Stickee Monkee - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Stickee MonkeeStickee Monkee

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  13.40% ABV

Beer added by: ThreeWiseMen on 11-07-2010

A Belgian Quad by recipe, but aging it in spirits barrels garners its own category: Central Coast Quad. A beer formulated to sit on the sweeter and malty side so that we could utilize it for blending. Turbinado brown sugar from Mexico adds wonderful molasses flavors that are reminiscent of Belgian candi sugar. It has a full body and lush texture with barrel expression all over this beer: toasted oak, coconut, leather and cigar tobacco.

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
Reviews: 147 | Hads: 1,730
3.69/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance- almost black color, decent size head that dissipates quickly
Smell- dark fruit, spices
Taste- dark fruit, spices
Mouthfeel- medium bodied
Drinkability- I thought it was pretty good but I usually don't like to drink this style. Every once in a while I try them. (272 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fills the glass with a thick dark mahogany to almost black body. Dense and fluffy ivory colored head rests nicely on top. Rich aromas raisin and brown sugar fill the nose. As the aroma would suggest, this one is quite sweet. Flavors showing fruity and vanilla characters seem to pop, but the slight woodiness and heat from the barrels balance things out a tad. Viscous and full bodied but quite smooth as it goes down. Overall, a nice long sipper for a quiet evening and a great dessert beer. (492 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Deep brown-ish black with a light tan head. Candy like nose with toffee, caramel, brown sugar, and hints of dark fruit. Taste is sweet but complex. Again, toffee and caramel with the barrel notes. Mouthfeel is smooth with light carbonation. Overall, excellent. (260 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +5.4%

I understand why this beer is so well rated. Sweet with fruity notes and a comfortable alcohol heat. My problem is it seems more like a Barleywine than a quad. I greatly enjoyed it but find it a bit overrated for the style. (223 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

On tap at Coopers, Chelsea, NYC. This is it. If I had access to this whenever I wanted I would be a very ahppy man.

The look is hard to judge because it is a deep mahogany to ruby port in color. Head is limited to a slight ring around the edge.

Now to the essense. The aroma is so complex it becomes a distraction..almost. since one cannot seperate the aroma from the taste (the mouth is under the nose for a reason...don't go crazy, so is a dogs & they'll eat anything...without chewing) you'll have a better time by just savoring this & worry about everything...& I mean EVERYTHING else later.

Just let the flavors enrobe you. They will. That's by design.

This is simply one of the best beers I've ever had. (714 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +10.6%

enjoying the 2015 right now from a FW tulipy snifter. deep dark ominous people brown black with a thin frothy foamy head that didn't hang and left no lace. nose is out of this world liquid caramel awesomeness. so much barrel and complexities but so much care in the blend. taste is the same. deep rich caramel glazed with bourbon decadence and other spirit barrels giving a sherry vibe...super tasty and just as good as the first batch. my favorite from the FW limiteds. (470 characters)

4.93/5  rDev +11%

What a beer for #250. Lived up to the hype for me. Absolutely amazing. Banana's and roasty caramel. Everything the others have said and more. I wish this wasn't so limited. (177 characters)

4.26/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2015 bottle.

A: Black body with brown highlights and a solid cap of tan foam. Good retention, spotty lace. Quite nice.

S: Rich, decadent bourbon sweetness. Toffee, caramel, vanilla, and milk chocolate. Not terribly complex, just sweet and enjoyable.

T: Follows the nose - sweet caramel, toffee, vanilla, dark fruit, and bourbon. Candied raisin, brown sugar. Long, sweet finish. Borderline cloying, but enjoyable nevertheless.

M: Thick and stick, but with just enough carbonation to keep the overall impression more luxurious than self-loathing.

O: Thoroughly tasty, but more like liquid caramel fudge than a beer of any recognizable style. I enjoyed it, and can't imagine that anyone wouldn't enjoy it as well, but it didn't impress me as much as some other BA FW's.

