Stickee Monkee - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Stickee MonkeeStickee Monkee

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  13.40% ABV

Beer added by: ThreeWiseMen on 11-07-2010

A Belgian Quad by recipe, but aging it in spirits barrels garners its own category: Central Coast Quad. A beer formulated to sit on the sweeter and malty side so that we could utilize it for blending. Turbinado brown sugar from Mexico adds wonderful molasses flavors that are reminiscent of Belgian candi sugar. It has a full body and lush texture with barrel expression all over this beer: toasted oak, coconut, leather and cigar tobacco.

Reviews: 193 | Hads: 1,937

Writing from memory, because I haven't reviewed the beer when I had it, 6 months ago, but I just had to say it's as close to perfect as a beer can get
Dark, but not as dark as a stout, with the sweet smell of caramel and bourbon. The taste is amazing, sweet, bourbon-y, with that Firestone Walker-like barrel feel that I cannot describe. The alcohol is undetectable (at least it was for me, but I was well in my cups by the time I had this).
Awesome stuff.

Let's cut to the chase: for a bourbon barrel-aged quad, it doesn't get better. This may be my favorite beer of 2014, and by far the best barrel-aged beer of the year.

Appearance is like a stout. Thin, creamy ring of head around the edge of the glass. Black. In the right light there are hues of garnet.

Aroma is fantastic. At first I think chocolate cake. Chocolate, vanilla, malt. The bourbon barrel-aging comes right through, as well -- more vanilla, bourbon, oak. There's caramel and toffee. Slight banana, in the banana cream pie sense.

Taste is equally fantastic. Remnants of something akin to a quad (the dark fruit) are mixed in with milk chocolate, vanilla, oak, cake batter. Sweet, but not cloying.

Mouthfeel is on point: thick, full, and chewy, but like I said, not cloying. This is the perfect beer for the cold La Jolla winter I'm enduring (the eye-rolling from those in practically anywhere else in the United States are drowned out by another slow sip).

Overall: This is the best bourbon barrel-aged quad I've ever had. If you're a big fan of quads, don't look to this as being similar. I don't get any Belgian yeast (I don't think FW even used a Belgian yeast for this -- one article said it was an English ale yeast, making this a...barleywine?). However, if you enjoy barrel-aged beers, this is an absolute must.

Five out of five.

A: Pours dark brown and doesn’t really leave a head, you kind of get a couple patches of a head and the color of it is mocha/tan, looked awesome from the pour, when it sits in the glass it is pitch black, wasn’t expecting that but it honestly looks like oil, but it looks fantastic!

S: This category is much more simple than the rest, immediately from pouring the Turbinado brown sugar fills the nearby surroundings, then you are enlightened with a hint of booze, but a fantastic barrel presence, like a mix of oak and bourbon, the barrels seem like they are clashing with each other constantly, you get brashness from the bourbon and smooth vanilla mixed around constantly, superb smell to this beer, the huge amount of brown sugar mixed with the lighter presence of the alcohol and barrels is phenomenal!

T: This part blew me away! Initial taste is broken down hops mixed with a little bitterness and booze! The booze seems like it’s on the barrier of too much and just right, what helps tame it is the Turbinado brown sugar, and this is what makes this beer amazing, and so unique compared to any other beer! Immediately after the booze hits, the Turbinado brown sugar comes through with a strong but not overpowering presence, and that is pretty much the middle phase of the beer, but the finish you get the same amount of Turbinado presence and then a light blend of broken down hops, alcohol, bitterness, caramel, toffee, vanilla, a tiny bit of dark fruits(almost unnoticeable because of the Turbinado) and the outstanding barrel presences found in this FW series, I’m getting bourbon and oak, absolutely stunning! I know this beer used to be labeled as a barelywine, and they are now listing this beer as a Central Coast Quad, I get a little bit of a quad appearance from the dark fruits, but this definitely seems more like a barley wine, but label what you want FW, this beer is fantastic, wish I could have got more then 6! Can’t wait to see how these things mature with some time!

