Firestone 14 - Anniversary Ale - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Firestone 14 - Anniversary AleFirestone 14 - Anniversary Ale

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  12.50% ABV

Beer added by: ZX6Chris on 11-02-2010

The blend consists of: 31% Double Double Barrel Ale, 29% Sticky Monkey, 27% Parabola, 7% Velvet Merkin, 3% Good Foot, 3% Black Xantus
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 681 | Reviews: 296
3.87/5  rDev -12%

Hazelnut color. Coffee bubble tan head leaves a lacey coral display consistent skim of retention. Pretty good for 12.5%.

Eathy, dare I say natural aroma of wood char, cocoa nib, blackberry brandy,and dark coffee grounds that have sat in the bodom all night because I forgot to wash it.

With multiple layers of flavor its as complex as all get out. Char, bitter bakers chocolate and brownie batter. Blackberry and black cherry buried under all the char and chocolate. Mild heat. Plush mouthfeel.

I can see what the hype is all about but it's just not my bag baby. There's almost too much going that I can't comfortably process it all. Like acid jazz in beer form.

4.42/5  rDev +0.5%

drank last night with friends; reviewed from notes.

poured into snifter glass.

Appearance: light to medium black bodied beer with a light to medium brown colored head. This beer head is quite light and fluffy; definately 2 plus fingers of head.

Smell: The beer smells awesome. My mouth began to water when I smelled this beer. Coffee, caramel, brown sugar, vanilla, molasses, and light herbal and grassy hops that almost go below my noses radar.

Taste: This beer is also very similiar to the nose in how it tastes. Chocolate, caramel, brown sugar, and bourbon are all out in the front of this beer. Oak, dark fruits and coffee linger, but are of lesser strength. Its very balanced beer even though alot of the flavors i am picking out are flavors that normally taste sweet. U get some alcohol burn in the finish which does become a bit stronger when the beer warms

Mouthfeel: Medium and boderline on being a full bodied beer. Moderate carbonation. This beer is really creamy.

Overall: I tried Firestone Walker 13 Anniversary the night before Dark Lord 2010. I remember really enjoy that beer, but it was before the days of me reviewing beers. I was hoping this beer would be off similiar qualtity or better than i remember the Anniversary series beer tasting. It is glad i have more bottles of this beer! Think I will be trying Firestone 15 can't wait for that one to hit shelves. Must try this beer!

4.37/5  rDev -0.7%

Boring Friday night, finally time to open this bad boy. I bought this particular bottle some months ago and I have another I got in a trade. Bomber into a big ol snifter.

Pours black, beige head retains as a nice bubbly ring and leaves some lacing.

Like 13, lots of good aromas here. Chocolate, brown sugar, leather, tobacco, some oak and vanilla, but surprisingly not much bourbon.

Taste brings on the bourbon and oak but it's balanced well with chocolate, caramel, vanilla, molasses. Dark fruit (cherries especially) come out alot with some warmth. Hop presence is a bit strong.

Extremely smooth, creamy mouthfeel, a bit of alcohol heat but that was expected.

Barrel beer from Firestone Walker, can't go wrong pretty much. Compared to 13, I thought this had a bit more heat (although it had less age on it), and more of a dark fruit and hoppy feel to it. A pretty awesome blend of flavors. My other bottle I'll break out in a couple years.

More notes - 11/23/12 - Wow, time flies! Shared a 2-year old bottle at a tasting on Black Friday 2012. At this point, not too much change here really, still quite awesome, maybe a bit mellower- though alcohol does come out more with warmth this is still a little too easy to drink at 12.5%. Great balance of chocolate, bourbon, dark fruit flavors and still some hoppage there as well. Ample carbonation. This is a treat and worth aging I'd say, wish I had another bottle.

4.85/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured out of 22 oz bomber

A: Very dark brown, close to blackness but when held up to the light can see the brown. Light tan head that is fairly small, but continual lacing

S: The question would really be what do you not smell? Get a bit of everything, fig, coffee, brown sugar, slight hop presence, slight vanilla smell also.

T: The taste is even more complex than the nose. Immediately hit with alcohol presence that was nearly absent from the nose, reminded me of a good quad when it initially hit my tongue. Then fades into a nice roasted malt flavor ending with lots of smooth coffee. Parabola is very present at the end of the sip and aftertaste.

F: Very smooth, not tons of carbonation, which, to me, is perfect for this beer. Left with alcohol warmth on my tongue and in my chest a bit after the sip.

