Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Pivo Pils - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Pivo PilsPivo Pils

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: UCLABrewN84 on 07-22-2012

Reviews: 226 | Hads: 1,593
2.81/5  rDev -29.6%

Out of the Bottle
Very nice straw/gold color. Proper carbonation and a nice white head that left a healthy lace after dissipating. Flavor is dominated by the hops. Though a spicy hop character is appropriate for a pils, I think this one was too much for the style. The bitterness had an astringent quality that lingers on the tongue for quite awhile. There is little to no contribution from the malt side to balance the bitterness and the yeast was neutral.

2.91/5  rDev -27.1%

A: Very light straw colour with a very nice white as snow head.

S:Classic German hop aroma, a bit to heavy for a German style Pils

T: The flavor is all hops. Overwhelming hop profile, covers up the pilsner malty flavor, dry finish.

M: Nice carbonation, with a dryish lager finish and a hop kick.

O:Not to style, easy drinking and enjoyable..... Once you get use to the hop avalanche that comes at you with out warning. Hence the low score.

2.92/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Consumed March 27th, 2014 at Blue Palms Brewhouse, Hollywood CA.

Appearance: beer is an extremely pale light gold. One finger white head quickly becomes splotchy lacing.

Aroma is grassy and grainy.

Flavor is malt forward: cereal (corn and rice?). Slight amount of citrus, then a thin bitterness. Very simple flavor profile.

Moderately dry.

Lacking in floral or spicy hop notes, this beer did not satisfy. Have had from a bottle as well and did not enjoy then, either. Will not have this one again.

2.93/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

From a can. I like that I can now get Firestone's beer in cans. Poured into a pint glass.

Fizzy and Yellow. Looks like Rolling Rock, or Bud. No Lacing, head dissipates quickly.

A bit of a hoppy smell upon opening the can. But the smell is lost halfway through the beer.

The taste has that nasty part of the cheap European Pilsners that I've come to dislike. The hoppy flavors have that nasty bite that not-so-good IPAs sometimes present.

Sticky feel, like some of the Octoberfests, that I don't care for.

Overall. Not my thing at all.

I have loved everything else that i have ever had from Firestone. This is disappointing.

3.04/5  rDev -23.8%

The BAers are raving about this beer, so I think I know what to expect...

Bottled on 7/26/13, so not terribly old.

A -- Good clear straw yellow with a good-looking white head that settles pretty quickly to a thin cap.

S -- Spicy, piny hops with mild DMS.

T -- Fleeting malt sweetness up front that is quickly overwhelmed by hops with a spicy, resiny character and near astringent bitterness. The sweet maltiness tries to make a comeback in the finish, but the resiny bitterness holds tight into the aftertaste.

M -- Mouthfeel is soft to dry with a light body.

O -- While drinkable enough, clearly not what I'd call a Pilsner -- of either German or Bohemain variety. The lack of any real malt character and the resiny hop bitterness make this beer more akin to an IPA (big draw there, no?) than a Pilsner. I'm sure this is Firestone's answer to the IPL, and thus the excitement from BA members, but I'd sooner know that "Pilsner" on the label is giving me that style.

3.08/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: The label is sharp-looking, definitely stands out in a store. The beer's color once poured into the glass is slightly darker than your average pilsner, in my opinion (maybe a slight green tinge?) The head stuck around for a little while as well.

Smell: As a brewer, I like that this beer smells hoppy, at least compared to something like Scrimshaw. Reminds me of a summer brew day. Very light aroma, but you've gotta give a golden lager credit when nothing smells "off".

Taste: Disappointing, as far as I'm concerned. Starts with a tiny malty flavor near the middle of the tongue, but fades into straight-up grass near the back of the mouth. 80% or so of what I taste comes from bittering hop. Unbalanced, as far as I'm concerned. Tastes better half-way through the glass then at the beginning, though. Maybe my palate is just different from the average reviewer?

Feel: Definitely saves this beer a bit. Fuller than I expected; if it was any less, I wouldn't be inclined to finish the glass.