M: Based off of the name I was expecting a syrupy mouthfeel, and it delivers! Thick, viscous, sticky, syrupy, but even with all those categories it is still smooth and drinkable, never had a beer with this kind of mouthfeel, definitely has an oily feel to it as well, but in this case it really helps this beer because it makes it very drinkable, but what truly makes this section outstanding is how long this beer lingers on your pallet! Amazing mouthfeel!

O: I had high expectations for this beer, heard great things about it, but it lived up to those reputations and surpassed them IMO, each category for this beer has something that’s different and stands out from other categories, but every characteristic of this beer pieces together so well and makes it complete, it’s like a puzzle, sometimes all the pieces are there, but sometimes you can’t find some pieces, but the harder you look you end up finding those missing pieces, this beer has taken my palate on a tour around the world instead of a measly roller coaster, MUST GET! Probably my new favorite offering from FW, well done guys!

L - Great Brown color. Slight red hue.
S - Smells of sugar, caramel, oaky
T - Caramely, Brown Sugar, almost teryaki like saltiness to it
F - Medium-thick feel. Coats mouth. smooth.

Wow, wow, wow. Poured into a tulip glass. Very nice dark color. Sweet aroma you can get the raisins, sugar cane, malt smells. Taste is amazing and only gets better as it warms up. It was a little boozy and sweet. I have one more to age and that boozyness should leave and will turn out to be an even better beer!

I've had the delight of both the 2014 and 2015 version of this beer. The 2014 was draft only at the brewery. The 2015 I've had both draft at the brewery and bottle. This is one of my favorite beers which isn't much of a surprise since it is a significant ingredient of Anniversary. I've heard some people say they don't care for it, but it always seems to be that they don't like sweeter beers. I personally really like brown sugar, using it as the sweetness of choice for all my asian cooking.

Poured into a 6 oz snifter.

A: Pours with a very thin head and is very dark, with a delightful ruby-brown color where light is present.
S: Bourbon and brown sugar
T: A complex flavor with layers of sweetness and layers of toasted caramel, some coconut, and a bourbon flavor that is wonderfully rich and mellow.
F: A silky smooth mixture of little micro-bubbles that seem to want to linger on your tongue to give a longer exposure to the taste.

I think this beer really illustrates the art of taking the base recipe of some style into a completely different space. It's absolutely amazing!!

L: pours light brown, medium body appearance with a dark creme head
S: sweet, bananas, malt
T: sugar, malt, boozy, lingers on the tongue
F: light palette, medium body
O: def let it age, had one after purchase, had another a year later, older was better

4.94/5  rDev +10.8%

I had one sip of this beer at the brewery and I bought 4 bombers immediately. This is sweet, really sweet beer. It is very complex, has a variety of different flavors going on such as vanilla, caramel, toffee, bourbon, oak, and others I have yet to discover. I am holding on to the 4 for cellaring. I am tempted to break one open soon.

4.93/5  rDev +10.5%

What a beer for #250. Lived up to the hype for me. Absolutely amazing. Banana's and roasty caramel. Everything the others have said and more. I wish this wasn't so limited.

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have a bottle of this beer squirreled away because I didn't think I'd ever come across it again. I walked into J Ryan's in Syracuse last night and they had it ON TAP! Unfortanately, no one else there was aware what it was. Very smooth and highly drinkable. Hard to write tasting notes right now but I will never turn down this beer.

Had it on tap at FW/barrelworks. Strong delicious and boozy

4.91/5  rDev +10.1%

enjoying the 2015 right now from a FW tulipy snifter. deep dark ominous people brown black with a thin frothy foamy head that didn't hang and left no lace. nose is out of this world liquid caramel awesomeness. so much barrel and complexities but so much care in the blend. taste is the same. deep rich caramel glazed with bourbon decadence and other spirit barrels giving a sherry vibe...super tasty and just as good as the first batch. my favorite from the FW limiteds.