Overall this beer is godly. I'm glad I picked up more than one for aging purposes. Very complex brew and I would pick up more in an instant if I hadn't bought the last from my store.

4.33/5  rDev -1.6%

Nice looking beer. Dark Mahogany with a silky tan head. Nose a bit light, but has hints of oak, brandy, bourbon, dark malts, candy and vanilla. Taste is sweet, but well balanced by English hops. Medium body, light carb, thin finish. Drinks well despite weak finish.

4.52/5  rDev +2.7%

Cracking this one to celebrate good health. The brew pours a coffee-brown hue, translucent on the edges, and is capped with a thin tan cap. The nose is sweet and boozy, offering notes of toffee, molasses, Medjool dates, vanilla, and buttery oak. The taste is right in line with the aroma, burnt sugars, oak, toffee-caramel, dark and golden fruit, a long drying slightly tannic finish, and it has a heavy barrel presence as well. As to the barrel treatment's effect, it reminds me of EC 50-50 Eclipse and/or 2010 BB4D, with a very mellow sensibility of sweet woodiness more than in-your face alcohol. Very smooth mouthfeel, silky. I am very happy with this beer, overall, and have enjoyed it quite a bit over the past couple hours.

4.9/5  rDev +11.4%

This beer pours a very dark brown color that when held up to the light just barely shows a slight dark mohogany color. It boasts a thin light brown head that fades fast, leaving no lace.

There is a lot going on in the nose on this one. I detect dark fruits up front. Figs and raisins. I get some smooth vanilla. Bourbon is present, but not overpowering. Some bitter cocoa. Sweet toffee and caramel mix in as well. You can detect the 12.5% ABV in this aroma.

This beer has as complef a flavor as it does aroma. Vanilla first, with some fig/raisin flavors. Bourbon is present, more dominate in the flavor than the aroma. It has a very sweet caramel flavor. It is damn sweet.

This beer is very full bodies. It warms the mouth, throat, and stomach on the way down. This beer is low in carbonation, fitting the style.

This beer is definately a sipper. The very aggressive flavor and the high alcohol content make this one hard to put down by myself, but I think I will manage.

Overall: I felt that the 4th of July would be as good a day to crack open the $22.95 bottle. I have been sitting on it for a while. I am glad that I opened it. It is great. Firestone Walker is quickly becoming one of my favorite breweries. This beer is great and will last all night long.

4.22/5  rDev -4.1%

On-tap at 38 Degrees, on to the beer:

Dark leather brown in color with a little lace that remains on top. The nose is very sweet and obviously influcenced by the barrel aging process. Whiskey and maple syrup are among the aromas coming from the liquid.

Bam! It's rich and it's delish. Some oak, toasted sugar, toffee, and marshmallow come out with good quantities. Still, it's a very mellow beverage, especially with the alcohol being buried quite well.

To sum it up, yet another worthy concoction to be made for the Anniversary series.

4.07/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter.
A: Pretty much pitch black with a small caramel colored head. More brown than black when held up to light but still looks stoutish.

S: Lots of oak along with some bourbon and sweet vanilla. Lots going on in the nose. Alcohol notes to remind you its a big boy beer. Everything Im looking for in a beer like this.

T: Dominated by oak and a carmel sweetness. Molasses and a little dry alcohol burn in the finish. Booze is noticeable but tolerable .

M: lower level of carbonation than I would like. Also a little thinner mouthfeel than expected.

O: Drinks smoothly for a bigger beer and sports a fair amount of complexity. Can't wait to try this one with some age on it.

3.95/5  rDev -10.2%

Thanks to Ratman for procuring a bottle of this one for me. Poured a very dark brown/black color with a very small brown head. Aromas of booze, bourbon, chocolate and vanilla. On the palate, this one was thick, smooth and full bodied, very boozy, with flavors of oak, toffee, chocolate, bourbon and vanilla. Pretty good, but not as amazing as I had hoped.

4.38/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Poured into Lost Abbey stem glass. Dark chocolate appearance with minimal head.

S - Smells chocolatey, roasty with a hint of the bourbon coming through. Smells a little boozy, but really minimal.

T - Wow! Toffee, chocolatey, caramel flavors are strong. Definitely influenced by the bourbon barrels but not overly done. Taste some of the alcohol but not too strong that it takes away from the beer.