Cheers! (781 characters)

Wow, wow, wow. Poured into a tulip glass. Very nice dark color. Sweet aroma you can get the raisins, sugar cane, malt smells. Taste is amazing and only gets better as it warms up. It was a little boozy and sweet. I have one more to age and that boozyness should leave and will turn out to be an even better beer! (318 characters)

4.41/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2015 vintage poured into Firestone teku

A- pours dark brown, nearly black color with a small creamy khaki-colored head that reduces to just a ring around the edge, no lacing

S- big boozy notes of caramel, caramalized brown sugar, fig, raisin, leather & tobacco. Barrel notes gives aromas of oak, toasted coconut, walnut, bourbon & a hint of vanilla

T- huge hit of malty sweetness up front gives loads of dark fruit flavors, including raisin, fig & black cherry. Belgian candied sugar/caramalized brown sugar follows the fruit, along with notes of tobacco, leather & toasted walnut. Molasses like sweetness brings in the barrel notes, with flavors of toasted wood, coconut, vanilla & a hint of bourbon. Sweet malty finish with some earthy notes & a hint of alcohol on the linger

M- medium-heavy body with moderate-low carbonation leads to a hint of foam on the mouthfeel and an oily chewy finish

O- drinks like a English barleywine/quad hybrid. Tons of dark fruit and malt, the barrel aging plays a supporting role, rather than dominating, very good (1,061 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Quick review:

Poured deep brown with very little head. Smell was sugary (candi and brown) and the barrel time was very present on the nose. Taste was sweet, but the barrel was subdued a bit. The sugars refined themselves and there were notes of dark fruits coming through. The carbonation was very minimal on this and the feel was as smooth as one could find I would venture.

All in all, a fantastic sipper. Took me over an hour to clear my glass (my portion of a 22 oz bottle), and I enjoyed it the entire time. (518 characters)

4.21/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

22 ounce bottle poured into a tulip glass

A: Dark brown with ruby edges, tan colored head, some slight carbonation, no head retention, no lacing, looks like a coke.

A: Bourbon, sweet toffee, vanilla aromas,alcohol is barely noticeable, lots of bourbon.

T: Lots of bourbon with heat, toffee, vanilla, sweet fruits, not getting much quad characteristics, very sweet, brown sugar really comes through, finishes dry.

M: Kind of on the thin side, dry finish.

O: My first thought in the aroma and taste was Double DBA, this beer lacks a lot of quad characteristics, not that it is a bad tasting beer, it's really good, but I was expecting something more like Trappist Rochefort 10, bourbon really dominates with slight quad aromas and flavors, will cellar a few bottles to see if the bourbon recedes and allows other flavors to come up front. (841 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Virtually no carb. Looks like flat coke in my snifter. Nose is almost indistinguishable from DDBA. Taste is also very similar... Bourbon and residual sweetness is prevalent. The subtle Belgian ale flavors hide beneath. Alcohol is well hidden as usual. Overall I very much enjoyed it. However, it's in the lower half of FW's barrel aged offerings IMO. Parabola, DDBA, Sucaba, and PNC being on top. (396 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a clear, shiny brown with rust/red highlights. Strong ruby/garnet highlights when held to the light. Very little head which vanishes immediately. Head was cream colored for the 2 seconds it lasted. Moderate amount of fine lacing when the glass is swirled. Lacing is like the head as it vanishes quickly.

Aroma is sweet, rich, and a bit boozy. Brown sugar, toffee, charred oak, whiskey, and dark molasses. Very strong but well balanced. No one thing dominates.

Taste follows the aroma but with even more complexities and subtleties. Big notes of brown sugar, toffee, and molasses to start. Sweet but not syrupy. Barrel character comes next. Light charred oak and whiskey. Some leather and vanilla. Back end subtleties abound. Anise, dark plum, overripe cherry, honey, fig, dates. A bit of alcohol booziness spread throughout.

Thick and oily mouth feel. Low carbonation. I could see how some would find it syrupy but for me it doesn't go that far. A bit boozy. Flavors linger on the tongue, a changing array of both the more prominent notes mixed with the subtleties.

