Firestone 14 - Anniversary Ale - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Firestone 14 - Anniversary AleFirestone 14 - Anniversary Ale

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

American Strong Ale |  12.50% ABV

The blend consists of: 31% Double Double Barrel Ale, 29% Sticky Monkey, 27% Parabola, 7% Velvet Merkin, 3% Good Foot, 3% Black Xantus

(Beer added by: ZX6Chris on 11-02-2010)
4.05/5  rDev -8%

Pours a near black with a quarter finger of head. Aroma is a beautiful mix of chocolate and toffee sweetness. Some boozy heat.

The flavor is boozy cocoa and vanilla. Emphasis on the boozy. This one is is going to be fantastic in a couple of years, but is a little too bold right now.

The body is medium and carbonation is a bit too high and stinging. Overall this beer has incredible potential but is a bit young right now. Stock up and enjoy the riches in 2 years.

alcstradamus, Dec 18, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -6.1%

Had this on tap at pizzeria paradiso in DC.
It poured a dark brown, almost purple color, very muddy with no head whatsoever.
Smell is of dark fruit (plums, figs, cherries and grapes ), mollasses and some booze. It also has a portwine character. After it warmed up a bit all this wonderful vanilla flavors started emanating.
Taste is very nice with lots of mollasses, candy sugar, dark fruits, raisings, chocolate, some vanilla, some oak and a big alcohol finish. Aftertaste is mildly bitter with faint herbal hops.
Body is very full and carbonation is medium to high.
Mouthfeel is silky. Drinkability is medium to low due to the high abv and huge body. Really warms you up after each sip.
Overall a great sipper, very robust and full of complex flavors. It is very much like a quad. I'd love to see what this tastes like five years from now.

paulozanello, Dec 15, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -1.6%

Enjoyed this on tap at Selma's and per bottle less than one week apart. For the purposes of my previous review (of F13), I will primarily describe the features of the bottled version. Just know the tap version I had at Selma's was delicious, exhibiting an overall old ale flavor profile with plenty of chocolate, roasts, and earth.

Into the same wide-rimmed, non-stem wine glass, pours a large foamy head atop an orange-meets-mahogany body. Didn't quite notice whether the head reemerges well upon agitation as I was already feeling fine from F13. No complaints on the visuals though.

Aromas are fruity, with some dried apricots, tangerine, dark fruits such as figs and dates, and slightly old ale characteristics of tobacco and earth. Medium-strength in intensity, with an overall fruity bouquet.

Fruity in the flavors as well, with plenty of malty bitterness, slights quantities of booze (nothing major), brown sugar, and the aforementioned fruits of dried apricot and figs. Doesn't exhibit a lot of the chocolate and roasts I experienced with the tapped version at Selma's, but to get an idea of the difference between this year and last: if F13 pairs lovely with blue cheese and chocolate cake, try this with some aged gouda and feel your palate sing the praises of caramelistic quaffability. Not since a proper goat cheese and Hefeweizen pairing have I experienced a match as heavenly-made as this.

Mouthfeel is thinner yet fairly soft considering the small quantity of heat.

Overall, I can only imagine how amazing this will be in six to eight months. It's highly drinkable now, and with some age I am betting won't even require an appropriate cheese to enhance the flavors and bring balance to this tour de force.

jminsc76, Dec 14, 2010
4.38/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Poured a rather dark brown with a small head that dissipated quickly.

S: Vanilla, chocolate, and caramel with some bourbon. A bit of dark fruit hidden underneath the earlier mentioned flavors.

T: The taste is very similar to the beer's aroma. It does have a slight alcoholic warmth but considering the abv, I would say the alcohol is pretty well hidden. Just a solid beer.

M: Right amount of carbonation with a very smooth and creamy feeling. Thick and full bodied.

D: The awesome flavors plus great mouthfeel make this beer drinkable. If I could, I would have been drinking this, and only this, all night.

OnThenIn, Dec 14, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -7.3%

A- Pours a blackish hue with a very small, light brown head.

S- Caramel, milk chocolate, spices, dark fruit.

T- Dark fruit, fig, caramel, raisin, slight alcohol burn on the finish.

M- Thick with fairly low carbonation.

D- This is an excellent beer to sip on. Reminds me of a belgian quad. Still a little hot.

Lothore, Dec 12, 2010

Bottle poured into Delirium Tremens Snifter

Appearance - DARK brown, When held up to the light you can see through the glass a bit but expected based on the primary Blend and all the barleywine blended as well. Semi-aggressive pour yields 1/4 inch head that dissapated quickly. Good

Smell - Without a doubt the best aspect of this beer. Smells like desert. Vanilla, Chocolate Creme Brulee desert, Toffee, and Bourbon. Blended very well I'd say based on the fact that none of these overpower the other. Coconut-ish Toffee candy soaked in bourbon I'd describe.

