PNC Imperial Buckwheat Stout - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

PNC Imperial Buckwheat StoutPNC Imperial Buckwheat Stout

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.70% ABV

Beer added by: Rifugium on 06-11-2013

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.97/5  rDev -10.2%

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Black body. A little transparent at the edges. Medium khaki collar.

Smell - Bourbon. Chocolate. Boozy. Vanilla. Some oak.

Taste - Chocolate. Vanilla and bourbon. A little bit of nuttiness. The finish has what must be that tequila barrel flavor, although I wouldn't call it directly tequila. Definitely something that I'm not sure I love. Very oaky finish.

Mouthfeel - Hefty body. Boozy. Sharp oak. Medium carbonation.

Overall - The tequila barrel throws me off, but the rest of this beer is fantastic. (556 characters)

On tap at the Falling Rock for their Imperial Stout mini-fest. Almost no head on this one and completely black. Aroma is odd, boozy, must be the tequila. Flavor is a nice maltiness backed up by that punch of alcohol. Overall, pretty good but I bet bourbon barrels would be better. (280 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Draft at Monk's Cafe in Philadelphia, PA.

Pitch black and opaque wih a two finger, frothy mocha head that very slowly settles into a thick, lasting ring.  Great retention for the style with streaks of soapy lacing coating the glass on the way down.

Inviting nose with a really strong barrel character that's nicely integrated into whatever the base beer is.  Plenty of damp oak, spicy bourbon, vanilla and coconut countered by sweet and roasted dark malt notes.  Subtle agave/tequila presence but it's overpowered by the bourbon and oak notes. Wouldn't have guessed it was in there if I didn't know.  Spicy bourbon and vanilla bean flavor followed by gourmet roast, dark chocolate and sweeter, dessert-like bakers chocolate sweetness.  Smells great, I just wish that the tequila/agave was stronger/more noticeable in the aroma.

Thick and viscous full body with a strong boozy barrel presence that gives off a lot of heat and spicy bourbon flavor that lingers over the malt backbone into a sweet, slightly dry and hot finish.  Plenty of warmth in the chest.  Agave syrup and tequilla stands out here more than in the nose with a subtle citrus/honey character but again it's overshadowed by the oak and spicy bourbon.  Subtle toothpick/dry oak flavor with some vanilla, coconut and burnt sugar.  Huge spicy bourbon flavor countered by a nice tequila presence that starts to stand out as it warms.   Thankfully, the prominent barrel notes don't obliterate the malt flavors with plenty of roasted espresso bean, oatmeal and bittersweet dark chocolate.  A little bit of dark fruit in there as well with some fig, plum and raisin.  More tequila/agave than in the nose but the flavor profile isn't quite as complex.   Needs some more malt sweetness and it's a bit too hot/boozy at this point for my preference.  It burns a bit going down and you can feel all 13+%!  This becomes more tolerable as it warms and the palate adjusts but it seems like it needs some time to mellow out.   (1,999 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -7.7%

Bottle shared by Curran last night.

Pours a dark, oily deep black, with a half inch head, and a good amount of lacing.

Smells a bit boozy and tequila forward, but I am not a huge fan of tequila, so I probably pick it up a bit stronger than most people, who seem to say the tequila is milder. Beyond that, I get a good amount of oak and chocolate.

I wouldn't classify this one as the best of the FW boxed series, but it's still pretty tasty. The tequila feels pretty strong to me, with lots of oak, some coconut, vanilla, and a lot of fudgy chocolate. It feels fairly bitter, due to the booze, oak, and possibly the buckwheat?

This is pretty thick bodied, with a creamy, fudgy, and pretty boozy mouthfeel. The booze lingers on the palate a little bit after each sip.

This is a pretty unique stout, but my slight to strong aversion to tequila makes it hard for me to love this. As it is, it's well made and tasty, but a little boozy. (936 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -7.7%

Sent to me and then shared at DLD 2014. 4 oz. in multiple pours in a glencairn.

A - Typical, deep cocoa with a frothy dark khaki head. Looks a lot like Parabola.

S - The tequila spirit only hints in the aroma. Char/ash, dark chocolate, lime, pitted dark fruit.

T - More presence now. Spirity, oak, lots of espresso, obvious alcohol solvency, sultana.

M - Plentiful warming, smooth moderate body, semi-short bitter finish.

