Wookey Jack - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Wookey JackWookey Jack

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.30% ABV

(Beer added by: barleywinefiend on 03-11-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wookey Jack Alström Bros

needMIbeerinMD, Jul 12, 2014

metsfan1, Jul 12, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

Mcarey501, Jul 12, 2014

Skud, Jul 12, 2014

One day I walked into a pub, hankering for a burger, to go. The hostess took my order and told me I could have a seat at the bar while I waited, so I did. The bartender asked "What'll ya have?" and I said, I'd like a beer that's "Chewy". (I refer to my stouts, porters & other full-bodied brews as "beer that drinks like a meal"!). She said "Oh! You want the Wookey!" I said "Um....Sure!". (I didn't make the "Star Wars" connection until much later... it was pure coincidence that she perceived what I said, that way.)

She came back with a brandy snifter, filled with an opaque black liquid, topped with a thin brown head, poured off the tap, with an aroma of coffee and hops. Somehow, I knew this was going to be special.

And it was! Love at first sip! I'm no poet, but the rich flavor was it for me. By the time I got to the bottom of the glass, I knew I had been ruined for all other beers! I had a second, which gave me the perfect buzz, while I ate my burger at the bar!

Other than Heddy Topper, which I've the privelege of getting my hands on, occasionally, Wookey Jack is, to me, the best beer in the world. I'll keep searching and I've got a long journey ahead, but my Chewy beer has set the bar high, for me.

rratrarw, Jul 12, 2014

joemetric, Jul 10, 2014

chip26, Jul 10, 2014
4.01/5  rDev -5.6%

22oz bottle into tulip

A: Stout black, obsidian colored brew wearing a two finger frothy tan head with decent retention. Completely opaque, appearing to have a thick body – carbonation looks fine and light – lacing is moderate. Very interesting.

S: Rich rye aroma, caramel, dry leaves, orange peel, light citrus, notes of pumpkin, very grainy. Pumpernickel, little bit of clove and mellow banana, moist earth, pine, some presence of chocolate malt. Nutty sweetness clashes with a zesty hop character. Ever so smoky.

T: Upfront like an IPA, bitter and resinous. Lightly smoky, piney, accompanied by notes of grapefruit and lemon – hop character blends with the prickly bitters resulting from the lemon/orange citrus and the initial smoked malts. The middle mouth illuminates the rigid malt backbone, caramel, ash, and subtle dark fruits – some fig and date escorted by dark bakers chocolate. Continual clash of smoke, sweet, and [tangy fruit] – all dominated by a dry rye overtone. The rye is rather pungent almost boozey, big presence of spruce towards the finish.

M: Fine carbonation, solid/medium body, after taste is quite dry and very reminiscent of the dominant rye presence

O: Never been a fan of black IPAs/American black ales. Honestly this is one of the better representatives of the style. To me it just seems that this beer can’t make up its mind, although that creates an interesting experience. The overall experience is a Potpourri of flavors that play on the palate like a hybrid brown ale/porter and an IPA. Pretty good, pretty interesting.

ZagZagg, Jul 10, 2014

Bushwacker393, Jul 09, 2014

nebuchadnezzer, Jul 09, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

Roudy, Jul 09, 2014
Wookey Jack from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.