M - Perfect mouthfeel. Allows you to really take in all of the flavor.

O - I love this drink. I'm not huge into beers that are aged in bourbon barrels yet but this one is beautifully done. It has a lot of rich flavors with a hint of the bourbon which complements great. I would definitely give this beer another go!

4.45/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

My 100th review so I decided to be corny and break out an expensive/nice beer, also I have a lot in my cellar and never seem to drink it.

Split the bomber with my girlfriend into two Lost Abbey stemmed glasses.

Appearance: Deep dark brown with ruby notes around the edges. One finger tan head that recedes to lacing. Very appealing beer to look at, though the head could consist of a more tightly packed set of bubbles, some of them look a little soapy.

Smell: Deep caramel notes. Very vibrant nose. Can definitely smell the impact of the barrels, especially the bourbon. Smells very sweet and appealing, I think I could smell this all day. Slight booziness, but that is expected from a 12.5% beer.

Taste: Reminds me of some of the Angel's Share beers I have recently had. Very similar actually. I certainly get a lot of the caramel notes from the nose. Very complex taste, its very weird to taste the transformation throughout the different parts of the sip. Starts off somewhat hoppy and citrusy then moves to the deep caramel and some chocolate notes and finishes with the bourbon barrel taste. Very fun to taste the changes. Booze is very well hidden though this is certainly still a sipper.

Mouthfeel: I wish it was a bit thicker but it still has a full mouthfeel. Higher carbonation bite than expected but it really does not detract from the overall taste.

Overall: Great beer. I will have my other one during the winter months when I need a nice heavy hitting sipping beer. Quite pricy but I really do not regret spending the money. Firestone Walker: you have made a winner!

4.8/5  rDev +9.1%

Managed to snag a bottle of this in Jersey - tough to come by in PA even though distribution just opened up here.

Poured into a Gouden Draak snifter...I think that did it justice. Poured rather dark, woody brown.

The nose was one that made you know exactly what to expect, toffee, bit of alcohol, candy sugar, bit of wood/earthiness. I'm not a huge fan of pointing out particular scents as they might change based on whatever is around you, so you be the judge.

Mouthfeel was a tiny bit boozy but nothing overwhelming. I'll comment with taste on this, but compared to say, the Bourbon Barreled Angel's Share from Lost Abbey (which was great) it was incredibly smooth.

The taste, very simply, matched the smell of this beer. Toffee, candy sugar, bit of oak (considering the fact that this was the blend of a ton of oaked beers, the 'bit' was surprising). Great stuff.

This was some awesome stuff. The brilliance of the blend is equaled by the taste of this beer. Really hope to get my hands on another bottle.

4.47/5  rDev +1.6%

S: Rich toffee, burnt caramel, some dark fruit, some bourbon and oak, dark chocolate as it warms.

L: Dark black, off-white head that dissipates to a ring of foam.

T: Rich toffee up front with just a hint of roast. Medium low herbal bitterness leads to more rich toffee and bourbony oak. Finishes semi-sweet with toffee and bourbon oak, but restrained by the oak dryness. A very hint of roast throughout.

M: Medium mouthfeel, medium low carbonation, some alcohol detectable.

Fantastic beer, definitely malt forward with some oak and bourbon restrained. Would like a touch more roast to round out the flavors. Why other breweries don't blend their beer is beyond me, this is an amazing example.

4.23/5  rDev -3.9%

Bottle. Poured into my classic Founders Glass tulip a dark brown mahagony color with a tan head. LOTS of aromas in the nose of molasses, dark chocolate, vanilla, toasted oats, dark fruit, bourbon, and the boose heat. Medium mouthfeel, very velvety and slick feel. The taste is just as complex as the nose. Dark fruit notes in the front with a creamy vanilla flavor as well. Very complex. The barrel isn't dominant but there as well. This is solid. Warming heat from the alcohol.

4.03/5  rDev -8.4%

Thanks Peter for sharing this one!

Poured into stone snifter. Pours a light layer of khaki beige head. Color is a deep copper hued brown.

Aroma: Oaky and vanilla. I definitely smell the black xantus. Chocolate and roasted malts. Some coffee. Very sharp. Whiskey or bourbon flavors.

Taste: Oak and bourbon here. Lots of chocolate and cocoa. Roasted malts and coffee. Some dark fruits. Vanilla. Parabola and Black Xantus flavors. A bit of heat.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and roasted. Velvety. Full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends a bit dry and roasted.

