Wookey Jack - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Wookey JackWookey Jack

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.30% ABV

(Beer added by: barleywinefiend on 03-11-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wookey Jack Alström Bros
4.55/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured from a 650 ml bottle into a Teku glass. Bottled on 5/15/14 stamped on the label.

Pours an opaque black color, about 50-60 SRM with a khaki colored head that dissipates slowly. Visible lacing all around the glass as it is consumed with a constant ring around the glass just at the surface of the beer.

Smells of roasted malt, sweet caramel, rich hop oils, and grass.

Tastes sweet upon first sip with a nice chocolatey middle and a dry roasted malt finish with a pleasant bitterness from the hop content.

Very slick on the tongue with a slight prickliness that leaves the mouth yearning for another sip. Leaves the mouth feeling dry upon swallowing but definitely compliments the palate.

One of the best ABA styles I have had the pleasure of consuming. Quite drinkable despite the 8.3% abv and very easy on the palate. Would definitely seek this one out.

Cheers!

Budinetz, Sep 13, 2014

gopens44, Today at 03:20 PM
4.16/5  rDev -2.1%

CraigTravor, Today at 06:03 AM
4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

Fremont897, Today at 05:06 AM
3.96/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

CTFalcon, Today at 02:03 AM

KRG, Monday at 08:24 PM
2.25/5  rDev -47.1%

aakerman, Monday at 03:24 PM
4.25/5  rDev 0%

Serving type: 22 ounce bomber poured into a belgian style tulip glass.

Aroma: A very nice, mellow citrusy hop aromas on the nose.

Appearance: This looks beautiful, looks like a stout or porter, black with a brown head.

Taste: Not a big citrusy hop flavor up front, pretty mellow, a light roasted dry character on the back end, not getting a lot of alcohol, very smooth, very drinkable for an 8% ABV beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel, light feeling but not thin.

Overall: This is easier drinking than I thought it would be, I was expecting something like Union Jack, that I think is hoppier and has more bitterness. This is very smooth, a nice citrusy bitterness up front, a little roasted character on the back end, but surprisingly very drinkable. I think I need to try more black ales IPAs to get a better understanding of where this fits in the style, definitely worth drinking again and worth trying.

Catracho5, Monday at 03:01 AM
4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

Dcrussell, Monday at 01:56 AM
4.4/5  rDev +3.5%

Gkruszewski, Sunday at 10:21 PM
4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

Yet another Firestone masterpiece. Never had a rye IPA this good (and I have had some really amazing ones). Never had a black IPA this good either. This beer is the best of both worlds. Good job Firestone, yet another reason you are my favorite brewing company!

jmeezy, Sunday at 09:32 PM

Cih26d, Sunday at 09:25 PM
4.6/5  rDev +8.2%

HayleyHK, Sunday at 06:41 PM
4.28/5  rDev +0.7%

I just obtained this one. It is the second one from Firestone Walker that I have tried and I do think they make fantastic beers. I guess I should give props to Beer Camp this year for introducing me to this brewery. It doesn't get distributed to my state, but I travel to VA and they do get it. Anyway, this one was interesting. Not my first black IPA, but this one was not really like the others I had tried, to the best of my recollection.

Appearance: Dark, but not totally lights out dark. There is some transparency in this beer, its almost like a really dark brown ale in color. Big fluffy head that settles to a nice lacing after a few minutes.

Smell:Wow, this is really where this beer hits you. You can detect the hops right away, but you also get that rye spiciness in there too. It does have a bit of the malt character but the hops really do shine in the aroma.

Taste: Not as hoppy as you would expect from the nose. The malts tame it down an bit. I detected the rye heat in there but the dark malts sweeten it up and the hops are not as prevalent, which is a bit of a downer. Nevertheless, its a tasty beer and a really good price for the bomber. I think I picked this one up at a grocery store in VA for less than $7.

Overall: Nice beer. I do like this black ale, black IPA, whatever they want to call it style. It blends the best of two worlds, for me anyway. I have drank a few but kind of backed away while summer was here. Now that we are in a transitional season and I want more stouts this is a good beer to bring me up to speed. I recommend it if you can find it. Its a good price and a very solid beer.

humuloner22, Sunday at 01:51 AM

3.95/5  rDev -7.1%

gonzo000, Friday at 11:57 AM
4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

tappangordo, Friday at 12:50 AM
Wookey Jack from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.