This is an outstanding barrel aged beer. FW never lets me down. Big, complex flavors. Some booziness but easier to drink than the abv might lead you to believe. Some reviews make this out to be more of a barleywine, and while I do understand why, this is definitely a quad to me. (1,381 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Sweet. Think beercola. Think high alcohol beercola, but the alcohol is supremely disguised. The cola element is quite complex. And you do feel the alcohol. I was pleasantly surprised to find this bottled and available at my close by liquor store. I had only had it on draft on two other occasions. This beer is not for everyone. If you want any bitterness, look someplace else. My posts will tend to talk about food pairing and I planned to have this beer some dinner when I was having breakfast for dinner. I served this with habanero scrambled eggs, homemade buttermilk biscuits and smoked sausage. Good food pairing. I would also serve this with fried chicken and waffles. I want some sweeter food to go with this beer and I need some food for the alcohol to land on! I am going to track down some more for aging. A few years on this might just be magical. (874 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +11.3%

I had one sip of this beer at the brewery and I bought 4 bombers immediately. This is sweet, really sweet beer. It is very complex, has a variety of different flavors going on such as vanilla, caramel, toffee, bourbon, oak, and others I have yet to discover. I am holding on to the 4 for cellaring. I am tempted to break one open soon. (341 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Brief write-up at ChurchKey. Heard a lot about this, that's for sure. It smells like a great barleywine (not a quad), with plenty of dark fruit, brown sugar, and vanilla. The taste is similar - think Sucaba with more dark fruit. Actually, a LOT more dark fruit. Stickee is right: this is a sweet, slick feeling brew, though the oak tannins give the palate some breathing room. A rock solid barleywine, but it doesn't live up to the hype. Personally, I think it's just too sweet - 4 oz is perfect for me.

3.72/5: I prefer Sucaba myself (535 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

On tap at ABV.

A clear dark brown with a thin, light brown head that falls off to a ring, this looks decent. The nose is quite excellent. Bug brown sugar, dark fruit, some Belgian yeast spiciness, Honey, dark toffee, s little bit of burnt sugar, a moderate bready, grainy malt backbone, this is deep. Vanilla, bourbon, a little coconut are present.

The palate opens sweet with brown sugar, booze, vanilla, coconut, a real bready note - dark wheat and pumpernickel like. Caramel, toffee, honey. Boozy, warming alcohol heat is present. Mildly spicy on the finish with bourbon, Belgian yeast and caramel, this beer it's full bodied, creamy and delicious. The spice and the booze keep this not super drinkable, but this is a pretty well crafted barrel aged ale. (763 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Rich sugar, wet oak, alcohol, dark fruit, light caramel, and mild Bourbon in the scent. Strong oak, Bourbon, caramel, maple, tobacco, sugar, dark fruit, mild alcohol and a touch of grain on the finish. The body feels a little light and oily, but the low carbonation leads to a slightly higher drinkability. (306 characters)

4.4/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Very good but as a Quad drinker (a true Quad drinker) this is far to sweet. I am a huge Firestone Walker fan i own and have drank every single one of the vintage series from FW. But this one is more of a hype beer for me. But as many of you know everyones taste buds os different and this is just my opinion. Still a great beer but the sweetness kills it for me. (363 characters)

4.37/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Not much of a quad, but rather a very sweet background for all the flavors brought by Firestone's bourbon barrel aging. Unreal how smooth this is for the ABV. Mouthfeel is rich, creamy and decadent. (198 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Very dark, almost black color, with a half inch head that faded to a thin film, not much for lace. The smell was amazing, with lots of raisin, sweet caramel, bourbon, oak, and toffee. The taste was equally great, with the raisins, vanilla, caramel and bourbon melding into a super tasting brew. Surprisingly, I didn't get a lot of heat from the bourbon, just the great flavor. The mouthfeel was super smooth, with a nice medium body. Overall, I have to say this is one of the best beers I've ever had, so glad to have been able to find one. (540 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I really enjoyed this one (2015 Vintage). I thought it had the perfect level of bourbon on the finish. Glad I have a few more still to share and age. (151 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +10.1%

This is the best beer from Firestone Walker I have drank and may be the best barrel aged non-stout I have drank as well.

Great smelling beer, Great color. the taste is sweet but not overly so with tons of bourbon and so much more, a very rich creamy mouthful. I can not recommend this beer highly enough. I just wish I had lifetime supply. All lovers of good beer need to give this beer a chance please your tastebuds. (420 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours black with over one finger of mocha frothy head. The smell is quite attractive. The main smell is bourbon, followed by cola, toffee, vanilla, grape, white chocolate. The flavor is very similar to jack and coke. I remember this having much more toffee and caramel last year. (281 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
Stickee Monkee from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.