Cinco Plantas - Epic Ales

No picture uploaded.

Epic Ales visit their website
Washington, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: distantmantra on 07-04-2011)
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.93/5  rDev +56%

22 oz. bottle poured into an 8. oz tulip at Epic Ale's taproom. July, 2nd 2011.

3-grain Saison made from wheat, oats, barley, Falconer hops and epazote (Mexican cooking herb).

A: Cloudy golden color with a thin head.

S: Very briny aroma with a hint of orange.

T: Sour olive brine, rosemary, thyme with citrus and herb notes.

M: Medium carbonation.

O: Very unique beer, I've never had anything like it and I'm not sure if I'll ever see anyone else do the same. Very much worth seeking out.

distantmantra, Jul 04, 2011
1.4/5  rDev -44.4%

Although I have had a couple of good beers from Epic Ales that were drinkable. Cinco Plantas was not. It was dominated by a sour, ester, and band aid flavor. I would guess that fermentation temperatures were too high and that the fermenter may have been contaminated.

I will usually finish a beer, even if it is bad. This beer I had to dump.

I respect Epic Ales direction of trying new things and brewing with Sake yeast. But this beer was not drinkable.

jellikit, Aug 22, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +38.9%

Telestic, Feb 19, 2013
3.35/5  rDev +32.9%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into an 8 oz. tulip at Epic Ales tasting room (this review is from my notes taken on 7/02/11).

A - Poured a hazy orange and brown hue, with a 1/2 finger of small bubble head. A bit of retention, leaving patchy lace.

S - A candied orange nose punctuated with spice like BBQ sauce. The candied orange gives way to tangerine, and an herby/briny base becomes apparent.

T - Immediate briny flavor, with notes of spicy peat, followed by the tangerine sweetness. This is followed by spicy tea herbiness, finishing with a sour ale tang amidst more peaty spiciness.

M - Twangy sharp sensation, but with mild carbonation. Smooth texture witha medium body, and a dry finish.

D - A very unique flavor, spicy but not in a "cayenne hot" kind of way. It's a great sipping beer, but not very sessionable. Worth a try because you'll be hard-pressed to find a flavor profile like this anywhere else.

Sky2625, Jul 14, 2011
1.68/5  rDev -33.3%

I purchased a 22 oz. of Cinco Plantas, pouring it into a 10 oz tasting glass at home. The bottle says that Cinco Plantas is brewed with epazote, which is a central American herb with anise-like qualities.

Color: The beer was deep golden color, opaque, with moderate head retention.

Smell & Flavor: There was an overwhelming ester smell and taste to the beer. This manifested as an awkwardly sweet, mildly banana-like odor, that typically indicates that the beer was fermented at too high of a temperature (or, sometimes, insufficient aeration). I believe the brewer may have done this intentionally to balance the sourness of the epazote, but for me, it did not work. I could not escape the esters, and I did not notice much complexity from the epazote. (Was the epazote added to the boil too early?)

Mouthfeel: OK.

Overall, I could not drink the beer. The fermentation was just flawed. Though I do highly support Epic Ales in their exploration of new styles and flavors, and I hope their future brews are more successful.

panacea, Aug 01, 2011
1.25/5  rDev -50.4%

22oz bottle purchased at Bottleworks in Seattle.

A - Pours a nice semi-clear yellow/orange with a white head.
S - Oh god. Burnt rubber and melting plastic.
T - Slight citrus notes with an overwhelming rubbery plastic finish. A little bit of nail polish remover in the aftertaste.
M - I can't really drink enough to get a good take on the mouthfeel.
O - Wow. Terrible is the first thing that comes to mind. I'm sure behind the rubber and plastic there is some semblance of a beer, but I can't get past a few sips to find out. Avoid this like the plague.

mrandypandy, Dec 08, 2011
Cinco Plantas from Epic Ales
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.