Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Firestone 16 - Anniversary Ale - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Firestone 16 - Anniversary AleFirestone 16 - Anniversary Ale

5.4% Helldorado
5.4% Bravo
4.5% Wookey Jack
Reviews: 159 | Hads: 1,066

This beer pours into my Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine glass, a very dark brown color, with a thick, fluffy brown head. The head fades slowly, leaving a nice lace. I really like the murky depths of this beer. Holding it up to the light, nothing shines through at all.

This beer boasts a lot of aroma. I smell vanilla, chocolate, oak, light bourbon, figs, and tobacco. Wow, this aroma is intense. So much going on, but not overpowering or cloying at all. Just lots of different aromas.

This beer pretty much tastes like it smells. I get all the above, and also a nice sweet caramel flavor. Maybe just a hint of smoke also. It is pretty damn nice.

This beer is silky smooth. It has a mild carbonation, fitting the style. The 13% ABV is extremely well hidden in both the taste and the aroma. The entire time drinking it, I barely noticed just how strong it was. I get a caramel and toffee aftertaste.

With the high ABV, and the high shelf price, mixed with the limited availability, this beer might not make the best session beer. However, for just one bottle, this beer is very easy to drink.

Overall: This beer is amazing. I have been really impressed with Firestone Walker as a brewery the last few years, and I have always enjoyed their Anniversery releases. This one impresses me just as much and previous ones. Amazing beer!

Very deep copper/brown pour with the usual nice head retention and nice lacing. Very different from last year’s offering, this version is definitely reflective of a higher stout percentage. It’s roastier and considerably drier on the palate with a very firm, tight flavor profile. The bourbon is there, but it’s more subtle, and more brandy comes through, as well. Baker's chocolate, a touch of cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg, figs, lavender, honey, cherry cordial, raisins, dates, vanilla, toasted cocnut, and burnt caramel are evident, as well as plum, breadfruit, kumquat, and a subtle citric quality. I also pick up an eccentric green tea characteristic, and even some melon. There are also esters of agave in brandy that I think must come from the tequila barrel aged buckwheat stout., and it is accompanied by a subtle smokiness, along with those wonderful leather and tobacco notes. XVI is my hands-down favorite in the series, and is absolutely the most drinkable. Thanks, Firestone, for this mind (and palate) blowing achievement.

4.96/5  rDev +15.3%

Consumed 2-15-2015. This is the best beer I've had to date. Extremely complex flavors and smell. I just wish I had more of these. I guess I'm just going to have to wait for my Anniversary 18's to age to get the experience again.

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

This has to be on the of single most unique beers that I've ever had. It's a blend of 8 different beers, using a total of 226 different oak barrels, and blended together by a select group of Paso Robles winemakers. This stellar brew consists of the following:

Velvet Merkin - Oatmeal Stout aged in Bourbon Barrels - 8.7% Abv - (23%*)
Stickee Monkee - English Barleywine aged in Bourbon & Brandy barrels - 12.5% Abv (22.5%*)
Double Double Barrel Ale - Double English Pale Ale aged in 100% retired Firestone Union barrels 14.2% Abv (20.3%*)
Parabola - Russian Imperial Stout aged in Bourbon Barrels - 13% Abv (10.8%*)
PNC - American Strong Buckwheat Stout aged in Tequila barrels 13.0% Abv (8.1%*)
Helldorado - Blonde Barleywine aged in Bourbon & Brandy barrels - 11.5% Abv (5.4%*)
Bravo - Imperial Brown Ale aged in Bourbon & Brandy barrels - 13.4% Abv (5.4%*)
Wookey Jack - Black Rye IPA - 8.3% Abv (4.5%*)

* - notes the percentage of the final product

Served in my Firestone Walker Proprietor's Series glass

A - This one pours a very dark brown that soon becomes murky with a thin cocoa-khaki colored head that slowly dissipates and clings to the slides of the glass. It is very dark and deep as no light can penetrate when I hold it to the light.

S - On the nose I get an abundance of scents. The nose just slaps you in the face with complexity. I'm getting bourbon, dark chocolate, oak, vanilla, faint tequila notes, plums, brandy, and a leathery/tobacco-ish kind of smell that reminds of me a maduro cigar. The bouquet of aromas just makes this so inviting.

