Wookey Jack - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Wookey JackWookey Jack

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: barleywinefiend on 03-11-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wookey Jack Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,120 | Reviews: 623

One day I walked into a pub, hankering for a burger, to go. The hostess took my order and told me I could have a seat at the bar while I waited, so I did. The bartender asked "What'll ya have?" and I said, I'd like a beer that's "Chewy". (I refer to my stouts, porters & other full-bodied brews as "beer that drinks like a meal"!). She said "Oh! You want the Wookey!" I said "Um....Sure!". (I didn't make the "Star Wars" connection until much later... it was pure coincidence that she perceived what I said, that way.)

She came back with a brandy snifter, filled with an opaque black liquid, topped with a thin brown head, poured off the tap, with an aroma of coffee and hops. Somehow, I knew this was going to be special.

And it was! Love at first sip! I'm no poet, but the rich flavor was it for me. By the time I got to the bottom of the glass, I knew I had been ruined for all other beers! I had a second, which gave me the perfect buzz, while I ate my burger at the bar!

Other than Heddy Topper, which I've the privelege of getting my hands on, occasionally, Wookey Jack is, to me, the best beer in the world. I'll keep searching and I've got a long journey ahead, but my Chewy beer has set the bar high, for me.

Perfect black IPA

This was on-tap so perhaps that skewed it so highly, but after a few sips this was one of my favorite beers I've had (I've rated three other beers with a 5).

Appearance: Dark with nice foam at the top, but not too much.

Smell: Huge nose on this one. I could smell it when it was being poured.

Taste: Love how it's not too overbearing. The alcohol isn't obvious and it's just a good clean drink. Of course I savored this one, but it was so smooth you could chug this (.. don't).

Mouthfeel: I'm not a great judge of mouthfeel, but no points deducted here.

Overall: I very seldom write full reviews, unless the beer has never been rated here, but I thought this deserved a write up and a straight 5/5. I don't get this enthusiastic about a beer often. Stouts are usually my thing and their heaviness often helps with the sophistication, but this IPA is complex enough in flavor without making any mistakes. It's something I'd reach for before my favorite Rogue beers, and while Lagunitas, Samuel Smith, and Speakeasy very seldom disappoint, I'm excited to try more from Firestone. This is a new favorite.

22 oz. bottle from Yosemite Valley's Village Store. Wookey Jack is the best Black IPA I've ever had. The aroma is an amazing blend of pine and roasted malt. Taste is perfect balance between malt and hops. Slight chocolate flavours with hops coming out in sweet lingering bitterness. 8.3% abv is well hidden, you'll have a hard time putting down this beer!

This beer is my all time favorite. Great taste with the hops and rye. Simply exceptional.

This beer is perfect, there's nothing else to say.

-On tap at Sage in the Aria Hotel in Vegas, waiter came back telling me I would have to wait 5-10 minutes due to the bar having to tap a fresh keg since it must have cashed out. Served in a proper tulip glass, black beer with a 2 finger tan thick head, beautiful beer, especially in the glass.

A. Gorgeous, baloon style tupil with a 2 finger tan, thicker head. Pitch black.

S. Firestone's IPA smell. Nose was like an excellent IPA, extremely fresh with citrus and grapefruit yet darker malt body, hint of bread, very fulfilling beautiful smell. I mean this beer's nose was absolutely wonderful.

T. 10/10. One of my few. Up there with Sucks, RuinTen, Enjoy By...this beer is delicious. It's a black IPA with so much of a west coast style IPA flavor, yet it's bready and somewhat malty, there is very little/no rye at all, at least not on draft..and i'm not a fan of very rye flavored IPA's. It's so hoppy yet creamy yet smooth yet malty yet delicious. Alcohol is seriously hidden...after 3 sips it was my favorite beer, I ordered 2. And this is at the Aria in Vegas, $8-$9 bucks a pint..seek this out, it is absolutely phenomenal.

M. Creamy, smooth, hoppy, drinkable, delicious.

O. 10/10, find it. I was skeptical being a IPA/DIPA/Black IPA drinker yet i'm not a fan of belgian style/yeasty/rye IPA's... this beer is not that. It is like Stone's sublimely black IPA mixed with FW Double Jack. It is creamy and smooth and drinkable and I almost would think it was a regular DIPA from a blind test. The rye/bread is well hidden, as well as the alcohol...this is a wonderful beer, best I have had on draft aside Celebration..seek it out bottle or draft, you won't be disappointed..

Hats off to Firestone, well done.

I've never had this style so I was a little apprehensive when I poured the jet black liquid out of the bomber into a pint, pub glass. Oh well, it was only $7.50 at TW.; dated 5/17/2014.

Appearance: black as night with a khaki, bulbous head. Nice lacing.

