Fire Light - Chameleon Brewing

Fire LightFire Light

Chameleon Brewing visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Pale Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerFMAndy on 05-28-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by eclaycamp:
2.88/5  rDev +1.1%

In the interest of full disclosure, I really have no idea what this beer is. It's called Fire Light Beer, and there appears to be a Chameleon near a campfire on the bottle. Okay then. The brewery is Chameleon so I guess that makes sense. Pours a semi transluscent straw with minimal head. Looks like a standard American pilsner for the most part. Smells a bit like cornbread and oyster crackers. Some lemongrass characteristics. Not much here in terms of taste. Some vague notes of cracker up front with hints of grass in the middle. Very metallic in the finish, almost like sucking on a penny. I don't like the way this finishes at all. The mouthfeel is somewhat watery, it's pretty fizzy and easy drinking. Not very bitter. Overall it's slightly better than most of the other light beers on the market, but this isn't my style of beer. Probably a good beer to give to someone who mainly drinks Miller, Bud, or Coors. For the rest of you, I'd recommend passing and picking something else up. Then again, if you're looking for a craft beer to pound down on a weekend and tie one on, you could do a lot worse than this.

2.25/5  rDev -21.1%

3.15/5  rDev +10.5%

On tap at Sprecher's Pub, no mention of the Chameleon name on the menu. (listed abv: 4.6%) Billed as a "crisp and refreshing ale" on the menu, so this may technically be an American Blonde Ale (or a menu typo). Review from written notes.

Dark brassy gold, high clarity, visible trails of champagne carbonation streaming upward. Vague biscuit/cracker scent.

Clean and mellow with a crisp bite, some light apple and biscuit flavors. Simple and clean, it's easy to see this beer as a traditional pilsner in terms of style. Purely sessionable and non-intellectual. No flaws or off flavors, though there's little to distinguish it from others on the market.

3.73/5  rDev +30.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sprecher nonic. 4.2% ABV, 130 Calories, 22 Carbs, 10090 (March 30, 2010) on the neck.

A - Fire Light pours a completely clear and highly carbonated pale golden yellow. Despite the tall pour the head only made it up to about one finger tall. Low retention to the cloud-white foam and little lace left over.

S - Pale malts seem just a bit thin in the nose. They're backed up by a soft, smooth wheat aroma and touches of husky graininess. Hops go almost unnoticed but upon further inspection, small hints give it a light balance. It's just very plain overall here.

T - Pale malts are bigger than the other ingredients like wheat and husky grains that appear in the aroma. Again though, hops are almost absent. A hint of minerals come through on the finish. A decent light beer flavor. Not offending like most light beers.

M - Fully carbonated and crisp with a nice bite to the finish, this light-bodied beer goes down smooth without being thin.

D - Hey, it's not the best beer out there but for what it is, a light beer (but really, Guinness has less calories than this) it goes down fantastically. In the summer this beer will be incredibly refreshing and thirst-quenching. A six-pack on a hot day wont last long at all.

3.03/5  rDev +6.3%

12oz longneck.
A) Pours with a two finger thick white head. Clear body. Golden straw color. Semi-sticky lacing.
S) Grainy. Sugary malt aroma. A subtle caramel notes.
T) Grainy. Sugary sweet. Not much beyond the grainy and sugary taste. I would liken this to beer soda.
M) Fizzy. Light body. Dry in the finish.
O) A light beer not enticing enough to make me want another.

2.28/5  rDev -20%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. I picked this up from the brewery a couple of weeks ago so I have to think that it is fresh.

A-Pale straw yellow with about a finger of head that goes away fairly quickly.

S-I opened one just a couple days after I got back from Milwaukee and wasn't impressed with the smell so I didn't want to use it as one of my first reviews, well it is still one of my first reviews and I am still put off by the smell. I can't really place it by my impression is scrubbing bubbles, but my wife doesn't smell anything like that just the malt she says, so maybe I'm wrong and it just smells like corn.

T-Light beer corn taste

M-good carbonation

O-A year ago I probably would have like this, maybe they are trying to convert people like me over from the dark side of the evil empire BMC and for that maybe it is a first step but after years of BMC I am not really looking to go back.

3.03/5  rDev +6.3%

Bottle thanks to BeerFMAndy. Served in a Cantillon tulip.