Taste - Follows nose almost exactly. Almost a coniac (spelling?) thing going on. Toffee, Caramel, Coconut Bourbon and mild Chocolate forward. The only problem I have with this beer is that it's a bit sweet but not overly so. Finishing a bomber solo might bring that sweetness out more towards the end. This is a desert beer for sure. I did prefer the 13 over this one but not by a huge margin. Good but not great. If pairing with Creme Brulee or caramel flavored desert you might go as far to say great. Not too hot at all. The slight alcohol warmth is a quite pleasant addition actually. Raisins also present.

Mouthfeel - Pretty damn great. Not overly carbonated - about perfect for the style. If a bit too carbonated, swirl in the glass a few times to get the nose and mellow it out some! Not to thin but not too thick at all for 12.5%

Drinkability - At 12.5% not bad at all. It's slightly warm but expected. Not too hard to polish off a bomber myself but the sweetness affects it some and not wanting more after the bomber is done.

Final Thoughts - Not sure age will make this beer THAT much better. I see it improving for a year but not much more afterward. Age will mellow out the alcohol but at the same time will amplify the sweetness some I'd bet on. I liked how the freshness of the hops and amount of ABV heat mellowed out the sweetness while fresh. I oped this beer simply curious if I liked it enough to buy another and to get an idea if age would serve this beer well. Although this is a solid brew and I liked it, I will not be buying another, especially at the price tag. Money better spent on Parabola without batting an eye. To many however, I can see how this beer can be argued worth the price tag.

RBassSFHOPit2ME, Dec 11, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -1.6%

Consumed this a few weeks ago, not too long after the release. For some reason I didn't date my notes.

A: Dark, dark brownish, black. One quarter of an inch off-white head upon pouring that shrinks to nothing in less than 30 seconds.

S: Bourbon, vanilla, bourbon, chocolate, bourbon. A lot of bourbon. I love it.

T: Bitter chocolate and vanilla. The bourbon isn't as evident in the taste as it is in the smell. But it is definitely has some heat. Nicely balanced heat that doesn't overpower the other flavors.

M: Full body with slight carbonation. Pretty smooth however.

D: This is meant to be enjoyed with friends over a long period of time. Definitely a sipper. Why would you want it any other way?

I sure am glad I am giving this as a Christmas present so I can drink more of it and that I have another bottle to age for next winter. Good stuff.

thatsfine, Dec 09, 2010
4.93/5  rDev +12%

Beautiful presentation, my first 20 dollar bottle. Includes a box and a letter describing the contents. Silver pull tab and bottle cap. Poured hard into my Reidel stimless red wine glass. Dark brown with little light brown head. I was hoping for black and a little more head. (arent we all) This thing smells all kinds of wonderful, fruit like figs come to mind chocolate and whiskey. Sweet. The taste comes from the smell just the same sweet like dark fruits maybe fig, cant quite figure it out. taste is exceptional and could drink lots more.

pumptrick, Dec 08, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -4.5%

Bought a couple... drinking my first ever Firestone Walker Anniversary brew right now.

- Pours a dark clear bourbon brown caramel.. very little head.. but some quick fizzing off-white bubbles and leaves a nice small ring in the glass. Sits dark and jet brown.

- Murky hidden aromas.. light cocoa, caramel malts, sweet buried sugars... grassy and earthy hops, vanilla, bourbon, and subtle alcohol aromas...

- Sweet velvet madness... vanilla, bourbon, sweet sugars, candies, caramels, vanilla again.. light grassy earthy woodiness... serious calorie packed malty madness here... should age nicely.

- Viscous, sticky sweet... heat thins it a touch.. slightly chewy and drying.

- What an interesting and delicious brew. A blend of many... aged.. and it's divine... this will become a great great brew with many years on it I am sure. It's very good now too. One to sip for sure. Big malts.

Docer, Dec 08, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -1.6%

Enjoyed on tap at Pizzeria Paradiso (Old Town Alexandria location).

Served in a small tulip glass with a very slight off-white head that left just a little lacing. A dark amber/brown, nearly opaque beer. Sweet, sugary smell with the oak coming through quite easily. The oak is pretty obvious in the taste too, but a pretty complex taste--maple syrup, dark fruits, spices, and perhaps some chocolate as well--with a strong, boozy liquor finish, though it doesn't overpower the other flavors. Kinda similar to a port wine, but better. A thick, heavy beer with a very smooth mouthfeel. Not a great deal of carbonation and quite drinkable despite the heaviness and power. A very enjoyable beer.

smithdc33, Dec 07, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +8%

Had on tap at Congregation Ale House in Long Beach. Reviewed on my phone as I drink.