Smell: I honestly can't say. One whiff brings sweet; the next, piney citrus. I get everything from chocolate and brown sugar, to tropical fruit and bitterness.

Taste: Wow! Do I have to type more than that? This is going to sound antithetical, but as complicated as this beer is, it's one of the smoothest I've had in a long time. Bitter, pine, citrus, sweet; everything marries perfectly. How did they do that?

Mouthfeel: not heavy at all--even though it looks like 5W30.

Overall: Fantastic! This beer not only tasted excellent, but it made me think I could pilot the Millennium Falcon. Wookies unite!

Excellent Ale

4.99/5  rDev +17.1%

Absolutely frigging amazing!!!! I'm so impressed by this one.

4.98/5  rDev +16.9%

Review #800!

...and I already have my follow-up bottle of this waiting for me...

I’ve held off on trying this one because for the longest time I couldn’t find a bottle less than two months out. Finally lucked out—so glad they’re printing bottled-on dates now.

Finally, a Cascadian IPA that hits all the right notes. This was fantastic. Not that I expected anything less from Firestone Walker.

This poured a black coffee color with a thick cocoa-colored head. The aroma has a fantastic subdued grapefruit characteristic from the hops, coupled with a pleasing roast note. It plays well together with a balance I have found in all too few of the style. The flavor is likewise expertly balanced, with a pleasing bitterness from the grapefruit & pine notes the hops lend to the brew which is balanced by a light yet sharp roast character, all wrapped up with a delicate dry finish. Simply fantastic and I couldn’t be more pleased with this brew. Excellent job, gentlemen.

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

Poured into a Dogfish signature snifter. Label says 11/09/12

A- Pours a 99% opaque black color with a 3/4 inch tan head that bears great retention time before slowly meandering down to an 1/8 inch ring around the edge of the glass and full tufts of surface foam. Solid, semi-thick lacing.

S- Sharp, grassy hop bouquet that's rounded out well by the rye malt. Very pleasant actually. The hops are wonderfully floral and citrusy.

T- That's what I'm talkin' about. Flood of glorious hop bitterness that''s perfectly in contrasting unison with the rye malt. It's not quite as bitter as Union Jack, though. Much more enjoyable. There are tropical fruit notes but they're distorted, in a good way, through the semi-roasty malts. Also some light spice.

M- Delicately creamy and robust. Medium carbonation is on point.

O- Such a great beer on so many levels. I'm having trouble finding a single flaw.

4.96/5  rDev +16.4%

One of my most favorite black ipas. So smooth.

4.92/5  rDev +15.5%

Bottle picked up from BevMo in Sunnyvale, CA.

Pours a deep brown colour (certainly more brown than black), with a firm and frothy head of mocha foam. Body is solid, holding its carbonation nicely. Lacing is great. Overall, it's a top-notch looking beer. If it were actually black like advertised it would be a clear 5/5.

Ooh, the nose is phenomenal, and is making a good play for a 5/5 itself, straight off the bat. Big fragrant hops meander among the complex and almost unknowable malt basis. Rye gives peppery notes, which mingles with a hint of faintly smoky roast, sweetness and even a touch of salt. The hops complement this, and seemingly fill in the gaps, creating an immensely nuanced but coherent and expressive whole. Gorgeous stuff.

The taste is also complex, but excitingly in different ways than expected from the nose. Here, there is really a genuine hint of smoke, which adds a subtle comforting sweetness underneath everything, above which is layered roast, malt, bright hops, smoothness. There's spice and pepper on the back, but smooth fruitiness, and even a caressing chocolate character. Wow. It's like there's such complexity to every layer at every point on the palate. I feel like I could keep describing the exciting little things which pop up at different points, and still not scratch the surface.

Feel is smooth and rich, but never so much that it starts to overwhelm the palate—it lets the flavours of the beers talk for themselves.

Wow. Just wow. This is a phenomenally good beer. Exciting, complex, rich, but for all that balanced and exceptionally drinkable. Gorgeous stuff. Just gorgeous.

4.89/5  rDev +14.8%

Appearance - Pours a dark cola brown with two fingers of creamy tan head. Smell - roasted malts, hint of rye malts, cocoa, citrus/piney hops, hint of pine resin. Taste - Hit right away with the roasted malts and hint of rye malts followed by the cocoa,citrus/piney hops, and pine resin. Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Finishes with a pleasant lingering bitterness from the piney hops.

4.85/5  rDev +13.8%

A: A one fingers worth of head, dissipated to a lacing pretty quickly, but has good retention. A pretty caramelly looking head.

