Agrestic #002 American Wild Red Ale - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Agrestic #002 American Wild Red AleAgrestic #002 American Wild Red Ale

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

American Wild Ale |  6.60% ABV

Beer added by: Halcyondays on 09-11-2011

This liberation begins its journey as DBA then continues through a “chrysalis” process involving 87% French and 13% American Oak barrels, and our proprietary collection of micro flora. To blend, we selected beer matured eight to 24 months in barrels, creating a synergistic beer. Immediately, toasted oak and lemon pith swirl on the nose and palate, followed by an amazing harmony of vanilla, coconut, Earl Grey tea and spice. The finish is crisp, with mouth-watering acidity and chewy tannins. Since we age, blend and bottle these beers once a year, there will be slight variation with each release.
Reviews by VelvetExtract:
3.89/5  rDev -6.7%

A-Pours a dark copper that has a subtle purpleness to it. A blanket of pretty white froth sits atop my next Firestone Walker experience. Lacing is speckle and random.

S-Not overly aromatic. When I really dig in, I get a clear sour component that is augmented by some maltiness that must be the base beer coming through. Some faceless sour fruit and some very light oak.

T-It's plenty sour. My main gripe would be that Agrestic Ale is sour without any specific flavor coming into the picture. I struggle to find flavors I can connect to besides the blatant sourness. I did pick up some oak. It's very tart with a whisper of sweet malt and maybe some generic sour fruity tones.

M-Light, airy and drinkable. A pint is enough for me though; all that wild yeast limits how much I can consume before I get dat bloat.

O-Flavorful but lacking depth. I'm nitpicking, though. The flavor was refreshing and tart and nothing beyond that.

4.24/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Can you say Consecration light? Firestone has it right here. This ale has a reddish color, a mostly sour base, and the accents of oak which works like a symphony in this ale. Many thanks to Joepeter for opening this worthy ale.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

Appearance: minimal head, low carbonation, orange-brown in color, hazy

Smell: sharp sour mix and slight wood smell

Taste: A great mix of oak, sour mix, toasted malt, and graham crackers

Mouthfeel: sour with a touch of sweetness, medium in body, low carbonation

Overall: Another winner from Firestone Walker. Not the most complex American wild ale that I have had, but it sure is tasty. It is right up there with my favorites for non-fruity sour ales. I would get this again in a heartbeat if I could find it on tap.

4.71/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.28/5  rDev +2.6%

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

Agrestic #002 American Wild Red Ale from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.