Poured an almost pure black into a tulip glass with a finger or so of white/tan head. Some lacing, but not much. That may have something to do with the water they spray into the glass before pouring, but I'm not sure. Nothing can be seen through this beer.

The first thong yhou get in the nose of this beer is oak, folowed by sweet, syrupy malt and a fair bit of coconut. There is a bit of alcohol among the scents, too, but it is an accent compared to the rest of the nose.

The taste is phenomenal. Coconut up front (I don't know why I taste this, maybe I'm crazy), with a quick blast of chocolate and malt right behind, followed by a nice, lingering bitter finish. There is the fairest hint of alcohol spice among all the flavors.

The mouthfeel is very smooth with a nice crisp carbonation and it just slides down the throat. This beer is pretty dangerous.

The mouthfeel coupled with the crazy flavor of this beer make it a dangerously drinkable brew. I would buy this again and again and again and enjoy every minute of it.

BassBone, Dec 06, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

FW14 into an oversized Leffe wine glass type thing. Thanks to Arbitrator for this one (and Ding for the glass!).

A- Pours a nice dark brown w/ some aber highlights. Creamy head that vanishes into an outer ring of bubb;es.

A- I can smell the alcohol/sweet malts a mile away. Some barrel notes (caramel, vanilla) are there too.

T- Big dark fruit and caramel note. Actually, I'm picking up on some cognac. Reminds me of some Hennessy XO.

(side note- why don't they age beer in cognac barrels?)

Vanilla as well. Damn! This is tasty. A bit roasty and chocolatey in the finish. Tastes like a BA barleywine, although with all the blending I guess Am. Strong Ale works too.

M- Thick, creamy, smooth, and heavy. A delight.

D- Fairly high, but it's boozy. That's OK by me- this is a great beer. I think I still liked the 13 more, but juust by a hair. Impressive. One of the best Am. Strong Ales I've come across.

ShogoKawada, Dec 06, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -1.6%

Thanks to ClarkGriswald for this one! Poured into a tulip.

A - labeled as a American strong ale, looks like a stout. Dark black with a tiny bit of coffee-and-cream head on top, that doesn't stick around for long.

S - sweet bourbon, vanilla, a touch of alcohol, brown sugar, dark fruit. Really nice nose.

T - same as nose - a blast of sweet bourbon, vanilla and coffee right up front. Then the carbonation and alcohol take more notice, with some heat on the back end of the palate. A ton of complex flavors going on here. Really damn good.

M - almost seems a bit overcarbonated and it's pretty strong.

D - this beer is really freakin' good, but still plenty hot. I'm glad I got to try it fresh and will now be looking for a few more to cellar. Also, this is a definite sipper at 12.5%.

GabrielM, Dec 05, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

650ml bottle, black wrap with a silver pull tab to make things easy, and capped.

It pours a pitch black with about an inch of tannish foam. Plenty of lacing to please the folks that put a lot of emphasis on the appearance department...like myself.

There's no mistaking the barrel aging in the smell. There's lots of it and very pleasing. A huge amount of caramel malt sits side by side with the BA and makes this a treat to sniff over and over again.

The taste takes it a step further. Nicely sweet from the malt, deliciously decadent from the barrel aging, good notes of bread and a good dose of chocolate and some dark fruit in the background. Wow. This is some seriously good stuff and I'm getting quite a bit of warming from the more than substantial amount of alcohol that went into this puppy. Still, surprisingly drinkable for me. Wow, again.

I'd call it full bodied with a lowish level of carbonation that ends up with a great mouth feel. Luxurious, in fact.

Drinkability *could* have suffered from the sheer strength of this 14th Anniversary offering from Firestone Walker but imho,
they did their best to keep the alcohol in check and I surely appreciate it. It makes the sitting that much more easy to cope with.

Absolutely delicious fresh, I reckon this American Strong Ale *could* hold up, and maybe even improve, for many years to come. This is a hell of a brew!