S: Smells amazing, perfect mix of Rye and Hops. Chocolatey, caramel, a nice pine note without being overpowering, a hint of citrus, candied fruit, a little nutty as it warms,

T: Extremely well balanced, the malts and the hops really work well together. One of the few beers that I've had which the aroma actually matches the taste almost perfectly. I would say that the pine note is much more present in the taste than it is in the aroma, but other than that it is pretty spot on. Doesn't drink like an 8% beer (maybe 6%).

M: Nice dense mouth feel. I wouldn't say creamy or syrupy, it's lighter than that, but has a substantial viscosity to it.

O: This is the best example of a dark hoppy ale that I have had so far. Call it what you want, Cascadian Dark Ale, Black IPA, or American Black Ale...who cares, it's damn tasty!

4.85/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Favorite black IPA, if someone knows a better one, let me know, this one is the top until then

4.84/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This brew pours jet black with a small tan head. Nice aroma dominated by american hops with a burnt malty backdrop. The taste on this beer is unbelievable. The burnt malt and hop characteristics blend perfectly and the result is a stunningly balanced brew. This is by far the best Black American Ale / Black IPA i've had to date. Another winner from Firestone Walker!

4.84/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This bomber has been sitting in my fridge for about 3 months and it was time. I poured into a pint glass.

A: Pitch black, with ruby edges in the light. A finger of tan/brown, long lasting head.

S: Piney, earty and citrus from the hops.

T: If I had tasted this without knowing the style and with a blindfold on I would have wagered on a balanced IPA to start. It is bitter, but with a malty base that gives hints of dark ale. This is a perfectly balanced beer.

M: A very well carbonated beer, the mouthfeel belies the color.

O: This is one hell of a beer. The rye makes it special and helps balance it out.

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Pours black. Some deep reddish brown around the "edges." Two finger, thick tan head with sticky lacing.

S - Fruity hops, toasty malts, and a little pepper.

T - Citrus hop and toasty malt. Slight earthiness and pepper. Has a nice sour finish.

M - Medium body and carbonation, a little dry.

Overall a great beer. To me it has more of a sour finish, rather than bitter and was what I enjoyed most.

4.83/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured from a 22oz bomber with a foil covered crown into a tulip glass. Was almost black with mahogany edges. It had a large tan head that settled into a constant foam cap. Thick collar with lots of thick lace with lots sticking. Excellent looking beer.

The aroma was roasted dark malts, dark chocolate, rye and earthy tones. Very pleasing. The taste follows the aroma and is very smooth and balanced. The aroma led me to think it would be overly bitter and dry like several ABA's that I've had in the past with similar aroma profiles but this one was different. Smooth and dangerously easy drinking from the start with a great bitter component that compliments instead of over-rides the rest of the flavors. Very tasty. Mouthfeel is full and creamy with good carb levels. Smooth after-taste with slight bitter finish.

Overall, excellent and one of the best beers I've had in awhile. Did I mention it's easy drinking and smooth - could get into a lot of trouble with this one. Most highly recommend. Not available here in TX - got in care package from umagum. Rotation - if available here, I'd grab several and pray that this becomes a regular release. [H;Y]

4.83/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Great beer, Love this stuff

4.82/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wookey Jack
80 IBUs
8.3 ABV
Unfiltered Black Rye IPA

I really enjoyed this beer. Kudos to Firestone Walker for brewing a unique beer without taking it too far. It's not every day that I runn across an unfilter black rye IPA. I'd definitely recommed this beer.

4.81/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2 months or younger, sublime. Older than 3 months great ipa. Younger is definitely much better.

4.78/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A good-looking design on a great-tasting beer. Beer is dark, with only some light browness coming through the sides when held up to the light. A nice finger of head dissipates slowly to leave a permanent tan lacing. Smell is great and prominent, of PNW hops--magnum, chinook, and/or cascade.

The taste is phenomenal. Definitely an IPA, but one with lots more body and depth than normal. A nutty caramel sweetness is the initial taste, and is quickly overtaken by the less subtle twang of grapefruity, herbal, and piney hops. Roasted rye underneath throughout. A taste explosion. The bittersweet aftertaste is almost as good as drinking the beer itself. Mouthfeel is moderately heavy body, good carbonation that helps the beer aerate nicely in the mouth.

An excellent beer, and a nice treat for a Friday night.

4.77/5  rDev +12%

Flew this home with me 2 months ago...

A - poors super dark brown...2 finger head, down to thin lacing

S - bubble gum, fruit-grapefruit, malt/bread, bit yeasty, great nose here

T/M - holy monkeys. doesnt match the nose. roasted malt sweetness with bit of the rye spice, hops build in the background and make love to your mouth.

O - I'm a fan of this style...and this beer doesnt need to get any more perfect. Find it. Drink it. Sleep next to the bottle.

Wookey Jack from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.