Hop On Top - Chameleon Brewing

poor

Chameleon Brewing visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerFMAndy on 02-09-2010)
View: Beers (4) |  Events

muddyh2oblues

05-17-2012 01:25:32 | More by muddyh2oblues
Cullen80

1.2/5  rDev -52.4%

A- Head dissipates with in seconds of complearing the pour. This beer has a nice clear golden hue but is nothing special.

S- The hopes dominate the aroma of this beer excluding all other aromas that might be present.

T- The piney hops are the only flavor this beer offers.

M- The feel of this beer could only be described as watery.

D- The overwhelming flavor and watery feel to this beer destroyed it's drinkability for me.

I received this beer in a beer of the month club shipment and I will be considering giving the other 2 away (maybe to people I don't really like that much)

01-27-2011 03:53:11 | More by Cullen80

1.25/5  rDev -50.4%

08-02-2013 03:07:43 | More by kendrid
fuelvolts

1.33/5  rDev -47.2%

I received this beer in a beer of the month club. I was very excited to try this as I consider myself a hop head. I pray to God I just got a bad batch. This beer was terrible. Smell is awful and the taste us unbearable. It tastes spoiled. Basically an embarrassing excuse for a beer. I would rather drink flat Natural Light than this.

Appearance: the color of Miller lite, very light. Looks like apple juice.
Carbonation: very thin head that dissipates quickly with zero lacing. Over carbonated an burns the tongue.
Smell: spoiled
Taste: not even worth mentioning. Took 4 sips and started gagging. Basically the worst tasting beer I've ever had.

What a terrible beer.

01-27-2011 04:16:48 | More by fuelvolts
vfgccp

1.45/5  rDev -42.5%

Note: This is one of two Chameleon beers my friend received as part of a beer of the month club, and both were severely contaminated.

A - Medium-light grade honey. Pours a decent head. Moderate lace. Ok retention.

S - Pine backdrop to earthy grains. Touch of sawdust.

T - The bottle I had clearly went bad. Dry, dusty flavor with a very unpleasant vegetable aftertaste.

M - Flat. Unpleasant off-taste of vegetables.

D - Bad batch.

01-26-2011 22:45:50 | More by vfgccp
argenti44

1.5/5  rDev -40.5%

I had this in a Pint Glass. I received this in my beer of the month club January edition.

The beer poured a straw yellow with no head. No lacing looked like a glass of Urine.

It had a slight soapy smell with a piney sent in the background.

This was like drinking dishwater. It did have a Piney taste up front with citrus around the edges, but the soapy dishwater taste was the most noticeable.

Very flat with a very watered down feel.

I could hardly finish what I started, but in order to make an accurate assessment I felt I owed it to the brewer to finish.

I am wondering if I received a skunky bottle. I have two more left I will update this review.

01-30-2011 00:55:16 | More by argenti44

Zachtheporter

03-19-2013 19:36:29 | More by Zachtheporter
dtivp

1.63/5  rDev -35.3%

Selection from the BOTM club.

Poured a straw gold with a small white head, nice retention and moderate lacing with a lasting collar.
It goes down hill from here.
Aroma of some floral hops and nothing else.

I can't describe the taste other than nothing and then you were left with a bitter after taste.

Mouthfeel was watery and thin.

I dumped the beer and opened the second bottle and it was the same and got dumped.

02-13-2011 21:32:13 | More by dtivp
marcellaproust

Washington

1.7/5  rDev -32.5%

I was excited to see a Wisconsin brewery make inroads into Nebraska, albeit a pseudo-microbrew. I drank two bottles, opened a third to taste and then tossed it. The stuff is awful and I'm not only disappointed but out of $8.

A: golden amber, coarse weak head

S: strongest quality: fairly standard floral, greeny, veg scent

T: godawful. The hoppy scents lead you to believe that there will be something *there*: but it's bland, watery (I really believe that there is more taste in a Miller or Bud light), absent until the finish--unfortunately, where what I can only describe as candy-scented plastic, the plastic of tupperware, assaults you.