D - This is really unique and on-par with the best FW has to offer. Would have no hesitation to try again. Can only really knock the hefty alcohol presence and wondering if it's tougher to keep a tequila barrel in check vs. the usual whiskey treatment. (679 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -6.6%

Many thanks to anotherjoe for surprising me with a bottle of this. Pours black in color with a rich brown cap. The aroma contains cocoa and lots of barrel with slight mineral feel. Plenty of oak and solvent alcohol blend to almost something like raisons. The solvent alcohol feel carries over from nose to flavor with plenty of roasty char appeal as well as fruity chocolate covered raisons. The barrel aging imparts oak and vanilla with some herbal hops being the last things noted. This is a very full and creamy feeling body with moderate carbonation. I cannot think of a tequilla barrel aged beer that I have enjoyed more than this. Well done. (647 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A : Poured a jet black with a light khaki head, some decent head retention leaves a light foamy curtains on the sides of the glass

S: A nice roastiness with a light booziness, some chocolate, coffee, light vanilla and coconut. I barely detect the "infamous" tequila

T: Upfront reminds me of a Parabola. Plenty of roast, vanilla, coconut and coffee. The tequila is sordove undercover until the finish and even then its not as boastful as I believe many, myself included were expecting.

M: Well carbonated, velvety, smooth and very flavorfull. Medium-full to full bodied, not very heavy. No stinging booze or astringency. Just liquid smoothness.

O: Very nice beer by my favorite brewery! This was consumed draft at the Bottleworks release. I was actually wanting a bit more tequila presence. (795 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

1792nd Review on BA
Bottle to Stemmed Tulip
22oz

Batch 1
Purchased at Toronado SD for my birthday 5/16

App- A standard appearing stout from FW on this one for. A good solid dark color, a nice soft khaki brown head, a slight cling and no light penetration.

Smell- I am going with a 4 because it was just a little hard to pick anything out on this one really. I let warm for about 10 mins and tried to get the Tequila and had minimal chocolate aromas. Maybe a touch of lime to go along.

Taste- I enjoyed this one. It was quite different and brought a lot to the table. Many flavors competing on this one and then they all kind of got lost in the shuffle. The oak is really what dominates.

Mouth- A big solid medium body with a medium carbonation level. Delectable creamy and quite a bit smooth. The tequila is there when it warmed to almost room temp.

Drink- I don't quite think this was worth the price I paid for it, wish I would've had it at retail price. Don't we all have those moments though. (1,002 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Batch 1, consumed at Monk's Cafe, Philly
Poured into a snifter

A- pours pitch black with a small fizzy light tan head that reduces quickly, leaving no lace and some short alcohol legs

S- dark chocolate with some toasty and smoky malt, the tequila is definitely noticeable with an agave-like aroma mixing with vanilla and oak barrel, dark prunes

T- chocolate and smoky malt mesh with a big barrel presence with the tequila popping through. It's not a lot different than bourbon barrel aged beers, but definitely a noticeable difference with the agave sweetness popping through. Notes of dried fig with a hint of coffee kick in, leading to sweet caramel and more dark fruit on the finish

M- medium-viscous body with moderate carbonation lead to a foamy mouthfeel and a warming finish

O- my first tequila barrel aged beer, and it was welcomed. It wasn't a huge difference in flavor compared to a BBA beer, but a nice change. Another great beer from Firestone (960 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -4.1%

Sampled this at Falling Rock Taphouse in Denver. Served chilled in a balloon glass.

I was very excited to sample this beer, having heard amazing things about it. The pour is dark...black in the glass with a creamy tan head consisting of small bubbles. The head retention is good, not much in the way of lacing.

The smell of this beer is simply an intense oak aroma, almost completely dominated. There are dark roast malts and subtle tequila, but really this is an oak bomb. It is certainly enticing, and smells wonderful really, but is it too one dimensional?

The signature Firestone Walker smoothness! The velvety smooth body is contrasted with a slight heat on tongue, and notes of tequila in the finish. Simply perfect carbonation level here, with very fine bubbles that helps to contribute to the smooth body. Flavors of roasted malt, coffee, berries, agave, and corn syrup all mingle together. There was more to appreciate in the flavor than was hinted at in the aroma. The tequila is extremely subtle....very understated. I think that is a positive thing here.