Bitterbill, Dec 05, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -8%

A: Poured into a snifter, this appears dark brown but can be seen through when held to direct light. A deep violet is apparent when this is done. A half glass of dust brown head builds with a violent pour. Good lacing considering what this is. Good legs cement a perfect score here. 5/5

S: The smell is to say the least, FANTASTIC! Rich caramel, decadent variations of brown sugar, pie spices (I checked the component list to see if any spices were used. None were), vanilla, some raw alcohol, and of course the glorious wood are all over the place here. The aroma promises a lot. Can the flavor deliver? 4.5/5

T: While not as great as the smell, the taste is still quite good. German chocolate cake, peppery alcohol (Goldschlager?), and a nice dose of amaretto are going to be my flavor descriptors here. Its very unique and interesting. 4/5

M: Kinda thin for what I'm expecting here. Carbonation is low and its a little sticky. 3/5

D: I like this beer overall. Its interesting enough to make me keep going back for more. I'll be checking it as it ages every few months for the next year or so. At this point I liked 13 better but am really growing an appreciation for the guys down in Paso Robles. Try it if you can. 4/5

hopsbreath, Dec 01, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I opened my first bottle of Firestone Walker XIV this evening, while sitting in front of a fire, petting my cat, Clarence Tibbs III, and admiring the Christmas tree.

This beer pours a cola brown with a creamy tan head, much like the eleventh anniversary beer. The aroma is a malty mix of caramel, toffee, brown sugar, figs, and bourbon. Sipping this beer, the same qualities present themselves on the front end. My primary complaint is that the beer finishes in a rather odd manner - with a cacophony of bittnerness that does not sit as well on my palate. Like a pheasant in a duck blind, if you will. Almost like bitter coffee and mint. It's not too bothersome and, if Firestone Walker 14 were an 18 hole round of golf, I would attribute this bitterness only to the final three holes. The other fifteen resembling Augusta's finest.

Body is typically rather thick and sticky, with moderate carbonation. If one uses Faygo redpop as a carbonation benchmark, I would describe FW14 as having appreciably less fizz.

Overall, a fine effort by my friends at Firestone Walker. Clarence Tibbs III, having received a nip of FW14 in his saucer, concurs.

waltonc, Dec 01, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured from the bottle into my Bruery tulip.

Beer is near-black, very opaque, yet with perfect clarity. Nice off-white cap forms, dissipates slowly, and is resurrected with a swirl of the glass. Nice looking beer.

Smell is nice enough, if a bit hot. The barrels are quite evident here. Candy aromas, particularly caramel and toffee. Coffee roastiness, dark chocolate, coconut. Booze.

Taste is similarly good. Sweet, boozy, I'm thinking this one could use a little bit of time in the corner. This could be spectacular with time. Rich bitter chocolate, coconut, caramel. And my girlfriend thinks I'm crazy, but I swear that the first thing I noticed in the taste was raw peanut butter. I haven't seen any other review mention this, so it's possible that I've lost my mind. But I taste peanut butter.

Mouthfeel, like all the FW anniversary beers, is great. Thick, adequate carbonation, slightly sticky.

Drinkability takes a hit from past iterations of the anniversary series. This one is just a bit too hot and needs some time to mellow out before it reaches its peak. Fresh, this is my least favorite of the five, but that's like saying that Gisele Bundchen is my least favorite Victoria's Secret model - it's still pretty damned good.

davod23, Nov 30, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -1.6%

22oz. bottle shared by blisscent. Pours the color and clarity of cola with no head. Nose suggests cocoa, banana esters, artificial sweetener and a trace of vanilla and lactose. Flavors reveal caramel, toffee, coca and coffee - really tasty. Mouthfeel is medium-light with a carbonation that falls short of lively. A really delicious brew. It's definitely sweet, but not at the extreme range of the spectrum (e.g. Creme Brulee). If you're not into sweet, you might want to cellar this one a little longer; however, it found it to be just right.

Jwale73, Nov 29, 2010
4.28/5  rDev -2.7%

71st review on BA
bottle to pint

App- It was almost a pitch black pour but my eyes were playing tricks on me and saw in the light the dark brown it poured with almost no head on it.

Smell- It was a big smell of booze, licorice and anise.

Taste- A boozy, choco/caramel flavor with the smallness of a Utopias.

Mouth- It was a bit thin but I enjoyed the aftertaste to it.

Drink- It's drinking really well right now with the barrels bring a suprising mix of flavors that play well off eachother.

FosterJM, Nov 29, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -5.7%

Had on tap while in Santa Barbara at the Firestone Walker pub in Buellton, CA. An appropriate 350th review.

Appearance - Give to me in a goblet. Arrives with very little head that leaves slight lacing. Held up to the light there is a dark brown color, not completely black. Slight reddish hint.

Smell - Sweet. Caramel, bourbon, slight hops, heavy bourbon, coconut, and vanilla. Smells nice but smells boozy.