MF: starved

03-25-2011 22:29:17 | More by marcellaproust
mechamifune

1.71/5  rDev -32.1%

Pours a pretty clean looking gold/orange. Very slight head, slight lacing. Looks little thin. Nothing totally off-putting.

Smell is wierd...reminds me of some really old hops I came across while homebrewing. Lemon? Asprin? Something along those lines. Not good.

Just awful, like the smell but with a terrible, vomit-like aftertaste. Why would they choose to sell this beer?

Mouthfeel is okay. Doesn't come across as thin as it looks in the pour. Not exactly crisp but cut the carbonation is there and it drinks somewhat smooth.

This is an awful awful beer. I could only make it through a third of of it, and I generally try to make it a point to finish every beer I review. Don't let your curiousity get the best of you, don't buy this beer.

07-16-2013 21:15:59 | More by mechamifune
rapayn01

Kentucky

1.75/5  rDev -30.6%

11-30-2013 05:17:18 | More by rapayn01
mfanch8578

Indiana

1.76/5  rDev -30.2%

Okay. I recently was in Milwaukee, and while there, I figured I could find some really good craft beer. I should have just stuck with the Miller/Coors Tour. I knew no one from the area and had nothing to go on, so I took a couple of stabs in the dark and Hop on Top was one of them.
A- Bought the six based on the artwork on the carrier/bottle (note to self-don't do that) Beer was clear, light, clean looking.
S-Nice, hoppy, cirtusy
T-Wow! If there is an animal that eats only cilantro and field grass, this would taste like its urine.
M-like drinking the above
O-like experiencing the above
I expected more from the Milwaukee craft scene.

08-05-2013 03:02:52 | More by mfanch8578
Bighuge

1.78/5  rDev -29.4%

Hazy golden. Thin dirty white head. Splotchy patches of lace are left behind. Big bouquet of hops on the nose. Very fragrant. Minty. Garlicy. And yes, onion powder too. Flavor follows suit. Actually, a fairly weak body to support much of anything. Hop flavors are onion and garlic. Malts are missing altogether in the flavor profile. Quite weak with hop flavors that don't appeal to me. I liked Chameleon's witbier. Not this one though.

11-20-2010 03:49:02 | More by Bighuge
uncle8gil

1.78/5  rDev -29.4%

the pour reveales a hazy, golden brew with a crisp, white head. aroma is pretty good: as the label promises, this is an 'aroma ale.' much like that girl in college that looked amazing your freshman year but looked horrific your senior...that girl is this beer. the mouthfeel is thin and watery and the crisp carbonation augments it. the taste is far worse. this beer is the worst tasting beer i have had in recent memory. the fruity esters here have no place in this style and wouldn't be well-done in any other. grape and banana tastes are overwhelming. i am embarrassed this brew comes from wisconsin.

01-10-2011 03:02:19 | More by uncle8gil
Haessly

1.83/5  rDev -27.4%

Serving Type: Bottle

Appearance: Light Golden Bronze, Off-White Head that dissipates quickly.

Smell: Hop aroma that soon turns into smells of Flower, Plastic and Soap.

Taste: Slight Hop and Floral followed by the taste of dirty dishwater. No Malt flavor.

Mouthfeel: Over carbonated. Very thin.

Overall: I want my $9 back. Not sure how this made it out of R&D.

05-29-2011 19:22:50 | More by Haessly
Another6Pack

1.98/5  rDev -21.4%

Pour is alarmingly yellow for an APA. Looks much more like a AAL or ML. Thin, loose head that leaves zero lacing.

Aroma is metallic with notes of gear oil.

Front-end bitterness gives way to dry sourness and powdery hops. Thin body and parching dryness. The flavor seems artificial.

I can drink just about any beer, but this one is tough going.

11-20-2011 20:23:42 | More by Another6Pack