Overall, this was a pretty solid anniversary beer. Very enjoyable. I like the barrel flavors. Nose was a bit weak, but the taste made up for it.

4.35/5  rDev -1.1%

A - Dark reddish beer that looks almost black in a dimly lit room. Tan head that left some stick on the sides.

S - Decently hot, with barrel, bourbon, chocolate, and oak. Even though it smells a bit hot, I actually likes this quite a bit.

T - Taste is great. While there is a decent bit of alcohol heat in there, the caramel, vanilla, oak, and barrel flavors in this are really nice. A little bit buttery, even hot I think this is good. Can see it being flat out awesome with a little age.

M - Nice carbonation, smooth, caramely, good stuff.

O - Great beer, I'm a huge fan of this and in doing the vertical I think this was actually my favorite one, even with it being as new as it is.

4.62/5  rDev +5%

173 reviews and the lowest is a B-. Finally, some consensus on a beer: we all think this is a good one! :)

Honestly, I had low expectations for this beer. I'm not sure why, but the box it came in and the information sheet that was included just seemed to be setting me up for disappointment, as if it was all too good to be true. Thankfully, the Firestone Fourteenth Anniversary Ale is quite simply put, the bomb.

THE APPEARANCE was one of the lowest points for me in that I couldn't seem to achieve much head when pouring into two different glasses. The dark brown beer resembled maple syrup, in some ways, which was interesting and made up for the lack of foam. There is also thick, goopy lacing with this beer which just seems to scream "aged and intense!"

THE SMELL is of very strong bourbon, chocolate, oak, vanilla, and alcohol. It is very complex and quite difficult to isolate any one particular aroma.

THE FEEL is thick and creamy. Nice and full, as it should be for such a beer.

THE FLAVORS, as the smell suggests, are very complex and varied. For me, it went like this: bourbon aged stout -> chocolate -> coffee -> chocolate. Incredibly, there is a good amount of coffee detectable as well ("Incredible" because a coffee-flavored beer only makes up 3% of this blend, according to the information sheet provided). This an extremely sweet, highly alcoholic beer. However, it is easily the smoothest, most drinkable bourbon-barrel beer I've had, and I bet it would hold it's own against the best of the rest. It's just amazingly drinkable. Because the overall quality is sweet and it is only slightly hoppy I can see many beergeeks frowning on this one. I think this beer has something for everyone though. In fact, it reminded me a lot of sherry, so I can see this beer having huge cross-over appeal for wine drinkers.

THE ONLY DOWNSIDE of this was the price. $20 seems a bit steep for a regular old brown glass bottle and standard, metal crown cap. The box and information sheet came across to me as justification for the high price. Deschutes charges half that for their aged beers and they probably carry a better reputation. I would value this at $15, max.

4.16/5  rDev -5.5%

Normally I would buy a single beer for $21.99 but I had a special occasion to celebrate so I figured why not? and so far I am not regretting it. I have never had an anniversary beer from FW so I didn't know what to expect going into this but that's fun part.

Pours very dark red. I hold it up to the light and I can see red where the light shines through in the corners of the glass. I would of guessed black.

Smells of molasses and other things I can't quite put my finger on.

Tastes sweet. I get pears which is very good. I know pears is an odd thing to get from a beer but everyones taste buds are different.

Overall I really like it, besides the excessive alcohol burn. Being this is my first anniversary beer from Firestone Walker I can't compare the 14 to the previous vintages but then again every year might be different but I'm not sure. I would just like to get another and have one with some age on it. Unfortunately I wouldn't buy another one at $21.99 unless I had another special occasion to celebrate but by the time that happens FW15 will probably be out.

on-tap, map room - chicago

appearance: served in a chalice at the map room -welcome to Chicago Firestone Walker. dark oily body - light tan lace

smell: rich and chocolatey, booze soaked plum

taste: rich dark fruits, fig, oak barrel, vanilla, bourbon, bakers chocolate, toffee, licorice. FW 14 packs a punch but not before it delivers its well rounded flavor assault

mouthfeel: rich, full bodied, lingering alcohol presence

overall: lovely

4.32/5  rDev -1.8%

Bottle shared by drabmuh. Thanks Matt!

Firestone Walker tasting, including FW 10-14, Abacus, Parabola, Walker's Reserve, Black Xantus.