T - A slow, but full, sip yields flavors to be expected from the story told by the nose, but there are some additional notes that really transform this into the beast that it is. The milk chocolate, vanilla, oak, dark chocolate, bourbon, brandy, and a surprisingly noticeable amount of tequila, toasted coconut, plums, figs, caramel, toffee, molasses, roasted malt, and some faint smokiness that somewhat reminds me of a smore. It's blended so well as to where no flavor is particularly dominant.

M - The mouthfeel is pretty much spot on from what you would expect from a beer like this. I thought it could have been a touch thicker, but that's just being nit picky. It has a mild cheweyness to it. It's full, rich, and smooth as silk.

O - Overall, this is one incredible beer and it will be interesting to see how this develops over time. Firestone Walker's barrel aging is top-notch and this beer is an amazing testament to that. This one is absolutely one of my new favorites. Well done!

4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter

A: Pours black with ruby hues with a finger of off white/ light khaki head. Has descent lacing and pearlage .

N: Dark fruites, dates in particular, and booze upfront. Follows with vanilla and chocolate up the rear.

T: Similar to the nose but more chocolate and less boozy. Still get the dark fruit and vanilla notes in the middle.

M: Heavy to medium body with a light carbonation. Slight warming sensation with the swallow.

O: Excellent! For a 13% beer I finished with no problem and continued my session with lower ABV beers. Cant wait for !7!

4.89/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Deep, dark, rich mahogany with nuances of dark garnet. Bordering on black. Head is moderate and quickly dissipates leaving traces around the edges.

S: Vanilla, bourbon, rich dark fruit, and actually a little tequila maybe. Also getting some fresh baked doughnuts strangely enough. Very complex.

T: Ridiculous. So much going on. Among the flavors I'm getting are: molasses, maple, brown sugar, doughnuts, wood, bourbon, vanilla, rum drenched raisins, milk chocolate, toffee, chocolate cake batter, and caramel. I'm even getting a little bit of the tequila (I swear) which I thought would be offputting but I'm actually digging it. Phenomenal tasting brew.

M: Satisfying for sure. Perhaps still a little on the "hot" side as I'm drinking it. ABV definitely detectable. Viscous, thick, and rich.

What can I say? This is one of the top beers I have ever had in my opinion. I loved the 15 and I may love this one even more. World class for sure.

4.89/5  rDev +13.7%

some chocolate milk head but that went away quickly. very very dark brown in the glass, no lacing, just unorganized foamy bubbles on the side of the glass. smell is very beautiful. bourbon is very nice layered on top of some lighter coffee, toffee roasted malts, vanilla. taste is the same and very well-balanced, very smooth. all I can say is 'wow'. a little bitter on the sides, but this is extremely smooth and velvety. I didn't research this much before I opened it so I was intrigued when I read what Phelps wrote in his review back in July. quite a mix of some decent brew. before I even continue with this, and I think I just want to relax and enjoy this one, I will recommend you scroll down to read what Phelps wrote as that was a really nice description....
mmm, lingering chocolate and not in a novelty way. this is really an almost perfect brew. this one is truly "good to the last drop".

4.86/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

22oz bottle poured into a large snifter

Pours dark brown, slightly muddy looking, little head, small amount of carbonation. Basically opaque. Smell is rich, sweet, fruity, alcohol, some black licorice, some smoke, chicory, something chocolatey. It smells very interesting.

Taste is shockingly creamy and smooth. Alcohol is noticeable, but not even vaguely overpowering. Well balanced by sweetness that comes out as chocolate and dark fruit. Jesus. This is delicious.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. Buttery, velvety, but not sticky or heavy. Terrific.

Overall, this beer is world class, excellent. Well done, Firestone Walker.

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Thanks to DocJitsu & SalukiAlum for answering my sad & pathetic call for the most current Firestone Anniversary beer. If there was one brewery I could bring to the shelves & bars of Minnesota...22 oz. bottle split with my wife. I'll sneak a whole bomber for myself when she's not looking, later.

Pour is darker than I recall the last beauties, red to the tune of matte night. I pick my nose, then put it in the beer, & it's fairly quiet. Very sweet, vanilla, barrel. Oh goody.

Firestone Walker XVI is a fucking work of art straight out of the gate. Holy crap ass-monkey, I'm not even sure where to begin. A listing of tastes isn't going to begin to describe the orgy going on around my gums. Sweet caramel & toffee, big boozy bite in the ass, plunk of vanilla, enough bourbon to make me loopy, & a slight under-berry of tequila...which I wouldn't have been able to I.D. without the label, but knowing it's there, it lends great cleavage to the taste. Rich to the point of Bailey's Cheesecake. I could drink this coming out of a garden hose.