Overall: I think Firestone will get its loyal fans hooked on the design and the hoppiness, but not me, sadly. And I'm not a Firestone hater, by any means! I just bought two bottles of their new Double DBA release and LOVED it (the first bottle, I mean; the second is for aging). I just don't feel the need to buy this one again.

3.11/5  rDev -22.1%

12 oz bottle. Pours clear straw yellow with a big frothy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet bready malts and noble hops with a little fruit.

The flavor is sweet toasted malts with a good size grassy noble hop finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, a solid hoppy pils.

3.13/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.25

Thin, prickly body that wasn't satisfying to drink. Simple pils flavor but lacks the drinkability of a classic example. Also lacks the complexity and full body of a Prima. Overall forgettable, like a generic brewpub blonde. It isn't badly made, but there are a number of other pale lagers I'd go with first.

3.21/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

"Pivo Hoppy Pils." Served on-draught into a pilsner glass at South in Santa Monica. Cost was $3.00. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a one finger head of white colour, okay cream, decent thickness, and pretty good (~3 minute) retention. Body colour is a clear pale yellow. Standard fare for the style. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Pale malts. Surprisingly hoppy character for the style; prominent floral hop character. Crisp clean barley. An average strength aroma.

T: Crisp clean pale malt base. Floral hop character. Decent balance. Complex for a pilsner, but not shockingly so. Enjoyable. Not very subtle.

Mf: Smooth, wet, clean, and crisp. Slight overcarbonation. Good thickness. Good body. Suits the flavour profile.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable. I'd have it again. A surprisingly tasty pilsner from Firestone Walker.

High C+

10/04/2015: brief impressions from a can.

Clean drinking, with crisp overcarbonation, a grassy hop profile, and a clean pilsner malt body.

After quadruple decoction Czech pilsners, this drinks like a competent offering in the style at best. Not world class, but well worth trying - and a nice break from the overbearing big bold beers so often prioritized by American craft breweries (including Firestone Walker).

3.27/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle given to me by one of my good beer customers when he was out in the area. Supposedly, FW is going to start sending their full core lineup out to NJ in October, so I've been told, though right now we can't get Union Jack, so we'll see. Poured into a Weizen glass because I don't have any Pilsner glasses, so this is my best improv.

AP: Like coloured water with a light gold/yellow tinge. Can see right through this. Constant stream of bubbles flowing from bottom to top with a 1" foamy white head that settles down a 1/4" with a good amount of lacing on the side of the glass.
AR: Very bready and yeasty with cereal grains and dry grass. Very light floral/herbal notes in the background. Honestly thought I'd get more hops in the aroma, but mostly this smells like a typical Pilsner.
T: Much like the aroma, but a bit more doughy. A faint bitterness on the aftertaste, again only with very light floral/herbal notes and maybe a trace of some spice like coriander and white pepper. This is decent, but I was hoping for more in the taste in the way of the Saphir hops. I've had German beers with Saphir hops in them before that were more assertive than this.
M: The visual would make you think this would be very carbonated, but it's only moderately so, though enough to make for a creamy mouthfeel and a dry cleansing finish.
OV: A bit underwhelming, TBH. A decent Pilsner, but not as hoppy as advertised, IMO. I just didn't get enough of the Saphir hop flavour nor much spiciness.

3.28/5  rDev -17.8%

I had a pint at the FW brewery in Paso Robles. Pivo being Czech for 'beer', I was expecting a traditional European Pilsner. Although this is a well made beer, it violates my sense of what a Pilsner should be. I've had many, many Pilseners from Germany. This is too hoppy. And it's the wrong kind of hops.

Why do American brewers feel they have to indiscriminately dump tons of cascade hops into everything?

3.29/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Had rated this previously but wanted to give some details. While not a good looking beer it has a real good aroma. The hop citrus is there to give this one a much better aroma than most pils. But the taste really misses, it has all the bad of hops (bitter) without the great flavor enhancements. This is basically a bitter bomb pils, not very enjoyable.

3.33/5  rDev -16.5%

Look: Finger and a half of slightly off white head has pretty okay retention. This beer is hazy pale straw in color. Average lacing. An occasional bubble rises from the bottom of the glass.