Firestone Walker's PNC is incredible. Extremely flavorful, and despite the heat, not harsh but so so smooth, and I wish that I could drink this again. I will say that the brewer I was hanging out with just said "I fucking hate Firestone Walker." And he meant that in the nicest of ways...like "How the hell do they do it?" (1,394 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

First had: on tap at Monk's, Philly, PA

Served in a tulip, black, with tinges of brown around the edges, and topped with a thin tan head that receded to a meager ringlet. In the nose, dark chocolate, dark fruits, booze, and lighter notes of coffee and vanilla. Rich, full taste, chocolate, figs, tequila very obvious and actually well-balanced, with a stiff oakiness from the barrel, dark malty sweetness, toffee, and a touch of toasted coconut. This was a big beer. BCBS-ish in nature (only with tequila). Slick, oily mouthfeel, full body, definitely boozy though, so it makes for a good sipper. Very good overall. (616 characters)

4.26/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Well to start out, I am surprised to see this classified as an American double stout. I would have guessed it was gonna be classified as a wheatwine, but whaddo I know.

For a double stout, it sure is light and 'not black' looking. It was a reddish brown from where I was standing, but hey, I was a few beers in already at the time I savored this at the FW Invitational. The head was thin and beige.

Aroma was similar to the Melange 3/Bruery Anniversary beers in that it was full of a toffee and barrel sweetness like an alcoholic box of Cracker Jacks. I liked the aroma of Mikkeller's Tequila barrel black hole, and this one is no different. Throw in some coconut and vanilla in the aroma to round it out. Complex.

Taste drinks frighteningly smooth and is easy to drink for something so strong. Tasted nowhere near that type of abv. Oak is pleasant. Mild cocao contribution to the smoothness and just enough sweetness to counteract any bitterness. A mellow ride, man. (971 characters)

4.28/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A-Black in the glass with a one finger brown head that left some lacing, but more clear around the edges.

S-Some spirit flavor, not much of tequila, but maybe I haven't had enough good tequila. Oak, some char. Sugar, molasses and chocolate as well.

T-Once again it starts with the spirit flavors, more spicy that say a bourbon. Oak and char as well. Then rounded out with molasses and some chocolate.

M-Medium bodied, not much carbonation.

O-I was iffy on the tequila barrels, but they gave off a nice flavor and produced a really good beer. (545 characters)

4.29/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into an Altamont glass. Vintage 2013. Batch 001.

A: Nice off-white head fades fast and leaves nice lacing.

S: It smells...fine? Reminiscent of something. Cereal grain? Maybe that's the buckwheat. Slightly oxidised?

T/M: Huge vanillins right up front and they just last and last. A really rich, sweet, beautiful beer. I get barely (if any) tequila at all. Maybe barrel-aging? My tequila-hating friend Adam swears he can taste it right at the end, and I do suppose there's a tang right at the end. It's mostly just a big sweet stout. I don't taste the booze but my buddy,

O: Man, this is good. Skepticism aside, FW knows what's up. Incredibly delicious, highly recommended, very nice stout, Sweet, but balanced. (743 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a tulip glass. No noticeable head, very black, some nice tan swirls on top with bubbles clinging to the side.

Smells really sweet. Some chocolate, oak, some small amount of tequila.

Taste is pretty sweet. Very dry finish. Chocolate and brown sugar is very dominant, tequila is there, nice oak notes. Something bitter that lingers at the end, too. Very sweet, happy to be splitting a bottle. Pretty interesting taste here. The alcohol shows up but it's not overpowering.

Pretty thick mouthfeel, coats the whole mouth and leaves that dry finish. Very warming and sticky. Probably it's best feature.

It's a decent beer, was hoping to pick up some more of the tequila barrels, they are mixed in with the base beer. Overall it's good, and happy I got to try it. (773 characters)

4.31/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance- I received this beer with a minimal amount of head which appeared to have been a very light and creamy beige. Minimal retention. The body is a murky and opaque, dark chocolate brown. Good lacing is left behind.

Nose- This is delicious and exactly what you expect from a barrel aged Firestone Walker. Slight coconut. Loaded with caramel, vanilla, and toffee. But what's the star of the show? Butterscotch. Butterscotch which is very warm and glowing. This is very promising.

Taste- Coconut and coconut and more coconut. Another good offering from Firestone Walker. The heat is pretty high that is to be expected from a tequila barrel. Also, this shows pretty much all of the notes of the nose. Caramel, vanilla, and toffee. The butterscotch, however, is not as prominent as on the the nose. The tequila qualities are slight. Lots of chocolate and coffee. Not quite as good as a Parabola or an Abacus but definitely better than DDBA or Velvet Merkin. I was apprehensive about this beer since it was aged in tequila barrels but the slight contribution of the tequila is a nice touch. Very complex malt bill with rich but restrained sweetness. The tequila flirts around the edges.

Mouthfeel- Just below heavy bodied with healthy carbonation. Some grittiness.

Drinkability- Deceptive and thus dangerous. The heat mellows as you go and this is great at 6 bucks for a 6 oz pour given its very limited release.

Overall- Really good, almost great. Wouldn't rank it as high as the mean but still a really good offering from Firestone Walker. (1,548 characters)

4.34/5  rDev -1.8%

So glad I was able to score three of the last four bottles of this available at Bottleworks.

A: Exactly what you'd expect. Dark (not totally opaque) inky, viscous. A vigorous pour produces a solid finger and a half worth of a khaki/mocha colored head. The head goes away pretty quickly, as you'd expect in a beer this big, but it sticks around as a nice off white ring around the glass. Only the slightest amount of lacing is left on the glass as I drink it. Honestly this beer looks kind of intimidating, but not in a bad way....if that makes any sense.

S: Oh my god....TEQUILA! I'm not fan of tequila, it's one of my worst enemies, but the way the tequila barrel aging in this beer comes through in the nose is divine. I can't exactly describe it, but this beer has that familiar FW barrel aged beer scent that I'm used to, at least it's the scent I get in the anniversary beers they brew, and Parabola, and Sucaba. Good lord, the tequila, seriously. Wow. Chocolate, vanilla, coffee, coconut, and maybe slight bourbon....? Seriously though, the overwhelming scent I get is all tequila, and not that cheap shit that will get you into a bar fight, I'm talkin like top shelf tequila here. Amazing.

T: Unfortunately the taste doesn't quite live up to the nose. I mean don't get me wrong, it tastes amazing, but the overwhelming flavor I get right now is just BOOZE, especially as it warms up. Although, I'm keeping in mind this is a very fresh bottle, and at almost 14% abv I'm not surprised that it's so boozy. Very sweet, but finishes very nice, just a slight pleasant lingering sweetness. Warms you inside as it goes down.

M: Slides across the palate very slick. Almost oil like. Not too thick. Carbonation is straight up perfection, not flat, but just enough carbonation to let you know it's beer.

O: I'm not sure why, but my expectations weren't that high on this beer, but honestly it's one of the best and most unique beers I've tried. I'm tackling this bomber alone because I just couldn't wait to try it, but this is definitely one that I'd recommend sharing with some friends that will really appreciate it. Firestone Walker has the barrel aged "big beer" game on straight up total lockdown (in my opinion) Parabola, Sucaba, the anniversary beers, and now this...all of them world class. I can't wait to see how amazing Velvet Merkin is once it hits the market this year. Anyways, I'm extremely grateful that I live in a city that has members of the PNC so that I was able to buy some bottles of this at their bottleshop. Thanks to Firestone Walker, Matt Bonney, Matt Vandenberg, and the rest of the PNC members for making this possible. I can't wait to see what some age does to this amazing beer, thank god I have 2 more bottles. Definitely in the top 10 beers I've had. I'll be sure to edit this review in a year or so when I decide to crack another bottle. (2,873 characters)

4.34/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

8oz pour on draft at Falling Rock in Denver, CO. Poured into an unlabeled goblet today, 11/18/2014.

Looks positively black. Dark opaque and black body with a lovely one finger width head with great retention that finally drops into a thick mocha film. Not much lacing.

Smells damn sweet. Lots of oak and a delicious, chocolately sweetness with a nice sharp rye-like flavor to cut the sweetness. Very good, not quite decadent but more than enjoyable.

Similar to the nose- lots of chocolate dark malt sweetness cut by a nice sharpness and plenty of barrel oak. Very interesting combination with the touch of tequila but not über complex. Very tasty nonetheless.

Phenomenal. Thick bodied, creamy and fluffy on the palate. Leaves a nice heat on the back end similar to doing tequila.

