Firestone 14 - Anniversary Ale - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Firestone 14 - Anniversary AleFirestone 14 - Anniversary Ale

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  12.50% ABV

Beer added by: ZX6Chris on 11-02-2010

The blend consists of: 31% Double Double Barrel Ale, 29% Sticky Monkey, 27% Parabola, 7% Velvet Merkin, 3% Good Foot, 3% Black Xantus
Reviews by RBassSFHOPit2ME:
4.17/5  rDev -5.2%

Bottle poured into Delirium Tremens Snifter

Appearance - DARK brown, When held up to the light you can see through the glass a bit but expected based on the primary Blend and all the barleywine blended as well. Semi-aggressive pour yields 1/4 inch head that dissapated quickly. Good

Smell - Without a doubt the best aspect of this beer. Smells like desert. Vanilla, Chocolate Creme Brulee desert, Toffee, and Bourbon. Blended very well I'd say based on the fact that none of these overpower the other. Coconut-ish Toffee candy soaked in bourbon I'd describe.

Taste - Follows nose almost exactly. Almost a coniac (spelling?) thing going on. Toffee, Caramel, Coconut Bourbon and mild Chocolate forward. The only problem I have with this beer is that it's a bit sweet but not overly so. Finishing a bomber solo might bring that sweetness out more towards the end. This is a desert beer for sure. I did prefer the 13 over this one but not by a huge margin. Good but not great. If pairing with Creme Brulee or caramel flavored desert you might go as far to say great. Not too hot at all. The slight alcohol warmth is a quite pleasant addition actually. Raisins also present.

Mouthfeel - Pretty damn great. Not overly carbonated - about perfect for the style. If a bit too carbonated, swirl in the glass a few times to get the nose and mellow it out some! Not to thin but not too thick at all for 12.5%

Drinkability - At 12.5% not bad at all. It's slightly warm but expected. Not too hard to polish off a bomber myself but the sweetness affects it some and not wanting more after the bomber is done.

Final Thoughts - Not sure age will make this beer THAT much better. I see it improving for a year but not much more afterward. Age will mellow out the alcohol but at the same time will amplify the sweetness some I'd bet on. I liked how the freshness of the hops and amount of ABV heat mellowed out the sweetness while fresh. I oped this beer simply curious if I liked it enough to buy another and to get an idea if age would serve this beer well. Although this is a solid brew and I liked it, I will not be buying another, especially at the price tag. Money better spent on Parabola without batting an eye. To many however, I can see how this beer can be argued worth the price tag.

4.75/5  rDev +8%

4.75/5  rDev +8%

3.76/5  rDev -14.5%

Thanks to mar for sharing this bottle. I have been looking forward to this one.

The beer pours a dark brown coilor with a white head. The aroma is a disappointment. It it not bad, but it is not what I was expecting. I get a lot of soy and toffee, as well as some leather. I also get something that resembles trash. Hopefully the flavor will be better.

For the flavor, I get a lot of roasted malt and chocolate, which is coupled with a lot of barrel-aging characteristics. I get a nice amount of oak and maple, as well as quite a bit of vanilla. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Luckily, the flavor was much better than the aroma, which salvaged this beer. Glad I got to try this one.

4.28/5  rDev -2.7%

22oz bomber poured into a wine glass.

Pours a very dark black color with hints of ruby and a small ring of dark brown head. Nose is a bit sweet, but very oaky and mellow with very little booze.

Taste is amazing, super complex with raisins, dark fruit, sweet malt and sharp flavors. Very drinkable given the abv. very tasty beer.

4.31/5  rDev -2%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle (2010)

Thanks for the gift, NoSignsOfPain!

(Aged 1 year)

Very dark brown in color with ruby red highlights near the edges. There is very little visible carbonation and no head to speak of whatsoever.

Divine aroma of toasted coconut macaroon cookies, bittersweet chocolate, mild roast, and plenty of earthy and vanilla bourbon notes. Complete. Mild hint of alcohol until it warms fully to room temperature, then more booze certainly becomes present.

Coconut, bourbon, roast, mild chocolate, and a bit of alcohol heat make for a lovely combination.

Medium mouthfeel with very low carbonation.

A wonderful blend, though I wish it would have been just a tad more carbonated (and thicker).

4.56/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.19/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Black. Expected lighter given the other beers in the blend that aren't stouts. Bourbon dominated nose.

Easy drinking for the abv. Muddles all the beers blended, I can't taste Parabola or Velvit Merlin, etc. . . but it is interesting. Bourbon is heavy, but not as much as its aroma was. A little bit of everything else, chocolate, oak, vanilla, rummy sweetness, brandy, some other kind of wood heavier than oak, chicory? Not too thick, actually on the thinner side of most beers in this abv range. Maybe a kick of dark sugar.

While this was great fresh on tap, I think it definitely has the build to age miraculously. Of my bottles, I'm going to hang on to all of them for at least one year I think. This really seems ageable.

3.75/5  rDev -14.8%

4.9/5  rDev +11.4%

This beer pours a very dark brown color that when held up to the light just barely shows a slight dark mohogany color. It boasts a thin light brown head that fades fast, leaving no lace.

There is a lot going on in the nose on this one. I detect dark fruits up front. Figs and raisins. I get some smooth vanilla. Bourbon is present, but not overpowering. Some bitter cocoa. Sweet toffee and caramel mix in as well. You can detect the 12.5% ABV in this aroma.

This beer has as complef a flavor as it does aroma. Vanilla first, with some fig/raisin flavors. Bourbon is present, more dominate in the flavor than the aroma. It has a very sweet caramel flavor. It is damn sweet.

This beer is very full bodies. It warms the mouth, throat, and stomach on the way down. This beer is low in carbonation, fitting the style.

This beer is definately a sipper. The very aggressive flavor and the high alcohol content make this one hard to put down by myself, but I think I will manage.

Overall: I felt that the 4th of July would be as good a day to crack open the $22.95 bottle. I have been sitting on it for a while. I am glad that I opened it. It is great. Firestone Walker is quickly becoming one of my favorite breweries. This beer is great and will last all night long.

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Firestone 14 - Anniversary Ale from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.