Hop On Top - Chameleon Brewing

poor

Chameleon Brewing visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerFMAndy on 02-09-2010)
2.5/5  rDev -0.8%

TX-Badger, Aug 02, 2014

Seamacm, Apr 30, 2014

bismarksays, Apr 14, 2014
4.04/5  rDev +60.3%

Probably like many others, I was intrigued by the label's promise of delivering hop aroma In a session beer. The aroma is very interesting - a complex blend of fruit and floral, vegetative, and skunk? No, it didn't quite go there but left me with something that I sort of recognize but can't quite name. This something makes me want more, if only I could name it... What hops do they use? I checked the brewers website and it says Willamette, Tettnang, cascade, and. . . Dried flowers? Assuming they don't mean hop flowers, this is a bait and switch, making me think I'll be smelling lots of hops when in fact the aroma is something else. It's got me thinking summer flowers when it's below zero. It's a bit of a mind trick but it won me over.

pweis909, Feb 15, 2014

rapayn01, Nov 30, 2013

tyleeis, Nov 24, 2013
2.79/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

The Hop On Top is a bit dissappointing. While it is much better than the standards...the name brings high expectations. There is no question that this beer would be great to session on hot days....but if I compare it to others in its style...it just will not eank that high. The beer pours a light golden color with thin white head that is leaving a spotty lace. The scent carries bitter piney hop scent. The taste is mild bitterness and yet somewhat refreshing. The mouthfeel is light in body with decent carbonation. Overall it is ok....for those going to a company picnic in the dead of summer....this beer is a life saver.

WoodBrew, Sep 18, 2013
1.76/5  rDev -30.2%

Okay. I recently was in Milwaukee, and while there, I figured I could find some really good craft beer. I should have just stuck with the Miller/Coors Tour. I knew no one from the area and had nothing to go on, so I took a couple of stabs in the dark and Hop on Top was one of them.
A- Bought the six based on the artwork on the carrier/bottle (note to self-don't do that) Beer was clear, light, clean looking.
S-Nice, hoppy, cirtusy
T-Wow! If there is an animal that eats only cilantro and field grass, this would taste like its urine.
M-like drinking the above
O-like experiencing the above
I expected more from the Milwaukee craft scene.

mfanch8578, Aug 05, 2013
1.25/5  rDev -50.4%

kendrid, Aug 02, 2013
1.71/5  rDev -32.1%

Pours a pretty clean looking gold/orange. Very slight head, slight lacing. Looks little thin. Nothing totally off-putting.

Smell is wierd...reminds me of some really old hops I came across while homebrewing. Lemon? Asprin? Something along those lines. Not good.

Just awful, like the smell but with a terrible, vomit-like aftertaste. Why would they choose to sell this beer?

Mouthfeel is okay. Doesn't come across as thin as it looks in the pour. Not exactly crisp but cut the carbonation is there and it drinks somewhat smooth.

This is an awful awful beer. I could only make it through a third of of it, and I generally try to make it a point to finish every beer I review. Don't let your curiousity get the best of you, don't buy this beer.

mechamifune, Jul 16, 2013

1754th Review on BA
Bottle to Bavarian Lodge Tulip
12oz

Purchased at Binnys Naperville, IL
Never let your aunt pick beers for you.

App- Golden orange with a very see through appearance. The head is a bit small but leaves some very nice cling. Bubbles from the nucleus are quite nice as they slowly meander to the top to create a nice foam.

Smell- Pretty average on the nose. A bit bitter, grainular, mint and musty. Just kinda there.

Taste- Wow. I couldnt finish it. It was like an old AAL that had been left out. Musty, dank, lemon and a bit like a cider that went bad. Not really sure how else to describe this.

Mouth- A lighter medium body with a medium/flat carbonation. Residual bitter and hops.

Drink- I couldnt finish it. DP for me.

FosterJM, Feb 22, 2013

planbee, Feb 17, 2013

derkfromwi, Feb 11, 2013
2.23/5  rDev -11.5%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

It was so tragic how they hopped on top. ... Wait... Anyway, this stuff pours a clear brass topped by a half-finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose has the unmistakable air of sweet baby carrots. That's it. No kidding. I'm pretty sure I haven't encountered this in a beer before... The taste sorta continues the carrot-like trend, but it also has a bit of funky lemon peel and mild sweet biscuit with it for the sake of company. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, this was a strange beer, really, and certainly not in a good way. ...I don't even know what else to say. I'm in shock.

TMoney2591, Feb 02, 2013