Taste - Similar to the aroma. Lots of vanilla and in the back coconut. The bourbon kicks in and then fights with coffee and bittersweet chocolate to show who is dominant. Molasses, brown sugar, and caramel make up the end of the taste. Many flavors, good, but not great.

Mouthfeel - Creamy, medium mouthfeel, lower carbonation, finishes a bit cloying.

Drinkability - For the ABV, quite so. I had not problem finishing the small goblet and ordering another. I have two that will sit in my cellar for at least a year before I revisit this. Honestly, (and I know they are different, obviously) I loved Parabola and at almost half the price from this, I don't see the value in this beer. Oh well...good but not great.

SpdKilz, Nov 28, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -8%

Alright i have this a couple of days ago for the Thanksgiving holiday.

A-Looked very good like most other FW ann beers, very little carbonation with a DEEP ruby/black color.

S-As always these beers smell fantastic, tons of oak, vanilla, and of course bourbon.

T-Good, very HOT though, i think this years vintage could benefit from some age.

M-OK, for me this was the biggest let down from previous versions, fairly thin with little activity.

D-not bad, other than being HOT it was very good despite the 12.5% ABV.

Overall this was my least favorite in the last 3 years with 13 being the best.

JWD, Nov 27, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

Deciding to share this with some friends to celebrate Thanksgiving. Appearance is not nearly as dark as I was expecting. I recall 13 being a lot darker. This one pours dark brown, and a dark red when held up to light. Very small tan head. Scent is strong bourbon whiskey, dark fruits, coca cola, and delicious chocolate. Smells wonderful! Taste is wonderful as well. First I get really rich chocolate fudge, followed by a nice amount of bourbon whiskey and dark fruits. This is a great balance between an imperial stout and an american barleywine, and the bourbon flavors just blen the two worlds together so nicely. Mouthfeel is very full bodied and nicely carbonated. A great sipper with nice drinkability. Could slowly sip on this beer all night!

DovaliHops, Nov 26, 2010
4.4/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The 4th in the Firestone Anniversary series.

There is a data sheet inside the box with the bottle of beer detailing the mix that went in to this beer.

Double Double Barrel ale (10.9% ABV) 31%
Sticky Monkey (12% ABV) 29%
Parabola (13% ABV) 27%
Velvet Merkin (6% ABV) 7%
Good Foot (13% ABV) 3%
Black Xantus (11%)

This is a clear very dark brown colored beer with a small yellowish brown colored head. This is considerably light in color than the anniversary beers from the previous three years.

Immediately upon opening I am hit with the scents of coffee and white wine before I even pour it in a glass. Strong scents are coffee, chocolate and bourbon whiskey. Deeper perception of the scent there is a strong vanilla and caramel aroma, makes sense this is a bourbon barrel beer. Coconut and chocolate are moderately strong and there is a perception of German Chocolate Cake in the smell of this beer. Coffee seems to be present but the smell doesn't stand out as anything more than patent malt scent. There is a slight tart scent here that I can only describe as the wine like odor you get from some lightly roasted coffees.

The taste starts out semi sweet with a German Chocolate Cake flavor that really has a long coconut aftertaste. Alcohol is slightly hot but this is really tame compared to last year's version. Mild bitterness as much from patent malt as it is from hops. This is a damn tasty beer.

Mouthfeel is thick.

This is one damn tasty beer. This is MUCH smoother than the 13th Anniversary beer last year and I would compare it favorably to being much like the 10th Anniversary ale. This is great as it is now, this will probably peak after 1-2 years of aging but it is damn good as it is now, go get some!

Zorro, Nov 26, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -5.7%

I have been waiting for this for some time now. Finally had it on tap! I've had black Xantus and Velvet Merlin and you can definitely taste them in this.

Very smooth and alcoholy you can definitely taste the bourbon which is a good thing (in my book) but it will be better once it mellows out in a couple of years.

If I had to compare it to anything it would be "black Tuesday" from the bruery which I love.

This will be one to sit on and wait for in a few year. Can't wait till then

phrankiebee, Nov 25, 2010
3.3/5  rDev -25%

Awesome aroma on this beer along with an appearance that could make me wait. Very complex brew, but the alcohol was a bit too much overall for me. I didn't finish my glass so I share it with others. The bourbon flavor was a bit strong for my palate at this time, but I look forward to trying this again when it's not so hot. Two bottles have been put away along with my other FW anniversary brews. I would say this beer is a must try, but not a must finish...yet.

xhuskr, Nov 24, 2010
Firestone 14 - Anniversary Ale from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.