Hop On Top - Chameleon Brewing

Chameleon Brewing visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerFMAndy on 02-09-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop On Top Alström Bros
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
1.15/5  rDev -56.4%

This tastes like a High Life. Nothing about this tastes like an IPA.

I see that there is one "want" for this beer. We don't know each other, but you're just going to have to trust me when I say you do not want this beer. (221 characters)

1.24/5  rDev -53%

A- Head dissipates with in seconds of complearing the pour. This beer has a nice clear golden hue but is nothing special.

S- The hopes dominate the aroma of this beer excluding all other aromas that might be present.

T- The piney hops are the only flavor this beer offers.

M- The feel of this beer could only be described as watery.

D- The overwhelming flavor and watery feel to this beer destroyed it's drinkability for me.

I received this beer in a beer of the month club shipment and I will be considering giving the other 2 away (maybe to people I don't really like that much) (586 characters)

1.38/5  rDev -47.7%

I received this beer in a beer of the month club. I was very excited to try this as I consider myself a hop head. I pray to God I just got a bad batch. This beer was terrible. Smell is awful and the taste us unbearable. It tastes spoiled. Basically an embarrassing excuse for a beer. I would rather drink flat Natural Light than this.

Appearance: the color of Miller lite, very light. Looks like apple juice.
Carbonation: very thin head that dissipates quickly with zero lacing. Over carbonated an burns the tongue.
Smell: spoiled
Taste: not even worth mentioning. Took 4 sips and started gagging. Basically the worst tasting beer I've ever had.

What a terrible beer. (673 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -42%

Note: This is one of two Chameleon beers my friend received as part of a beer of the month club, and both were severely contaminated.

A - Medium-light grade honey. Pours a decent head. Moderate lace. Ok retention.

S - Pine backdrop to earthy grains. Touch of sawdust.

T - The bottle I had clearly went bad. Dry, dusty flavor with a very unpleasant vegetable aftertaste.

M - Flat. Unpleasant off-taste of vegetables.

D - Bad batch. (436 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -40.2%

I had this in a Pint Glass. I received this in my beer of the month club January edition.

The beer poured a straw yellow with no head. No lacing looked like a glass of Urine.

It had a slight soapy smell with a piney sent in the background.

This was like drinking dishwater. It did have a Piney taste up front with citrus around the edges, but the soapy dishwater taste was the most noticeable.

Very flat with a very watered down feel.

I could hardly finish what I started, but in order to make an accurate assessment I felt I owed it to the brewer to finish.

I am wondering if I received a skunky bottle. I have two more left I will update this review. (659 characters)

1.69/5  rDev -36%

Selection from the BOTM club.

Poured a straw gold with a small white head, nice retention and moderate lacing with a lasting collar.
It goes down hill from here.
Aroma of some floral hops and nothing else.

I can't describe the taste other than nothing and then you were left with a bitter after taste.

Mouthfeel was watery and thin.

I dumped the beer and opened the second bottle and it was the same and got dumped. (419 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -33.3%

Pours a pretty clean looking gold/orange. Very slight head, slight lacing. Looks little thin. Nothing totally off-putting.

Smell is wierd...reminds me of some really old hops I came across while homebrewing. Lemon? Asprin? Something along those lines. Not good.

Just awful, like the smell but with a terrible, vomit-like aftertaste. Why would they choose to sell this beer?

Mouthfeel is okay. Doesn't come across as thin as it looks in the pour. Not exactly crisp but cut the carbonation is there and it drinks somewhat smooth.

This is an awful awful beer. I could only make it through a third of of it, and I generally try to make it a point to finish every beer I review. Don't let your curiousity get the best of you, don't buy this beer. (745 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -31.8%

I was excited to see a Wisconsin brewery make inroads into Nebraska, albeit a pseudo-microbrew. I drank two bottles, opened a third to taste and then tossed it. The stuff is awful and I'm not only disappointed but out of $8.

A: golden amber, coarse weak head

S: strongest quality: fairly standard floral, greeny, veg scent

T: godawful. The hoppy scents lead you to believe that there will be something *there*: but it's bland, watery (I really believe that there is more taste in a Miller or Bud light), absent until the finish--unfortunately, where what I can only describe as candy-scented plastic, the plastic of tupperware, assaults you.