Order of preference and notes: 13, 12, 11, 14, 10
Abacus and Parabola still shined. Along with FW 13, these were my three favorites of the lineup, with FW 12 not far behind.

Dark hazelnut brown with an average sized head and a little lacing. The aroma is bold, with scents of vanilla, oak, leather, roasted malt, alcohol, and tobacco. This is some tasty beer. Very complex, masterfully crafted and balanced, this beer would make a great addition to the cellar, as it would almost certainly age gracefully. Drink now or age, Firestone Walker 14 is a great beer to share a few ways.

4.79/5  rDev +8.9%

Wow...Firestone, how are you today?

Potentially one of the most overrated breweries in the country, Firestone's specialty beers keep churning out incredible experiences in beer.

Firestone 14 pours a deep chocolate brown with little head and lacing. The aroma can be smelled from a mile away, and boy is it incredible. Thick toffee and chocolate aromas mixed with a smooth maltiness. It's a blend of bourbon sweetness and a big FAT oak.

The flavor is just as complex and freakin' magical as the aroma. Dark cacao bitterness laced with a singe of hop edge and syrupy malts makes this one hell of a heavy beer. Yet Firestone doesn't mess around, it made a smooth beer that challenges while going down with buttery smoothness. The beer is thick on the palate but ultimately extremely enjoyable.

Holy beer gods this one's a doozy.

4.2/5  rDev -4.5%

served on-tap @ The Foundry, Kansas City, MO, into a snifter

Pours a silky looking sepia brown with some dark reddish highlights. You certainly can't see through it, but it's also a lighter shade of brown that I expected (given the amount of imperial stout in the blend; the barleywines win out in terms of appearance). Over one finger of lightish khaki head sits on top. Little head retention, but that's OK. Pretty nice looking glass of beer.

The first attack of the nose is all barrels and booze. The french oak is unmistakable, and the beer is (unfortunately) not at all shy about showing its ABV%. Vanilla from the oak, and some other kind of sweetness that is hard to place... something like an Almond Joy candy bar? A small bit of chocolate malt character, some nuttiness for sure, and a small amount of coconut. Some caramel comes into play, too. Nothing really original coming from the nose, but it smells like a consistent beer (and not the Frankenstein's Monster hodgepodge that blended beers can be).

That coconut I was picking up on in the nose is certainly present on the tongue. Almond Joy for sure: milk chocolate, nuttiness, plenty of toasted coconut sweetness. Vanilla too -- those oak barrels are up front and heavy -- along with some astringency. A small, small touch of leafy hops are discernible. As the beer warms, the alcohol muscles itself into the room. I had to ask my bartender if she knew what barrels were used, because I was picking up a major spirit character. The combination of coconut and toasted sweet flavors and the bit of brown sugar that opened up, along with the alcohol, makes me taste a bit of rum. If you like run or coconut-chocolate bars then this is the beer for you.

The mouthfeel is fine. It isn't very thick, actually, but it is pleasantly smooth and silky across the tongue. Good stuff, overall. I am not the biggest coconut fan, but I can recognize how good this beer is. It's best trait is that it is remarkable smooth and balanced for its style, and that it tastes like a coherent, cohesive beer. It doesn't taste like a blend of many, many beers. It tastes like a singular vision. The blenders at Firestone Walker are to be commended for this.

3.77/5  rDev -14.3%

Thanks to Beerness for the bottle! Poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Pours dark brown, slightly red. Light tan-colored head, no lace and some whisps remain on top here and there.

S - Lots of booze, oak, chocolate, roast, and malts. There's a large amount of booze here, which I expected, and that stands out over the rest.

T - Booze, chocolate, barrel, caramel, and malts. The barrel character is very nice and I can tell this one is going to be awesome, with the large amount of bourbon I'm getting out of this.

M - Full, smooth and rich, light carbonation, creamy finish.

O - Very boozy, but that's to be expected. I'm going to wait another year and crack another bottle and give this another shot. While it's a good beer right now, I think in another year or so, it will be great.

4.47/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured into a Brandy snifter (for good cause)!

A) No head or lacing at all. A little nice lightness around the edges from the top but looking at a very dark brown at the bottom.

S) Bourbon and Vanilla, little bit of coffee.

T) Jackhammer, this one comes at you big time. To me this is part Quad, part stout and part barleywine!

M) A little hot!

O) I am kicking myself for not picking up another bottle to cellar. Will sip this for a while.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Firestone 14 - Anniversary Ale from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.