Brilliant. This is a beer for the ages & possibly the best Anniversary beer fresh. Rich, decadent, just pure happiness. Close to perfect.

4.82/5  rDev +12.1%

A: Dark, thick, and a bit of deep reddishness.

S: Sugary, molasses, oak

T: !!! Wow, incredible. So much going on. Bourbon, oak, tannins, dark chocolate-cherry brownies.

M: No complaints

Overall: This was a surprise for me. I was at the tasting room and ordered one not knowing what to expect. The moment I took the first sip I knew it was very special. Came in a tiny 6 oz. snifter.

4.76/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is an experience, one to be slowly enjoyed...sipped, savor end, and contemplated. It is dark, ruddy brown, and just slightly carbonated. A thin, slim head sits on top...quickly fading. The taste is where this beer grabs you, and truly doesn't let go. Adjectives come to mind - enveloping, layered, complex, expansive, wow. It is sweet, malty, boozy, and very oaky. Earthy, yet refined. Dark fruit, cocoa, fig, and smoke. It is hard to describe because the date changes and reveals ever more complexity with every sip. Warming and, at times, numbing. Full in body, even luxurious. The taste hangs on the tongue long after the drink. Exceptional.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

I have hold to this beer for almost two years, this was my very first expensive beer, I think I paid about $20 for one bottle but coming from traditional beer it was pretty expensive.
Nice thick head and deep charred caramel flavor with really nice whiskey hints, body wise it has a nice full bodied texture. Definitely an anniversary beer. Well done fi

4.69/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wow first thing I smelled was rich chocolate and coffee. However the taste of the coffee and chocolate wasn't in the for front it came in at the end. You could taste the oak as well and all of these are strong flavors normally. Some how the brewers balance all of these bold flavors to make a smooth wonderful beer.

4.67/5  rDev +8.6%

From 650 mL bottle to pint glass

Ahh, Firestone's blended series continues. Notes of anise, vanilla and caramel leap from the glass while the deep mahogany and rich complexion keep with expectations. Having sampled Firestone's barrel-aged, there's a certain signature profile unique to the brewery, which makes Parabola and Abacus ridiculous. Pretty much the same thing here.

Boozy notes blend with anise and chocolate. Oak and vanilla are bordered by a touch of hop crispness. The whole mouthfeel is cohesive and singularly but nuanced. Finishes long but doesn't linger.

This brew is amazing, and it shows Firestone has developed a trademark barrel-age flavor. The beer is extremely dangerous, 13% is afterthought...sip slowly.

4.67/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured from a bomber bottle into my Deschutes tulip...

A - Pours an extremely dark cola brown, with 1 finger of light brown head. Head fades rather quickly leaving very sparse lacing.

S - Complex aroma ranging from rich chocolatey/cocoa to sweet and fruity. As it breathes and warms, the bourbon becomes very evident.

T/M - Wow, very well integrated. The flavor starts off rich and chocolatey, evolves into a barleywine, booze, and finishes off lingering cocoa/bourbon. Thick/creamy mouthfeel. Good carbonation.

O - Another amazing anniversary beer from Firestone. It is drinking a little hot right now, but not as strong as I would expect for being 13%. Delicious, and way too easy to drink for being this strong. Can't wait to revisit this in a year or so. Cheers!

4.66/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - A very dark brown, verging on black with some dark reds where the light hits the glass. A khaki white half finger of head disappeared almost instantly to the 13% abv. Alcohol legs swirl around in the glass as the beer sticks to the side of my snifter. It invites for a nose to get a good whiff.

S - ahh, yes! Big vanilla and barrel qualities to this aroma. Some typical stout notes with the coffee and dark chocolates in the background. Toffee and caramel are rather noticable along with some dark fruits. The magic of this beer is that new aromas arise with every attempt to figure this brew out via nose. The complexity is profound.

T - Holy shit...

M - Very slight carbonation and just a tab bit of alcohol burn as it finishes. Coats the mouth like a hearty Imperial Stout. Sticks around in your mouth more than any other Strong Ale I have ever had.