MF: starved (658 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -30.3%

Hazy golden. Thin dirty white head. Splotchy patches of lace are left behind. Big bouquet of hops on the nose. Very fragrant. Minty. Garlicy. And yes, onion powder too. Flavor follows suit. Actually, a fairly weak body to support much of anything. Hop flavors are onion and garlic. Malts are missing altogether in the flavor profile. Quite weak with hop flavors that don't appeal to me. I liked Chameleon's witbier. Not this one though. (436 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -29.9%

Serving Type: Bottle

Appearance: Light Golden Bronze, Off-White Head that dissipates quickly.

Smell: Hop aroma that soon turns into smells of Flower, Plastic and Soap.

Taste: Slight Hop and Floral followed by the taste of dirty dishwater. No Malt flavor.

Mouthfeel: Over carbonated. Very thin.

Overall: I want my $9 back. Not sure how this made it out of R&D. (368 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -29.9%

Okay. I recently was in Milwaukee, and while there, I figured I could find some really good craft beer. I should have just stuck with the Miller/Coors Tour. I knew no one from the area and had nothing to go on, so I took a couple of stabs in the dark and Hop on Top was one of them.
A- Bought the six based on the artwork on the carrier/bottle (note to self-don't do that) Beer was clear, light, clean looking.
S-Nice, hoppy, cirtusy
T-Wow! If there is an animal that eats only cilantro and field grass, this would taste like its urine.
M-like drinking the above
O-like experiencing the above
I expected more from the Milwaukee craft scene. (642 characters)

1.89/5  rDev -28.4%

the pour reveales a hazy, golden brew with a crisp, white head. aroma is pretty good: as the label promises, this is an 'aroma ale.' much like that girl in college that looked amazing your freshman year but looked horrific your senior...that girl is this beer. the mouthfeel is thin and watery and the crisp carbonation augments it. the taste is far worse. this beer is the worst tasting beer i have had in recent memory. the fruity esters here have no place in this style and wouldn't be well-done in any other. grape and banana tastes are overwhelming. i am embarrassed this brew comes from wisconsin. (603 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -25.8%

Pour is alarmingly yellow for an APA. Looks much more like a AAL or ML. Thin, loose head that leaves zero lacing.

Aroma is metallic with notes of gear oil.

Front-end bitterness gives way to dry sourness and powdery hops. Thin body and parching dryness. The flavor seems artificial.

I can drink just about any beer, but this one is tough going. (349 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -17.4%

12oz bottle into nonic

a: pale straw, fluffy white head, energetic carbonation

s: this is a weird one. i think this may have been aggressiveness dry hopped, a little musty with a bit of a funky musty mint tone. it reminds me of a spent muslin bag of hops after a few weeks in the secondary fermenter

t: floral dirty sock, milk on the edge of going bad + diacetyl. this is not good.

M: smooth with a bit of carbonation.

O: this beer looks ok, smells suspicious, and tastes bad. avoid. (489 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -15.2%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

It was so tragic how they hopped on top. ... Wait... Anyway, this stuff pours a clear brass topped by a half-finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose has the unmistakable air of sweet baby carrots. That's it. No kidding. I'm pretty sure I haven't encountered this in a beer before... The taste sorta continues the carrot-like trend, but it also has a bit of funky lemon peel and mild sweet biscuit with it for the sake of company. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, this was a strange beer, really, and certainly not in a good way. ...I don't even know what else to say. I'm in shock. (674 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This might be the disappointment of the year. This was a random pick from Beer Crazy, my fault. It looks pretty with the amber color and plentiful carbonation. The aroma was peculiar, like, uncooked pizza dough and a metallic essence, this wasn't a good sign. The taste was flat out nasty. That metallic taste with a sour fruit component that is just plain nasty. Drain pour for this bastard beer. (397 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -8.7%

Poured out a light clear straw color with a flash fizzle for a head, minimal lacing. Smell and flavor are mostly made up of garlic and orange peel, as if somebody mixed Simcoe with Cascade in strange proportions. Light pineapple and floral arrangements come in as well. The metallic aroma that everybody seems to mention appears as well once the glass is at room temp, but for me the most startling aspect is just how very garlicky it is, to the degree that it clashes quite badly with the citrus peel. Aftertaste (or finish, if you would prefer) is a bit of a muddy cilantro-garlic mess, and reminds me of leftover stale pizza. Body is thin and watery as well as undercarbonated.