Smell: Aluminum metallic hops. Slight biscuit malt and an underlying fruit. Lemon and... Green apple?

Taste: More of the same. Biscuit is a bit more pronounced. A little bit to sweet for a pils, in my opinion.

Feel: Medium bodied. Carbonation is a bit understated. A little coarse.

Overall: Kind of reminds me of a dry hopped cider. Really interesting. Not really indicative of the style. Decent beer though. Good beer for passing out on the back of a riding mower but I don't think I will be revisiting this very soon.

3.34/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

From a bottle. Very light gold color, with a quickly dissipating white, foamy head. Mild floral hop aromas. Medium mouth feel with quite a bit of carbonation. Nice balanced flavors, with lemongrass and bitterness most prevalent.

3.38/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle, with bottled on date 07/17/2013 printed on the label. Got a single of this in a mixed six pack from the local Binny's. My second review of a Firestone Walker beer on BeerAdvocate.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours a brilliant clear lager golden yellow with two fingers of soft fluffy bubbly bone white head. Some scattered lacing, but not much.

S - Smell is bland: dusty malt, grain, corn, earth, some light citrus, and a bitter type of smell that I can only describe as oily and "fishy".

T - Taste is a bit more impressive than the nose. Crisp carbonation, bready malt, grains, some pine, and the very apparent presence of earthy German hops. Has some of that same crisp bitter German hop presence that I tasted in the Stone 17th Anniversary Götterdämmerung IPA.

M - Feel ends quick, clean, and dry.

Overall, a smooth, clean, easy drinking beer, but it was less than memorable. It suits the style, but I guess it just wasn't for me. There was something here I didn't enjoy very much. A simple classic pilsner, worth trying at least once.

Firestone Walker Pivo Hoppy Pils ---3.5/5

3.41/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is an ok, average beer when compared to other types of beers, such as IPA's, but in the Pilsner category this is probably the best pilsner I've had, but I don't like Pilsners. Take that into account when reading this. No mistaking it, this is a Pilsner, it tastes like a Pilsner, and looks like a Pilsner, but the taste has something most Pilsners miss, and that's some flavor. Set this beer down next to a Budweiser and just by looking at it, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference, but after tasting it there would be no doubt. I would say people who prefer IPA's over Pilsners and Lagers will still not really like this beer, or find it average at best. However, Pilsner drinkers (Czech and German beer drinkers) will find it refreshingly better than most Pilsners that come out of the US.

3.44/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

So... I suppose I should give a little disclaimer at the beginning here. I will admit I do not really like Pilsners. The malts and yeasts combine to create what I can only feel is a stale flavour. That being said, I can still recognize well crafted content.

This pours as you would imagine a pilsner to look. Pale straw yellow, minimal white head.

The nose presents pilsner malts and yeast. Not much else. Smells fresh.

The aroma gives way to the palate pretty straightforward-ly. Malts, yeast, a bit of bitter on the back end. As mentioned above, I'm no expert on pilsners. This seems like a talented presentation of the style: generally crisp and clean. My main complaint is that there is a weird... afterfeeltastething... reminscent of baking soda/alum on the tongue. A texture that is difficult to put into words.

3.45/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A - Very pale yellow gold with small head that quickly dissipates.

S - Bready. Can't find the hops.

T - Malty graininess and bitter, but not in the hoppy way I was expecting Was expecting more on the hop side of things in terms of flavour. Very smooth and clean.

M - Smooth and crisp and clean. Lots of bubblies.

O - Not what I was expecting, wanted a more of a IPA hop taste mixed with a pilsner feel. Instead, got mostly a pilsner.

3.48/5  rDev -12.8%

Clear bright yellow body and a fluffy white head. Lots of visible carb.

Has that floral/soapy hop thing I don't really dig that dominates but still allows for some pilsner malt flavor to come in. Good light and crisp mouthfeel.

3.48/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A- pours a nice straw colors with a small head that leaves behind nice lacing.

S- sweet malts and grass lead the way with hints of lemon and hops.