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into snifter. Jet black, no head. Smell is dried fruit, figs, oak, and vanilla. Taste is a warm embrace of buttery sweet malt and warm oaky bourbon. Very mild burn on the finish. Body is velvety thick.
Firestone has definitely perfected barrel aging, I wish other breweries could pull this off.

4.91/5  rDev +10.1%

A- Pours basically black as night as it hits the glass, this beer is thick as molasses. A small head forms and is gone quickly, leaving only alcohol legs as you drink it down the glass. In the glass, the body of the beer is just slightly off-black with some brown and just a touch of red in there.The wisp of tan foam on the top edges of the beer make this beer look like a stout in my snifter.

S- Sweet brown sugar and booze greet the nose right up front with a strong punch to the nostrils. In the middle of the smell there is a bang of dark malts and barrel flavors that darken up the initial sweetness. Light char, sweet brown sugar, and sweet vanilla all intermingle to make a very enticing overall scent for the beer.

T- The sweetness that kicks off the smell of this beer also kicks off the taste as it hits the tongue with a very molasses-like flavor. The brown sugary sweetness darkens up quickly with the addition of semi-burnt malts and barrel char. The char mellows out in the middle of the drink and bleeds into subtle vanilla sweetness and a drying oak flavor. The lingering flavor of this beer on the tongue is a balance of sweetness, dark barrel flavors, and slightly bitter malts and booze.

M- Thick as molasses is the best way to describe this beer when it hits your tongue. There is a very low level of carbonation, which enhances the smoothness and thickness of the beer. The alcohol level of this beer is barely noticeable on the palate due to the sweetness and weight of the beer, but it definitely warms as it goes down.

Overall, this is a freaking delicious beer and I can see why it has been a part of the Firestone Walker blending program. The sweetness is a little strong, but with the recent spell of cooler weather, that is just fine with me. The beer really displays a good complexity that I have only seen in a few other beers. If you like sweeter, darker beers that display a good amount of barrel without being in-your-face, this beer is right up your alley.

4.89/5  rDev +9.6%

This is the best beer from Firestone Walker I have drank and may be the best barrel aged non-stout I have drank as well.

Great smelling beer, Great color. the taste is sweet but not overly so with tons of bourbon and so much more, a very rich creamy mouthful. I can not recommend this beer highly enough. I just wish I had lifetime supply. All lovers of good beer need to give this beer a chance please your tastebuds.

4.88/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Revised my original rating of 4.75 after enjoying a bottle of the 2015 this evening. Dark and rich and delicious. Taste calls to mind a delicious Bananas Foster. Dig it!!!

4.88/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured into a snifter. Came in box...nice curb appeal

A: Pours darker brown like walnut or mahogany, small head that dissipates quickly

S: fruity (sweet), toffee

T: bourbon and toasted sugar upfront, kind of like cola. then a little bit of dark fruit & molasses. after taste is of buttery burnt toast

M: medium body, great carbonation

Overall: best BA quads I have ever had. Sticks with what they were trying to achieve. The one complaint is with a higher abv, I wanted it to at some point hit me in the face a little, but the immense candy flavor masked that a lot, exactly what they wanted, but not what I wanted....oops. I have another one cellared, so I will re-rate in a couple years o_O

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

My first review. N: Brown sugar and bourbon. T: Divine. Sweet, boozy, smooth, really unique. Great after dinner sipper. F: Perfect, nice and thick. One of the best beers I've ever had. Only one of the proprietor's vintage I've had and hope I can get my hands on more.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

On tap at Coopers, Chelsea, NYC. This is it. If I had access to this whenever I wanted I would be a very ahppy man.

The look is hard to judge because it is a deep mahogany to ruby port in color. Head is limited to a slight ring around the edge.

Now to the essense. The aroma is so complex it becomes a distraction..almost. since one cannot seperate the aroma from the taste (the mouth is under the nose for a reason...don't go crazy, so is a dogs & they'll eat anything...without chewing) you'll have a better time by just savoring this & worry about everything...& I mean EVERYTHING else later.

Just let the flavors enrobe you. They will. That's by design.