O - One of the reasons FW barrel program cant be touched. The complexity is ABSURD. So many flavors to contemplate. If you passed up on this one, I feel bad for you. I can detect all of the Parabola, Sucaba, and DDBA in this one. I hope to try Velvet Merkin one day. Can't say enough about this beer. For $20, I feel like I robbed the liquor store. Keep going FW!

Taste (attempt #2, you didn't honestly think I was going to leave you hanging, did you?) - Big vanilla up front, these barrels are killing it! Huge toffee from the Sucaba blended in. Slight bit of caramel. Notes of dark fruit and slight coffee from the Velvet Merkin and Parabola. I am also getting a small bit of tequila from the PNC. This blend just screams Stout mixed with Barleywine in the most absurd variety of barrels. I know they put hops in here somewhere, but I cant even get the slightest hint. And the best part is? It works! Easily a 5 rating for taste. The complexity is unrivaled and it works.

4.66/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had a free sample on tap, poured into a shot glass.

A: Dark brown, nearly black with a brown ring of head.

S: Vanilla, oak, some citrus, chocolate, roasted malt, coffee, grass and coconut in the nose. Smells like a bourbon barrel aged black ale.

T: Starts off fruity, like a citric IPA, but not bitter, followed by chocolate, roasted malt, coffee and vanilla/oak bourbon character. Delicious and quite interesting.

O: Try it if you can. It's really good. I couldn't find bottles of it anywhere. This was my first Firestone Anniversary Ale and I can't wait to try next years. Lucky I'll have Sucaba and Parabola to comfort me.

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

Picked up a bomber from BevMo in late November for $22.99.

Beer poured a dark brown with a decent tan head upon the initial pour.

Nose is lovely, vanilla and bourbon with some dark fruits.

Taste is crazy good, vanilla and bourbon, dark fruits, some hints of chocolate blended artfully together to form a delightfully aged bourbon barleywine stout.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and very smooth.

Overall a superb beer that is masterfully crafted. For the abv it is only slightly warming and not cloying. Glad i could experience this gem. I hope i can snag a bottle of the 17th anniversary!

4.62/5  rDev +7.4%

A - Pours a dark black with a bit of brown around the edges and a finger of frothy tannish head. The head fades down at a fairly quick pace leaving behind some nice lacing.

S - Aroma is a mix of sweet caramel and dark caramel malts, oak, vanilla, Bourbon, tequila, chocolate, roasted malts, brown sugar, toasted coconuts, dark fruits, Brandy, and a bit of booze.

T - Starts off with a mix of dark caramel malts, vanilla, tequila, dark fruits, and some toasted coconut. Through the middle, the oak, Bourbon, Brandy, chocolate, roasted malts, brown sugar, and bit of citrus hop. The finish is a mix of dark caramel malts, dark fruit, oak, vanilla, toasted coconuts, Bourbon, Brandy, Tequila, chocolate, molasses, and booze.

M - Full bodied with mild carbonation. Feels smooth with a sweet and warming finish.

D - Very drinkable. Amazing blend of flavors. Very complex but still has a great deal of smoothness.

4.61/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A-black with a a very thin cream colored head.

S-strong scent of really dark chocolate, almost like baking chocolate. Definitely smells like it was aged in some sort barrel. Very sweet.

T-a prett good beer. Comes in with a taste of mixed barrel flavors. I don't know how else to describe it. Has a good aged aspect reminiscent of a good, raw Belgian. It's very thick and...velvety. Has a thick after-taste, very full, almost like a good dinner. Some hints of coffee and cocoa in there. No alcohol. Maybe some berries. Well balanced. Well done.

M-medium creamy carbonation with a nice, creamy finish

O-yes, the flavor is awesome, but what I'm most impressed is how smooth this is for the high abv. It's difficult to find such a well done high gravity ale. This is such a relief after having Fruet last week. A bottle worth drinking by yourself, but you'll want to share and spread the word with this one.

4.6/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle

A: Very dark brown/almost pitch black with a thin white head.
S: Starts of very roasty with some coffee aroma and dark chocolate. Followed by vanilla, bourbon, oak and dark fruits.
T: Not as much coffee as the nose, but there is still some roastiness in there. Tastes a lot like dark fruits (plum) mixed with chocolate and vanilla. Tastes more chocolately than the nose would suggest, almost like a chocolate doughnut. Bourbon and oak blend in very well at the end of this.
M: Medium/thick bodied with light carbonation. Works well with the style.
O: Firestone Walker does not disappoint. This beer is extremely well blended to showcase all of the elements. Dangerously drinkable.

