Firestone 16 - Anniversary Ale - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Firestone 16 - Anniversary AleFirestone 16 - Anniversary Ale

5.4% Helldorado
5.4% Bravo
4.5% Wookey Jack
3.43/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Deep brown caramel with a small khaki head. Settles quickly. Just a stray wisp on the surface.

Smell - Lots of barrel, but nondescript. A lot of different alcohols mixing here. Caramel and some darker malts.

Taste - Much more rich caramel than the nose and a more direct Bourbon barrel. Vanilla and bitter oak. Chalky and bitter finish. Mix of flavors that is impossible to discern.

Mouthfeel - Doesn't taste like 13%, but it had all sorts of other pitfalls. Rough bitter finished and a very odd flavor I can't pick out.

Overall - There's something there I can't pick out. Unpleasant in the back. Chalky is he best way to describe it.

3.56/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

a: This was just a degree shy of being pitch black. It poured with the thin, khaki colored fizzy head.

s: Absolutely dominated by whiskey and naked oak aromas. There were hints of vanilla, roaty malts, grassy hops, and caramel; but they were quite mild when compared to the bordering on harsh barrel notes.

t: Up front I tasted a boozy, too heavily hopped big stout. I could find some roastiness, caramel, and maybe a hint of fruit, but the surprisingly strong grassy hop note wad distracting. There was nice, strong whiskey flavor towards the middle that was quickly brushed aside by woody, bitter astringency.

m: Thin or silky depending on your overall level of enjoyment I suppose.

o: I liked this more than my review suggests, but overall I am disappointed. I'm very glad that I shared this one. 22 ounces would have been kind of a chore. The pale ales in the blend came through too strongly in my opinion, making this drink almost like a wateted down or diluted stout. The barrel notes were good, but more vanilla would have been welcome. The underlying beer came across as a kind of random hodgepodge of beer. I've never tried any of the beers in this blend, but my suspicion is that a lot of great beers were sacrificed to make a slightly above average one.

3.59/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

I like Firestone. I think they have some good beers and some decent beers. I was stoked to try this anniversary after hearing that it is a blend (stoked and worried, that is); I was pleasantly surprised by the complexity and flavor, however, and would recommend this beer.

3.65/5  rDev -16.1%

Served in an Illinois State shaker pint glass.

Now that the tacos and whatnot have been consumed, howzabout a digestif? This stuff pours a deep ruby-black-brown topped by a finger of dark khaki foam. The nose comprises roasted malts, whiskey, dry oak, toasted caramel, a hint of coffee, light dark greens, and a kiss of pine sap. The taste brings in more of the same, with a stronger contingent of green, leafy hops. Interestingly, though all components return, they don't express themselves as harmoniously as before, instead opting to individually spiking up against each other at various points. The body is a hefty medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a sorta/kinda dry finish. Overall, a solid blend, one that's generally enjoyable, but one that also suffers from a lack of refinement. Perhaps a bit of age would do this beer well, but as things stand now, it's good but not great.

3.67/5  rDev -15.6%

1620th Review on BA
Bottle to FW snifter
22oz

2012 release
Purchased for $22.99 at Party house, Chino Hills

App- Out of the bottle this had a ton of browns and deep reds behind it. When held to the light it had a really good and deep center. Fairly dense all the way around with a little bit of a lighter edge. I was very suprised to see no cling or lace. Ring of 1/8" tan bubbles.

Smell- A lot going on. When I started reading the letter in the box, I can see why this was so complex. Overall after it warms from the 53F I opened it at, I pick up oak, char, malts, whispy booze with some oatmeal and a bit of the tequilla, balanced out by a subtle bitter and a dark chocolate aroma. Alot went into this blend, but just not doing it for me.

Taste- Well I was super excited for this bottle. Although it's not as good as 13-15. This was a bit grainy with a interesting booze mix. All of the barrel characters bring a little bit of something to the party. It's fairly woody, grainy and even some of the prickly tequilla comes out. Heavy malts with oak and earty char. A balance of the chocolate and oatmeal is there with Merkin being most of the final blend though.

Mouth- It was a fairly creamy body with tinges of the prickliness of the body with a bit of chocolate, oatmeal and oaky char. The carbonation was medium but just was better than the body.

Drink- I would say this is probably my least favorite of the anniversary blends. I will also say I didnt have (10-12) This one and the blend just didnt do it for me. I will probably try to find another bottle to sit on but not expecting miracles from it.

3.75/5  rDev -13.8%

Firestone 16 - Anniversary Ale from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.