This one is a bit of a mess, but at least the label art is cute to look at... (759 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Review from notes.

A: Pours a light yellow color with a foamy white head. Decent retention with little bits of lacing.

S: The aroma did not have much in way of hops, despite the name. It actually reminded me of buttered popcorn.

T: A little bit of citrus, mostly some lemon, and a bit grassy. Some pale malts, but really light on flavor. Not bitter whatsoever.

M: Light bodied with high carbonation, somewhat crisp.

O: Too thin and just not much too it. The aroma started things off on the wrong foot, and it just didn't get any better. (546 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed from notes:

appearace: golden yellow with a 1 finger white head

smell: slight hop, biscuit, malts,

taste: butter popcorn, hops, malts,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: rather boring beer. wish it had a better flavor.

Cheers,
The CPJ (266 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -4.9%

12oz bottle with an unreadable mark on the side of the bottle. drank from my sierra nevada hop tulip glass.

A- this one pours out a pale and hazy looking straw colored body. this almost looks like a wheat beer. a small very fizzy white head sits on top and quickly vanishes. little to no lacing left behind.

S- light pale malts up front. after that theres a large blast of floral hops. theres also a faint pine and citric hop thing going on here too.

T- the pale malts once again start this one off. then comes a blast of the most fake tasting floral hops ive ever encountered, and some extremely light citrus to go along with it.

M- light bodied and watery. way too thin. the carbonation is way too high. its almost at soda levels. no bitterness at all.

D- this doesnt have any of the feel to it that a craft beer has. this is something i dont want to have again. (871 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into a standard pint glass

A) More or less golden in color. A rather aggressive pour led to not much head. The head was gone in a hurry. No lacing. Many bubbles rising to the surface. This has the look of a macro lager in many respects.

S) Not much... Watery pine, light floral, a little sweet. It smells like a cleaning product.

T) Very mild citrus and orange peel. The finish is doesn't leave you wanting another sip and the aftertaste lingers in a bad way.

M) Thin and Zesty. A highly carbonated beer.

O) This was just not very good. An almost certain headache waiting to happen. This might be what would happen if you took a decent pale ale, dumped out 75% of the bottle and then added water and some orange peel extract. (760 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

pours a mostly translucent golden color (think bud light) into a sample glass after a tour at sprecher. very limited head with no lacing.

smell is piney hops with a hint of lemon bite. pretty pleasant aroma going on here.

very unbalanced flavor. no malt coming through with harsh pine hops overwhelming. hint of citrus but this beer is pretty poor and comes off as the brewers using all base malt and an overwhelming hop profile. avoid.

thin mouthfeel with moderate carbonation.

one 8oz. sample was all i could handle of this brew. no balance here, not liking the hop profile either. (588 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -1.5%

120z. bottle poured into an imperial pint. No recognized bottle date. Thanks to BeerFMAndy for the bottle.

(A)- Pours a clear pale yellow color that produced an immediately dissipating white head.

(S)- A crisp citrus of pineapple, orange, and mango with a light honey sweetness.

(T)- Very creamy fruitiness with a very light hop bite.

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. Sweet & fruity with almost no hop presence. Rather tropical actually.

(D)- A crisp & refreshing beer with a ton of fruits to quench your thirst. Rather disappointing hop presence even for a pale ale. Tastes more like a fruit beer to me. (622 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -0.4%

Thanks to Onenote81 for sharing this!

Something was definitely off with this batch...I hope. Poured a pleasant looking golden color.

Notes of citrus in the nose along with what certainly seemed to be a little asparagus. I now the "Green" movement has been taking off, but this is a unique twist.

I could taste hops, but they were of a piney variety. Malt came through a little bit at the end, but I wish it had been stronger.

Summarily, I'm not really sure what to make of this. (482 characters)

2.73/5  rDev +3.4%

Thanks to BeerFMAndy for tossing me a bottle of this.

Poured into my pint glass the beer is crystal clear pale yellow. The stark white head rises to about two fingers before settling to leave no lace behind.

The aroma is burst of floral hops. This is followed by lots of fresh cut grass and wet straw. It smells rather similar to Sprechers Hop on Top beer. Hmmm interesting.

The flavor is so lifeless it's insane. Light hops and a mix of wet cardboard and straw. Very muted.

Light highly carbonated body.

Overall they can change the company name but that doesn't change the flavors. Come on Sprecher. You can do better than this. (636 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast