for doing something that probably isnt their specialty and doing a good job. Just not a great job. (743 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +13.3%

Had a 12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel Tulip. Drinking it now during the NHL Playoffs!

Appearance:
Golden, cloudy, with very little head retention.

Smell:
A lot of citrusy notes, with a bit of banana

Taste:
I love the blending of the hefeweizen and saison styles. A little citrus, a little sour, lots of wheat. Delicious!

Mouthfeel:
Feels pretty light considering all the big beers and imperial stouts I've had lately. A bit heavier than a standard hefeweizen, but goes down very easily

Drinkability:
Witbiers are my go to for warmer weather, but considering I can't ever get Allagash White this is going to be my new choice! If it stays stocked that is. This was very smooth and drinkable, and at 6% its not really a slouch in the ABV department. (752 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +5.5%

A- Hazy, orange-golden appearance that glows in the light. Initially big head dissipates to a small rim. Not much lacing.

S- Sweet banana, spicy yeast, honey, wheat/grainy aromas with subtle citric undertones. Smells like a bavarian hefe with a little more acidic citrus, maybe even a little of sourness in it.

T- Banana, honey, very subtle hints of lemon juice, with an underlying dry grainy wheat flavor that comes through on the finish.

M- Light to medium body, ample prickly carbo further lightens it up.

D- It's very drinkable, but finishing one doesn't make me instinctively reach for another the way some other summer session beers might on a nice, warm spring day like this. (686 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +26.2%

A - Pours a cloudy, hazy gold with a moderate, quick-to-dissipate white head.

S - lemon and orange peel, banana.

T - quick flash of Runts candy, leading to classic bavarian hefe-bananas. lingering but light finish; slighty bready and herbal.

M - not overpowering at all. great carbonation and slipperiness. very well balanced to the taste.

D - very high. I could see myself having a few of these this summer, especially at 6%.

Overall, I really dig this beer. Very well balanced and drinkable. I swear, one day I will find something on here to write a scathing review about. (579 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -8.3%

Firestone has long been one of my favorite breweries so I was looking forward to trying their newest offering.

Solace poured a hazy light orange with a small head which left almost no lacing in my Firestone glass. Not a bad looking beer but nothing exceptional either.

The aroma was of honey, wheat and a bit of lemon.

The taste followed the smell closely. The lemon seemed a bit more noticeable, and there was a hint of earthiness as the beer warmed. No sign of alcohol to be found. I must say however that the overall taste was very faint, almost to the point of being weak. It really needed a boost, perhaps a more tart presence would have been nice. I gave this a 3.0 (Average) in this department, but had to convince myself to even give it that much.

The mouthfeel was decent. Very light and smooth, and with moderate carbonation. It's just about right for the warmer months coming up.

As mentioned, I enjoy nearly everything Firestone puts out, but this beer misses the mark IMO and I'd say it just might be my least favorite of anything they've released. Maybe it will grow on me with time, but for now I'll be reaching for their other beers first. (1,161 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -14.9%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a hazy orange with a light white head, good retention.

S: Peaches, candied oranges, but rather light.

T: Stone fruit, nice yeastiness, but overall a mild fruity flavour. It's just OK and doesn't stand out in this category.

M: Crisp and clean, medium-bodied.

D: This could make a nice summer refresher, but it's not very complex and is really more like an American Wheat Beer than a Saison. (418 characters)

Solace from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.