Pours a clear golden color without too many visible carbonation bubbles. Initial pour brings a single-finger white head that fades fairly quickly into a bubbly cap and a thin collar without too much lacing. The nose is a bit grainy and metallic without all that much more. Some mild bread crust as it warms. The flavor is quite a bit better than the nose with a mild bread character that is slightly pleasing. Something in the finish is a bit off with some mild creamed corn character. DMS never made anyone happy; thankfully it's at a fairly-low level here. Drinkability is decent enough. Not bad.

3.18/5  rDev +11.6%

12oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint. No bottled date found, but I am sure it was bottled in 2010. Thanks to BeerFMAndy for yet another brew!

(A)- Pours a clear yellow color that produced a quickly dissipating white head.

(S)- I smell. . . nothing. Well, there is some straw-like dryness, but not much else.

(T)- A dry/pale cornmeal-like straw taste with a dash of honey and lemon sweetness.

(M)- A decent if not a little too high of a carbonation level. Dry and just a tad bitter. Kinda grassy.

(D)- I can see how this might fit the style, but there is just not much to it. Light and refreshing.

2.76/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

Wait, hang on: I'm having an uncontrollable Lite Brite flashback... Back. This stuff pours a mostly clear straw topped by a finger of relatively short-lived off-white foam. The nose comprises mild biscuit, a twist of lemon, and what seems like grass of some sort. The taste brings in more of the same, in all of its bland glory. Sorry, I gotta call 'em as I see 'em. The body is a hefty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a slightly watery feel. Overall, this is what my parents likely think of when they tell me things taste like "beer". Generic "beer". It's so bland I suppose I could drink plenty of it, but I sincerely doubt I'd really want to. So, I guess I can't rightly say this stuff is bad, but I can say it's far from anything I would call good.

2.2/5  rDev -22.8%

This beer was chosen last in a mismatch 6 pack my friend and I put together. He picked this one based on the design of the lable, I think.

A- Very light yellow color with almost no head.

S- not much smell

T-Carbonated water and slight kick of spices in the after taste.

M- The carbonation is really heavy, is a very light beer.

Overall: This beer was not impressive, it left me with an after taste that has led me to these low scores. Too much carbonation and not enough flavor for my liking.

3.5/5  rDev +22.8%

3.05/5  rDev +7%

12 oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a Guinness goblet in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are average.

A: Pours a one finger head of slight cream, bad thickness, and average retention. Colour is a clear yellow. Rather mundane.

Sm: A pleasant light hop aroma with some lemon and mango fruit esters. Clean barley. A mild to moderate strength aroma. Very enjoyable, fresh, and inviting.

T: Refreshing clean barley with a light hop presence and the aforementioned tropical citrusy fruit esters. More subtle than expected, yet still quite simple. A bit boring, but rather enjoyable and fresh. Balanced. A good summer's day beer. Quite tasty for what it is.

Mf: Smooth and wet, just as it should be - but unfortunately a bit watery. It suits the refreshing aspect of the beer, but cheapens the flavours.

Dr: Highly drinkable, but also low alcohol. It's refreshing and nice, but I wouldn't get it again. Maybe on draught.

C+

2.85/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to BeerFMAndy for grabbing this one for me.

Poured into my pint glass the beer is crystal clear plae yellow. I got about two fingers of bright white head with an aggressive pour. Some sticky lac eis left behind after settling.

The aroma is not real pronounced. Not that I was expecting much froma light beer. Sweet toasted malt. Just a bit of grassy earthiness and a tiny hint of hops.

The flavor is again nothing spectacular. Simple malt and grains that taste a lot like corn. Typical bite for the style. A mineral water like presence sort of ruins things for me. At least the finish is clean.

Light body with loads of carbonation.

Overall it's better than most adjunct stuff but is that really a compliment? Won't be picking this one up anytime soon.

2.5/5  rDev -12.3%

This arrived in the amazing clubs beer of the month club.

I assume it is supposed to be an American Blonde Lager. Bud Select 55 tastes better. I never thought I could say that. A hint of soapy crackers in odor.

This is moderately fizzy water, little taste, not at all hoppy, but claims 4.2% ABV.

I have to wonder if the brewery botched this batch and let it go out to fulfill a contract to the beer club. It is not as good as other reviews suggest.

Not sure what to do with the other two bottles in the box. Terrible.

2.98/5  rDev +4.6%

Very light pale yellow color with a fizzy head that quickly falls back down to nothing, no lacing. Smells and tastes of very faint levels of cereal grain with a hint of adjunct and a little pinch of lemon. Somewhat watery and thin, even for the style. Nothing really special to speak of here.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »