PNC Imperial Buckwheat Stout - Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

PNC Imperial Buckwheat StoutPNC Imperial Buckwheat Stout

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.70% ABV

Beer added by: Rifugium on 06-11-2013

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 387 | Reviews: 38

4.75/5  rDev +6%

4.56/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into an Elysian snifter. Pours pitch black with very little carbonation, with only a tiny ring of brown foam around the edge of the glass. Awesome aroma of whisky, dark toasted malt and yes, tequila, possibly a hint of vanilla, but all lighter essences are dominated by the barrel aromas. Flavor is amazing, dark toasted malt, dark dried fruit, coffee, chocolate and vanilla in a high quality liquor base. Tastes very much like a liqueur. Finishes with sweet dark fruit, tequila and chocolate. Medium to full bodied. This is very rich and very nicely balanced. I am floored that the flavor covers the alcohol in this monster, but although there was some in the nose, there is virtually none in the taste. An amazing blended stout. Firestone Walker once again proves to be a master of the barrel.

4.75/5  rDev +6%

4.45/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Wowcoolman for sharing this one at his tasting.

Batch # 001.

Pours an almost opaque super dark brown with a foamy dark khaki head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, cocoa, alcohol, and wood aromas. Taste is much the same with cocoa, wood, and alcohol flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of woody bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good beer with an awesome barrel aged presence but I am not getting any discernible tequila aromas or flavors.

4.56/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap (multiple times) at the toronado yesterday for their anniversary party. The funny thing is I expected it to be just good, perhaps a bit of a boozy mess, but nonetheless enjoyable. What I GOT was bitchslapped across the face by the tastiest stout I may have ever had. This thing is the TRUTH! When I was describing it to my friends today I told them it tasted like a mix between parabola and bcbs. Just thick and chewy. Rich and robust without being too sweet. And this perfect mild spice/heat lingering just so faintly (tequila?) I could not stop raving about it. top 3 favorite stouts ever tasted. $$ in the bank

4.34/5  rDev -3.1%

So glad I was able to score three of the last four bottles of this available at Bottleworks.

A: Exactly what you'd expect. Dark (not totally opaque) inky, viscous. A vigorous pour produces a solid finger and a half worth of a khaki/mocha colored head. The head goes away pretty quickly, as you'd expect in a beer this big, but it sticks around as a nice off white ring around the glass. Only the slightest amount of lacing is left on the glass as I drink it. Honestly this beer looks kind of intimidating, but not in a bad way....if that makes any sense.

S: Oh my god....TEQUILA! I'm not fan of tequila, it's one of my worst enemies, but the way the tequila barrel aging in this beer comes through in the nose is divine. I can't exactly describe it, but this beer has that familiar FW barrel aged beer scent that I'm used to, at least it's the scent I get in the anniversary beers they brew, and Parabola, and Sucaba. Good lord, the tequila, seriously. Wow. Chocolate, vanilla, coffee, coconut, and maybe slight bourbon....? Seriously though, the overwhelming scent I get is all tequila, and not that cheap shit that will get you into a bar fight, I'm talkin like top shelf tequila here. Amazing.

T: Unfortunately the taste doesn't quite live up to the nose. I mean don't get me wrong, it tastes amazing, but the overwhelming flavor I get right now is just BOOZE, especially as it warms up. Although, I'm keeping in mind this is a very fresh bottle, and at almost 14% abv I'm not surprised that it's so boozy. Very sweet, but finishes very nice, just a slight pleasant lingering sweetness. Warms you inside as it goes down.

M: Slides across the palate very slick. Almost oil like. Not too thick. Carbonation is straight up perfection, not flat, but just enough carbonation to let you know it's beer.

O: I'm not sure why, but my expectations weren't that high on this beer, but honestly it's one of the best and most unique beers I've tried. I'm tackling this bomber alone because I just couldn't wait to try it, but this is definitely one that I'd recommend sharing with some friends that will really appreciate it. Firestone Walker has the barrel aged "big beer" game on straight up total lockdown (in my opinion) Parabola, Sucaba, the anniversary beers, and now this...all of them world class. I can't wait to see how amazing Velvet Merkin is once it hits the market this year. Anyways, I'm extremely grateful that I live in a city that has members of the PNC so that I was able to buy some bottles of this at their bottleshop. Thanks to Firestone Walker, Matt Bonney, Matt Vandenberg, and the rest of the PNC members for making this possible. I can't wait to see what some age does to this amazing beer, thank god I have 2 more bottles. Definitely in the top 10 beers I've had. I'll be sure to edit this review in a year or so when I decide to crack another bottle.

4.18/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A : Poured a jet black with a light khaki head, some decent head retention leaves a light foamy curtains on the sides of the glass

S: A nice roastiness with a light booziness, some chocolate, coffee, light vanilla and coconut. I barely detect the "infamous" tequila

T: Upfront reminds me of a Parabola. Plenty of roast, vanilla, coconut and coffee. The tequila is sordove undercover until the finish and even then its not as boastful as I believe many, myself included were expecting.

M: Well carbonated, velvety, smooth and very flavorfull. Medium-full to full bodied, not very heavy. No stinging booze or astringency. Just liquid smoothness.

O: Very nice beer by my favorite brewery! This was consumed draft at the Bottleworks release. I was actually wanting a bit more tequila presence.

4.25/5  rDev -5.1%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
PNC Imperial Buckwheat Stout from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.