T- follows the nose sweet malts are the brunt of the taste but the hops and some spiciness come through also.

M- very thin with a decent amount of carbonation too it with a nice slightly dry finish.

O- while better then your run of the mill pilsner it still leave a good amount to be desired in my opinion, then again I am not a huge pilsner fan. I was hoping that this would be the pilsner to change my mind about the style, maybe I'll try the Victory Prima Pils.

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

12oz: tulip
bottled on: 5-9-13

Clear, birght yellow with a foamy, white head. Dissipates to leave a thin foam across the surface.

Earthy, floral, herbal hops blend with a toasty, cracker malt backing.

Medium body, foamy fizzy carbonation.

Hop-forward, but still balanced, this is a nice take on a German pilsner without straying too far from the classic style. Very easy drinking, but with a complex flavor profile.

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours a yellowish sandy golden with a white head. Aroma is cereal graininess, lemongrass, and actual grass. Flavor pretty much followed suit. A thinner, active mouthfeel. Overall, a solid beer. Not really a style I am usually into, but did enjoy this one all things considered.

3.51/5  rDev -12%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Clear yellow with big fluffy white head and a little stick to the glass. Soft aroma of doughy bread, hay, and floral hints. Taste is not as happy as expected but nice bread notes, hay, floral, light spice on the finish and some mild citric quality buried underneath. Pop of carbonation stays crisp throughout and finishes a bit dryer than I'd like. Good pilsner here with classic flavor profile and a hoppy kick.

3.52/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Aroma: Citrus, a little plus malt, smells like a C-hop.

Up front: A little bitterness, tartness also a little, then a tad citrus, but mostly, bland.

Mid: Some bitterness again, more citrus, and on the side a little bitterness, too.

Back, Again, the predominant flavor is citrus and a little bitterness of a Noble hop, then finally a strong dose of Pils malt sweetness.

Aftertaste: mostly bitterness and citrus.

Mouthfeel: Quite dry, crisp, but still decent mouthfeel for thickness.

Overall: Not bad, really. However, there’s not enough Pilsner in this beer, really. It probably has Pils malt in it, but it’s really not easy to taste any. It’s got lots of citrus flavors, which as you read above predominate, some bitterness which are quite reminiscent of Noble hops. It feels like a Saphir hop beer with a touch of Pils flavor. If you want to make a hoppy Pilsner, the problem is, you need to start with a good Pils. It reminds me of an IPA that’s all hops and not much else. It’s basically not very balanced, and for me, I like strong flavors, even extreme flavors, but balanced means there’s more than one note being played. I’ve used Saphir, a relatively newly developed German hop that has some, and it’s got some citrus flavor to it, but not this much. Basically, you’ve got a semi-bitter, citrus infused beer with only enough Pils malt sweetness to nominally call this a good Pils. I love that they used Saphir and tried some new hops, but I’d rather a Schönramer, Mahrs, Faust or Kneitinger try it with their normal Pils. Now that would be a wow beer. I get the feeling FW should try making an outstanding Pils first, then make it “hoppy." It's hard to score this... maybe a 3.7 of 5.

3.53/5  rDev -11.5%

A -4.25 - Extra light straw color. Very clear. Thin but persistent white head made of exceptionally small white bubbles. Minute bubbles can be seen rising continuously in the glass.

S - 2.75 - Wet, grassy hops dominate the aroma with a low, unappetizing vegetal note that reminds me of sauerkraut. I don't get any malt aromas.

T - 3.75 - The flavors are cleaner than the aromas. Grassy, noble hops hit first, then there's a slightly sweet, pilsner grain note. The wet vegetal aroma is echoed by the aftertaste.

M - 3.75 - Light to medium body. Soft carbonation. Moderate hops bitterness. No alcohol presence.

O - 3.5 - This is billed as a hoppy pils, but I don't find it overly hoppy for the style. I do find the wet vegetal flavor and aromas distracting. I am a big fan of Firestone Walker, but I think they missed the mark with this one. Personally, I'd rather have a traditional Czech pilsner.

Pivo Pils from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.