Scarlhet - Epic Ales

ScarlhetScarlhet

Epic Ales visit their website
Washington, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: czechsaaz on 12-10-2010)
Reviews by Kakaraht:
3.33/5  rDev +18.9%

A: Pours a hazy amber with two thumbs of thick head that has awesome retention.

A: Smells Indian, the caraway and cumin are very clearly present. I get hints of pale malt, but the cumin is a little over dominant.

T: It has a pale almost sandy cumin flavor right of the start, it mingles with the spiciness of the hops, and over takes the faint pale malt and toasted caraway.

M: The cumin leaves the body very thin and gives a dry almost chalky finish.

D: Not a repeater for me, but I definitely enjoyed the uniqueness of it.

Kakaraht, Feb 20, 2011

Kevlee722, Mar 18, 2012

Birdlegs, Jan 11, 2012
3.05/5  rDev +8.9%

Not much info on the beer from Bottleworks. Nothing on Epic's website. No ABV on the bottle just "Malt Beverage brewed with cumin ad carraway."

Aroma is tons of cumin. That pretty much dominates everything.

Deep amber and pours with a thick head that becomes a 1/4 inch solid layer of foam that leaves a lot of lacing. Very slightly hazy.

From the taste, the base beer seems like a standard pale ale. There's moderate hop bitterness and a little hop flavor. But the spices really blow all that away. I get something that reminds me of rye bread (caraway) but I also get a weird metallic aftertaste. And then there's cumin. Lots of it. Add in a kind of dirt/earth thing.

Medium bodied with a nice creamy carbonation.

This is a tough one. I've never had anything quite like it. I've liked all the other Epic beers but this one doesn't work for me personally. The spice is really in my face and I don't dig it. Your mileage may vary. I admire them for putting such an extremely strange beer out there.

czechsaaz, Dec 10, 2010
2.98/5  rDev +6.4%

I will preface this by saying that beer is one of the few beverages I can leave within reach of my dog and not worry about him stealing. Only once before have I seen him drink beer, and that was when I spilt some blackberry porter....until now. For whatever reason, the cumin and caraway seem to attract him.

Cloudy dull amber with a really big head. Cumin dominates the scent. I really can't even detect much else. A bit of sweetness, maybe. Light malts I guess.

Very savoury, almost spicy taste that leaves a mild burning in my throat. Caraway, which compliments the rye and then...bam! Cumin. This starts to come off as a curry beer. Not horrible, but the strong flavour forces me to take this one slow.

I'm glad I tried this, but I don't think its one I'll have even on an occasional basis.

But my dog likes it.

BDTyre, Jan 25, 2011
1.43/5  rDev -48.9%

22oz bottle purchased at Bottleworks in Seattle. Waxed with twine on the cap. Kind of like the twine idea. Made it easier to get the cap off.

A - Pours a medium black. Small soapy tan head dies quickly, leaves zero lacing.
S - Hard to describe the aroma. Faint notes of various muddled spices. Reminds me of a muted winter warmer.
T - I have no idea where to begin. This is all over the place and not in a good way. Slightly tart/sour, with a salty finish. Random spices, but hard to detect. Vinegar.
M - Medium body, but feels gritty. Chalky. Not pleasant.
O - Something did not go as planned with this brew. Tastes sour and infected, and I can't get past the salty gritty feel to it. I don't drain-pour many beers, but this was one. Not recommended in the least bit.

Note: After my review I read the others. I get no hint of cumin or caraway. I even went to the spice cabinet and opened the cumin just to make sure. And mine was definately black, not amber or any other color. Double-checked my bottle to make sure I was reviewing the correct beer. Something must really be off, but regardless, this was an awful beer.

mrandypandy, Oct 16, 2011
Scarlhet from Epic Ales
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.