This is simply one of the best beers I've ever had.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Thanks again to my local Whole Foods! Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A: The head dissipated unbelievably quickly, even with some vigorous pour at the tail-end. Rich dark mahogany brown, it's nearly ebony in color.

S: Sweet roasted caramel with vanilla extract, dank oak, and faint fruity figs.

T: Orgasmic and deep vanilla, seeded jam preserves, some alcohol bite. The follow has buttery notes of the richest creme brulee you can imagine.

M: Buttery and full with just the faintest alcohol singe; some nice astringency from the ABV is present, too.

O: For two years, I thought nothing could ever surpass Parabola as the quintessential BBA beer, but this may have just changed my mind. FSW has once again created art, something so magnificent that you should have it sparingly lest you grow inured to its greatness.

4.85/5  rDev +8.7%

This is a quad to measure all quads by. Very American in nature, not like the belgians, so its kind of its own category.

Pours a dark brown with little head. Residue sticks the the glass when swirled.

Smell is of old barrels and ripe dark fruit. Very intriguing really. I get some strawberry and dates, with some smoke and oak.

Taste is superb. Rich beyond words, with a sticky sweetness right up front. Heavy on the dark fruits, and low on hops. Vanilla and caramel / toffee. Bourbon is there as well. Nicely blended.

Feel is low carbed with a viscous mouthfeel.

Overall I like this quad just as much as FW's sucaba and parabola. Cheers!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Incredible beer, i struggle to ever rate beer 5/5 but this is as close as ive come.seriously went straight into my top 5. Sweet smelling and even sweeter tasting,this was just an incredibly complex beer and an absolute pleasure to drink.caramel/toffee aftertaste.....simply put, this is a stunning beer.if you are ever lucky enough to come across this beer, buy it, no questions asked.

4.84/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Unlike anything I've ever tasted. Pretty much a work of art, as the brewers clearly intended

Appearance: Dark sienna, held to the light, the edges are a warm red-orange. No head whatsoever. Flattens out quickly. Slightly cloudy, a *tiny* bit grey. But, I'm not gonna just sit here and look at it, now am I?

Smell: Bourbon barrel wood is clear but not overwhelming. Very, very pleasant. I was hoping it would be like that. Has a bit of a Belgian aroma, that is sweet but not obnoxious. A little alcohol, a little fruit sweetness.

Taste(s): The highly anticipated first sip was all sugar. After that I get grape, plums, oak, and zero bitterness. It really reminds me of a single malt scotch, but without the punch in the neck. Then about 30 seconds later, a tanginess envelopes the sides and back of the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Lives up to its name. Sticky palate, sticky lips. This is a good thing. Like beer candy! Silky smooth and no carbonation at all

I love FW's Double Jack, and when my local purveyor recommended this, I had to go for it. It's expensive, but if you want something special and unusual, I think this is worth the price. Really good, not for everyday use.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a heavy, dark brown. Smells of bread, liquorish, brown sugar, cigar. Taste is figgy, soy sauce, vanilla, sugar cane, and leather with a toasty background. Mouthful is heavy, think and boozy but smooth, with buttery velvet texture. Truly a world class creation.

4.83/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The complex mouthfeel of a top tier quad with heavy barrel, vanilla leathery age and bourbon notes. I haven't been wowed by Parabole or Scucaba, but love DDBA.

thIs is best in breed for an aged quad. I've had boulevard BBQ , blasphemy etc...

This is fantastic. The overall presence of all the combined elements result in a transcendent epic ale

4.83/5  rDev +8.3%

It's hard for me to rate any beer as "PERFECT" but this Stickee Monkee comes as close as Ive ever had.

Poured from the bottle into a Chimay goblet nice and dark. Very faint bubbly tan head that is gone as soon as you reach for the glass.

Insanely large body, Intense mouthfeel. The Alcohol is prominent but not overpowering. It arrives more on the finish.

Strong flavor of molasses and brown sugar. It felt savory almost to me.

Easily one of the best beers Ive ever had. Well worth the wait and price

Stickee Monkee from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.