4.6/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

appearance: Beautiful dark brown with ruby highlights. Head is huge for a 13%'er. How'd they do that?
smell: how much doth this smell delicious and complex? Let me count the ways....16 I think. Semi-sweet chocolate, dark fruit...and full disclosure, I'm plagiarizing from the FW site (which is spot on) creme brulee. As this warms, it opens up more and more.
taste: ditto dat nose. This is just wonderful.
overall: I really dug the 15 and more-so the 14 (first anniversary I had the pleasure to imbibe). The FW site outlines how this was made, and what went in - to me it tastes like the love and abilities that went into making it, just wonderful. Props FW!

4.59/5  rDev +6.7%

Re-review one year to the day later. Bomber to a snifter, given a few minutes to warm up. Happy new years!

Pours black with a half finger of mocha foam that's dissipated quickly into a frothy ring. Mild carbonation creeping up on the sides of the glass, good legging and very spotty lacing

Giving it an additional few minutes to breathe. Smells of oak, caramel, brown sugar, toffee, molasses, bourbon, figs, coffee, cherries, chocolate, brandy, and alcohol. Everything melts into a very sweet and rich smelling dose of oak, sugar, and booze

Taste is close with the nose- upfront oak, caramel, chocolate, bourbon, alcohol, toffee, brown sugar, dark fruits, vanilla and brandy. Definitely improved over a year, still not on par with the aroma though

Feel is thick and heavy, sticky and creamy. Still drinks pretty warm despite it's age, very drinkable though

Overall journey's going great so far. Two more, I'll be sure to review them both

Bomber to snifter. At $23 this is the most expensive bottle I've ever bought

Pours midnight black with half a finger of mocha foam that receded pretty quickly with some good lacing, no visible carbonation. Coats the glass with good viscosity like a good wine. 4

Smells of oak, banana esters, vanilla, butter scotch, coffee beans, maple syrup, chocolate, cherries, a hint of citrus, some tobacco, leather, and some alcohol. Quite a lot going on here, very complex.5

Taste follows the nose pretty well, dark oak melds with dark fruits, coffee, tobacco, with a strong kick of alcohol. 4

Mouth is full bodied and thick. Very sticky and rich.4.5

Overall this beer really needs some age. It's really good but drink a little hot for me. I have another bottle in my cellar, I'll be sure to re-review in a year or two 4

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

8 pour into a mini nonic glass.

A: Pours a dark brownish black that lets light through about 1/4 of an inch. A small khaki head that dissolves to a film.

S: Aroma of barrel aging, bourbon, oak and vanilla. Big malt bill on this one.

T: Such a balanced barrel flavor. The mix of beers really blends together nicely. Tequila does come through and provides a touch of burn. A stoutish barley wine with a focus on barrel aging.

M: Medium to full body with a creamy mouthfeel. Touch of a burn from the barrels. Certainly a sipper but one to be enjoyed.

Overall such a great blend. Very impressive and does justice to a great brewery's anniversary.

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This sat on store shelves for months. Que?? After I delved into the Double Dba, I had to go back and pull the trigger on this one.

Cola perception with a head that fizzles away quickly, receding to the edges in a thin line formation. Soon that will be gone too as it comes up in temperature.

I could assimilate this all day long. Bananas fried in butter flambéed in Grand Marnier. Alcohol, light brown sugar, vanilla oaked tequila. Bourbon notes with a floral bouquet dusted with cocoa powder. A very complex libation, really, need I go on?

Taste of alcohol throughout entire sip or 'aggressive slurp'. My mind goes through a myriad of booze. Let's go...first I get the anejo tequila, shutterbox, as a camera, I get oaky bourbon, onto a delightful rye whiskey. A mellifluous sweetness with fig and dried cherry. Hoppy bitterness that is subdued in a dusty Dutch cocoa fashion. This is tremendously tremendous.

Some pucker from the cocoa and hops. Almost no carbonation at the ideal temperature.

You need to follow the manufacturers recommendation to drink this at the optimal 55F to fully enjoy the voluptuousness and intricate aromas and flavours.. Cold temp. proves to be bitter, untamed, raw and unsophisticated. The dynamics lend well to the pleasuring of the palate. This breaks down inhibitions and...tally ho.

Firestone 16 - Anniversary Ale from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.