Great mouthfeel, unique sharpness and sweet chocolates accompanied to the excellent oak barrel presence as expected of Firestone. I suspect it's higher rated because of the limited bottle production and I wouldn't give up what people ask for bottles. At the same time I'm glad to have tried this thanks to the folks at Falling Rock. (1,123 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

on-tap x2; Burgundian

I was out of town when this limited-release bottle whale blew through Bottleworks and I was beginning to think I was never going to have an opportunity to try it until Burgundian put it on tap for their uber-casual 2nd anniversary. Dark bodied and sporting a full mocha head - this beast is heavy on the chocolate, toffee and vanilla. The tequila barrel imparts boozy and wooden notes, but no discernible tequila flavors for me (450 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Batch 001, enjoyed 7 March 2013 at Falling Rock Taproom in Denver, CO.

A: Pours an opaque black with brown-tinged light visible through the edges. 1/2 finger of mocha colored head quickly dissipates to a thin ring. No lacing.

S: Strong aromas up front of tequila/agave, coffee, caramel, alcohol, molasses, and mild cocoa powder. Chocolate emerges more as it warms, and tequila becomes quite strong.

T/M: Wow, this is a huge beer. Strong roasty and chocolatey flavors are accompanied by a strong tequila presence. Huge smooth tequila character is present throughout the beer, leading into a coffee roasty finish. The alcohol in the beer is highly evident and it imparts a coolness to drinking from the volatility. Tequila and chocolate open up with warming, and a mild coconut emerges. Mouthfeel is thick, coating, with low to moderate carbonation. Lightly astringent and very sweet.

O: This is a really enjoyable beer with a very prominent tequila flavor. While tequila is not really my thing, I really enjoyed this beer. (1,027 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap @ Toronado in SF

A - Pitch black with a thin layer of light brown head.

S - Oak, light tequila, chocolate, roast. Lots of barrel but not an intense tequila aroma.

T - Big barrel notes come to the forefront immediately: Oak, char, and light tequila. Chocolate, roast and molasses are all present as well.

M - Full body. Smooth. Light carbonation. (359 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Reviewed from notes taken at Toronado, San Diego.

A- Pitch black oil thick brew from the taps into a small flute. Dark mocha colored head forms on top of it. A nice size and good retention. Nice ring remains as well as some islands and lace is patchy.

S- Rich chocolate and roast malts lead the way like Parabola but there is a distinct difference with the barrel feel, semi-tequila hint.

T -Super rich roast chocolate malts with some vanilla and tequila character, that hard to describe flavor in only tequila, just a hint of it. Oak vanilla, pepper, spice and some fruit feel. Barrel feel is quite nice.

MF- Super thick and chewy with smooth, moderately high carbonation. Finishes with a substantial but nice warmth.

Reminds me a lot of Parabola in the base beer but the barrel feel is substantially different enough to make this have its own character. Would love to try again but don't see that happening. (914 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Wowcoolman for sharing this one at his tasting.

Batch # 001.

Pours an almost opaque super dark brown with a foamy dark khaki head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, cocoa, alcohol, and wood aromas. Taste is much the same with cocoa, wood, and alcohol flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of woody bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good beer with an awesome barrel aged presence but I am not getting any discernible tequila aromas or flavors. (692 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

SEP 26, 2014
Bottle, batch 1. Bottled 17 May 2013, consumed 26 Sept 2014. Thanks, Chris! Pours jet black with a dense, creamy, dark brown head with excellent retention and lacing. The nose is awesome. Rich, dense and layered, there’s dark chocolate, dark wheat bread, buckwheat honey, and a beautiful tequila note, rich with its agave character. Booze is shockingly well hidden. Toasted bread, toasted agave, brown sugar, mild toffee, some earth, a touch of cinnamon. Really good. The palate opens big, full and with a blend of booze and sweetness. Dark brown sugar, toffee, dark chocolate, flavors of German fitness bread and a mild Kahlua note are present. The mid palate is where the tequila character really comes out. Toasted agave, mild vanilla, plenty of tequila flavor. A long, mildly biker, moderately roasty finish with a blend of tequila, caramel, buckwheat honey and dark chocolate are present. Immaculate palate. Exceptional stuff. (946 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had this via On-Tap at Toro SD and also via bottle. Not much variance between the two. Enjoyed this thoroughly. Deep black, with a silky mouthfeel. Hints of caramel and oak, and a sweet finish. With a bit more age, this score would go up higher. Usually hate tequila, but this had notes of it and did it well. Excited to try this again if a certain friend decides to crack his bottle! ;) (387 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
PNC Imperial Buckwheat Stout from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.